Which Potential Free Agent QB Would YOU Want...

SoFlaJets

57 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Mike White. Jets need to re-sign him. Let him and Zach Wilson battle it out in pre seasons. Jets won't have to break the bank for White either. 

If you're good with being barely over .500, possibly stealing the last playoff spot, and getting knocked out early, this is a great plan.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The only free agents the Jets should be interested in are Tom Brady and Mike White. They need to be serious about this next move, because time grows nigh for both Douglas and Saleh.

imagine if they signed Tom Brady and his age starts to show and becomes and interception machine....if this fanbase didnt already hate him enough he would need a secret service detail.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

That’s a fragile trio of QB’s. 

After the White injury, I have changed my position. I think White walks in free agency. It will be a Wilson, FA/trade, and draft pick competition. I do think Garoppolo is the best fit given his knowledge of the offense, but Carr would be the reach goal.

Lamar is unrealistic and everyone else is meh.

I’d go Mike White (1 or 2 year deal) vs. Zach Wilson for QB1

Sign Teddy 2 Gloves to be the number 3. There won’t be enough reps for a 3 player battle. Keep it between two guys and get a vet that is not looking to start but is an ok emergency starter and good in locker room. The 3rd QB could also be Strev. I haven’t seen him enough to know what he is.

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I would be ok with just keeping white and Wilson while drafting a kid in the 3/4 round to develop.

The offense should be much better heading into next year with hall and AVT back.

After reading your post, I prefer this instead. The 3rd QB spot should go to a rookie. Keep searching. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Minshew sees himself as a starter in the league. He‘s not coming here to “compete” with Zach Wilson, and it’d shake Zach to his gelatinous wimp core.

Where’s he headed then?  I have to imagine the path to starting here would be easier than just about any other destination.

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Where’s he headed then?  I have to imagine the path to starting here would be easier than just about any other destination.

I’m saying that if you bring in Minshew, you’re probably doing it as a starter. If Zach is as disliked in the locker room as rumored, Minshew is going to exacerbate that problem. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2022 at 9:59 AM, The Crusher said:

No, 6’1”! Another good not great guy just like Mike White right now. My point is dont see the difference keeping White and seeing if he can get better or getting Minshew. Seems like a relatively lateral move. Slight nod to Minshew maybe. 

Minshew can move out of the pocket when need be. 

On 12/16/2022 at 9:59 AM, The Crusher said:

No, 6’1”! Another good not great guy just like Mike White right now. My point is dont see the difference keeping White and seeing if he can get better or getting Minshew. Seems like a relatively lateral move. Slight nod to Minshew maybe. 

A good not great guy - are there great QBs that are free agents? 

I like Minshew for a lot of reasons.  He is mobile enough, not a runner but is mobile.  He is accurate and knows how to simply distribute the ball which is what this offense needs.  He has experience playing in the cold weather and has 10 1/8 inch hands which will allow him to be able to throw in the cold weather even if he doesnt have "elite arm strength".  He also is a gamer who will be fine in the locker room.  Bringing him in as the starter unless zach has some insane leap is the smartest move from a cap and team aspect.  We can then continue to draft QBs in the middle rounds to develop and hopefully hit on one of them. 

Looking at the AFC, I just dont think its the right move for JD to keep using high picks hoping to find a QB to compete with Allen, Mahomes and herbert.  He is better off with a QB like minshew who can operate the offense and then keep drafting playmakers and OL/DL to put around him.  

• Upvote 1

I’d re-sign Mike White and go with White and Zach. If Jets decide to disembark from Zach, Minshew would be a good signing. He won’t sign to be a number 3 he wants to start and if him vs White a decent chance to play in 2023 either by winning the job or as a backup via injuries. 

8 minutes ago, JiFields said:

True but I could see Minshew laughing at Zach as "competition".

Absolutely, but if we presume that Minshew would probably beat Zach out, then you’re stuck with Gardner Minshew as your starting QB and they should probably be aiming higher than that if they’re going to sidestep Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Absolutely, but if we presume that Minshew would probably beat Zach out, then you’re stuck with Gardner Minshew as your starting QB and they should probably be aiming higher than that if they’re going to sidestep Zach Wilson. 

Agreed but because of that reason, I dont see anyone going out to sign Minshew as a starter.  I understand why Jets fans like the idea of him but I highly doubt anyone is anywhere near bringing him as an unquestioned starter.  He's going to compete anywhere he goes, so from that perspective you could bring him as a fail safe if/when it's confirmed Zach is a bust, have him on a prove it type deal to where if it clicks, he's easy to retain and if not, you're drafting for the high ceiling.  There is no world that exists where Zach Wilson isnt firmly in the equation next year, so I'm not sure the optics would necessarily look like "side step" from Wilson.

• Upvote 1

Zach isn't going anywhere, they aren't giving up on him that easily.  Either he reinvents himself, or he validates himself as a bust by the end of next season.

