General Draft/Prospect news

Paradis

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets need a "meat and potatoes" draft like they did getting D'Brick and Mangold in the same year.  It set a foundation on offense for 10 years, let them find success with a young, mediocre QB like Sanchez for a while, and pop their heads up into contention and .500+ football with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  AVT is in year 3, Becton is boom/bust, everyone else is fodder.  Hitting OT, C with two of their first 3 picks would put a smile on my face.  The other pick could be anything of DL, WR, LB in my book.

If the Rodgers trade does not happen, could see them drop down to the 20’s to trade for draft assets next year.  Will give them an extra 2 in 2024 (or maybe even a 1) to consummate the trade without killing next year’s draft.  Could then see the center in the 20’s.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Would love to see a LB like Jack Campbell drafted. Maybe Drew Sanders is a better fit for our defense.

I like Campbell as a prospect, Sanders is fun too, and I’d have no issue with it if they absolutely loved one of those guys and decided they had to have them.

That said, it’s probably high second round capital which is really high for a linebacker these days. Maybe if they’re planning to cut Mosley to make other moves? Base defense is two linebackers, Quincy Williams is back, early second round seems rich for a third guy at a non premium position.

Linebackers just slide so much nowadays. The Lions got Malcolm Rodriguez who had a decent rookie year, tested well, and is built just like Quincy Williams in the sixth round last year. There will be fast athletes around later, I think they go that route for sure - just would expect it a little later. But again if they love a guy it’d be fine. Just don’t expect it.

6 minutes ago, derp said:

I like Campbell as a prospect, Sanders is fun too, and I’d have no issue with it if they absolutely loved one of those guys and decided they had to have them.

That said, it’s probably high second round capital which is really high for a linebacker these days. Maybe if they’re planning to cut Mosley to make other moves? Base defense is two linebackers, Quincy Williams is back, early second round seems rich for a third guy at a non premium position.

Linebackers just slide so much nowadays. The Lions got Malcolm Rodriguez who had a decent rookie year, tested well, and is built just like Quincy Williams in the sixth round last year. There will be fast athletes around later, I think they go that route for sure - just would expect it a little later. But again if they love a guy it’d be fine. Just don’t expect it.

this is true but depending on how good a guy like Sanders (my fav) is, he could make a real impact on a win now team to push them over that hump to be even better.  Enough to justify the pick.  Not to mention he would be and immediate starter on STs as well and could me a good impact there as well with his speed and tackling.

15 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

If the Rodgers trade does not happen, could see them drop down to the 20’s to trade for draft assets next year.  Will give them an extra 2 in 2024 (or maybe even a 1) to consummate the trade without killing next year’s draft.  Could then see the center in the 20’s.  

I listened to Josh Norris’ first mock last night - he had the most accurate mock of all time a couple years ago, he’s very thoughtful with how he does these. Weird one with a lot of trades.

Tackle class was interesting. He had Johnson off the board first (Titans), Wright second to the Jets (thought he fits what Douglas talks about in OL - I also wonder if he fits a little more with what Tennessee has had after their OL coach came in), Skoronski third (Bucs as a trade up to 14, try him at tackle and guard room if he fails), Harrison fourth as a surprise (Steelers), and Broderick Jones fifth (Chiefs trading up to 25).

It was also funny that his perspective on that, versus this board where we’re talking about what happens if 4 tackles go before 13, was that his scenario was an early run on tackles and had wide receivers sliding. 

I guess all that to say, interesting to step a little outside our bubble. His scenario could be way off, Broderick Jones could be OL1 and I wouldn’t blink. But if the Jets have OL clumped and/or like Anton Harrison as a developmental LT and the board falls where only Harrison is off the board, they could slide to the 20’s and get a tackle there instead of an iOL. Could also move down and then back up too once they’re down to one or two left on the board versus three or four.

The related piece was that he had JSN to the Packers, which is popular, and he does fit the Packers’ thresholds which is important. Some also like JSN to the Patriots. Board members have mentioned the Giants and Jets talking trade, possibly for JSN. Jets are probably a good landing spot for that, not too far to come up but ahead of a couple teams that might take him. Maybe 25 and 57 plus the Giants’ second next year swapped for the Jets’ third next year or something.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

this is true but depending on how good a guy like Sanders (my fav) is, he could make a real impact on a win now team to push them over that hump to be even better.  Enough to justify the pick.  Not to mention he would be and immediate starter on STs as well and could me a good impact there as well with his speed and tackling.

I think anyone who can play a rotational role can make an impact on less than half the snaps - they could do that on the DL or at WR too. Would just prefer it’s at a more premium position where you can’t fill it inexpensively in free agency or find pretty NFL ready guys day three. Better for trying to load up this roster and for long-term roster construction financially.

