MIKE WHITE

T0mShane

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Did you watch Eli Mannings career? I’m glad the team is rallying around White and perhaps we’ll get Willis Reed theatrics on a weekly basis, but maybe they can win a game or two as well. All this positivity for a last place team seems off. 

I’m a bit curious about it too, but i do think the last 4 games will be telling.  Huge audition for white to see if he can justify coming back in 2023 as the #1.  Last 4 games are all winnable but the ‘feel good’ vibes about the mike white story take a back seat to ‘can you get in the end zone when it counts’.  Everyone roots for the try hard backup who finally gets his shot but if you can’t score tds and beat the lions at home, you’re not making your case. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m a bit curious about it too, but i do think the last 4 games will be telling.  Huge audition for white to see if he can justify coming back in 2023 as the #1.  Last 4 games are all winnable but the ‘feel good’ vibes about the mike white story take a back seat to ‘can you get in the end zone when it counts’.  Everyone roots for the try hard backup who finally gets his shot but if you can’t score tds and beat the lions at home, you’re not making your case. 

But is it White’s fault? He passes the eye test with everything but the red zone issue is glaring. It seems to have been a team issue from even before White took over. The Jets need to figure that out and if MLF is more responsible, try to correct it and hopefully resign him to an incentive laden contract for 2 years that’s good for White/Jets to compete for the starting job in 23.

If White doesn’t set the world on fire, he can be resigned for a reasonable amount and have to compete to earn the starting job. I have NO idea why JD didn’t already resign him as the backup for a few years after flashing last year. He could have resigned him when he had low value and not had to worry about depth at the most important position.

The “coddling” of Zach Wilson and ridiculous moves to cater to his ego/confidence, has really messed things up for this team. The Jets will very possibly miss the playoffs and will have to over pay significantly for Mike White. Just absurd. Thank you JD, THANK YOU!!!!

• Upvote 4

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

But is it White’s fault? He passes the eye test with everything but the red zone issue is glaring. It seems to have been a team issue from even before White took over. The Jets need to figure that out and if MLF is more responsible, try to correct it and hopefully resign him to an incentive laden contract for 2 years that’s good for White/Jets to compete for the starting job in 23.

If White doesn’t set the world on fire, he can be resigned for a reasonable amount and have to contribute to earn the starting job. I have NO idea why JD didn’t already resign him as the backup for a few years after flashing last year. He could have resigned him when he had low value and not had to worry about depth at the most important position.

The “coddling” of Zach Wilson and ridiculous moves to cater to his ego/confidence, has really messed things up for this team. The Jets will very possibly miss the playoffs and will have to over pay significantly for Mike White. Just absurd. Thank you JD, THANK YOU!!!!

It’s usually at least some of the qb’s fault whenever you lose.  For white, his major shortcomings so far are 1) red zone inefficiency and 2) taking sacks/ not throwing it away quickly enough.  So he can improve.  But overall he’s playing well enough to win, and they definitely should have won the Vikings game.  And i think most here believe they would have won the 2nd NE game had he started.  But still, here we are at 7-6 and the team has 1 td in 2 games with white, and 1 td in 3 of the past 4 games combined if you include the NE game.  White may have his teammates behind him but if he does not get enough points these next 4 games and they fall short of the playoffs, he will have left the door open enough for either ZW to overtake him potentially next year in TC or douglas to get another vet to compete.  White looks promising but has not solidified his starter status beyond the next few weeks.  The ultimate audition.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s usually at least some of the qb’s fault whenever you lose.  For white, his major shortcomings so far are 1) red zone inefficiency and 2) taking sacks/ not throwing it away quickly enough.  So he can improve.  But overall he’s playing well enough to win, and they definitely should have won the Vikings game.  And i think most here believe they would have won the 2nd NE game had he started.  But still, here we are at 7-6 and the team has 1 td in 2 games with white, and 1 td in 3 of the past 4 games combined if you include the NE game.  White may have his teammates behind him but if he does not get enough points these next 4 games and they fall short of the playoffs, he will have left the door open enough for either ZW to overtake him potentially next year in TC or douglas to get another vet to compete.  White looks promising but has not solidified his starter status beyond the next few weeks.  The ultimate audition.

I agree it’s at least some of his fault. How much of his fault will dictate if it’s worth committing to him. The eyeball test says 100% but the red zone and taking avoidable sacks is a huge concern. It’s only been 3 games but if after 7 we seems the same issues without improvement, that would be very concerning. Regardless he needs to be here next season and should have been signed as backup with the option to compete 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I disagree.  The QB is not the reason for losses with Mike White.  Mike White is playing great, it's about the team around him that needs to play better.  Mike White is too consistent, losing to Detroit will be on everyone else.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree it’s at least some of his fault. How much of his fault will dictate if it’s worth committing to him. The eyeball test says 100% but the red zone and taking avoidable sacks is a huge concern. It’s only been 3 games but if after 7 we seems the same issues without improvement, that would be very concerning. Regardless he needs to be here next season and should have been signed as backup with the option to compete 

It’s hard to see a scenario next training camp where they have wilson, white and a guy like carr.  That’s why these 4 games are huge for white.  They need a larger sample to see if he’s good enough to justify not bringing in a vet to compete with white.  B/c increasingly it does not look as if wilson will be ready to compete, clearly he has a long way to go.  

