Merged Becton Threads

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

3. Here comes Mekhi: Minicamp runs Tuesday and Wednesday. Unlike OTA practices, minicamp is mandatory. Saleh expects every player to attend, including tackle Mekhi Becton, who didn't participate in the nine weeks of voluntary work. The Monday pre-camp physical will be the organization's first in-person look at him since the end of the season. He's not expected to practice.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/89728/fewer-voices-in-zach-wilsons-ear-should-be-good-thing-for-new-york-jets

I thought he was training with the best oline coach in the world? I guess not.

The Jets will begin their 2022 three-day mandatory minicamp on Tuesday, June 14, which will run through Thursday, June 16.

They will make certain he’ll be ready for TC

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

3. Here comes Mekhi: Minicamp runs Tuesday and Wednesday. Unlike OTA practices, minicamp is mandatory. Saleh expects every player to attend, including tackle Mekhi Becton, who didn't participate in the nine weeks of voluntary work. The Monday pre-camp physical will be the organization's first in-person look at him since the end of the season. He's not expected to practice.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/89728/fewer-voices-in-zach-wilsons-ear-should-be-good-thing-for-new-york-jets

I think your headline is a bit deceiving in that Mecki is showing up for the first time in almost a year of not playing, and the Jets need to assess exactly where he is.  It's not like Mecki said that he won't practice, or that he is still injured, but based upon an initial assessment, I think it's more likely that he will go through a bunch of drills or perhaps movements to see where he is.

While he's not expected to practice, if everything checks out, he still might practice.  I do agree that it's unlikely, but certainly not impossible.

To me, the bigger headline was that Shephard was a free agent, and turned down a higher offer of $150,000.00 to stay with the Jets.  Now, that may not seem like a lot of money, but he only got $1.1 Million on a one year deal with the Jets, so 150K is a significant amount of money to pass up.  

For this reason, I will be rooting hard for Shephard to do well.  Loyalty seems to be a vanishing quality in the world of sports these days, and Shephard wanting to be on this Jets team says a lot to me.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Alka said:

I think your headline is a bit deceiving in that Mecki is showing up for the first time in almost a year of not playing, and the Jets need to assess exactly where he is.  It's not like Mecki said that he won't practice, or that he is still injured, but based upon an initial assessment, I think it's more likely that he will go through a bunch of drills or perhaps movements to see where he is.

While he's not expected to practice, if everything checks out, he still might practice.  I do agree that it's unlikely, but certainly not impossible.

To me, the bigger headline was that Shephard was a free agent, and turned down a higher offer of $150,000.00 to stay with the Jets.  Now, that may not seem like a lot of money, but he only got $1.1 Million on a one year deal with the Jets, so 150K is a significant amount of money to pass up.  

For this reason, I will be rooting hard for Shephard to do well.  Loyalty seems to be a vanishing quality in the world of sports these days, and Shephard wanting to be on this Jets team says a lot to me.

The Jets have been telling us he's been working out on his own with his own trainer. If he cant practice then that was obviously a lie. 

• Thumb Down 4

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets have been telling us he's been working out on his own with his own trainer. If he cant practice then that was obviously a lie. 

They have also been telling us he's still rehabbing and far too many around here simply ignored that.

When his rehab will be complete should be the question we're asking.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Alka said:

This seems reasonable and may very well be true but we don't know this is why. It would be nice if ESPN could have done some journalisming on that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

lol

Whats so funny?  Player who come back from a year off due to injury sit out of first mandatory run though all the time?  Did he ask out or are the Jets holding him out because June isnt all that important?

Is Lawson practicing?  Fant?  

2 minutes ago, Alka said:

I respectfully completely disagree with your assessment.  Mecki is a huge investment, and a #1 priority for this team to start at either tackle positions on opening day.  No one has seen the guy on a football field in 9 months, and coming off of a major knee injury.  If I were the braintrust of the Jets, I would be extremely careful, (not careless) with my investment.  I would assess where he is physically, and assess his health and abilities before I throw him out there full throttle.  