Linebacker is one of those funny spots where I think supply exceeds demand. Probably more than most positions, honestly.

Different if they got creative and had a plan to use him as a pass rusher, we just haven’t seen that from this coaching staff.

6 minutes ago, derp said:

Tackle class was interesting. He had Johnson off the board first (Titans), Wright second to the Jets (thought he fits what Douglas talks about in OL - I also wonder if he fits a little more with what Tennessee has had after their OL coach came in), Skoronski third (Bucs as a trade up to 14, try him at tackle and guard room if he fails), Harrison fourth as a surprise (Steelers), and Broderick Jones fifth (Chiefs trading up to 25).

Then Tenn. is making a run with Tannehill and looking to get a Hooker type Qb in rd. 2

Jets have an opportunity to trade down, they should take it. Value is in Rd. 2 -4. Really hoping Rodgers trade happens after the Draft. 
Was: (16, 97, 118) & Vikings (23, 87, 119 + ‘24 2nd) if QB Richardson makes it to #13… or Giants (25, 57, 89) if JSN is there, could set us up with 5 picks in top 89. OL, DT, C, WR, LB could all be address. 

It all depends on what top 10 talent drops.

2 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, derp said:

I think anyone who can play a rotational role can make an impact on less than half the snaps - they could do that on the DL or at WR too. Would just prefer it’s at a more premium position where you can’t fill it inexpensively in free agency or find pretty NFL ready guys day three. Better for trying to load up this roster and for long-term roster construction financially.

Linebacker is one of those funny spots where I think supply exceeds demand. Probably more than most positions, honestly.

Different if they got creative and had a plan to use him as a pass rusher, we just haven’t seen that from this coaching staff.

well for whatever reason the Jets never have success in 2nd round esp on WR and have not had success on DL since Gastineau so there is that

56 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

well for whatever reason the Jets never have success in 2nd round esp on WR and have not had success on DL since Gastineau so there is that

I get we think about it, but don’t think any team drafts based on their historical track record of having success in a given round.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, derp said:

Yeah, I know Colon isn’t a lock but I imagine it makes taking that extra young iOL a little less likely than if he wasn’t present. Seems like potentially a good player too. Obviously if they love a guy and he falls it doesn’t get in the way though.

The cynic in me thinks unless two tackles are the first OL to get hurt they want the first two OL off the bench to be Schweitzer and Colon (with AVT to tackle if only one is hurt) which is why they brought in two vets. Realistically also very feasible that they want a safety net in case a rookie isn’t up to speed immediately, plus depth. Could be either/both.

Don’t Ojulari and McDonald kind of tick a similar archetype to Nolan Smith? Smith would terrify me at 13 with the injury history although I could just see Saleh raving about the person in a post draft presser. But strike me as at least a little similar. I imagine they aren’t sure if they’ll re-sign Huff so an in house replacement plus a little depth and pop off the edge would be nice.

Agree Tuipulotu sliding could make sense. Good to have a feel for him if he does. Very odd profile, but think this scheme uses DL pretty well and could find a role for him if he falls to the right spot. 

On Colon: I think an ideal scenario would be to carry him on the PS. Also can’t predict what happens in TC/preseason with injuries and so on, but they definitely want to have someone on the practice squad that they can rely on as a call up if necessary. 

As far as Ojulari/McDonald/Smith: if the opportunity presents itself, they will look to select a LEO who can potentially replace Lawson (and/or Huff) next year and serve as a rotational reserve this year (think Vinny Curry role). Smith is probably going top 10. I would be shocked if they don’t select a T but wouldn’t rule him out at 13. Ojulari and McDonald are kind of pass rush only guys right now and need to improve as run defenders, so a reserve role could be good for them short-term. 

The other guy who they apparently like is Keion White. Doubt he falls to them in the 2nd but would think they’d run to the podium if he were still there

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

On Colon: I think an ideal scenario would be to carry him on the PS. Also can’t predict what happens in TC/preseason with injuries and so on, but they definitely want to have someone on the practice squad that they can rely on as a call up if necessary. 

As far as Ojulari/McDonald/Smith: if the opportunity presents itself, they will look to select a LEO who can potentially replace Lawson (and/or Huff) next year and serve as a rotational reserve this year (think Vinny Curry role). Smith is probably going top 10. I would be shocked if they don’t select a T but wouldn’t rule him out at 13. Ojulari and McDonald are kind of pass rush only guys right now and need to improve as run defenders, so a reserve role could be good for them short-term. 

