If this was Becton, this forum would be on fire

Medical report

LT George Fant and WR Braxton Berrios did not participate in team drills. Coach Robert Saleh was vague about what is bothering them. Fant had offseason knee surgery and did not practice in the spring, so the team may be easing him back in. Berrios was wearing a sleeve on his left leg. Both players participated in the other portions of practice but sat out team drills.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

History matters. If I have an employee who calls out sick every week for 30 weeks in a row, its a much bigger deal than an employee who is calling out for the first time in their life.

Are you implying Fant has never missed a game, because I think you have sone research to do if you are. 

4 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Could Fant be holding out for a new contract? Grossly underpaid now that he’s officially the starting LT. 

His current salary is good for the 20th highest paid LT in the league. He may not love that, but it’s certainly fair. Hold outs are expensive in this CBA, that’s why you don’t see them. If he wants to get paid, his best course of action will be to get on the field and prove that last year’s good season wasn’t a fluke. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Fant got hurt at the very end of the year and the team was aware of what he needed done right away.

He showed up to mandatory minicamp and everything that has happened so far is because the team want’s to ease him in.  Becton showed up to camp out of shape, which the team did not want, and the team needed to do the same with him for training camp because of his own inability to be in shape.

There’s is a big difference between the two situations.

As far as I know, Becton never showed up out of shape. Is his conditioning not where it needs to be? Yes but how is that not expected?

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

History matters. If I have an employee who calls out sick every week for 30 weeks in a row, its a much bigger deal than an employee who is calling out for the first time in their life.

Not to pick on you but your post highlights the ridiculous narrative surrounding Becton. 

You're re conparing Becton and Fants availability but Fant missed the entire 2015 season and since joining the Jets has missed 2 games in 2020 and 1 game in 2021. Yet no one talks about Fant. 

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Medical report

LT George Fant and WR Braxton Berrios did not participate in team drills. Coach Robert Saleh was vague about what is bothering them. Fant had offseason knee surgery and did not practice in the spring, so the team may be easing him back in. Berrios was wearing a sleeve on his left leg. Both players participated in the other portions of practice but sat out team drills.

Context matters. Those two played last year, and neither is being held out due to a lack of conditioning. Kind of like how there's a difference between shooting someone to rob them, as opposed to shooting someone to prevent a crime. You'll notice they both "participated in the other portions of practice, but sat out team drills". 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Fant got hurt at the very end of the year and the team was aware of what he needed done right away.

He showed up to mandatory minicamp and everything that has happened so far is because the team want’s to ease him in.  Becton showed up to mandatory minicamp out of shape, which the team did not want, and the team now needs to do the same with him for training camp because of his own inability to be in shape.

There’s is a big difference between the two situations.

THIS! 

These two situations aren't even remotely comparable. 

Fant at least has pelts on the wall...like 6 or 7 years in the league.  We still don't know how Becton is going to pan out...especially since he's a high draft pick.  I would love to have Becton on the Jets for at least a decade but I'm not betting he will.

18 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Could Fant be holding out for a new contract? Grossly underpaid now that he’s officially the starting LT. 

He's paid just fine, let him prove he deserves it by playing well for more than just one year as a starter on a contract which he signed. You don't give a guy with one good year, and had off season surgery a big contract on the hope that he'll still be healthy, and effective. It should get done during the season after he continues to play well. Otherwise there are always linemen in the draft. 

10 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Context matters. Those two played last year, and neither is being held out due to a lack of conditioning. Kind of like how there's a difference between shooting someone to rob them, as opposed to shooting someone to prevent a crime. You'll notice they both "participated in the other portions of practice, but sat out team drills". 

Is Becton being held out of anything aside from when he was on pup? 

9 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Not to pick on you but your post highlights the ridiculous narrative surrounding Becton. 

You're re conparing Becton and Fants availability but Fant missed the entire 2015 season and since joining the Jets has missed 2 games in 2020 and 1 game in 2021. Yet no one talks about Fant. 

As a Jet (key fact here and your numbers) he's missed three games in two seasons. Not amazing, but not season defining either like losing your LT for the entire season. Having said that, many of us would have been fine if the Jets had drafted a T at 4 in April. The narrative that MB is injury prone and may eat himself out of the league isn't that ridiculous as much as we'd like it to be. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

As far as I know, Becton never showed up out of shape. Is his conditioning not where it needs to be? Yes but how is that not expected?

When he showed up to mandatory minicamp, he was most definitely out of shape and heavier than when he reported the other day.

His conditioning levels are “expected” yes, but only because the team already knew that he was out of shape, needed to shed weight again,  and, therefore, could not practice during minicamp.

10 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Fant at least has pelts on the wall...like 6 or 7 years in the league.  We still don't know how Becton is going to pan out...especially since he's a high draft pick.  I would love to have Becton on the Jets for at least a decade but I'm not betting he will.

Pelts on the wall? The guy was a career backup until he showed up here and he only started here because our OL should have been a crew on a moving truck. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is the kind of early camp over-reaction thread/"issue" we should all likely just ignore IMO.

It's literally day three of camp.  I get we're all fanatics, but jeez, we really should lighten up.

If Becton was out and Saleh was not forthcoming about it, you think nobody would be posting about it?

