Kind of amazing how quickly this place turned on Saleh (merged)

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

True but while those teams records were horrible, that roster really wasnt that bad.  They had good players, many that Parcells inherited and they were relying on a veteran QB, I know O'Donnell wasnt special but he did QB a team to the Super Bowl, and Parcells loved veteran QB's.  So I dont think it was apples to apples but otherwise, I agree completely with this post.

Hmmm, sounds familiar.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

the handling of Gore drove me NUTS!. i swear they had something in his contract that he was the #2 RB and if Bell went down he would be #1 so he could break that Yardage milestone.

then Gore gets hurt and TY has that 100 yd game and they go back to Gore. thats insane

i am used to the overreacting Mondays around here but i just thought it would be different this week. i thought they could see the talent like i do. Sause looks like the real deal. JJ got 1/2 a sack in his 1st game. GW looks special. that play were Flacco was in trouble and threw it to the sidelines and GW ran back to get it and turn it into a nice gain was incredible. that kid got some moves. MC1 starting where he finished last year.  

the talent is there. Saleh just has to put it together. its up to the coaches to clean up the mistakes.

Anyone on this board would have signed up for 220 total yards (55 coming on 1 pass) and 3 TD's from Lamar Jackson on Saturday.  You're gunna have to score more than 21 points to win in the NFL, especially vs. an MVP caliber QB.  Flacco is just terrible.  Throw in the turnovers, costly Conklin fumble and ST gaff's and boom, that's how you lose in the NFL.  Like I said earlier, outside of the Hall fumble, the encouraging part is most of the mistakes were veterans who you have to be confident can see on it on tape and turn it around more quickly then the youngsters. I'm not concerned about Hall being a fumbler and otherwise, the rookies and 2nd year players played well. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

By the end of this season JD will have been the GM of the Jets for more games than Macc.

And he currently has a far worse record with a team that has no superstars.

What exactly is JD doing that is so special.

Sause looked good. MC1 his good. the defense looks improved. GW looks special. the team has good enough talent to win games this year. its up to the coach to get them to play well.

we got 4 rookies , well now 5 rookies with Max at RT who are either starting or playing important roles for this team. as i said above some already have showed us they could be the real deal. add 2nd year players like MC1, MC2 and Moore thats 8 1st and 2nd year players in impact roles. 9 when Zach gets back. its a young team with alot of talent. 

by the end of the year these guys will show us there good. then thats not a JD problem. if we dont win its a coaching problem. it will be Salehs fault. 

we cant just be blind and use wins and loses when deciding on the GM when there play shows us something. its coaching at that point.

its like the argument for benching Flacco. we lost cause of 3 fumbles, which 1 on the 21 yd line gave us 3 points and one at the 16 that we got nothing. a dropped TD pass. missed FG and extra point. does those mistakes not happen with Mike White? of course not. but this board wants a scalp and Flacco is the easiest to ask for. 

White is not mobile like Zach. he is slightly more mobile than Flacco. does that mobility stop people from fumbling? dropping passes? missing kicks? no. so why replace him? that lack of mobility did not cost us the game.

we need to identify the right reason for why we lost now and at the end of the season and not just fire or bench people cause they didn't win a game. because of their record. 

On 9/12/2022 at 11:16 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

What exactly was the attack plan for flacco? It's was a flop. 

I agree. There is no way he should have been throwing the ball 59 times. Lefleur gave up on the run game with the team down 10-3. Even at 17-3 he should still have been running the ball One TD flips the whole game, but he relied on a immobile QB to get back in the game which never happened. Saleh is not responsible for that but he has to know what his OC is calling and rein him in.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

It shocks me that people dont realize just how toxic Adam Gase was and just how far to the bottom of the deepest cesspool he dragged this franchise.  Could you imagine, being so terrible at your job, that the dude who essentially handed you a GM position, couldnt wait to get rid of you? Adam Gase will never sniff the NFL again, and dude was the Jets Head Coach.  I just dont know what world these people live in that think this was going to be a quick fix.  Frank Gore ran the ball 38 times in 2 weeks in a lost season where they were supposed to be developing a QB before he broke a record and then!, Adam Gase then gave him week 17 off on the way to second lowest win total in franchise history.  Like, do people not understand how ****ed this team was and that 1 year is not enough to remove the stench?  They had to hit reset, to blame Saleh for the years of ineptitude while he was coaching for other teams, is just bizarre to me.  Very bizarre. 

The overreaction part is to be expected, happens every week and always amplified after week 1 and Jets fans are the worst in the NFL. 