Also as a side note, these 4 games are also big for moore and mims esp. with davis injured.  2 2nd round wrs who have a ton to prove.  

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Did you watch Eli Mannings career? I’m glad the team is rallying around White and perhaps we’ll get Willis Reed theatrics on a weekly basis, but maybe they can win a game or two as well. All this positivity for a last place team seems off. 

IMO, it’s just the wheat separating from the chaff. It was a weird year for much of it, but we’re starting to see the elite teams pull away, the garbage/injured teams sink to the bottom, and everyone else settle in at .500. If you look at the standings around the league right now, they look kinda like you’d expect them to look at the beginning of the year, aside from the Bucs and Rams imploding. The Giants, Seahawks, and us are moving back to the pack. I don’t think it’s really a reflection on the team getting worse, it’s just the natural order. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You keep making these ridiculously stupid strawman arguments that legit, means absolutely nothing but whatevs, it's your thing so I appreciate your commitment to it.  Just not really worthy of conversation.  

I think there is positivity around the Jets because they're firmly in the playoff hunt in Dec. and they're getting the best QB play they've ever seen from a QB in his first 5 starts and it's been a long time since fans had that type of engagement at this time of the year.  Especially when most people, like you, had this team picking in the top 3 again and being the softest of softest teams to ever play Football.  But we all enjoy things for different reasons, so hopefully you'll find some enjoyment out of this team during a welcomed period of relevance late in the season.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JiFields said:

You keep making these ridiculously stupid strawman arguments that legit, means absolutely nothing but whatevs, it's your thing so I appreciate your commitment to it.  Just not really worthy of conversation.  

I think there is positivity around the Jets because they're firmly in the playoff hunt in Dec. and they're getting the best QB play they've ever seen from a QB in his first 5 starts and it's been a long time since fans had that type of engagement at this time of the year.  Especially when most people, like you, had this team picking in the top 3 again and being the softest of softest teams to ever play Football.  But we all enjoy things for different reasons, so hopefully you'll find some enjoyment out of this team during a welcomed period of relevance late in the season.

I am enjoying the season. However, the Jets and the fanbase have always had a habit of getting ahead of themselves. With White, we’ve gotten way ahead of ourselves.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s hard to see a scenario next training camp where they have wilson, white and a guy like carr.  That’s why these 4 games are huge for white.  They need a larger sample to see if he’s good enough to justify not bringing in a vet to compete with white.  B/c increasingly it does not look as if wilson will be ready to compete, clearly he has a long way to go.  

Also as a side note, these 4 games are also big for moore and mims esp. with davis injured.  2 2nd round wrs who have a ton to prove.  

I agree and they should just roll with White, Wilson and a mid/late round rookie. It is what it is. No way they can afford or should get a fools gold veteran outsider when White has basically shown that he is the guy. He’s not perfect but he’s more than adequate and almost completely home grown. I have no interest in a vet that will cost 30 mil+ and not be what we are looking for. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, it’s just the wheat separating from the chaff. It was a weird year for much of it, but we’re starting to see the elite teams pull away, the garbage/injured teams sink to the bottom, and everyone else settle in at .500. If you look at the standings around the league right now, they look kinda like you’d expect them to look at the beginning of the year, aside from the Bucs and Rams imploding. The Giants, Seahawks, and us are moving back to the pack. I don’t think it’s really a reflection on the team getting worse, it’s just the natural order. 

For the jets in particular 3 of the past 4 games were on the road vs tough teams.  In truth the shame of it all is that saleh didn’t bench wilson sooner b/c they probably would have won that road NE game.  I’m more curious about how white does with 2 winnable home games and 2 reasonable road games.  You can’t really judge a qb by how he does in buffalo in the snow, but at home vs Detroit and jax and on the road vs miami in what is a quasi home game is a great opportunity to see if white can deliver.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, JiFields said:

2 of the busiest threads on the board are pining for the return of Zach Wilson, so your feelings are probably more based on how you consume what is being presented about Mike White.  You're always going to have some over the top posters who have irrational support for certain players.  I dont see anyone proclaiming anything about Mike White other than, he's obviously the best QB on the team and it's exciting to see an offense that can move the ball through the air for the first time in a long long time.

Personally, I cant wait to see how the season plays out because Mike White is an exciting player and I would love to see him go take this job and never look back.  It's a great story. 

Anything other than Zach befuddled in the backfield wondering what language the playbook is written in searching for the  close caption button and just whipping the remote out of bounds because everything is moving so fast and he knows nothing eise  to do is a great story, . 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Anything other than Zach befuddled in the backfield wondering what language the playbook is written in searching for the  close caption button and just whipping the remote out of bounds because everything is moving so fast and he knows nothing eise  to do is a great story, . 

