General Draft/Prospect news

Paradis

12 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

It definitely makes the evaluation process a little harder.  You can still go off of progressions, footwork, mechanics, and poise in different situations. 

I think Stroud fits what the panthers like for sure, in which case I think young would go 2 to houston.  After that its a crap shoot.  I think best case scenario is levis/ richardson are available at 13 and people try to move up with us for those guys.  That would be ideal. 

The Saints is an interesting team there because they are in a win now mode with Carr, even though they shouldnt be.  I coudl definitely see them being aggressive, and they have been before. 

Yeah, I think Trey Lance had the same issue, where he had guys that were just so much better that it didn't matter if he made bad decisions.  I would see like scissors concepts where the in route was wide open, and he'd go to outside route that was not only well covered, but a safety slanted to the side.  Yet, the guy just runs away from the defender like a beer league, where defenders just can't run.  

Yeah, I think it's Stroud/Young at this point, but I think Richardson goes top 5 or 6.  I don't see him dropping past the Seahawks.  I'm starting to see some insiders come out with the "Richardson is not as raw as we think guys, this guy does a lot of things right" articles, which usually indicate team sources being high on him.  Or some team in the top 5 is pumping air to build trade value.  Levis, I can see dropping to 13, because that's a pure tool scouting pick.  His 2022 tape was embarrassingly bad.  

Yeah, they tend to be irrationally aggressive for some reason.  Last year, it didn't make sense to give up a first to move up for Olave, as good as he was, when you were clearly rebuilding.  Their QB group sucked, yet they moved up like they were the Rams.  If Levis is on the board, I think that pick gets very interesting,  If Levis is there, I think the Bucs come into play as well.  Bowels has to be on the hot seat, team took a nose dive with him at the helm.  If he sucks for 2 years, and they want to rebuild, he's getting fired.  I could see them making a play for a QB, as I don't really trust Trask.   Assuming Lamar returns, Baltimore might be moving up if JSN is on the board to open up the offense a bit more. 

I hate the waiting part of draft season.   

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2023 at 1:49 PM, Chrebetfan80 said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that we wont be picking at 13.  A lot of the people I talk to have been getting the sense that trading down seems more and more likely. 

Credit where it is due... I know others on the board have hinted at this but I think its good intel based on what I have heard as well.  The Giants are particularly hot and heavy for JSN and looking to trade up.  I think this could be a deal to look at as a likely landing spot. 

Giants pick 25.  Not saying this trade will happen, just getting the sense talking to people that there is a lot of interest in 1) the Jets moving down and 2) the Giants moving up so im doing a little bit of projecting on my own part and connecting the dots from my own information to the exact trade scenario others here have posted. 

We've all been busy looking at prospects to draft at 13, might be time we shift gears and start looking at that mid 20's landing spot. 

If the Jets pick swap with GB, 15 = 25 + 57 exactly.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, I think Trey Lance had the same issue, where he had guys that were just so much better that it didn't matter if he made bad decisions.  I would see like scissors concepts where the in route was wide open, and he'd go to outside route that was not only well covered, but a safety slanted to the side.  Yet, the guy just runs away from the defender like a beer league, where defenders just can't run.  

Yeah, I think it's Stroud/Young at this point, but I think Richardson goes top 5 or 6.  I don't see him dropping past the Seahawks.  I'm starting to see some insiders come out with the "Richardson is not as raw as we think guys, this guy does a lot of things right" articles, which usually indicate team sources being high on him.  Or some team in the top 5 is pumping air to build trade value.  Levis, I can see dropping to 13, because that's a pure tool scouting pick.  His 2022 tape was embarrassingly bad.  

Yeah, they tend to be irrationally aggressive for some reason.  Last year, it didn't make sense to give up a first to move up for Olave, as good as he was, when you were clearly rebuilding.  Their QB group sucked, yet they moved up like they were the Rams.  If Levis is on the board, I think that pick gets very interesting,  If Levis is there, I think the Bucs come into play as well.  Bowels has to be on the hot seat, team took a nose dive with him at the helm.  If he sucks for 2 years, and they want to rebuild, he's getting fired.  I could see them making a play for a QB, as I don't really trust Trask.   Assuming Lamar returns, Baltimore might be moving up if JSN is on the board to open up the offense a bit more. 