The getting fired for picking Wilson piece is interesting.  I think it's probably a bigger debate but I think it's silly that GM's lose their jobs over picking a QB which is by far, the hardest thing to do in professional sports.  Generational Trevor Lawrence, looks like generational trash!  If Adam Gase didnt beat the Rams, is JD on the hot seat because Generational Lawrence sucks?  That's stupid.  Look, I hated the Wilson pick and wanted FIelds, everyone knows that but I'd rather take swings at the future of the franchise rather than say, go the Chris Ballard route who's too scared to draft a QB because he's afraid to lose his job so is stuck in mediocrity, which I know sounds nice but I was around these boards for the years of mediocrity and I'm not sure which crowd was angrier.  JD has done a fantastic job of acquiring talent, giving him the death shot because of Wilson would be silly, IMO.  I really think you need to look at the entire body of work and not just the choice of QB.  

Still blaming Adam Gase for the ravens loss are we? Cmon now 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, doitny said:

White is not mobile like Zach. he is slightly more mobile than Flacco. does that mobility stop people from fumbling? dropping passes? missing kicks? no. so why replace him? that lack of mobility did not cost us the game.

Disagree.  His lack of mobility contributed heavily to the offense sputtering.  With a defective OL, there must be a QB whose feet are not in cement. A more mobile QB would have had more success evading the internal pressure (thank you Mr Tomlinson) and making a play.  Instead of multiple three-and-outs they would have had a much better chance to move the chains.

23 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It's a good question.  My guess - is it was a JD decision.  For the reasons that have been mentioned - just not Zach's call.  I've seen nothing from Zach to think he would make a decision like that.  If anything he's shown the opposite.

Moreover, all of the comments coming out of the Jets are it's their call.   Zach said he would play if it was up to him.  @football guy said it's an organizational decision.  Saleh said the same.

So sure, the organization can be lying, Zach can be lying, our one inside source here can be lying...I concede that point.

But based on the little history we have of Zach, the lack of leverage he has to make such a decision, what's coming from the organization - it would be the definition of a Conspiracy.  

It was a collaborative decision with several parties involved. The medical team's (both ours and the LA surgeon) suggested that he should be 100% 4-6 weeks post-op (including the bone bruise). The front office and coaching staff absolutely factored in that the OL need a few games to gel before the starters and backups have the chemistry they are looking for, and they wanted him to get in at least 1 week of limited practices and full week of practice and preparation.

Zach's team bought in and figured he would miss 1-2 games, but legitimately figured he would be back for the second home game against Cincinnati. The front office/Saleh and ownership ultimately decided when you factor all the variables, it would be best to hold him out for at least the first 3 games. He'll likely get some limited practices in next week, then will practice in full Pittsburgh week (September 28 would be exactly 6 weeks post-op). 

I always expected him to miss week 1, but felt he would be back by week 3 - not just because that's what his team thought would be the case but just looking at all the variables and coming to my own conclusions. I think the Jets are being way too cautious with the whole "week 4 or later" plan. What's most frustrating to me is the babying. I get that you want him healthy and not worrying about the knee when he gets back in, but he wouldn't be the first QB who had to play slightly differently while recovering from an injury. It's very rare for a player to be "100%" healthy and if he were a proven asset as opposed to a prospect he would've been playing week 1. I hate the overcomplication/overcompensation and feel the Jets should just sternly coach him, have him wear a brace, make it clear that he needs to avoid risk which means limited full strength runs/"bracing" for impact, getting down/sliding, throwing the ball away, etc. Whether he's a good QB or not he has to learn how to play through injury no matter what; if he does end up our franchise guy it's going to happen regardless. There's no guarantee he comes in and has a freak injury whether he's healthy or not, but they can absolutely take precautions to avoid reinjuring it; he's capable of running, rolling out of the pocket, taking a hit, but he has to take a page out of the Tom Brady playbook and not "fight" hits or "brace" for impact... if you run, avoid full speed and get down/out of bounds; throw the ball away if you're uncertain of the pass rush/there isn't a play there. It's not too much to ask for and while it may result in him "overthinking", I'd rather him gain that experience and work through it than sit in bubble wrap. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, doitny said:

Sause looked good. MC1 his good. the defense looks improved. GW looks special. the team has good enough talent to win games this year. its up to the coach to get them to play well.

we got 4 rookies , well now 5 rookies with Max at RT who are either starting or playing important roles for this team. as i said above some already have showed us they could be the real deal. add 2nd year players like MC1, MC2 and Moore thats 8 1st and 2nd year players in impact roles. 9 when Zach gets back. its a young team with alot of talent. 

by the end of the year these guys will show us there good. then thats not a JD problem. if we dont win its a coaching problem. it will be Salehs fault. 

we cant just be blind and use wins and loses when deciding on the GM when there play shows us something. its coaching at that point.

its like the argument for benching Flacco. we lost cause of 3 fumbles, which 1 on the 21 yd line gave us 3 points and one at the 16 that we got nothing. a dropped TD pass. missed FG and extra point. does those mistakes not happen with Mike White? of course not. but this board wants a scalp and Flacco is the easiest to ask for. 

we need to identify the right reason for why we lost now and at the end of the season and not just fire or bench people cause they didn't win a game. because of their record. 

