For context, Zach is the 2nd youngest QB in the league

Rhg1084

9 minutes ago, derp said:

Trevor Lawrence is younger than Zach Wilson. Looks like the list is just sorted by integer age and some other factor is determining how the 23 year olds are lined up.

You’re right, Trevor was born in October and Zach August so yes he’s younger. Wonder why that was screwed up

The problem with this argument is when you start considering which young QBs started clueless and learned as they went.  I guess it is the Alex Smith argument.  He seemed to figure things out, but that was only after a change in staff, a year off and since even after his good years he was benched for Kaepernick, and traded away, he does not seem to be the poster boy for waiting for a QB to mature.  Did Jameis ever mature into this top flight NFL QB?  He was younger than Wilson.  I guess you can argue more parallels with Smith in that they weren't from really big schools, but I don't see this as a reason to wait on the kid.  He is either good or he isn't, but we can't be sure.  At that point, like Becton, you have to prepare as if he isn't and hope that he is.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

The problem with this argument is when you start considering which young QBs started clueless and learned as they went.  I guess it is the Alex Smith argument.  He seemed to figure things out, but that was only after a change in staff, a year off and since even after his good years he was benched for Kaepernick, and traded away, he does not seem to be the poster boy for waiting for a QB to mature.  Did Jameis ever mature into this top flight NFL QB?  He was younger than Wilson.  I guess you can argue more parallels with Smith in that they weren't from really big schools, but I don't see this as a reason to wait on the kid.  He is either good or he isn't, but we can't be sure.  At that point, like Becton, you have to prepare as if he isn't and hope that he is.

Good news is Zach seems pretty steady in his improvements.

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think people forget how young this kid is. He’s coming into his own. He will learn to play the position as he grows.

B55E4694-0DB6-480D-B16E-3035DE979C35.png

Just watched Georgia - Tennessee this weekend.  Both starting QBs, Hendon Hooker (24) and Stetson Bennett (25) are older than Zach.

Go Dawgs!!!

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Just watched Georgia - Tennessee this weekend.  Both starting QBs, Hendon Hooker (24) and Stetson Bennett (25) are older than Zach.

Go Dawgs!!!

I didn’t realize Bennett was 25. That’s ridiculous… a 25 year old should not be playing college football 

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

I did post in the PVO thread that Zach's youth was a positive... of course not sure how big of a positive it actually is...

I do know breakout age is a factor in evaluating draft prospects... but once in the league I personally don't think age should modify expectations in a significant way. 

I tend to believe that actual NFL production, trends in NFL production, and rate of improvement are more important than "hope" that youth means future production and improvements are likely.

I did always find it funny that age was one the biggest positive for Sam Darnold mentioned by "truthers"...

8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I didn’t realize Bennett was 25. That’s ridiculous… a 25 year old should not be playing college football 

When I first turned that game on, they showed Bennett with his helmet on and I thought to myself that he looked older than me and I'm 49. ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yup.  Redshirt in 2017, Transferred to JuCo in 2018, back to Georgia with 3 years of eligibility left in 19, then NCAA granted an extra year of eligibility due to Covid, so he had the opportunity to play this season.  Just turned 25 last month.  Not likely to see it again anytime soon.

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

There’s more hope than there was a week ago with Wilson

But still lingering durability questions

And it’s just painful because Fields’ talent was so obvious and he got shafted by the weird predraft “process”

I mean he’s like Lamar Jackson except a better, more proven collegiate passer

Fields has 22 turnovers since he came in the league (23 total fumbles and 16 INTs) and  Zach has 16. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Fields has 40 turnovers since he came in the league. Zach has 16. 

Check again

Fields has 22

16 INT and 6 lost fumbles 

Nice try though 

Fields’ INT rate is 3.5% trying to force the ball to scrub WRs who can’t get separation 

Wilson’s is 2.9%

Not a massive differential bro

Wilson’s never had more than 2 TD passes a game 

Wilson will never rush for 170+ yards in game.  Not happening. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Check again

Fields has 22

16 INT and 6 lost fumbles 

Nice try though 

Fields’ INT is 3.5% trying to force the ball to scrub WRs

Wilson’s is 2.9%

Not a massive difference bro

Wake me up when Wilson throws 3 or more TDs in a game

Wilson’s never had more than 2 TD passes a game 

Wilson will never rush for 170+ yards in game.  Not happening. 

I changed my original post. 23 total fumbles, 16 INTs. Yet Jets fans praise him and kill Zach 

10 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Wake me up when Wilson throws 3 or more TDs in a game. 

I was with you until this. This is a dumb argument. 

"Wake me up when Fields throws for 300 yards"  - he's never thrown for 300 yards. Zach hadn't until a week ago - Do you see why this is dumb?

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I changed my original post. 23 total fumbles, 16 INTs. Yet Jets fans praise him and kill Zach 

Wilson literally just fumbled on Sunday, a play which could have easily cost them the game 

I was in Denver when he had that ridiculous fumble where he ran ass backwards first and looked a drunk guy falling down but got bailed out when the refs ruled him down

Fields just played a clean game on Sunday with 4 TDs and 0 TOs

Fields needs to work on his ball security in the pocket and as a runner.  Those things can be fixed with technique and habit.

Wilson literally just gave the ball to NE 3 times less than 10 days ago.

You can’t teach Fields’ all-world ability as a rusher.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Wilson literally just fumbled on Sunday, a play which could have easily cost them the game 

I was in Denver when he had that ridiculous fumble where he ran ass backwards first and looked a drunk guy falling down but got bailed out when the refs ruled him down

Fields just played a clean game on Sunday with 4 TDs and 0 TOs

Fields needs to work on his ball security in the pocket and as a runner.  Those things can be fixed with technique and habit.

Wilson literally just gave the ball to NE 3 times less than 10 days ago.

You can’t teach Fields’ all-world ability as a rusher.

and you can’t teach Zach’s all world ability as a passer. That’s why he was drafted before Fields was 

• Ugh 1

You hope his age is a factor combined with his extreme rawness coming out of BYU.  I didn't appreciate just how raw he was as a rookie.

He's got the physical ability and the right mental makeup, so you just hope he corrects the correctable - decision making, taking care of the football, not being reckless, and cleaning up his mechanics.  Pocket presence is a concern but looked better last week.

I hate to say this but I'm really disappointed he missed out on Greg Knapp's tutelage.   Tragic loss of life of course, but really was exactly what Zach needed.

• Upvote 1