MIKE WHITE

T0mShane

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I agree with the Chad comparison, and think that White Knight can be a decent starter and actually win games over the next couple of seasons until we find our stud QB (either Zack figures it out… We draft someone… free agency…trade).

My one fear is I think our Super Bowl Run Window opens next year. Those close quickly before major roster departures happen. 

Yes, this team has a 2 maybe 3 year window that it can win it all with a guy like Mike White (if he is who we hope he is)

We will then start to lose this high end talent to age and FA....You hope to develop that stud QB with which you can win with less talent.  As you said, it might be Zach, it might be someone else - but try and develop someone special as you're winning with Mike White over the next 2 to 3 years.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I mean....you say this, and it sounds great, but when I watch the replay all I can think is "that's probably an easier catch to make than having to grab a perfectly thrown ball with some zip on it".  I played WR in high school....I was terrible.....but I can't help but think that if I had an opportunity to catch THAT ball with the game on the line, I might have actually gotten laid before college.  

BTW what do you mean by "running back going full speed"?  Are you talking about Berrios?  He was clearly coming to a dead stop as he found a seam in the defense.   Unless I'm misunderstanding who you're talking about.   

Yeah, meant to say WR.  Not RB.  

He was coming to a stop because he had to get to the ground to make a play.  Not like he was standing there for a couple of seconds.  He was running, found a spot and hit the ground - when the ball hit him on the back shoulder.  

My problem isn't that it was catchable - it was.   My problem is around here that we hear it was a perfect throw - it wasn't.  It wasn't all Berrios.  This is five yards away - not 20.  20 yards away he has a chance to adjust and it's more reasonable the throw be off.  5 yards he has no reaction time and the ball should have been better placed.  That's all.  

It shouldn't be a controversial view when it's the reality as to what happened.  But you're not allowed to question and Great and Powerful Mike White.  Mike White is beyond reproach.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, this team has a 2 maybe 3 year window that it can win it all with a guy like Mike White (if he is who we hope he is)

We will then start to lose this high end talent to age and FA....You hope to develop that stud QB with which you can win with less talent.  As you said, it might be Zach, it might be someone else - but try and develop someone special as you're winning with Mike White over the next 2 to 3 years.

It just sucks knowing if White started against both NE games we’d be 9-3 playing for division lead this Sunday.

Yup…I’d expect they:

• Roll with White next year after open camp competition with Wilson that Zack will lose

• Sign another vet cheap to replace Flacco and also camp compete

• By end of 2023 going into 2024 if Zack is the guy great (obviously )if not it’s White time again and/or you draft someone high, trade, sign someone in free agency.

• By 2024 we need a stud QB one way or another.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He was coming to a stop because he had to get to the ground to make a play.  Not like he was standing there for a couple of seconds.  He was running, found a spot and hit the ground - when the ball hit him on the back shoulder.  

My problem isn't that it was catchable - it was.   My problem is around here that we hear it was a perfect throw - it wasn't.  It wasn't all Berrios.  This is five yards away - not 20.  20 yards away he has a chance to adjust and it's more reasonable the throw be off.  5 yards he has no reaction time and the ball should have been better placed.  That's all.  

It shouldn't be a controversial view when it's the reality as to what happened.  But you're not allowed to question and All and Powerful Mike White.  Mike White is beyond reproach.

I don't think I've seen one person say it was a "perfect throw".  I've seen people saying that, even though the throw was behind Berrios, considering how little zip it had on it, it should have been a pretty simple catch.  You can talk about the lack of reaction time all you want but the man got both hands on the ball.  Not even that but he got both hands UNDER the ball, which should have made the catch even easier for him.  Just cradle it into your body.  Berrios choked, simple as that.