Ah, so it's all on coaching then? The guy Douglas hand picked? That's just another indictment on him.

You are vastly over stating how good this roster is.

It took until this year for people to admit the 2020 draft was bad. The 2021 draft looks better but it isnt looking like this home run of a draft that people are portraying.

Wilson looks like a bust. AVT looks like a solid guard, but that is a lot of assets to use on a guard. Moore looks like a solid WR2, he isnt a #1 and looks more like a slot receiver. Carter looks like a solid rotational back.

And that's pretty much the entire draft. All those picks we had in the later rounds all look like bottom of the roster fodder that will be gone in a year or 2.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

It was a collaborative decision with several parties involved. The medical team's (both ours and the LA surgeon) suggested that he should be 100% 4-6 weeks post-op (including the bone bruise). The front office and coaching staff absolutely factored in that the OL need a few games to gel before the starters and backups have the chemistry they are looking for, and they wanted him to get in at least 1 week of limited practices and full week of practice and preparation.

Zach's team bought in and figured he would miss 1-2 games, but legitimately figured he would be back for the second home game against Cincinnati. The front office/Saleh and ownership ultimately decided when you factor all the variables, it would be best to hold him out for at least the first 3 games. He'll likely get some limited practices in next week, then will practice in full Pittsburgh week (September 28 would be exactly 6 weeks post-op). 

I always expected him to miss week 1, but felt he would be back by week 3 - not just because that's what his team thought would be the case but just looking at all the variables and coming to my own conclusions. I think the Jets are being way too cautious with the whole "week 4 or later" plan. What's most frustrating to me is the babying. I get that you want him healthy and not worrying about the knee when he gets back in, but he wouldn't be the first QB who had to play slightly differently while recovering from an injury. It's very rare for a player to be "100%" healthy and if he were a proven asset as opposed to a prospect he would've been playing week 1. I hate the overcomplication/overcompensation and feel the Jets should just sternly coach him, have him wear a brace, make it clear that he needs to avoid risk which means limited full strength runs/"bracing" for impact, getting down/sliding, throwing the ball away, etc. Whether he's a good QB or not he has to learn how to play through injury no matter what; if he does end up our franchise guy it's going to happen regardless. There's no guarantee he comes in and has a freak injury whether he's healthy or not, but they can absolutely take precautions to avoid reinjuring it; he's capable of running, rolling out of the pocket, taking a hit, but he has to take a page out of the Tom Brady playbook and not "fight" hits or "brace" for impact... if you run, avoid full speed and get down/out of bounds; throw the ball away if you're uncertain of the pass rush/there isn't a play there. It's not too much to ask for and while it may result in him "overthinking", I'd rather him gain that experience and work through it than sit in bubble wrap. 

where Colin was right

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

The Jets haven't made the playoffs in 12 years, I don't care if he's not 100% he should play. For a team who's in that situation every game is now a playoff game. This CS and FO are proving to be a disaster every day that goes by.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Thanks again for note - really appreciate the insight.

The key question I want to get clarity on is, from what I'm reading from you.  Zach wants to play, but the team and his doctors don't - so he's not fighting it.

As opposed to Zach being the one that dictating he doesn't want to play even though the team wants him out there.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The key question I want to get clarity on is, from what I'm reading from you.  Zach wants to play, but the team and his doctors don't - so he's not fighting it.

As opposed to Zach being the one that dictating he doesn't want to play even though the team wants him out there.

From that passage this sounds just as political as it is strictly injury related. In other words, typical Jets.

Saleh just doesn’t get it

The players don’t need “defending” in the media during the week

They need you to help them win football games

So far he’s sucked at that 

By his own admission, there’s more talent on this team than when it was “sub-expansion level”

He should be winning more games

There’s no excuse for going 0-6 in the division last year 

Maybe I’m still a bit too drawn in by Saleh’s “passion,”..but I’m still good with him.

The Browns would change my view if they take us down “easily” on Sunday.

I’d like to see him go to White in the second half if Flacco struggles again. Nothing he can do with the O-Line. They (a couple in particular) need to obviously step up on Sunday. We have no shot if the performance is similar.

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Fwiw, I think they did a really good job of creating that mix this year.  Sure, it didnt look like it in the first week but when you think about each unit on the team, there is a strong veteran presence on literally every unit.  Which for me, that was the most disappointing part of week 1.  It was the veterans who let this team down, the rookies and 2nd year players (outside of the Hall fumble) played well IMO.  

