Saleh: Becton Working His Tail Off; Competition at Left Tackle

Mekhi Becton

Robert Saleh had some kind words for Mekhi Becton and gave an update on the left tackle position heading into training camp. It will be officially be up for grabs with Mekhi Becton and George Fant battling it out in training camp.

On Becton’s progress…
We’ve been in constant communication with him, feel like he’s doing a really good job. Really excited to see him come back. He’s putting in the work, it’s not easy going through what he’s going through. I’ll speak for him, I do know when he does come back, he’s going to be a ball of butcher knives. So, just really excited to get him back.

On Becton’s recovery from injury…
Just in general, he’s a very large man and he’s been working on that knee. The road back for him is going to be harder than a guy like me who, if I had the same injury, I’m lighter, it is what it is. I know he’s working his tail off and really excited to get him back.

On if Becton will participate in OTAs…
I’m not sure about that one yet, but excited to get him back for OTAs.

On the left tackle spot…
We’ll see how that works out, that’s stuff that we’re talking through and going through all of OTAs. Like I said, George (Fant) has earned the right to be in the conversation to have that left tackle spot and Mekhi is out there. Call it a competition if you want. We know what George has done and really excited to get him back, too.

The post Saleh: Becton Working His Tail Off; Competition at Left Tackle appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Just now, Warfish said:

I'm choosing to be optimistic about Becton right up to the point where he doesn't play or play well in Preseason.  If he gets to that point, my optimism for him ends.

Till then, hope wins out*.

*with appropriate contingency planning, of course.

Yeah because big dudes with bad knees always  ….. damn, not the way I was hoping that would go. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm choosing to be optimistic about Becton right up to the point where he doesn't play or play well in Preseason.  If he gets to that point, my optimism for him ends.

Maybe the most intelligent, reasonable take on this thing this board has seen. Good job. I agree with you.

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's where everybody should have been the day the season ended.  All this hand wringing and criticism has been needless and over the top and incredibly speculative.  

c'mon.  okay it's a little odd that it took him so long to recover from his injury.  but does anyone know how had it really was beyond saleh coming out early and saying it was a 6-8 week recovery?  every person heals differently so whatever kept becton out could've been very reasonable.  but then there are the comments about him not being a very good tackle.  well, he certainly showed he could play two seasons ago.  and might i remind everyone that the rams just won the sb with a 40 year old left tackle.

the bottom line is i'm pretty optimistic about him coming back and playing well.

21 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

It feels like they're building him up to trade him. 

It's certainly possible. What's at least encouraging is - even if that's the case - it doesn't sound like they're going to go with any ridiculous plans like draft an OT at #4 and still keep both Fant and Becton.

You don't publicly butter up a recent 1st round pick, with 1 productive season in his only healthy year, with pre-draft plans of then benching him like he's the kind of depth teams find in mid-late rounds or with $2-3MM veteran FAs.

What's not at all encouraging is the idea that there still might be doubt Becton will be ready for OTAs, still recovering from an early-September injury.

I know he's big - huge, really - but that's a long ****ing time even if the doctors did overestimate the return date by gauging it based on someone else, that's overboard for recovery time. 8 weeks doesn't just become 8 months unless he injured something else during his original rehab. 

• Upvote 1