I hate the waiting part of draft season.   

Interestingly enough, I had a talk with a buddy about Levis last night bringing up these trade scenarios.  I wouldnt count our chickens just yet..

He confirmed a ton of the news coming out about how Levis is bombing interviews.  I think one scout was quoted by chad forbes as saying "he's basically as mature as a high school kid". He's coming off as entitled and arrogant in interviews.  My guy said he's heard that no one would be surprised if he slipped all the way back to Rd 2 or further.  Not sure how true that is because beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it only takes 1 team to love him.  Just interesting to have all the reports backed up. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, section314 said:

This is exactly why you run, not walk, away from Carter. Multiple scouts have said he plays when he feels like it. Hard pass.

You can not afford to whiff at #13.  If a guy has motor issues before he gets paid, giving him a 4 year guaranteed contract will not help him going forward.

11 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You can not afford to whiff at #13.  If a guy has motor issues before he gets paid, giving him a 4 year guaranteed contract will not help him going forward.

Also, read some scouts reports that question if he loves football. We made that mistake in 2008 with someone who shall not be named.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Dinamite said:

What do you think is their ranking of OL (if picked at 13)?

I’ll have a better idea on how they rank them in a few weeks but just to talk it out…  I get the sense that Paris Johnson is the most complete prospect. He has all the traits they look for, he’s experienced, he’s versatile, and apparently phenomenal leadership qualities. Skoronski is similar and they clearly like him—comparing him to Elgton Jenkins is pretty lofty praise—but idk if they look at him as a G who can play T/C or a T who can play G/C. I don’t know what to believe yet about Broderick Jones. Tons of people outside the Jets love him as a prospect, just think that he needs refining. He has the traits we look for and he’s very similar to Ikem Ekwonu (would’ve been the pick if Houston took Sauce) in terms of his physical profile and style, but Ekwonu was much more natural as a run blocker and a little more polished whereas Jones is rather undeveloped there… it wouldn’t surprise me to see him go much higher than everyone expects (see Charles Cross, Andrew Thomas) or go in the 20s as a guy who teams feel has high upside but needs a little more time to develop (see Tyler Smith, Christian Darrisaw). I think Darnell Wright’s testing is opening eyes. He was a 5-star recruit that took a little while before settling in. He plays nasty and with a ton of power, he’s big, versatile, experienced, and is a stud in the run game. I think teams believe he can play either T spot and him playing RT was more of a team accommodation than an indictment on him (see Jedrick Wills, Tristan Wirfs). If you’re looking for prospect comparisons, he’s kind of like the Mekhi Becton of this class minus the otherworldly frame; he started getting a lot more attention when he blew up the combine and I think the same is happening with Wright. A lot of people want to see him do agility drills today and I know the Jets have a few important people attending.  

with allll that said, my gut: 

1. Johnson
2. Wright
3. Skoronski
4. Jones 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

I’ll have a better idea on how they rank them in a few weeks but just to talk it out…  I get the sense that Paris Johnson is the most complete prospect. He has all the traits they look for, he’s experienced, he’s versatile, and apparently phenomenal leadership qualities. Skoronski is similar and they clearly like him—comparing him to Elgton Jenkins is pretty lofty praise—but idk if they look at him as a G who can play T/C or a T who can play G/C. I don’t know what to believe yet about Broderick Jones. Tons of people outside the Jets love him as a prospect, just think that he needs refining. He has the traits we look for and he’s very similar to Ikem Ekwonu (would’ve been the pick if Houston took Sauce) in terms of his physical profile and style, but Ekwonu was much more natural as a run blocker and a little more polished whereas Jones is rather undeveloped there… it wouldn’t surprise me to see him go much higher than everyone expects (see Charles Cross, Andrew Thomas) or go in the 20s as a guy who teams feel has high upside but needs a little more time to develop (see Tyler Smith, Christian Darrisaw). I think Darnell Wright’s testing is opening eyes. He was a 5-star recruit that took a little while before settling in. He plays nasty and with a ton of power, he’s big, versatile, experienced, and is a stud in the run game. I think teams believe he can play either T spot and him playing RT was more of a team accommodation than an indictment on him (see Jedrick Wills, Tristan Wirfs). If you’re looking for prospect comparisons, he’s kind of like the Mekhi Becton of this class minus the otherworldly frame; he started getting a lot more attention when he blew up the combine and I think the same is happening with Wright. A lot of people want to see him do agility drills today and I know the Jets have a few important people attending.  

with allll that said, my gut: 

1. Johnson
2. Wright
3. Skoronski
4. Jones 

The only thing that worries me about Wright are his analytics. 