What I'm hoping is that this was a tough week of film.  You have to hope now that there are some live snaps on tape and their HC is facing criticism coming from all over, that one of the vets in those rooms are stepping up.  I can say, when Joyner blew that coverage, I've never seen Saleh so pissed on the sidelines. 

Good points.

You also have to factor in that the Ravens are a very good, well-coached team that isn’t in year 2 of a new coach and playing a backup QB. They have a former MVP.

Plus, because nobody plays in preseason, most of the first month of football is awful. Both SB teams got beat. Pats looked like a high school team. It was all over the place. It’s realistic to think we are much better than what we saw, albeit not a popular opinion.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Zach is too early in his career to make his feelings felt. He wants to play but he's a team first guy. His PR team felt he would be back against Cincinnati based on what his agent and Jets communications personnel were saying and planned accordingly until the Jets decided otherwise  

• Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, football guy said:

Interesting and if true, kind of lets you know what many of us have been saying.  This season wasnt about record, it was about developing/figuring out what they have in Zach Wilson.  

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So Flacco is "efficient" under perfect conditions.  

Yeah, not a fan of that comment.  Two reasons.

1) I think every QB at the NFL level would be good with a clean pocket

2) Because of 1 - Saleh is really starting to sounds like a used car salesman (really booming worrisome)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, not a fan of that comment.  Two reasons.

1) I think every QB at the NFL level would be good with a clean pocket

2) Because of 1 - Saleh is really starting to sounds like a used car salesman (really booming worrisome)

Plus the league isn't really about those type of QBs so much anymore (Tom Brady being an obvious exception).  Nowadays most QBs have to run around and make the "off schedule" plays (as they like to call them).  Flacco is more of a throwback type guy who stands in the pocket.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Interesting and if true, kind of lets you know what many of us have been saying.  This season wasnt about record, it was about developing/figuring out what they have in Zach Wilson.  

Correct. It is about winning but more importantly they want to make sure they develop Zach Wilson the right way. They think their window truly opens next year, but it wouldn't shock anyone with the Jets if they competed for a spot this year. 

Delusional? Maybe. But they do really believe they have a good football team this year. 

Still behind our coach.  Really likable guy, so I pull for him.  Results/wins matter the most, obviously, and I’ll be all for a change if we go something like 3-14. 

He made a PR mistake in his last presser but if it had any effect on his team, it would only be positive.  When thrown a softball question about a potential + impact, Saleh dismissed that notion out of hand.  Good response.

He’s a real genuine, passionate guy, standing out in stark contrast to our last head-coach.  But, I get it. Wins matter and I’d rather have an A-hole as a coach  if it results in lifting the Jets out of the never-ending abyss they occupy.  
We can all think of one (last in line when “charisma” was handed out) who needs 2 hands to wear all the rings he’s won. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

Correct. It is about winning but more importantly they want to make sure they develop Zach Wilson the right way. They think their window truly opens next year, but it wouldn't shock anyone with the Jets if they competed for a spot this year. 

Delusional? Maybe. But they do really believe they have a good football team this year. 

I don't even think it's crazy to say that.  There's a real reason to hope that the defense will be much improved over last year (admittedly, not a high bar to clear).  I'm not getting carried away with the week 1 defense from the 1st half though.  Baltimore easily could've put 30+ points on the board against us and they're only a middle-of-the-pack type offense.  But I am getting my hopes up that Sauce will be a star.

On offense, it pretty much all depends on ZW.  But I do like Garrett Wilson and Eli Moore, plus hopefully Breece Hall lives up to billing.  Those are some legitimate weapinzz.  And I have to believe our OL will improve at some point (even if it takes until week 5 when DB comes back).  

2 minutes ago, Greg555 said:

Still behind our coach.  Really likable guy, so I pull for him.  Results/wins matter the most, obviously, and I’ll be all for a change if we go something like 3-14. 

He made a PR mistake in his last presser but if it had any effect on his team, it would only be positive.  When thrown a softball question about a potential + impact, Saleh dismissed that notion out of hand.  Good response.

He’s a real genuine, passionate guy, standing out in stark contrast to our last head-coach.  But, I get it. Wins matter and I’d rather have an A-hole as a coach  if it results in lifting the Jets out of the never-ending abyss they occupy.  
We can all think of one who needs 2 hands to wear all the rings he’s won. 

I don't think there was a more likable guy than Todd Bowles but we just didn't win with him.  Though looking back, I blame Macc a lot more than Bowles for that.  

Injuries have bedeviled this team for years now and we may be the only team who’s starting QB will be out for the 1st month of play due to a preseason injury.

Losing Brown for what is sounding like a good length of time hurts also, but how do the Jets stack up on the injury front after week 1? Lotta guys nicked up, but that doesn’t seem unusual.