funny how older you get more catatonic you get as Jet fan

SouthernJet

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yup...I am serious.

Unless we need to have a VERY long discussion about freewill vs. determinism.  Could blow the dust off some old philosophy books and really get at Plato and Aristotle.

LOL. You are being funny,,no one would come uo with that,,calm down Francis LOL

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

LOL. You are being funny,,no one would come uo with that,,calm down Francis LOL

Very calm.

And dead serious.  Personally, it helped save my sanity the past two years.  I think I watched a total of 6 games since Douglas took over.  I knew this was going to be a train wreck while Douglas got a chance.  Now, I have full intention of watching every game this year because I believe the Jets are, at the very least, going to put a competitive product on the field.  I still believe they are strong enough to win 8 games.  

QB situation aside, I am comfortable in sayin this team is a LT and C away from competing for a regular playoff spot.  Could I be wrong?  Sure.  But Douglas has done a great job in bringing in talent the past two seasons.  Had many of those big swings worked out in the 2020 draft, we REALLY would be sitting pretty.

BUT....Anywho.  I was coming at this from an honest perspective.  I wouldn't suggest such a drastic measure had I not have undertaken it myself.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

Really. I am point now where I watch semi emotionless expecting bad crap.

After gret play I am not happy yet cause I am looking for flag.

On other teamd O going on 3rd and long I am not excited I am waiting either opponent QB to throw a long pass 1 yard ahead of stick or he scramble for 1st down.

Opposite that on our 3rd and long I calmly wait for eeither 1 yard shor of stick, turnover or a sack.

and all of this I do never showing emotion because I SWEAR TO GOD i now expect bad things.When good things happen I say Holy crap and shake my head in disbeleif.

Ahh, to be a Jets fan

It’s a function of the last 11 years, not age

Please tell me it’s not age,

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

On other teamd O going on 3rd and long I am not excited I am waiting either opponent QB to throw a long pass 1 yard ahead of stick or he scramble for 1st down.

Opposite that on our 3rd and long I calmly wait for eeither 1 yard shor of stick, turnover or a sack.

and all of this I do never showing emotion because I SWEAR TO GOD i now expect bad things.When good things happen I say Holy crap and shake my head in disbeleif.

Ahh, to be a Jets fan

My dad was a positive Jets fan for like 67 years. He wore the Darnold jersey I got him to the bitter end.

After we sent Darnold packing, he said something I’d never expect him to say: “I appreciate the gesture but please don’t buy me any more jerseys.”

Star Wars GIF

Winning defintiely beats losing.  As I have gotten older, though, I have learned to take different things from football.  More than any other sport, its a social event to watch a game.  I have made great friends where the friendships are built around football.  Hang out with some of the same guys every fall.  Looking forward to catching up with some of them over the next couple of weeks.  This week, if I had not tested positive for covid, I would be with a bunch of guys from this site I would not have met otherwise.

I usually take a father-son trip with my son to see the Jets -- that won't happen this since his wife is pregnant, due in November, and he is not about to leave her home with their two year old to spend a football weekend with me, but those weekends are special.  A couple of times, after we have gotten tired of loisng, we have gone to see the Dawgs instead.

I miss football.  Look forward to it every year.  At some point, I learned how to enjoy the ride, win or lose.  But winning is better.  Much better.  Either way, I will enjoy watching the Jets this season.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

Ahh, to be a Jets fan

I can relate to this, I’ve personally been following this outfit since 1982. 

Like you I’m just waiting for something to go wrong. Six wins at best, the lines a mess already, I think Saleh is a used car salesman, and Wilson is just another Darnold. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Lith said:

Winning defintiely beats losing.  As I have gotten older, though, I have learned to take different things from football.  More than any other sport, its a social event to watch a game.  I have made great friends where the friendships are built around football.  Hang out with some of the same guys every fall.  Looking forward to catching up with some of them over the next couple of weeks.  This week, if I had not tested positive for covid, I would be with a bunch of guys from this site I would not have met otherwise.

I usually take a father-son trip with my son to see the Jets -- that won't happen this since his wife is pregnant, due in November, and he is not about to leave her home with their two year old to spend a football weekend with me, but those weekends are special.  A couple of times, after we have gotten tired of loisng, we have gone to see the Dawgs instead.

I miss football.  Look forward to it every year.  At some point, I learned how to enjoy the ride, win or lose.  But winning is better.  Much better.  Either way, I will enjoy watching the Jets this season.

Good summary. I actually pity the "any season you don't win a ring is a failure" folks.

Enjoy the journey and hope for an entertaining season.

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

Good summary. I actually pity the "any season you don't win a ring is a failure" folks.

Enjoy the journey and hope for an entertaining season.

Yup.  Its sports.  Its supposed to be a fun diversion from the stuff that really counts.  When it get to the point that it brings more aggravation than the serious stuff, then whats the point.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Its sports.  Its supposed to be a fun diversion from the stuff that really counts.  When it get to the point that it brings more aggravation than the serious stuff, then whats the point.

Even when the Jets stink, I wouldn't give up the memories of hanging with my dad and (when I lived in the US) the salty crew at the Raleigh Jets Fan Club.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

Ahh, to be a Jets fan

Abuse victims eventually become numb to the pain. 

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I can relate to this, I’ve personally been following this outfit since 1982. 

Like you I’m just waiting for something to go wrong. Six wins at best, the lines a mess already, I think Saleh is a used car salesman, and Wilson is just another Darnold. 

Roughly the same time line. Major change is with kids , grandkids, work, etc., more dettached and bemused . If it turns around, great. But no longer allow the awfulness to ruin things. You simply can't. 

t

• Upvote 1