I call that being smart.  Being stupid would be to think he will just show up after 9 months and everything that the dude went through will be forgotten.  

Saying that he probably won't practice is a safe bet.  A safe bet because I give the Jets more credit than the average Jets fan who reads that headline and says "same old Mecki".  

I have been one of his biggest critics since his injury went on for what it seems like forever.  But to me, it is a no-brainer to be overly cautious with him at this early juncture.

Sunk cost. I think the Jets know this and are counting down the seconds to get him off the roster . These are glorified walk throughs. I don’t see him ever playing for the Jets again if he can’t practice in shorts at this juncture. Something is clearly off.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 5

I respectfully completely disagree with your assessment.  Mecki is a huge investment, and a #1 priority for this team to start at either tackle positions on opening day.  No one has seen the guy on a football field in 9 months, and coming off of a major knee injury.  If I were the braintrust of the Jets, I would be extremely careful, (not careless) with my investment.  I would assess where he is physically, and assess his health and abilities before I throw him out there full throttle.  
I call that being smart.  Being stupid would be to think he will just show up after 9 months and everything that the dude went through will be forgotten.  
Saying that he probably won't practice is a safe bet.  A safe bet because I give the Jets more credit than the average Jets fan who reads that headline and says "same old Mecki".  
I have been one of his biggest critics since his injury went on for what it seems like forever.  But to me, it is a no-brainer to be overly cautious with him at this early juncture.
Yeah and I were the Jets I tell.him to get his ass into camp so OUR guys can check his progress. Nine months after an injury that was supposed to take 4-6 weeks to recover from ... something is off.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This seems reasonable and may very well be true but we don't know this is why. It would be nice if ESPN could have done some journalisming on that.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  We are all speculating on Mecki right now, because the article doesn't give the whole picture.  Congratulations on your common sense.

• Upvote 2

I'm not passing judgement or making unfounded predictions, I'm waiting for the truth to unfold.  You should try it.  Maybe people will stop looking at you cross-eyed.
Do you really think the truth will unfold before your eyes here ?? .. I have some land in the Catskills if your interested.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sunk cost. I think the Jets know this and are counting down the seconds to get him off the roster . These are glorified walk throughs. I don’t see him ever playing for the Jets again if he can’t practice in shorts at this juncture. Something is clearly off.

While I think he's unlikely to play - I can't image the Jets don't expect him to play...

They have done nothing to address the RT position.  If they thought he was a goner for sure  - I would like to think JD would have made a serious effort to upgrade the RT spot..

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Yeah and I were the Jets I tell.him to get his ass into camp so OUR guys can check his progress. Nine months after an injury that was supposed to take 4-6 weeks to recover from ... something is off.

I think a lot is off.  Does the guy care about football?  Does he really love the game?  If it were me, I would get to Florham Park at every opportunity that I could, so that I can more in sync with the coaches, the trainers, and my teammates.

Personally, I don't believe in his mental or emotional attitude as a professional.  I do think he has all the potential and talent in the world, but that's just not enough.  

If the Jets could trade him for a 1st round pick today, I would be on board with it.  Unfortunately, the Jets will use this season to decide if Becton is the long term answer or not.

If I had to bet, I would bet no.  I and every Jets fan hope I am wrong.

• Upvote 2

Here's an interesting read.  How soon we forget.  This is the foundation for those who believe he will return and pick up where he left off.  There's a lot of hearsay to the contrary, but no facts to support those claims, it's just attention-seeking nonsense.  It just seems odd to me that so many so-called Jets fans are not giving him the benefit of doubt, but instead slandering the guy and belittling the team for believing in him.  I just don't see the satisfaction in that, unless your a Dolphins or Patriots fan.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/01/07/mekhi-becton-criticism-stop/

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Do you really think the truth will unfold before your eyes here ?? .. I have some land in the Catskills if your interested.

Yes, it will.  Either he'll be good, or he won't.  What's so hard to understand about that?   You scare me.