Not a good throw, I think we can all admit, but good enough to win the game.  There's a lot you can criticize White for with this game - some of the other throws in that 4th quarter were just not good.  The Wilson deep ball stands out for sure.  The Berrios play though?  I dunno...it's like giving your 1st baseman a pass for botching a throw because he had to extend his arm a bit.  You're paid to catch the ball, catch the ball.  I understand some bad throws are much harder to make a play on than others.  This IMO wasn't one of them.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

It just sucks knowing if White started against both NE games we’d be 9-3 playing for division lead this Sunday.

Yup…I’d expect they:

• Roll with White next year after open camp competition with Wilson that Zack will lose

• Sign another vet cheap to replace Flacco and also camp compete

• By end of 2023 going into 2024 if Zack is the guy great (obviously )if not it’s White time again and/or you draft someone high, trade, sign someone in free agency.

• By 2024 we need a stud QB one way or another.

If White continues to play at this level - Completely agree.  Your plan is probably the best option the Jets will have on the table.

We'll have to start asking other tough questions like - how much do you have to pay White though?

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What kind of ******* window is that?  Who are these irreplaceable studs that we are going to lose in FA?  Literally the only super high level guys we have - top picks or high end free agents are Quinnen, Sauce, G. Wilson, Z.Wilson, Mosley and Lawson.  Two of them you guys are looking to cut for cap space and two are under contract for more than four more years.  One will get a big deal and I don't think anybody is worried about losing Zach.  Replacing him sure, but losing him?  

If you guys think Reed, Kwon, Clemons, AVT, Breece Hall, the Michael Carters are so ******* good, what's the big deal?  Which of those guys cost such a devastaing amount that we shouldn't have options at the same level again?  We should be stuffing our roster with guys like that.  Douglas and Saleh know what they want.  They have a system in place.  Players love it and finding pieces to fit is going to get easier.  He has already shown he is not afraid to roll guys for picks and starting a pipeline.  Relax and let the GM do his job.  Don't go all LA Rams on me now.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It shouldn't be a controversial view when it's the reality as to what happened.  But you're not allowed to question and Great and Powerful Mike White.  Mike White is beyond reproach.

You need to take this L and move on.  You're wrong.  Dead wrong and now you're just embarrassing yourself by exposing your silly anti-White agenda. 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

agreed. our window is now till 2024-25 . we wont be able to sign everyone like AVT, Sause, Hall, QW, GW. were probably looking at at minimum over 100 mil for those 5 players.

cant play games at QB. if White isnt the guy this year we need to bring in someone for 2023. cant blow these years on a chance Zach is the guy.

Bart Scott said that 17 is the magic number. If the defense can hold any opponent to 17 the Jets SHOULD be able to win the game. They gave up 27 points against the Vikings and the defense HAS to do a better job than that if they figure to win on Sunday against ANOTHER one of the best teams in the league-on the road and in a VERY loud and hostile stadium. Tall order my brethren, this one is one of those are they contenders or pretenders. What can NOT happen is the officials killing us again , with twice as many calls and the same amount of non-calls. That is the one thing I'm afraid we can't overcome, against one the best teams, in their house, playing with an advantage from a crooked and biased zebra crew. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not to single out @FidelioJet here, but it’s fairly predictable that the pro-Zach set (from Simms on down) has immediately swung to, “Mike White better be Joe Montana and the Jets better win the Super Bowl.” The Jets were clearly going nowhere with Zach Wilson. He was benched on his own merits. This shouldn’t be treated as an either/or situation. 

Why is this even being discussed any longer Tom? It's a moot point, Zach Wilson has as much effect on these games as you or I do, the only difference is he gets to fly to the game with the team and sit on the sidelines and we don't. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What kind of ******* window is that?  Who are these irreplaceable studs that we are going to lose in FA?  Literally the only super high level guys we have - top picks or high end free agents are Quinnen, Sauce, G. Wilson, Z.Wilson, Mosley and Lawson.  Two of them you guys are looking to cut for cap space and two are under contract for more than four more years.  One will get a big deal and I don't think anybody is worried about losing Zach.  Replacing him sure, but losing him?  

