Playoff outlook

Most playoff simulations ran have us losing out on tiebreakers at 10-7. NE has brutal schedule, they won’t be there no matter what happens tonight. LAC may run the table with their garbage schedule, I think they’re in. That leaves us and Miami with a potential win and in game week 18. 11 wins is now the magic number. 

There is no team on the rest of the schedule that the Jets can't beat.  The Jets have
shutdown BUF offense twice.  Allen has been pedestrian while Diggs & Davis have been
eliminated.  I don't care about how well DET & JAX have been playing they aren't up to
the caliber of BUF.  Also DET is a dome team while JAX is a warm weather team, they now
have to travel to the cold, windy environment of the northeast.  If we're serious about
the playoffs we have to sweep this homestand.  After that SEA has been exposed recently 
losing to LV and CAR at home while MIA has lost two in a row with BUF coming up on Sat.
The key to beating MIA is to press their WR and make Tua throw into tight windows or 
deep.  We should be shooting for 4-0, playoffs have to be earned 

Unlikely.

The last three road losses have killed us, the former two especially were games we just threw away. If we win even one of those we're sitting pretty. 

To make sure we have to win out. At the very least we'll need to go 3-1. Not a single one of our games is a gimme, all winnable and all losable. 

I expect 2-2 and to just miss out, which is still a pretty great season all things considered. The team is closer than it should be at this point. 

• Upvote 1

Despite what some are trying to convince you of, Miami's loss last night was favorable for us.  It might have knocked us out of the playoffs if the season ended today, but the season doesn't end today.

If the Fins had won last night, they'd be up 2 games on us with 4 to play.  The chances of getting ahead of them would be slim.

If the Fins had won last night, there would be 3 teams (Jets, LAC, NE) playing for 1 spot (the 7 seed).  33% chance.

With the Chargers winning last night, there are 4 teams (Jets, MIA, LAC, NE) playing for 2 spots (the 6th and 7th seed). 50% chance.

Jets are basically in if they win out. 

You can't ask for much more then being in control of your own destiny.

The only way the Jets are out, even if they win out, is if the Pats also win out, which would mean the Pats swept the final three weeks of the season against CIN, MIA and @ Buf.  

That game @Buf in week 17 looks like it will still be a must win for the Bills in order to get the #1 seed.  The Bills have the tiebreaker over the Chiefs due to their head to head win, but the Chiefs final four games are @HOU, SEA, DEN, @LV - all games they will be significant favorites in.

Ultimately it's all up to the Jets.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Despite what some are trying to convince you of, Miami's loss last night was favorable for us.  It might have knocked us out of the playoffs if the season ended today, but the season doesn't end today.
If the Fins had won last night, they'd be up 2 games on us with 4 to play.  The chances of getting ahead of them would be slim.
If the Fins had won last night, there would be 3 teams (Jets, LAC, NE) playing for 1 spot (the 7 seed).  33% chance.
With the Chargers winning last night, there are 4 teams (Jets, MIA, LAC, NE) playing for 2 spots (the 6th and 7th seed). 50% chance.

Jets are basically in if they win out. 

You can't ask for much more then being in control of your own destiny.

The only way the Jets are out, even if they win out, is if the Pats also win out, which would mean the Pats swept the final three weeks of the season against CIN, MIA and @ Buf.  

That game @Buf in week 17 looks like it will still be a must win for the Bills in order to get the #1 seed.  The Bills have the tiebreaker over the Chiefs due to their head to head win, but the Chiefs final four games are @HOU, SEA, DEN, @LV - all games they will be significant favorites in.

Ultimately it's all up to the Jets.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

I'd prefer to not have to win out.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, rldev said:

You are not familiar with the Chargers I see.

Even with their propensity for letdowns, you’re talking 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league in Denver & Indianapolis; plus Tenn’s D has fallen apart to match their offense in weakness (yet they’re still the #4 seed b/c of their joke division); and the Rams are without Stafford, Kupp, and Donald (among others, but that’s enough). The Raiders are the only sub-.500 team they’ve lost to in the past couple months.

They still have to actually do it, but there’s every likelihood they win out. Even if they kinda choke it’s hard to see them losing more than 1 of the last 4. 

Jets’ remaining schedule?