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

Honestly, I think the question is what is he rehabbing from?  Seems like we never got a straight answer on that. Carl Lawson is back running, and we know what happened to him. Seriously, this whole thing stinks more every day. 

Yes, there's something else going on here.   I honestly have no idea what though.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Here's an interesting read.  How soon we forget.  This is the foundation for those who believe he will return and pick up where he left off.  There's a lot of hearsay to the contrary, but no facts to support those claims, it's just attention-seeking nonsense.  It just seems odd to me that so many so-called Jets fans are not giving him the benefit of doubt, but instead slandering the guy and belittling the team for believing in him.  I just don't see the satisfaction in that, unless your a Dolphins or Patriots fan.

I appreciate your bringing up this article, but there are reasons for concern.

Mecki has had opportunities to show up for non-mandatory practices, and he chose to forego those opportunities.  He has not seen a football field in 9 months, and the Jets have made it clear that they wanted the guy to show up at Florham Park, though not mandatory.  Mecki even said himself last year in 2021 that he would not miss the non mandatory practices in future years, but he has done exactly that.

To me, when you start putting the pieces of the puzzle together, it just doesn't add up correctly.

Can he come back and be dominant and shut us all up?  I hope so.  I hope you're right.  I hope I feel foolish for doubting him.  I do give him the benefit of the doubt, but I still have doubts.  We will see.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

While I think he's unlikely to play - I can't image the Jets don't expect him to play...

They have done nothing to address the RT position.  If they thought he was a goner for sure  - I would like to think JD would have made a serious effort to upgrade the RT spot..

I wonder if they have some type of deal in place with Reiff pending the physicals this week for both Becton and Fant?

I completely disagree with this assesment.

Had he been cemented at the Jets facility rehabbing, becoming more invested in the team by being present, not missed three times the estimated time of recovery, showed his face at the facility after the birth of his child ...

.... I might feel different ...

He has a lot to prove.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I wonder if they have some type of deal in place with Reiff pending the physicals this week for both Becton and Fant?

It's certainly possible, but do they trust Reiff to be a starter?  As a back up, swing tackle I like him - as the incumbent starter, at his age - would worry me.

This will play out over the next month though.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

When his rehab will be complete should be the question we're asking.

We'll know more about that after the Jets trainers get their hands on him.

I believe Jets have been relying on Bectons people for reports of his rehab progress and weight. It will be interesting to see what the Jets trainers say on Tuesday.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If the Jets had made some sort of move at OT besides draft one in the fourth round, there might be some reality to this take. But they did the opposite, basically nothing so far. They appear to be counting on him to start, not expecting him not to be here. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, it will.  Either he'll be good, or he won't.  What's so hard to understand about that?   You scare me.
That much is true ... but that will not unravel the mystery to his epic recovery time or seemingly nonchalant attitude towards becoming entrenched on the team.

4 minutes ago, Alka said:

I appreciate your bringing up this article, but there are reasons for concern.

Mecki has had opportunities to show up for non-mandatory practices, and he chose to forego those opportunities.  He has not seen a football field in 9 months, and the Jets have made it clear that they wanted the guy to show up at Florham Park, though not mandatory.  Mecki even said himself last year in 2021 that he would not miss the non mandatory practices in future years, but he has done exactly that.

To me, when you start putting the pieces of the puzzle together, it just doesn't add up correctly.

Can he come back and be dominant and shut us all up?  I hope so.  I hope you're right.  I hope I feel foolish for doubting him.  I do give him the benefit of the doubt, but I still have doubts.  We will see.

This is a point of view I understand and respect.  We don't know the true reasons behind his actions/inactions, we're again just speculating.  In truth, there isn't concrete evidence either way.  Maybe he doesn't come back and I've got egg on my face and I'm really disappointed.  So be it.  I'm a Jets fan - been there done that - fingers crossed (yet again).

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I think we've been handed a pile of bullshhhht by the team w/respect to Becton.

I am starting to severely mistrust the honesty in the NY Jets team reports.

• Upvote 3