If you guys think Reed, Kwon, Clemons, AVT, Breece Hall, the Michael Carters are so ******* good, what's the big deal?  Which of those guys cost such a devastaing amount that we shouldn't have options at the same level again?  We should be stuffing our roster with guys like that.  Douglas and Saleh know what they want.  They have a system in place.  Players love it and finding pieces to fit is going to get easier.  He has already shown he is not afraid to roll guys for picks and starting a pipeline.  Relax and let the GM do his job.  Don't go all LA Rams on me now.

Yes,  as you stated..

Q. Williams, Sauce, G. Wilson, AVT, Breece, Huff will all want to get paid.   You're going to need another #2 WR (unless we start to see something more from Moore) If you don't pay Lawson or Huff, you're going to have to pay someone high priced $ to rush from the edge (we don't know what JJ is yet)

Same with Mosely, sure you cut Mosely but you still need a high end LB for this system .  Reed will need to be paid again, of he loses a step and getting his level of play at his contract level won't be easy to duplicate.

You also have to accept the reality that if, G. Wilson, is the player we think he is, he will be holding out next offseason (not this up coming one) or possibly the year after - probably Sauce too.  When you have to start paying $30mm a year to a WR, $30mm a year to a DT, and $30mm a year to a CB - you start to run out of cap space very quickly.

This is the nature of the NFL.  

I'm not saying they won't be able to field a quality team, they should - JD is a good, smart GM.  But right now and for the next 2-3 years I believe they're going to have an abundance of talent - at the highest levels of the league.  You can't maintain that forever.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I thought I had you on ignore..somehow I started getting your posts again.  I fixed it.

So if you don't see me reply to you, please don't be offended - I apologize as I won't be seeing your posts.

Yea, sure you did.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not to single out @FidelioJet here, but it’s fairly predictable that the pro-Zach set (from Simms on down) has immediately swung to, “Mike White better be Joe Montana and the Jets better win the Super Bowl.” The Jets were clearly going nowhere with Zach Wilson. He was benched on his own merits. This shouldn’t be treated as an either/or situation. 

This. This is your captain.

image.png.10b1a3270f33686abd48e44eaa2120b4.png

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, football guy said:

It's a Jets community. Big difference when we're discussing something which is so near and dear to my heart 

No, there’s literally no difference. It’s the internet. Making a spectacle if yourself and signaling that any idiot can troll you into a meltdown with one post is just a bad look. There’s no badge of honor or manly code here… you either look like a clown or you don’t. It’s binary.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes,  as you stated..

Q. Williams, Sauce, G. Wilson, AVT, Breece, Huff will all want to get paid.   You're going to need another #2 WR (unless we start to see something more from Moore) If you don't pay Lawson or Huff, you're going to have to pay someone high priced $ to rush from the edge (we don't know what JJ is yet)

Same with Mosely, sure you cut Mosely but you still need a high end LB for this system .  Reed will need to be paid again, of he loses a step and getting his level of play at his contract level won't be easy to duplicate.

You also have to accept the reality that if, G. Wilson, is the player we think he is, he will be holding out next offseason (not this up coming one) or possibly the year after - probably Sauce too.  When you have to start paying $30mm a year to a WR, $30mm a year to a DT, and $30mm a year to a CB - you start to run out of cap space very quickly.

This is the nature of the NFL.  

I'm not saying they won't be able to field a quality team, they should - JD is a good, smart GM.  But right now and for the next 2-3 years I believe they're going to have an abundance of talent - at the highest levels of the league.  You can't maintain that forever.

This is ******* insanity.  Our GM managed to field a team of studs, so let's neuter him and go all in a 2 or 3 year window? 

WHERE WILL WE EVER FIND ANOTHER PASS RUSHER AS GOOD AS BRYCE HUFF?  How about the gazillion UDFA.  Same place we found Bryce Huff. 