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/03/22/ny-jets-rank-ot-nfl-draft-stats/https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/03/22/ny-jets-rank-ot-nfl-draft-stats/https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/03/22/ny-jets-rank-ot-nfl-draft-stats/

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Interestingly enough, I had a talk with a buddy about Levis last night bringing up these trade scenarios.  I wouldnt count our chickens just yet..

He confirmed a ton of the news coming out about how Levis is bombing interviews.  I think one scout was quoted by chad forbes as saying "he's basically as mature as a high school kid". He's coming off as entitled and arrogant in interviews.  My guy said he's heard that no one would be surprised if he slipped all the way back to Rd 2 or further.  Not sure how true that is because beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it only takes 1 team to love him.  Just interesting to have all the reports backed up. 

I honestly didn't understand the Levis hype, because his calling card seemed to be this high potential guy, but his tape looks like a mid round pick.  For example, I have no idea why he would go ahead of Dorian-Thompson, and I think that kid is raw as a passer.  I tried to get into Levis, but he has very little awareness in the pocket, and I don't like his accuracy.  He has potential for sure, but I never understood the hype.  

Saw news that the Raiders have Carter off their board, so I'm assuming it's true for a bunch of teams if you are too risky for the Raiders.  I'm guessing he falls further than previously expected.  His post season fall is approaching Polite levels now, albeit he was much higher to start.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

A lot of the conclusions in here are based on PFF’s run blocking metric which weighed him down significantly versus the rest of the group. As they note, PFFs grading is incredibly subjective and don’t provide clear insight on what exactly the player is being asked to do on the play. Pass blocking is a little easier to evaluate for tackles because it’s typically 1 vs. 1… a 1.58% pressure rate (5th in FBS) and 3.88% pressure rate on true pass sets (15th in FBS) are extremely elite numbers. 

Personally, I like Broderick Jones. I think he has by far the most bend out of all of them and is clearly a flexible athlete. Wright tested better but Jones’ natural athleticism — body control, foot quickness, explosiveness — are most obvious with him IMO. If you’re taking a tackle with the luxury of knowing they may not have to start right away, I want the guy with the highest upside and I believe that to be Jones. His issues stem from lack of refinement and inconsistent mechanics but I don’t think there’s any question whether he has the natural strength, athleticism or mentality to be a very good T. I don’t know anything about the character or work ethic, but if he has it I don’t see why he can’t be what Andrew Thomas has become. May struggle a little early but will eventually figure it out. Whether or not the Jets see things the same way I’m not sure of yet. I can’t imagine they will be thrilled with how raw he is and there’s no indications that suggest he’s a versatile player, but we will know soon enough

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

A lot of the conclusions in here are based on PFF’s run blocking metric which weighed him down significantly versus the rest of the group. As they note, PFFs grading is incredibly subjective and don’t provide clear insight on what exactly the player is being asked to do on the play. Pass blocking is a little easier to evaluate for tackles because it’s typically 1 vs. 1… a 1.58% pressure rate (5th in FBS) and 3.88% pressure rate on true pass sets (15th in FBS) are extremely elite numbers. 