Do you have Joe Flacco amnesia? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

He's got a lot of completions without getting first downs by throwing short of the sticks.   There seems to be a huge emphaisis on getting rid of the ball quick.  Sometimes QB's actually have to hold onto the ball a little longer.  White's lack of mobility and fragile frame may make that part of his game a little harder.

Personally I think the O should have the QB taking a lot more snaps under center.  I think it helps the QB and the running back.  It's also can help with rhythm and timing in the passing game.   Watch tape of the really good passers pulling out from under center.  It sets their footwork on the throw.  

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

We gotta calm down with this stuff. The Jets lost. He took two regular football hits. Neither hit was dirty. He played a fine game in tough conditions but they lost. Coming back into the game is expected for a guy with a ton to prove. He wasn’t injured. Until White proves he can get the ball into the end zone, we should probably calm down with the warrior stuff. Check out Eli’s resume maybe and how many snaps he missed during his career. We are propping this guy up already into something he isn’t. After 1 win they were already reading their own press clippings with the Mighty Ducks costumes. Guess what- they’ve lost two in a row since then with making scoring a touchdown looking like an act of god.

Calm down with what stuff? There's no hero worshipping of some champion "warrior" in what I wrote. I said this is a vet who happens to be a lot like the rest of us. We really want to see the Jets win and get to the playoffs and White wants to see us do the same. He has a lot to prove to us, himself,  but most importantly for his family. He needs this to work out mostly for them. He is one of the lowest paid players on the team, making a million less than Braden Mann! How much is Zach making this year let's just say 9 million for each TD pass he's thrown?  He is the one who will benefit from winning and getting the ball in the EZ, (which he has proven to be able to do MUCH better than anyone else on the team ).

Why you would invoke Eli Manning into the mix is a curious thing to me but if you want to make that comparison, let's look at the data:

Eli Manning's first 7 games he went:      95-197  48.2 COMP %    1043 YDS 6 TDS  9 INTS  Giant's record was 1-6

Mike White's first 7 games he went:    168-261  64.4 COMP %    1905 YDS  8 TDS  10 INTS  Jets record was 2-4

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I am enjoying the season. However, the Jets and the fanbase have always had a habit of getting ahead of themselves. With White, we’ve gotten way ahead of ourselves.

Fan is short for fanatic.  Who cares if people get excited?  We’re used to disappointment.  Most of us can handle it.

Did you tell your kids that Santa isn’t real when they were 5?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fan is short for fanatic.  Who cares if people get excited?  We’re used to disappointment.  Most of us can handle it.

If he didnt, I'd be highly disappointed and question everything I thought I knew about my old pal. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

4 minutes ago, JiFields said:

I dont know what I like better, the data or the pencil dick dweeb face that Mike White is making almost saying, "how hard is this sh*t, guys?  I mean come'on, look at me, I'm doing this, why cant you"?

5,394 yards?!

Remember Robert Saleh's first post-game press conference, where he described Mike White's game with words like "boring" and "obvious".   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I dunno.

Weve jumped around the standings all season pretty emphatically.

To me, I was expecting a horrid season. Not for one second have I ever felt Zach was going to be the guy. So, to me I came in with dismal expectations. 

Instead, we have become a team that competes for 60 min, 75% of the time plays good ball, and when we lose it usually can be traced to a few errors, not an epic sh*t show. That’s Al promising and worthy of not being a miserable ****.

Add to it the vibes. Add to it the potential underdog story of Mike White… and yea, positivity is apropos. The team still needs to learn how to win more consistently, but for the first time in over 10 years you can see the makings of a winning club.

If you want to nope about that, go ahead, but stop insisting everyone is wrong for being content about meaningful football in December.

We cannot control the outcomes.

We can control how much we let a game we don’t play in affect us.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Calm down with what stuff? There's no hero worshipping of some champion "warrior" in what I wrote. I said this is a vet who happens to be a lot like the rest of us. We really want to see the Jets win and get to the playoffs and White wants to see us do the same. He has a lot to prove to us, himself,  but most importantly for his family. He needs this to work out mostly for them. He is one of the lowest paid players on the team, making a million less than Braden Mann! How much is Zach making this year let's just say 9 million for each TD pass he's thrown?  He is the one who will benefit from winning and getting the ball in the EZ, (which he has proven to be able to do MUCH better than anyone else on the team ).

Why you would invoke Eli Manning into the mix is a curious thing to me but if you want to make that comparison, let's look at the data:

Eli Manning's first 7 games he went:      95-197  48.2 COMP %    1043 YDS 6 TDS  9 INTS  Giant's record was 1-6

Mike White's first 7 games he went:    168-261  64.4 COMP %    1905 YDS  8 TDS  10 INTS  Jets record was 2-4

Excited Kill Shot GIF by 60 Second Docs

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I am excited too. It’s fun to have games to care about. But I don’t see how over exaggerating Whites performance or gutsiness helps the Jets after losses. White coming back into the game has overshadowed the Jets losing…again.