Q. Williams will need a contract.  Sauce and G. Wilson won't be FAs until 2027. AVT and Breece Hall won't be FAs until 2026.  As I said Huff is an UDFA that was inactive to start the season.  He has played like 15% of the defensive snaps.  Forgive me if I am not feeling like Celine Dion singing on the deck of the Titanic over the potential he moves on.  D.J. Reed won't be a free agent until 2025 and was a mid-tier signing. 

This whole idea is ******* incredible.  We have good players, woe is us!  You know what good players you don't care to sign back are called?  Compensatory draft picks.  Douglas found these guys and he will find more.  I am little concerned that most of his talent was at the top of the draft and that he traded up for some guys, but hopefully we won't have to do that in the future and can get some more opportunities by trading down.  Suck it up buttercup.  There will be other good players.  There is a new crop every year.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What?

I don't think he needs to be Montana.  I think he's better than Zach Wilson - and the record of the New York Jets should be better under Mike White than Zach Wilson.  Is that unreasonable?  The superior QB (being compared to Chad, Fitz and Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles)

With this defense and this talent - a team that went 5-2 with the worst QB in the NFL - what should we expect from Mike White?  Honest question.

I do keep hearing the Jets would have SURELY won both Pats games with Mike White - and the Jets would be 9-3 if Mike White started  by week 4.

I think it's reasonable to come to that conclusion - but then why should those expectations diminish now?  I mean this honestly...

A lot of talk on the Berrios drop, but if I'm Mike White or I'm Mike LeFleur, I'm not overly fixating on that one. The throw was decent, it gave the receiver to chance to make a play, he almost came down with it. On another day, he probably does. In terms of looking for ways to improve, I'm starting with the last four throws of the game.

First down, White doesn't see Moore who is open, runs the other way, throws it into the dirt. he doesn't try and force it which is fine. 

Second down, tries to force the ball into Garrett, nearly picked off. Not a bad throw/call, good play by the defender. 

Third down, moves out of the pocket, there is a Jet receiver (?) open on a crossing route, White runs to his right, bad throw to Moore. White actually has room to run for a first down here. 

Fourth down, similar to second, tries to force it into either Davis (or Garrett?), this time the ball is picked. Not a great route tree, or playcall. 

If we're in a similar situation again, can we do better than we did in those set of downs? I love Garrett as much as the next guy, but is he someone we trust to win a contested ball with everything on the line? Do we get Mims involved more, the tight ends? Does White need to use his legs more?

I don't know, but to win a play-off game, we need to do a lot better in the red zone than we did last week. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

@Integrity28 welcome to the club! Fredo only puts posters on ignore when he knows he's lost. 

So, I have no one on ignore - not even sure where you get that.  Except @Integrity28 who's a nasty guy that attacks the moment you don't agree with him.  Some people like that - and good for them. Some people enjoy the name calling.  I get it, it's just not for me.

Some people have bad days - and snap on occasion - I'm guilty of it too.  But it's constant there.  So not worth it for me.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

What?

I don't think he needs to be Montana.  I think he's better than Zach Wilson - and the record of the New York Jets should be better under Mike White than Zach Wilson.  Is that unreasonable?  The superior QB (being compared to Chad, Fitz and Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles)

With this defense and this talent - a team that went 5-2 with the worst QB in the NFL - what should we expect from Mike White?  Honest question.

I do keep hearing the Jets would have SURELY won both Pats games with Mike White - and the Jets would be 9-3 if Mike White started  by week 4.

I think it's reasonable to come to that conclusion - but then why should those expectations diminish now?  I mean this honestly...

They shouldn't, but people should not point to a loss against the Bills as some indictment of Mike White.  Especially if they lose 27-22.  They are on the road.  Yes, WIlson "won" the first Bills game, but they put up a whopping 20 points.  Seven were off a 19 yard drive after the INT and another three on a 53 yard FG.  The bar should not be win or lose in this game.  It is a team game, but we know how it is going to come across.  Expectations are they should roll Detroit and Jacksonville.  I still think they will, have your expectations changed?  Did you expect them to beat the Bills the first time? 