Personally, I like Broderick Jones. I think he has by far the most bend out of all of them and is clearly a flexible athlete. Wright tested better but Jones’ natural athleticism — body control, foot quickness, explosiveness — are most obvious with him IMO. If you’re taking a tackle with the luxury of knowing they may not have to start right away, I want the guy with the highest upside and I believe that to be Jones. His issues stem from lack of refinement and inconsistent mechanics but I don’t think there’s any question whether he has the natural strength, athleticism or mentality to be a very good T. I don’t know anything about the character or work ethic, but if he has it I don’t see why he can’t be what Andrew Thomas has become. May struggle a little early but will eventually figure it out. Whether or not the Jets see things the same way I’m not sure of yet. I can’t imagine they will be thrilled with how raw he is and there’s no indications that suggest he’s a versatile player, but we will know soon enough

In fairness, Jones is a better athlete than Thomas.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:55 AM, maury77 said:

I know OL is a huge need for the Jets but if they stay at 13, are they really better off selecting Skoronski/Johnson/Jones/Wright over Jalen Carter (if he drops) or Clancey? Theoretically, there is a scenario where Mitchell or Becton have a good year and Brown plays better after being healthy. Jets have no one next to Quinnen right now and I think Carter (definitely) and Clancey (maybe) are better prospects than the OL that will be there. 

I was wrong about Clancey. He’s a legit option. Still expecting them to go OT but sounds like they see him as a fit at LDT

• Upvote 2

On 3/27/2023 at 9:10 AM, T0mShane said:

Who do you guys use for your draft analysis? It seems like, especially this year, Draft Twitter is terrible, and even the “pros” have gone mealy-mouthed about everyone. The only guy I’ve heard or read that’s providing anything of substance is Dane Brugler. 

The guys on here were better than what I read before the draft last year.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Heard all of the same things about Levis as well.   He is going to be 24 years old in a couple months so this behavior should be concerning.  I personally wouldn’t touch Levis before the 3rd round.   Aside from the behavior stuff I just don’t think he possesses the skill set to be a successful QB in the NFL.   There isn’t much fluidity or smoothness in his game, his footwork seems robotic and he doesn’t throw with any touch or finesse.   

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Heard all of the same things about Levis as well.   He is going to be 24 years old in a couple months so this behavior should be concerning.  I personally wouldn’t touch Levis before the 3rd round.   Aside from the behavior stuff I just don’t think he possesses the skill set to be a successful QB in the NFL.   There isn’t much fluidity or smoothness in his game, his footwork seems robotic and he doesn’t throw with any touch or finesse.   

yea aside from him being jacked and having a strong arm, there doesnt seem to be much to point to on his film that makes you feel confident about taking the kid.  Now couple in the fact that he has clear maturity issues, just not what youre looking for out of the most important position in football.  Perhaps 3rd rd will be good for him, knock him down a peg or two. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, win4ever said:

I honestly didn't understand the Levis hype, because his calling card seemed to be this high potential guy, but his tape looks like a mid round pick.  For example, I have no idea why he would go ahead of Dorian-Thompson, and I think that kid is raw as a passer.  I tried to get into Levis, but he has very little awareness in the pocket, and I don't like his accuracy.  He has potential for sure, but I never understood the hype.  

Saw news that the Raiders have Carter off their board, so I'm assuming it's true for a bunch of teams if you are too risky for the Raiders.  I'm guessing he falls further than previously expected.  His post season fall is approaching Polite levels now, albeit he was much higher to start.  

I think the evaluations are catching up to him now for sure.  I think he falls, and based on everything I hear he will. 

Sounds like carter is going to fall but I think he ends up staying in the first round.  One of these high level teams in the 30s can afford to take a chance on his talent. 

Think it was Lance Zierlein on Brugler’s podcast who was talking about how he was putting four quarterbacks in the top ten (which has happened before) but he went back and watched Levis and Richardson and realized neither had round one tape. I’d love to see Levis go before 13 (or at 13 in a trade down) just to push someone else to the Jets, but I’ve never really seen it with him so as long as they stay away I’ll be happy.

On a different note, Richardson is even odds with Will Anderson to go #3 now (or maybe even better odds some spots). Guessing folks figure someone would make the move up to secure him especially a couple teams close in range that have a need. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, derp said:

Think it was Lance Zierlein on Brugler’s podcast who was talking about how he was putting four quarterbacks in the top ten (which has happened before) but he went back and watched Levis and Richardson and realized neither had round one tape. I’d love to see Levis go before 13 (or at 13 in a trade down) just to push someone else to the Jets, but I’ve never really seen it with him so as long as they stay away I’ll be happy.