The other guy who they apparently like is Keion White. Doubt he falls to them in the 2nd but would think they’d run to the podium if he were still there

Struggle in some ways to see how the top ten is going to shake out. I know there’s trepidation about tackles making it to 13 but between the quarterbacks, Gonzalez/Witherspoon, Anderson/Carter/Wilson, and the chance that guys like Smith, Van Ness, Murphy would be a surprise but I’ve seen speculation he goes surprisingly high, and of course Robinson there are a lot of opportunities for the tackles to get pushed down. Depending on how many they like and how many are there, if they’re clustered it could open up an opportunity to move down (and potentially back up). Harrison is a sneaky one if they move way down too. 

I like the idea of a guy who’s going to be pass rush heavy early in his career. Makes sense as a development trajectory to me, feel like for some it’s harder to be disciplined early downs and sometimes strength needs to be added. Lots of tweeners like White in this class they could use in multiple ways too.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

Struggle in some ways to see how the top ten is going to shake out. I know there’s trepidation about tackles making it to 13 but between the quarterbacks, Gonzalez/Witherspoon, Anderson/Carter/Wilson, and the chance that guys like Smith, Van Ness, Murphy would be a surprise but I’ve seen speculation he goes surprisingly high, and of course Robinson there are a lot of opportunities for the tackles to get pushed down. Depending on how many they like and how many are there, if they’re clustered it could open up an opportunity to move down (and potentially back up). Harrison is a sneaky one if they move way down too. 

I like the idea of a guy who’s going to be pass rush heavy early in his career. Makes sense as a development trajectory to me, feel like for some it’s harder to be disciplined early downs and sometimes strength needs to be added. Lots of tweeners like White in this class they could use in multiple ways too.

I personally rather the additional assets and pick the BPA at say 25, but doesn’t sound like they’re moving off 13. They only have first round grades on like 15 players. I think they’d have to be blown away, which means it may require a QB falling to them

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

I personally rather the additional assets and pick the BPA at say 25, but doesn’t sound like they’re moving off 13. They only have first round grades on like 15 players. I think they’d have to be blown away, which means it may require a QB falling to them

Wow, that’s half the round.  Very harsh.  Does this mean that if all the OTs are gone they’d take go BPA at 13 if it’s a DL?  

21 minutes ago, football guy said:

Will definitely be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I do think there’s a tier drop shortly after they pick, so even if they wanted to move down despite that (which admittedly would be a bit counterintuitive).

The flip side is if it’s 15 first round grades it’s very possible guys who they don’t have graded in the first go ahead of them. Should be a minimum of three on the board when they pick. If they’ve got five with first round grades left and Pitt offers 17 and 80 for example.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Wow, that’s half the round.  Very harsh.  Does this mean that if all the OTs are gone they’d take go BPA at 13 if it’s a DL?  

Definitely less than normal which is around 20-25. Not a very top heavy or deep draft but there will be a lot of value in rounds 2-5. As far as what they would do at 13 I believe so. The way I look at the top 12: 

• 4 QB (Young, Stroud, Levis, Richardson)
  • 3 DL (Anderson, Wilson, Carter)
  • 2 CB (Witherspoon, Gonzalez) 

If that happens, at least one of the top 4 OL falls to the Jets. Scenarios do exist where all 4 top OL go top 12 (likely meaning a CB or QB fall out), and in that scenario I’d expect a DL or trade down. But in all likelihood expect them to go OL

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

Definitely less than normal which is around 20-25. Not a very top heavy or deep draft but there will be a lot of value in rounds 2-5. As far as what they would do at 13 I believe so. The way I look at the top 12: 

• 4 QB (Young, Stroud, Levis, Richardson)
  • 3 DL (Anderson, Wilson, Carter)
  • 2 CB (Witherspoon, Gonzalez) 

If that happens, at least one of the top 4 OL falls to the Jets

So, is #4 Wright, Harrison, D. Jones or Torrence?

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

So, is #4 Wright, Harrison, D. Jones or Torrence?

Wright. I don’t know how they rank them yet but I would think Wright is above their 4th option. Anton Harrison has a lot of fans too. No clear slam dunk but some really nice traits prospects at the top, but considerable drop off after the 6th/7th tackle

• Upvote 2

I think what we do depends on if the Rodgers trade goes through.

If it does and we have only one 2ns round I could see us trading down from 13 if he right guy is not there.

If there is no Rodgers trade I think we will trade down with one of our 2nd rounders.

Some player always falls in the draft, every year so often 10 to mid teens is a good spot for teams to trade up to.