The world is unfair to the mike whites of the world. JD and Saleh both tied their butts to Zach for better or for worse. Only of a miracle falls into their laps ala Foles situation will white be starting next year. Thats the facts. The Jets are not beating the Bills. They shouldnt. Bills are better with a better QB playing at home. Mike white hasnt played with the starters for more than a few weeks. He is still getting rhythm etc. Its unfair, but such is life. We shall see if he can come up with a miracle.

7 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

A lot of talk on the Berrios drop, but if I'm Mike White or I'm Mike LeFleur, I'm not overly fixating on that one. The throw was decent, it gave the receiver to chance to make a play, he almost came down with it. On another day, he probably does. In terms of looking for ways to improve, I'm starting with the last four throws of the game.

First down, White doesn't see Moore who is open, runs the other way, throws it into the dirt. he doesn't try and force it which is fine. 

Second down, tries to force the ball into Garrett, nearly picked off. Not a bad throw/call, good play by the defender. 

Third down, moves out of the pocket, there is a Jet receiver (?) open on a crossing route, White runs to his right, bad throw to Moore. White actually has room to run for a first down here. 

Fourth down, similar to second, tries to force it into either Davis (or Garrett?), this time the ball is picked. Not a great route tree, or playcall. 

If we're in a similar situation again, can we do better than we did in those set of downs? I love Garrett as much as the next guy, but is he someone we trust to win a contested ball with everything on the line? Do we get Mims involved more, the tight ends? Does White need to use his legs more?

I don't know, but to win a play-off game, we need to do a lot better in the red zone than we did last week. 

Fine with the general idea, but I will say that I don't think Mike White using his legs is a thing.  Think Brady.  Not even young Brady.  I also do not think that getting Mims involved is a thing.  Ithink that question is for LaFleur who is generally dialing up which guy is which read, but I do not think Mims has earned getting the ball forced to him.  I am not going back to college tape from 2019 to get excited for the prospect.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is ******* insanity.  Our GM managed to field a team of studs, so let's neuter him and go all in a 2 or 3 year window? 

WHERE WILL WE EVER FIND ANOTHER PASS RUSHER AS GOOD AS BRYCE HUFF?  How about the gazillion UDFA.  Same place we found Bryce Huff. 

Q. Williams will need a contract.  Sauce and G. Wilson won't be FAs until 2027. AVT and Breece Hall won't be FAs until 2026.  As I said Huff is an UDFA that was inactive to start the season.  He has played like 15% of the defensive snaps.  Forgive me if I am not feeling like Celine Dion singing on the deck of the Titanic over the potential he moves on.  D.J. Reed won't be a free agent until 2025 and was a mid-tier signing. 

This whole idea is ******* incredible.  We have good players, woe is us!  You know what good players you don't care to sign back are called?  Compensatory draft picks.  Douglas found these guys and he will find more.  I am little concerned that most of his talent was at the top of the draft and that he traded up for some guys, but hopefully we won't have to do that in the future and can get some more opportunities by trading down.  Suck it up buttercup.  There will be other good players.  There is a new crop every year.

I'm not sure I'm following you.

All I'm saying is the talent level on the Jets right now is potentially elite.  Who's neutering anyone?  The best window the Jets are going to have win a championship is over the next 2-3 years.  They won't be able to maintain this level forever.

I didn't realize that was controversial.  I think most will agree.  

Now, If think JD can duplicate this type of talent without the need to top five drafts picks for many years - multiple first and second rounders in back to back years - I think that's great.  I like JD but I think that's a tough ask for anyone.

Instead of having top 5 picks and two first and two seconds...we're going to have bottom 10 picks and one pick a round.  I didn't realize this would bring out the anger level on this though.  

But I surely hope you're right.  I'm with you then. 