On a different note, Richardson is even odds with Will Anderson to go #3 now (or maybe even better odds some spots). Guessing folks figure someone would make the move up to secure him especially a couple teams close in range that have a need. 

Any QB that goes early just pushes another quality prospect down a notch to the Jets, so I hope 12 go in the first 12 picks.

(I don't really see that happening though)

You'd have to think GMs are going to start to realize that a LOT of the recent first rounders are struggling, especially when they are over drafted and told to start day 1.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think the evaluations are catching up to him now for sure.  I think he falls, and based on everything I hear he will. 

Sounds like carter is going to fall but I think he ends up staying in the first round.  One of these high level teams in the 30s can afford to take a chance on his talent. 

Yeah, Levis is someone that definitely needs to sit for a year, and I just don't think the upside is nearly high enough to take that shot top 5.  

I can sort of seeing the Pats take him to be honest, Belichek needs talent, and he can shield the media to a good extent (if I remember correctly, they took a shot on Haynesworth, as well as Moss and others with character concerns).  

10 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, Levis is someone that definitely needs to sit for a year, and I just don't think the upside is nearly high enough to take that shot top 5.  

I can sort of seeing the Pats take him to be honest, Belichek needs talent, and he can shield the media to a good extent (if I remember correctly, they took a shot on Haynesworth, as well as Moss and others with character concerns).  

that wouldnt be a bad marriage honestly.  He's a high talent player, but obviously his game needs a lot of work and may never materialize due to his shortcomings.  They have 2 guys there already they like, he can sit and get beaten into maturity by bellicheck and o brien for a while.  It would make sense. 

The only issue is i think they already have that type of guy in Zappe.  Obviously zappe doesnt have the character concerns and shortcomings of Levis, but he's already shown he can play a little bit.  Wouldnt surprise me if he beats out mac jones in camp this year either. 

2 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

that wouldnt be a bad marriage honestly.  He's a high talent player, but obviously his game needs a lot of work and may never materialize due to his shortcomings.  They have 2 guys there already they like, he can sit and get beaten into maturity by bellicheck and o brien for a while.  It would make sense. 

The only issue is i think they already have that type of guy in Zappe.  Obviously zappe doesnt have the character concerns and shortcomings of Levis, but he's already shown he can play a little bit.  Wouldnt surprise me if he beats out mac jones in camp this year either. 

I think Bill is desperate for that high end type talent that he can possibly mold.  The issue with someone like Jones/Zappe is that a significant portion of the deep field playbook can't be consistently utilized because they aren't good at off-base deep throws.  They need to be schemed open, whereas a guy like Levis has the arm to make those throws.  

I'm not a big believer in Zappe, because I just don't like his arm.  If he had even an average arm, I thought he could be good, but it's limited.  He played Browns/Detroit/Chicago, with the latter two being horrible in defense.  I don't think either of them satisfy BOB, I think they are in the QB market in this draft.  I'm intrigued by Dorian-Thompson to them too, because I heard rumors that Bill loves a QB that can run, with a big arm.  He's raw as you get in terms of passing, but the arm is there, leg is certainly there, and you sit him for a year behind Jones/Zappe.  

52 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think Bill is desperate for that high end type talent that he can possibly mold.  The issue with someone like Jones/Zappe is that a significant portion of the deep field playbook can't be consistently utilized because they aren't good at off-base deep throws.  They need to be schemed open, whereas a guy like Levis has the arm to make those throws.  

I'm not a big believer in Zappe, because I just don't like his arm.  If he had even an average arm, I thought he could be good, but it's limited.  He played Browns/Detroit/Chicago, with the latter two being horrible in defense.  I don't think either of them satisfy BOB, I think they are in the QB market in this draft.  I'm intrigued by Dorian-Thompson to them too, because I heard rumors that Bill loves a QB that can run, with a big arm.  He's raw as you get in terms of passing, but the arm is there, leg is certainly there, and you sit him for a year behind Jones/Zappe.  

It would be interesting to see how they play the draft this year.  Got to figure Bellicheck only has so many seasons left, he's already 70.  Adding a developmental QB i just wonder if its in the cards for someone like him who may not be around long enough to see the fruits of his labor. But then again does he even care? I'm not sure someone like him thinks like that even.  