Detroit is on fire right now. We should beat Jax but they’re not the total pushover they were. Seattle is another we should beat; they’ve got a couple top WRs but our corners are a tough matchup for them. Seattle remains one of the better home-field advantages. Miami is likewise still a hard win to get in FL where they’ve only lost once this year. 

I think we’d leapfrog Miami before the Chargers. They still have to play in Buffalo, in NE, vs GB (and us).

Tough road to get in, but that’s what happens when we lose 2 in a row in December (and 3 of the last 4 outright). 

So you'd prefer to lose games?
I mean...if you want to get into the playoffs by going 2-2 over the last four...what's the point?
Not what I'm saying .. I just wish the Jets had handled business and beat the Pats, Vikes or Bills.

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Not what I'm saying .. I just wish the Jets had handled business and beat the Pats, Vikes or Bills.

The Vikings game was crushing. And it felt way too moral victoryish for the Jets. They should have won that game.

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I get that...but they didn't, so these are the cards we've been dealt. 

Our best chance to make the playoffs is to handle our own division, not worry about the Chargers.

The Phins still have games @Buf @NE and the Jets.

The Pats still have games vs. MIA, CIN and @ Buf

The easiest way for the Jets to get into the playoffs is to finish ahead of the Phins and the Pats.  If the Phins had won last night, that scenario would be highly unlikely as they would have a 2 game lead over us with 4 to play.

12 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

If you’re going by where we thought we’d be right now before the season started, I agree.

If we miss the playoffs after starting 7-4 though, it’s really not.

If we get to 10-6 and we just miss the playoff  it sucks but as much as any sane could even imagine would happen before season starts. If we crap the bed and don’t win but a couple more that would be a huge let down. 

At first, it felt like the best path was for the Chargers to lose last night in order to keep the playoff window open. But with the Dolphins losing, they are a game from playing themselves out of the playoff race if the Jets can get the W, and they play the Bills on Saturday. As long as the Jets win the next 2 games, the playoff picture will take care of itself. Jets at Miami the final week of the season may be for the final playoff spot

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If we get to 10-6 and we just miss the playoff  it sucks but as much as any sane could even imagine would happen before season starts. If we crap the bed and don’t win but a couple more that would be a huge let down. 

FYI - 17 game season these days. :-)

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

This is exactly where I am with this. If 10 isn’t good enough, so be it.
I’m not too upset over losing 3 of 4, although the Minny and NE games were right there for us. We’d be in such a better spot if we even got one of those.

Our remaining games are all winnable though now, and if we go 2-2 or 1-3, I don’t see how anyone wouldn’t think that was a failure.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t disagree, but in reality, we need to find a way to win more games than NE and LA, that’s it.

Who we beat to do that doesn’t matter. 10 wins should do it, if LA and NE lose tonight and tomorrow, 9 might be enough.

This is post Sunday night game, but there are a few paths and now one of the better ones is winning the best we can till we hit the last game and having to beat the Fins down there. If we even just take the home games we can hopefully do that and take the spot from the fins. NE has a schedule that may net them a few more losses with Bills, Cincy and Fins. Hopefully they also lose tonight against cards. Murray is eradic but hard to contain.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

This is exactly where I am with this. If 10 isn’t good enough, so be it.
I’m not too upset over losing 3 of 4, although the Minny and NE games were right there for us. We’d be in such a better spot if we even got one of those.

Our remaining games are all winnable though now, and if we go 2-2 or 1-3, I don’t see how anyone wouldn’t think that was a failure.

Exactly. 

The playoff situation is pretty simple now, barring a chargers collapse:
win 3 out of our last 4, with one of the 3 wins coming against Miami. That will almost certainly get us in. And anything less than that almost certainly will not. 

Bingo. This is the likely scenario.

Jets win 2 of the next 3 (DET, JAX, @SEA). Dolphins also win 2 of their next 3 (@BUF, GB, @NE) and Pats lose 2 of their next 4 (@ARI, @LV, CIN, MIA). This sets up a win-and-in scenario against the Dolphins in week 18 for both teams.

Chargers are likely to go 3-1 at worst (TEN, @IND, LAR, @DEN). So unless they completely implode it now looks like they’ll claim a WC spot along with either the Ravens or Bengals (whoever doesn’t win the North).

We are very much alive, and the chances appear pretty good that we’ll be alive in Week 18 unless we go 1-2 the next 3 weeks. And if we do, we don’t deserve to make the playoffs anyway.
  • Upvote 1