Jets' C.J. Uzomah: Zach Wilson 'rubbed the team the wrong way' after Patriots loss

THE BARON

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

More likely this was just the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Of course they didn’t want to bench him

They’ve stated over and over in ridiculous fashion how they’re “committed” to ZW

They don’t want the stain of whiffing this badly on a QB that high on their resumes 

I really wish Hughes would ask him how it feels to have passed on Micah Parsons, Jamarr Chase, Penei Sewell, Waddle, etc. for the worst starting QB in the league

No doubt he would say “the right things”, but I want to see if Saleh could actually control his body language / facial expressions 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

Inmo I don’t think they wanted to bench Zach at all either… this was supposed to be a small step 7 win team ..growing year for Zach. The problem is we got pretty damn good pretty damn quick this year. And this D is really good!! Cant waste any games seeing if Zach is the one. He single-handedly lost both Patriot games We should be 9-2. And the press conference was the straw that broke the camels back. It was the perfect storm..Saleh HAD to make that change.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I fully agree. There was never a plan to bench Zach and had he figured out the  media was asking a gotcha question, and just answered it the way everyone does, he would still be playing. This BS that CJ somehow  threw Zach under the bus really makes no sense. Zach did this to himself. CJ did not cause Zach harm by saying what he did. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Of course they didn’t want to bench him

They’ve stated over and over in ridiculous fashion how they’re “committed” to ZW

They don’t want the stain of whiffing this badly on a QB that high on their resumes 

I really wish Hughes would ask him how it feels to have passed on Micah Parsons, Jamarr Chase, Penei Sewell, Waddle, etc. for the worst starting QB in the league

No doubt he would say “the right things”, but I want to see if Saleh could actually control his body language and facial expressions 

It's  not like Zach was not a highly regarded prospect coming out of college. This wasn't a Daniel Jones pick that came out of nowhere. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Agreed .. but for Zach to **** up that badly .. by extension Uzomah failed in his duty of mentoring Zach to be professional.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yah everyone failed Zach and he doesn’t need to take any personal accountability.  Spot on!

FFS man he may be only 23 but he’s also an adult who was taken # 2 overall.  If he’s a big baby rather than a leader that should have been discovered in the pre-draft process, no?  Or perhaps the golden boy was just a fraud?  

Either way he needs to handle this situation perfectly and humbly going forward.  If he wasn’t a professional or a leader before he needs to become one, quickly, with his words and actions.  Sink or swim time.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

lol somehow Zach's sh*tty attitude is CJ's fault?!  What kind of Bs...

You could hire 200 mentors, but all they can do lead a horse to water... ridiculous to associate their competence with Zach's character. if 25 other guys in the locker room say - "Hey, i like that Uzomah guy -- i think i'll take a page from his book", but the 1 who doesn't - is a reflection of CJ's mentorship ability? 

I don't think so bud. It's a reflection of ZW and only ZW

Dude is flailing so hard right now to defend Zach Wilson.  

He apparently learned nothing from his Jamal Adams’ wrongness.  Sad. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

I think Jamie Fox learned the same lesson when he was benched for Dennis Quaid.  A bold move by Pacino that hopefully will play out with similar results for Wilson and Salah.  Now if we can just get the writer of “Any Given Sunday” to write the script for the 2022 Jets we’d be in business.   Otherwise I don’t feel as optimistic.  ?

They already did that. IK was just supposed to give Geno a shiner, though, not break his ****ing jaw.

The real problem is they're not professional actors, although I admit Saleh is less of a ham than Pacino.

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm always been a fan of Zach and still believe he's been treated poorly by this fan base...

With that said, it can't just be a one of two comments immediately following a bad loss - that caused the team to completely turn on him.  There has to be something more than that.

Is it just that he wasn't playing well? Or was there more on a personal level?

Tough to know.

from being in lockerrooms its generally him not playing well, then when you combine that with the comment that generally gives a more pointed target to the frustration bubbling up.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

You really need to take that stick out of your ass. I have been using that term for about 50 years and nobody ever question my adulthood or knowledge  of a subject due to it's use until you just did it now.  Maybe if you don't  want people to think you are a stuck up old fart, you should try to defend your position of a normal point and counterpoint conversation instead of criticizing  someone use of a particular  noun. 

Hocus Pocus Dude GIF

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

These are two different discussions.  
His poor play in why he was benched. 