The focus should be on what they do around him.  Mike White is a journeyman QB, he can't take them  to the next level.  He's gone.  Bringing in Jimmy G, Carr, or someone experienced to run a very good offense is the money move.

3 hours ago, JiFields said:

Agreed but because of that reason, I dont see anyone going out to sign Minshew as a starter.  I understand why Jets fans like the idea of him but I highly doubt anyone is anywhere near bringing him as an unquestioned starter.  He's going to compete anywhere he goes, so from that perspective you could bring him as a fail safe if/when it's confirmed Zach is a bust, have him on a prove it type deal to where if it clicks, he's easy to retain and if not, you're drafting for the high ceiling.  There is no world that exists where Zach Wilson isnt firmly in the equation next year, so I'm not sure the optics would necessarily look like "side step" from Wilson.

I think we learned with zach that there has to be competition so we wont be giving minshew anything.  

If Zach doesnt step up and produce the next 4 games, then id imagine minshew and his agent would look at zach's production to date along with his lack of leadership and feel very comfortable that someone with Minshew's personality traits and football skill would easily win the job here. 

• Sympathy 1

On 12/16/2022 at 9:22 AM, Zachtomims47 said:

Lol in what world is a run down aaron rodgers worth 2 first round picks? are they mad?

Not to mention picking up $100+million on his contract. 

not sure who exactly can absorb that cap hit…might make sense to say the 49ers who already have a great team etc, but the kicker is always the ‘cap’

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Supersonic said:

Zach isn't going anywhere, they aren't giving up on him that easily.  Either he reinvents himself, or he validates himself as a bust by the end of next season.

The focus should be on what they do around him.  Mike White is a journeyman QB, he can't take them  to the next level.  He's gone.  Bringing in Jimmy G, Carr, or someone experienced to run a very good offense is the money move.

Ahhh….I suppose 

but each of those three seem to have an inordinate amount of injuries. Maybe with all three here you could piece together a season lol

theyll sign White to a 3 yr low level starter deal and bring back Wilson. I have to hope they’re evaluating Streveler too…not sure he’s much different than Minshew anyway if you have him some reps. Not sure why he isn’t on our active day roster at this point …he’s played STs in AZ, has taken snaps in the NFL, could play wildcat, come in on 4th and 1s, fake punts…not sure why they don’t want some versatility on the roster. Berrios is what he is, but he’s damn small. Figure out a few plays for a gifted athlete for crying out loud. 

IMO the others on that list may be more cap wise than we’d be ready to gamble. To me, Garrapoli is White with more experience is all, so not sure signing him for a big contract is wise. Brady ain’t coming here. Rodgers cap hit and trade assets needed to obtain is cost prohibitive and precludes filling out a roster. Minshew ain’t coming here for a chance as the third guy for what he’s going to want…he’s on a good team in the perfect spot…backup QB. 

So, I’d bet Wilson, White, draft pick and possibly a Flacco level replacement…older, experienced NFL guy if any exist. JMO

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2022 at 10:30 AM, JiFields said:

When I think about a system, I think about the entire package.  What they're trying to do and the players they have to do it.  From the player perspective, the Ravens have failed to find and build personnel to execute their system.  Therefore, the offense sucks except for the fact they have Lamar Jackson, you goof.  I dont see why he couldnt come here and run the heavy RPO portion of the playbook and expand the run game play book. 

Exactly. The Ravens have theoretically designed a great offense for Lamar, but they haven't executed the talent part very well (aside from the OL which I believe is still good). 

There is no one on that free agent list that really moves the needle. 

I'm fine with White being resigned, but he's too often hurt for me to be comfortable with no other options. 

Zach is coming back because ..... cutting him doesn't make financial sense, looks bad for the franchise and they won't get anything of value in return for a trade. They will give him a chance to win the job next year, but I'm extremely confident that you won't ever see any significant improvement from him. 

Some potential release/cut/trade candidates I'd be interested in:

Jared Goff

Jordan Love

Carr

Geno. 

44 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Jared Goff - Even if they draft a QB noway Detroit gets rid of him with the year he’s having.

Jordan Love - Interested for about a 3rd rounder

Carr - Really depends on asking price in a trade but I think it’ll be too much 

Geno - Coming back to Earth now  a bit 

Why not making a run at Tom Brady for a year or two and see if Wilson can be ready by then or draft the heir?

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

I’d move Wilson if possible. 

Acquire Minshew.

Resign White.

Use a 2nd-3rd round draft pick on a QB.

That would be my three in 2023. 

Jets aren’t getting a sure thing in free agency or this coming draft.  And the cost to try would break this teams back and make it a one-year run anyway.

That wouldn't be bad, as I was shovel ling my walks earlier I was trying to think of a team that would want to trade for Wilson.  I came up with nothing.