I'm less excited than usual about the Jets draft this year though.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

last two aren’t encouraging 

Weaknesses

Can be a little cautious as an inside runner.

Burst between the tackles is just average.

Can be a little inconsistent allowing blocks to develop.

Fumble woes will make him a target for defenses looking to punch the ball out.

Almost no pass-catching experience over three seasons.

• Haha 1

From Peter King this morning - 

• I will not be surprised if, in the Edge category, Tyree Wilson is picked ahead of Will Anderson. I particularly will not be surprised if Houston—whether at two or through a trade-down if the Texans don’t take a quarterback—takes Wilson over Anderson. “DeMeco Ryans could look at Wilson after his year in San Francisco and say, ‘I got my Nick Bosa,’” said someone in the league who knows Ryans.
  • One coach with a pick in the top 10: “Wilson will be a better pro than Anderson.”
  • I’m like you. I hear the Houston’s souring on Stroud stuff, and I just can’t believe the Texans wouldn’t take a quarterback high in this draft. How would Cal McNair answer to his disaffected season-ticketholders if, after passing on a quarterback with the third and 15th picks in the first round last year, he passes on a quarterback at number two this year? It’s the job of coaches to get the best out of players, and there’s certainly enough potential in C.J. Stroud—should he be there for Houston at two—for the Texans’ coaches to make a good NFL QB out of him.
  • An increasing number of people around the league think Jalen Carter has done enough in his visits to not sink like a stone on draft night. (More on Carter in my next section.) It’s become almost a cliché, how many team officials think the Seahawks will take Carter with the fifth overall pick.
  • Best rumor of the week: Steelers trading up from 17 to nine if Carter’s there. There could not be a more perfect coach for Carter than Mike Tomlin.
  • Carolina owner David Tepper has not been overbearing in the QB-search process. I can hear it now: You’re giving us a sanitized version of this to get on Tepper’s good side. Uh, I’ve never met the man. I could care less about buttering up David Tepper. I’m just telling you the real stuff.
  • Peter Skoronski’s an interesting case. The Northwestern tackle has the dreaded short-arm plague, and two teams in the top 10 see him now as a guard. So what? Guard Chris Lindstromgot drafted 14th by the Falcons in 2019, and he’s now a cornerstone player in Atlanta. Ditto Zack Martin (16th) in Dallas, and with a slightly smaller exclamation point, Quenton Nelson (sixth) in Indy. All got second contracts. If Skoronski’s a great guard, getting picked ninth or 12th or 15th is absolutely fine.
  • This is not an overriding negative on Jaxon Smith-Njigba, an excellent receiver prospect. But the Ohio State football season was five months long last year, including practice, and Smith-Njigba got a left hamstring injury early, and he played 60 snaps total in three games, and never got on the field in the last 10 weeks. He runs a 4.48 40-. I’m not the only one wondering: How is Jaxon Smith-Njigba the top-rated receiver on so many boards with 10 days to go?
  • This might sound crazy, but I’m not sure how many teams will be aggressive in trying to move up for C.J. Stroud if Bryce Young goes first to Carolina.

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

From Peter King this morning - 

• I will not be surprised if, in the Edge category, Tyree Wilson is picked ahead of Will Anderson. I particularly will not be surprised if Houston—whether at two or through a trade-down if the Texans don’t take a quarterback—takes Wilson over Anderson. “DeMeco Ryans could look at Wilson after his year in San Francisco and say, ‘I got my Nick Bosa,’” said someone in the league who knows Ryans.
  • One coach with a pick in the top 10: “Wilson will be a better pro than Anderson.”
  • I’m like you. I hear the Houston’s souring on Stroud stuff, and I just can’t believe the Texans wouldn’t take a quarterback high in this draft. How would Cal McNair answer to his disaffected season-ticketholders if, after passing on a quarterback with the third and 15th picks in the first round last year, he passes on a quarterback at number two this year? It’s the job of coaches to get the best out of players, and there’s certainly enough potential in C.J. Stroud—should he be there for Houston at two—for the Texans’ coaches to make a good NFL QB out of him.
  • An increasing number of people around the league think Jalen Carter has done enough in his visits to not sink like a stone on draft night. (More on Carter in my next section.) It’s become almost a cliché, how many team officials think the Seahawks will take Carter with the fifth overall pick.
  • Best rumor of the week: Steelers trading up from 17 to nine if Carter’s there. There could not be a more perfect coach for Carter than Mike Tomlin.
  • Carolina owner David Tepper has not been overbearing in the QB-search process. I can hear it now: You’re giving us a sanitized version of this to get on Tepper’s good side. Uh, I’ve never met the man. I could care less about buttering up David Tepper. I’m just telling you the real stuff.
  • Peter Skoronski’s an interesting case. The Northwestern tackle has the dreaded short-arm plague, and two teams in the top 10 see him now as a guard. So what? Guard Chris Lindstromgot drafted 14th by the Falcons in 2019, and he’s now a cornerstone player in Atlanta. Ditto Zack Martin (16th) in Dallas, and with a slightly smaller exclamation point, Quenton Nelson (sixth) in Indy. All got second contracts. If Skoronski’s a great guard, getting picked ninth or 12th or 15th is absolutely fine.
  • This is not an overriding negative on Jaxon Smith-Njigba, an excellent receiver prospect. But the Ohio State football season was five months long last year, including practice, and Smith-Njigba got a left hamstring injury early, and he played 60 snaps total in three games, and never got on the field in the last 10 weeks. He runs a 4.48 40-. I’m not the only one wondering: How is Jaxon Smith-Njigba the top-rated receiver on so many boards with 10 days to go?
  • This might sound crazy, but I’m not sure how many teams will be aggressive in trying to move up for C.J. Stroud if Bryce Young goes first to Carolina.

