Can the Jets still make the playoffs if they eliminate the bye?

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

hmmm, so @IndianaJetsays no because we lose the divisional tie-breaker to the Pats, but I didn't consider the Steelers losing. 

Either way, this has been weird season. Even if we are out of it no matter what, count me in as someone who wants to see an 8th playoff team in both conferences. Let's get wild!

Yep...ties are broken in the division first, so if Pats/Jets/Phins all end up tied at 8-9 they would break that tie for NE.

If the Steelers lose this week to the Browns - then both the Browns and the Steelers are 8-9.  The tie would then be broken between the Browns and Steelers and, per the ESPN Playoff Machine, the Browns actually win that tiebreaker (maybe they beat them twice this year - not 100% sure didn't go through the Browns record).

After they break the division ties, they would break the tie between the Browns and the Pats, which would go to the Pats since the Pats beat them head to head.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Right now saleh and MLF are huddled in the broom closet of florham park, freaking out b/c now they have to come up with another game plan.

Part of that plan might include seeing if they can get refunds on the beach cabana’s they rented

• Upvote 1

DISREGARD THE CONCLUSION HERE...THIS WOULD ONLY BREAK THE TIE FOR THE 7TH SEED...read my follow up post on page 2 for why I'm wrong....and why the Jets could end up the 8th seed.

To sum up my posts in multiple threads, the short answer to this question is no - the Jets cannot make the playoffs under any scenario because when multiple teams finish with the same record, ties are broken in the division first.

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures

To Break A Tie For The Wild-Card Team

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the three Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tiebreaker.
  2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Sooooo.....

If the Jets win and the Pats lose, Pats/Jets/Phins all end up 8-9 and Pats win the three way tiebreaker based upon head-to-head-to-head records, making them finish 2nd in the East.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after one-or-more clubs are eliminated during any step, tiebreaker restarts at Step 1 of two-club format. If three clubs remain tied after a fourth club is eliminated during any step, tiebreaker restarts at Step 1 of three-club format.)

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

If the Steelers also lose, then both the Steelers and Browns would also be 8-9.  The Browns win that tie breaker because they would be 2-0 vs. the Steelers - officially finishing 3rd in the NFC North.

The league would then break the tie between the 8-9 Pats and the 8-9 Browns.

Pats win that tie breaker because they beat the Browns head to head earlier this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

To sum up my posts in multiple threads, the short answer to this question is no - the Jets cannot make the playoffs under any scenario because when multiple teams finish with the same record, ties are broken in the division first.

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures

Sooooo.....

If the Jets win and the Pats lose, Pats/Jets/Phins all end up 8-9 and Pats win the three way tiebreaker based upon head-to-head-to-head records, making them finish 2nd in the East.

If the Steelers also lose, then both the Steelers and Browns would also be 8-9.  The Browns win that tie breaker because they would be 2-0 vs. the Steelers - officially finishing 3rd in the NFC North.

The league would then break the tie between the 8-9 Pats and the 8-9 Browns.

Pats win that tie breaker because they beat the Browns head to head earlier this year.

Nice breakdown but 41-3 Dolphins makes this irrelevant anyways. 

• Post of the Week 1