I do agree with your assessment though, both QB's are limited in what they can accomplish in a vertical passing offense, things need to be schemed up for them and they are best off play action.  So it would make sense that they would want someone with a bigger arm that can make off schedule throws and open up the offense.  Pulling the trigger on someone in this draft would be a pretty damning admission they are uncomfortable with Mac Jones. Which some may say maybe isnt too damning because he was greatly exposed last year anyway.  I'll be interesting to see which way they go because the story lines either way will be telling. 

On 3/29/2023 at 2:28 PM, football guy said:

The biggest debate internally is a matter of balancing short-term and long-term approaches. A scenario exists where Becton plays well this year, but there's a strong chance he's not brought back regardless... if he plays to the level he's capable of, he'll price himself out of our plans. Duane Brown is likely done after his contract expires regardless if he's a starter or a reserve, so they could wind up pinning themselves into a corner all over again in 2024, even if Max Mitchell shows significant development and worthy of being a starter. For this reason, the tentative "plan" is to add a blue-chip asset who could be a long-term tackle, but that was the case last year too... Sauce falling to 4 changed the plan. Could Carter or another defender do the same this year? Very possible. 

Having been said, I think the Jets are open to a few scenarios depending on how things shake out: 

• OL/T in round 1 + OL/C in round 2 + sign multiple FA DL
  • OL/T in round 1 + DL in round 2 + competition at C/sign Ben Jones 
  • DL at 13 + OL/T in round 2 (Freeland) + competition at C/sign C Ben Jones
  • DL at 13 + OL/C in round 2

The top 2 are most likely outcomes IMO. I think they wind up signing a few DL to compete but could be swayed into selecting someone like Mazi Smith, Tuli Tuipulotu, Adetomiwa Adebawore, Bryan Bresee, Keion White, or Gervon Dexter on day 2. As much as I like Calijah Kancey he'd be an extreme luxury at 13; he's perfect in the Solomon Thomas role as a sub-package 3-tech rusher but not a "starter" in the base defense. He'd be asked to line up a lot over the tackle which I'm not so sure he'll be able to do with his lack of length. If they take a DL in round 1 I think it would be because Carter falling into the Jets lap at 13 or someone like Tyree Wilson falling and forcing their hand, in which case they can figure it out by reassigning some of the roles (i.e. using JFM and Clemons inside more frequently). 

nobody knows what they will do but I am now a Njigba fan.  You take him an dont look back.  It could be considered luxury but he will get a lot of playing time year 1 where as OT may not... OT can wait, plus you get the ball out fast enough with play-makers you then do not need a 1st round OL at each position of the line.  OL can wait for later rounds, FA, and next year.

Also im big fan on Kancey but would not take him 13th - however - they could go for broke here and trade back up into 1st round and get him on 5 year deal.

8 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

It would be interesting to see how they play the draft this year.  Got to figure Bellicheck only has so many seasons left, he's already 70.  Adding a developmental QB i just wonder if its in the cards for someone like him who may not be around long enough to see the fruits of his labor. But then again does he even care? I'm not sure someone like him thinks like that even.  

I do agree with your assessment though, both QB's are limited in what they can accomplish in a vertical passing offense, things need to be schemed up for them and they are best off play action.  So it would make sense that they would want someone with a bigger arm that can make off schedule throws and open up the offense.  Pulling the trigger on someone in this draft would be a pretty damning admission they are uncomfortable with Mac Jones. Which some may say maybe isnt too damning because he was greatly exposed last year anyway.  I'll be interesting to see which way they go because the story lines either way will be telling. 

I feel like the only real motivation for Belichek is to win one without Brady, so that his career isn't tied to him.  He's still an amazing coach, but his GM picks have been atrocious.  His issue is basically going to be that he's too good to get his team to tank, and nothing worthwhile comes on the FA market for QBs.  I think he has to go for a high upside project and try to turn that guy around.  