Aright - if CJ Stroud drops to 13...what are you doing?

11 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Aright - if CJ Stroud drops to 13...what are you doing?

I don’t think this happens. If it does it’s complicated because I presume this pisses off Rodgers. Depends on the state of negotiations, whether you think it’s going to get done, what you’re giving up/they’re asking for. In a vacuum, I’d absolutely take him - but certainly not a vacuum.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

Zierlein saying that he no longer thinks Houston will take a QB at 2 and that they are trying to get out of the pick. He hears its going to be hard to trade because teams don't covet Stroud the way the public thinks... 

Translation: chaos

Texans gonna go full tank for next years QBs. At worst, get a veteran next year. Demeco Ryans has seen Saleh fail with a young QB and Shanahan with Lance. He’s prob thinking…let’s not rush this. 

4 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Texans gonna go full tank for next years QBs. At worst, get a veteran next year. Demeco Ryans has seen Saleh fail with a young QB and Shanahan with Lance. He’s prob thinking…let’s not rush this. 

There are two legit ways to build your team for success, go get a QB and hope he survives until you build the team or build the team first.

Recent teams suggest build the team first is the way to go and then either draft your QB or go get a vet.

Most people cannot get over the thought that you MUST draft a guy high if you have the pick even if you do not love the players.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are two legit ways to build your team for success, go get a QB and hope he survives until you build the team or build the team first.

Recent teams suggest build the team first is the way to go and then either draft your QB or go get a vet.

Most people cannot get over the thought that you MUST draft a guy high if you have the pick even if you do not love the players.

I think you 100% build the team first, for several reasons.

#1, you can ruin a good young QB when there is no help, and he's getting pummeled.

#2, If you trade up for a young QB (Chicago) now you have less picks to build talent around him.

#3, The most valuable asset a team can have is a good young QB on a rookie deal.  If you draft the QB first, by the time the team is built around him, he is nearing the end of his rookie deal, and you have missed several years of the "cheap QB" window.

• Upvote 2

I disagree.  Getting a QB is not that ******* easy.;  You don't have a team and just snap your fingers and whoop there is a QB.  There are less legit QBs than teams.  You are constantly looking for them and when you find one you hang on like grim death.  Of course you constantly build the team too.  You can end up with the 2010 Jets with their sh*tty QB or the 2018/2021 Jets with their sh*tty team that made people think that their sh*tty QB might do well in other circumstances.  Neither is optimal.  I think you look for your middling guy for a floor - your Kyle Orton, Josh McCown, Alex Smith and draft the QBs that you like in the draft without locking yourself in with a big trade for a guy like Mariota, Goff, or presumably Lance.  

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think what we do depends on if the Rodgers trade goes through.

If it does and we have only one 2ns round I could see us trading down from 13 if he right guy is not there.

If there is no Rodgers trade I think we will trade down with one of our 2nd rounders.

Some player always falls in the draft, every year so often 10 to mid teens is a good spot for teams to trade up to.

I'm less excited than usual about the Jets draft this year though.

There is almost no doubt that a player the Jets have rated in their Top 10 becomes available at #13.  No idea who that would be but it just seems to happen every year that a couple guys drop for whatever reason.

And, to be more specific, it's not necessarily that "guys drop," but rather some team overdrafts a guy who shouldn't be taken until the 20's and that simply pushes everyone else down.

I actually like the #13 spot.  If there isn't someone there that the Jets love there will undoubtedly be someone there that a team behind them loves and is willing to trade up to get.

• Upvote 1