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Pelts on the wall? The guy was a career backup until he showed up here and he only started here because our OL should have been a crew on a moving truck. 

Pelts on the wall meaning he's still in the league...he's our starting LT...anyone taking bets that Becton will be in the league 7 years from now is an idiot.  We hope he is, but the jury is still out until this kid proves himself.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

As a Jet (key fact here and your numbers) he's missed three games in two seasons. Not amazing, but not season defining either like losing your LT for the entire season. Having said that, many of us would have been fine if the Jets had drafted a T at 4 in April. The narrative that MB is injury prone and may eat himself out of the league isn't that ridiculous as much as we'd like it to be. 

My point is Fant has also missed an entire year in addition to those 3 games in 2 seasons with just the Jets. But there's no worries about Fant. 

The MB injury prone narrative is so drummed up. Because if we applied the same logic to Fant we'd all be worried when his knee is gonna explode next or what other minor injury will keep him out of a game or 2 per season. 

6 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yes, he is injury prone. It's  his fault a DL rag dolled GVR into his legs

• Upvote 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

If Becton was out and Saleh was not forthcoming about it, you think nobody would be posting about it?

I don't care.  I'm already entirely sick of the endless Becton talk and obsession.  

Did Becton sh*t this morning?  What color was it?  Does it indicate a healthy guy, or a lazy fat man's gut?  Was it firm?  Wet?  Does he wipe right handed?  Left handed?  Both at once like a wierdo?  What time did he sh*t?  Early?  Late?  

I mean FFS, just stop.  Not aimed at you persoanlly Cowbell, more in general.  SMH.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

When he showed up to mandatory minicamp, he was most definitely out of shape and heavier than when he reported the other day.

His conditioning levels are “expected” yes, but only because the team already knew that he was out of shape, needed to shed weight again,  and, therefore, could not practice during minicamp.

I think your definition  of out of shape is a bit loose. I saw the same pictures of Becton as you did and he looked like 90% of all OL in this league. 

• Upvote 1

I feel like if you want to defend Becton, tearing down Fant isn’t the way to go. Fant was probably the best player and value on the roster last season, and he’s an athletic guy who works hard and competes. Defend Becton based on what Becton does, if that’s even possible

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Pelts on the wall meaning he's still in the league...he's our starting LT...anyone taking bets that Becton will be in the league 7 years from now is an idiot.  We hope he is, but the jury is still out until this kid proves himself.

Those pelts don't  carry weight.  He was a backup

He won't  be in the league based on what? Last seasons injury was bad luck. Yeah he missed games as a rookie. So did Carter and Moore. Are they also going to be out of the league 7 years from now? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Is Becton being held out of anything aside from when he was on pup? 

No, but he's had to take a knee and pull himself from the field more than once due to a lack of conditioning. Obviously his safety comes first, but that he needs to pull himself as a professional athlete on the first day speaks volumes when practice, particularly early in camp has been watered down (he didn't walk into "two a days" and need to take a knee multiple times while running hills in scorching heat during the PM after a long AM session). Walk into your job unprepared, particularly if you work at a high level, and tell me how that goes. It generally isn't a good thing even if the boss doesn't openly tear you a new one for not being ready to get your job done. It also speaks to who you are as a professional, and your commitment to get better past cliche answers at an interview. Having said all that I hope he succeeds as he's a Jet.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think your definition  of out of shape is a bit loose. I saw the same pictures of Becton as you did and he looked like 90% of all OL in this league. 

Agree to disagree there.  I think it’s easy to say that if he was the weight that they expected and wanted him to be, he would have practiced.  I also don’t think that they would have had him shed so much weight in 40 days like they did too.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't care.  I'm already entirely sick of the endless Becton talk and obsession.  

Did Becton sh*t this morning?  What color was it?  Does it indicate a healthy guy, or a lazy fat man's gut?  Was it firm?  Wet?  Does he wipe right handed?  Left handed?  Both at once like a wierdo?  What time did he sh*t?  Early?  Late?  

I mean FFS, just stop.  Not aimed at you persoanlly Cowbell, more in general.  SMH.

No offense  taken.  This thread was more or less to point out the hypocrisy here. Both players had knee injuries. Both players have consistently  missed games throughout  their careers, but people only lose it over one. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like if you want to defend Becton, tearing down Fant isn’t the way to go. Fant was probably the best player and value on the roster last season, and he’s an athletic guy who works hard and competes. Defend Becton based on what Becton does, if that’s even possible

This isn't to defend Becton or tear down Fant. I think Fant will be fine to start the season. It's  just nobody is saying anything about Fant except how he deserved to be named LT while he still is being held out of drills. 

8 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

My point is Fant has also missed an entire year in addition to those 3 games in 2 seasons with just the Jets. But there's no worries about Fant. 

The MB injury prone narrative is so drummed up. Because if we applied the same logic to Fant we'd all be worried when his knee is gonna explode next or what other minor injury will keep him out of a game or 2 per season. 

The difference is also related to body type. Remember Kris Jenkins, a man among children on the field, but due to his shear size and weight his injury issues were constant as it also made rehabbing harder. A person with MB's enormous size frame, while seen as a strength, ironically has to be very careful about their weight. If MB doesn't have the discipline to keep the weight down and stay in shape year round (nothing crazy just not "out of shape") he may not last very long.