The team completely turning on him is a different question.  It could just from poor play, but it feels like it’s more than that. 

You brought up both points, I only followed. ?

For players who are interested in continue to win, there is nothing more detrimental than to be forced to play with people who they perceive dont have the same commitment, culture, mentality, effort, and performance. 

I feel that players and coaches have been concerned with Wilson's performance to the point to be annoyed by it. Then the comments after the Patriots loss changed form annoyance to utter anger. Kinda like "we've been putting up with you and now you say this?"

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Again, you just don’t get it... This isn’t about Wilson “losing the locker room” through bad play and/or arrogance.
It’s about these clowns running to the press to air out things that should be kept in house. Ozumah is supposed to be a leader, and one of Wilson’s best friends. Turns out he was one of the first to throw him under the bus. That’s some leader, and some friend. ?

I don’t know why Saleh didn’t step in immediately and tell these losers this better not happen… It isn’t how a professional team should  behave, and it isn’t something a good HC should condone.

I assume you didn't listen to the piece?  Maybe didn't read the whole thing?  I think Uzomah's point was that Zach gave an emotional apology which guys accepted. It wasn't to say "Zach is a douche he lost the locker room."  Fact is, that was all aired out last week.  Mike White is starting how could it be made any more obvious?  

I'm so over all of this nitpicking of Zach, what he said or didn't say, text or didn't text, his body language, his upbringing, etc. He's just a young kid from Utah. Let him mature at his own pace.

In the mean time I'm team MFW 100%

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I assume you didn't listen to the piece?  Maybe didn't read the whole thing?  I think Uzomah's point was that Zach gave an emotional apology which guys accepted. It wasn't to say "Zach is a douche he lost the locker room."  Fact is, that was all aired out last week.  Mike White is starting how could it be made any more obvious?  

If that was all he said, I’d be fine with it. I just didn’t like the fact that he brought up other guys being upset with Zach (I get it, it really wasn’t a secret, but…) and the part where he didn’t get replies to his texts rubbed me the wrong way also. Why say that?

I also think Saleh should’ve told these guys to keep their mouths shut, but I guess times have changed. Anyway, I’m not here to defend Wilson, I just hate seeing this s**t made public.

At the end of the day though, this is getting well past the point of me beating a dead horse, so I’ll just leave it at that.

16 hours ago, Barkus said:

There have several remarks that Zach wasn’t looking good in practice either in the past few weeks. This has been building up.

Yup.  If Zach had been playing well, had one bad game followed by a bad presser, he would have still been out there.  Off field comments may have been the last straw, but this was building up over a number of weeks, imo.

• Upvote 1

This is pretty much the way I heard things. Wilson went to Saleh on Monday morning unsolicited to address what happened and wanted to address the team over it. Saleh advised him not to say anything yet and they ultimately had a wider discussion (which I’m not privy to the details of), but coach’s perspective was that Zach was not in the right headspace and it unintentionally became the catalyst that put the “reset” wheels in motion. Right or wrong, Zach wasn’t getting benched if all this didn’t happen, but it gave Saleh a reason to dig deeper and get more involved with the offense, and those open and honest discussions with LaFleur on the root of his inconsistent play—and how to correct it—ultimately sparked the change. Being that he’s a captain of the team, they weren’t going to paint it as a disciplinary measure, which would’ve sparked more national attention, hence the half-honest reasoning for the performance-based “reset”. 

As far as Zach: hate him, love him, indifferent towards him, people that work closely to him (some of which are not crazy about his personality) have said that he was eaten up by what happened from Sunday night through Wednesday. When Saleh informed him of the benching officially, he said that would be the right opportunity for Zach to address the team, which he did. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yah everyone failed Zach and he doesn’t need to take any personal accountability.  Spot on!

FFS man he may be only 23 but he’s also an adult who was taken # 2 overall.  If he’s a big baby rather than a leader that should have been discovered in the pre-draft process, no?  Or perhaps the golden boy was just a fraud?  

Either way he needs to handle this situation perfectly and humbly going forward.  If he wasn’t a professional or a leader before he needs to become one, quickly, with his words and actions.  Sink or swim time.  

https://www.athletespeakers.com/speaker/zach-wilson

Booking Request Form for Zach Wilson

We respond to most inquries within 2 hours. Under special circumstances, It may take up to 24 hours.

Can't even spell inquiries, correctly.

• Haha 1