I think part of the problem with Jones stemmed from teams catching up to his scouting report and Belichek can't really scheme things open without a stud WR option.  I think they have to be high on JSN as well, some guy that can make those intermediate catches consistently, and then build the offense around it.  I thought they would be in on a Winston type, and see if they could coach the mistakes out.  I think they're in on the OBJ/Hopkins market too, because that offense is bland without a stud WR.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, win4ever said:

I feel like the only real motivation for Belichek is to win one without Brady, so that his career isn't tied to him.  He's still an amazing coach, but his GM picks have been atrocious.  His issue is basically going to be that he's too good to get his team to tank, and nothing worthwhile comes on the FA market for QBs.  I think he has to go for a high upside project and try to turn that guy around.  

I think part of the problem with Jones stemmed from teams catching up to his scouting report and Belichek can't really scheme things open without a stud WR option.  I think they have to be high on JSN as well, some guy that can make those intermediate catches consistently, and then build the offense around it.  I thought they would be in on a Winston type, and see if they could coach the mistakes out.  I think they're in on the OBJ/Hopkins market too, because that offense is bland without a stud WR.  

I hear what youre saying, I just have a hard time believing they're going to go in on another QB this season.  I think they give this combo another year with a real OC and then go from there.  Plus next year fixes to be a much better QB draft.  

Speaking of WR.  Ive been talking to some guys in the college market during my clinic time and a name that was mentioned a few times to me as a later round guy to be interested in was Grant DuBose.  He was at the senior bowl, did alright, and nothing really will pop out to you in terms of his physical specs but he fits what we want to do pretty perfectly.  6'2 200, 4.5 speed, and GREAT at getting open on inbreaking routes.  I dove into the film the last few weeks. Slants, Digs, Posts the dude just knows how to use his body to shield defenders and make a competitive catch.  The parts of his game were the parts I loved about Rashee Rice' game.  I think this is a lower round guy that can really add something to the back end of the WR roster and then eventually develop into a very nice player.  He's going to be a tough, physical, wr who knows how to set up defenders, get open, make tough catches and will be an asset in the Redzone.  

As of now, if we are going to go a guy in the later rounds to round out the offense, I think he's a nice nice fit. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

nobody knows what they will do but I am now a Njigba fan.  You take him an dont look back.  It could be considered luxury but he will get a lot of playing time year 1 where as OT may not... OT can wait, plus you get the ball out fast enough with play-makers you then do not need a 1st round OL at each position of the line.  OL can wait for later rounds, FA, and next year.

Also im big fan on Kancey but would not take him 13th - however - they could go for broke here and trade back up into 1st round and get him on 5 year deal.

I'm no expert on this stuff but I've heard some people who are talk about how talented JSN is.  When I think about drafting OL, I think about how Cincy took JaMarr Chase instead of Penei Sewell and how well that worked out for them.  OTOH, I look at Detroit, with that terrific OL, and we see how they're starting to rise up the ranks as well.  In any case, I'm confident in JD's evaluations.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm no expert on this stuff but I've heard some people who are talk about how talented JSN is.  When I think about drafting OL, I think about how Cincy took JaMarr Chase instead of Penei Sewell and how well that worked out for them.  OTOH, I look at Detroit, with that terrific OL, and we see how they're starting to rise up the ranks as well.  In any case, I'm confident in JD's evaluations.

I think the big thing that both Cincy and Detroit did was hit on their picks. Cincy’s gone big on OL in FA, Detroit hit a home run with St. Brown and traded up in the first for Jameson Williams.

To that end, JSN seems like a really safe prospect because he’s good at the stuff WR’s need to do at the professional level. And WR is a premium position. I’d feel better about him contributing than any of the OL. Would feel great about Skoronski if they had a guard spot but that seems to be full for the time being.

Doesn’t mean JSN is the right pick but I think the best approach early is keeping it simple with guys at premium positions. Just take the WR, OT, DL, or CB you feel the best about and can get on the field early. Then obviously if QB is a long term need and you love a guy you take him.

Think RB, TE, iOL, LB, and S should largely stay outside the first, with some exceptions of course. Cheap enough to find in FA and lots of the special players at those positions get picked outside the first. Better to just stock up there.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

The Jets aren’t going to take JSN. I’m willing to put money on that one

• Upvote 1