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They shouldn't, but people should not point to a loss against the Bills as some indictment of Mike White.  Especially if they lose 27-22.  They are on the road.  Yes, WIlson "won" the first Bills game, but they put up a whopping 20 points.  Seven were off a 19 yard drive after the INT and another three on a 53 yard FG.  The bar should not be win or lose in this game.  It is a team game, but we know how it is going to come across.  Expectations are they should roll Detroit and Jacksonville.  I still think they will, have your expectations changed?  Did you expect them to beat the Bills the first time? 

I agree, it shouldn't necessarily be an indictment of White, never said it was.  if he plays well and they still lose - it's surely not on him..  Not alone anyway.   I didn't put the MN. loss on Mike White - it was a total team loss - a lot of blame to go around... But the Jets overall should be expecting to win this game.  Not sure why they wouldn't. d.  

Did I expect then to win - no, but I did like their chances.  I also think before the Jets played them Buffalo seemed to be a better team - they seem very beatable right now - not the same team from last year.  Still very good and they are home - so tougher task for sure.

People are putting words in my mouth - never said Mike White has to be Joe Montana, never said it would be Mike White's fault if they lose, never said Zach Wilson should be playing...

All I've said over and over again..

The Jets are a very talented team, Mike White is an upgrade over Zach Wilson, Mike White should be starting the rest of the year - but I had the gall to think the last pass of the game wasn't a good throw and it seems, because I like Zach Wilson - somehow I hate Mike White.  Which isn't at all true.  I think Mike White has been very good, Mike White gives this Jets team the best chance to win - Mike White should take this team to playoffs - and if he continues to play well can make some noise in the playoffs.  That is ALL I've said....but it seems somehow I'm a troll for it.

You go and look, anyone that has had ANYTHING negative at all to say about Mike White has been relentlessly attacked....typically by three or four people...The Mike White Police I call them. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Fine with the general idea, but I will say that I don't think Mike White using his legs is a thing.  Think Brady.  Not even young Brady.  I also do not think that getting Mims involved is a thing.  Ithink that question is for LaFleur who is generally dialing up which guy is which read, but I do not think Mims has earned getting the ball forced to him.  I am not going back to college tape from 2019 to get excited for the prospect.

White will get opportunities to use his legs here and there. 

You are probably right on Mims. He came through on that quick slant against Buffalo on third down, but on any longer developing play, we don't seem to trust him and probably for good reason. Even if he does run the right route and you do you get the ball to him, he'll probably drop it. 

If we're not running it in with Carter, I'm not sure LeFleur has a go-to call he trusts in the red zone. We do miss that big-bodied receiver than you can throw a jump ball to. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

If White continues to play at this level - Completely agree.  Your plan is probably the best option the Jets will have on the table.

We'll have to start asking other tough questions like - how much do you have to pay White though?

I think you’re looking at the 5-10 mil range.

But Mike White will be showing up to the negotiating table like…

image.gif.18f7629686d53a5cbd86ef0456d0b02f.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think you’re looking at the 5-10 mil range.

But Mike White will be showing up to the negotiating table like…

image.gif.18f7629686d53a5cbd86ef0456d0b02f.gif

Wow...anything less than $10 would be huge.

I was actually thinking $15m to $20mm.  If you can get Mike White next year for $10mm or less, as the incumbent starter.  And he continues to play at the level he's been playing.  That should be the way to go.

I would much rather that than the draft picks and $30mm you would have to pay Carr. (And Carr was my top choice)

40 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Tough to just focus on those 4 on a day when 57 passes were thrown but especially when hypothetically, a last second effort w/ no times out wouldnt have been necessary if Berrios holds on the to ball that he was literally cradling.  That said, I think this is the perfect example of why you need to commit to Mike White.  Has he ever been in that position before in the NFL?  Situational awareness is developed, IMO and to be fair and critical of his play, that needs work.  Even on 3rd downs, a little to fast to get to check downs, but I think these things come w/ experience and now having those situations on tape, which he's never had before.  I also think Lil Mikey does need to tweak his RZ play calling to better fit Mike White's strengths.