General Draft/Prospect news

Paradis

On 4/15/2023 at 7:35 AM, football guy said:

For those keeping track at home, among the Jets top 30 visits completed or scheduled: 

1. OL Peter Skoronski (round 1) 
  2. OL Paris Johnson Jr. (1) 
  3. OL Darnell Wright (1) 
  4. OT Broderick Jones (1) 
  5. OT Anton Harrison (1-2) 
  6. DE BJ Ojulari (1-2) 
  7. OL Joe Tippmann (1-2) 
  8. C John Michael Schmitz (2)
  9. DL Tuli Tuipulotu (round 2-3) 
  10. TE Luke Musgrave (2-3) 
  11. LB Daiyan Henley (2-3)
  12. WR Trey Palmer (2-3) 
  13. OT Tyler Steen (2-4) 
  14. C Rocky Stromberg (3-4) 
  15. TE Luke Schoonmaker (3-5) 
  16. RB Zach Evans (3-5)
  17. RB DeWayne McBride (3-5) 
  18. OL Chandler Zavala (3-5) 
  19. RB Keaton Mitchell (4-6) 
  20. DL Brodric Martin (4-6)
  21. S Jason Taylor II (5-UDFA) 
  22. QB Aidan O’Connell (5-UDFA) 
  23. DL Scott Matlock (5-UDFA) 
  24. DL Desjuan Johnson (6-UDFA)
  25. CB Jarrick Bernard-Converse (6-UDFA) 
  26. WR Xavier Gipson (6-UDFA)

There’s a few more that I‘m missing but by my count that’s 10 OL (mostly round 1-2 prospects), 5 DL, 3 RB, 2 TE, 2 DB, 2 WR, 1 QB, 1 LB 

Some of the more high profile prospects who visited the Local Pro Day: TE Brenton Strange (round 2-4), C Luke Wypler (2-4), DB Ji’Ayir Brown (2-4), DE Andre Carter II (2-4), WR Andrei Iosivas (round 3-5)

How do you think the Jets are looking at their TE position right now?  Both in terms of starters and depth.

Conklin and Uzomah seem like decent veterans but mostly hold-the-fort type guys.  Yeboah still seems to be a project.  Do they see a future for Ruckert (taken Round 3 last year)? It was disappointing that he couldn't earn more playing time last year.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

McGinn released his stuff on golongTD. You have to pay but you can cancel. Only stuff worth reading. Edit actually just receivers and tight ends today but a new position group gets released daily now 

Boilerplate stuff from oversaturated draft twitter might be the worst cottage industry going now 

I like McGinn alot. That old-school beat-the-bushes style of journalism is dead now, but I miss it. Waldman is good too, but I can’t give a guy $20 when I know my team is going to draft OT3.

Draft Twitter was always stupid as sh*t, but now those kids who were on draft Twitter five years ago are employed by ESPN and The Ringer, and it’s absolutely poisoned the water supply. I do not know why we gain by Mina Kimes interviewing Bill Barnwell interviewing Danny Kelly interviewing Matt Miller interviewing Mina Kimes interviewing Todd McShay in a doom loop of braindead, vapid echo chamber nonsense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I like McGinn alot. That old-school beat-the-bushes style of journalism is dead now, but I miss it. Waldman is good too, but I can’t give a guy $20 when I know my team is going to draft OT3.

Draft Twitter was always stupid as sh*t, but now those kids who were on draft Twitter five years ago are employed by ESPN and The Ringer, and it’s absolutely poisoned the water supply. I do not know why we gain by Mina Kimes interviewing Bill Barnwell interviewing Danny Kelly interviewing Matt Miller interviewing Mina Kimes interviewing Todd McShay in a doom loop of braindead, vapid echo chamber nonsense. 

“Prospect doesn’t love football”

draft twitter:

7A9941B0-C9A3-4830-A6EA-F4E9D1BA8731.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The same people that were falling over themselves saying stroud was #1 and for sure #2 are now looking for anything to justify tossing him down the list.

And you guys laughed at me yesterday when I predicted Hooker will be 2nd QB off the board.?

• Upvote 2

Paris Johnson had the last crack at making an impression today and it sounds like he was fantastic as expected. He gives off a lot of D’Brick vibes personality-wise. 

Final board is expected to be set Friday. I personally think the order is Johnson, Wright, Skoronski, Jones (hoping he’s higher- my personal favorite) but will find out soon

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

How do you think the Jets are looking at their TE position right now?  Both in terms of starters and depth.

Conklin and Uzomah seem like decent veterans but mostly hold-the-fort type guys.  Yeboah still seems to be a project.  Do they see a future for Ruckert (taken Round 3 last year)? It was disappointing that he couldn't earn more playing time last year.

I know the coaching staff and front office value the TE position tremendously. Expect a true rotation this year with 4, possibly even 5, guys contributing. It’s a position that typically takes longer for young players to develop, so I think they would consider drafting one with the understanding that whoever they were to select would have a short-term reserve role/long-term starter role (hopefully). 

Ruckert is looked at as CJ Uzomah’s direct backup at Y-TE so if you’re trying to figure out what kind of TE the Jets could take, look for guys that project as F-TE (move TE like Conklin). By the time those guys are FAs the hope is that their direct replacements are already on the roster. 

If a very good TE fell into round 2 I wouldn’t rule it out but more likely expecting someone in rounds 4-5

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, football guy said:

Paris Johnson had the last crack at making an impression today and it sounds like he was fantastic as expected. He gives off a lot of D’Brick vibes personality-wise. 

Final board is expected to be set Friday. I personally think the order is Johnson, Wright, Skoronski, Jones (hoping he’s higher- my personal favorite) but will find out soon

All this for him to be taken off the board before we pick lol.

I think Jones and Wright will be available for us, but who knows

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

I personally think the order is Johnson, Wright, Skoronski, Jones (hoping he’s higher- my personal favorite) but will find out soon

Would rather us avoid all 4 guys.

Johnson lacks the experience as a T. Not really strong at all and gets anchored by undersized collegiate DE in the run game garnering no push. Definitely a movement guy. 

Skoronski is said to be an interior guy due to measurements. Won't touch that topic and I don't know the correlation of measurements being linked to success/bust rate when it comes to tackles. But he can very well be the next Brandon Scherff or Robert Gallery.

Jones shows good movement skills attacking the 2nd level on the pin-pull plays. But there isn't a huge gap between him and those possibly going late or early 2nd.

Wright to me is the safest T but should be off our draft board due to scheme. There were no OTs.

Two 2nd round guys I like are Dawand Jones and Blake Freeland. Both guys were graded as 90+ blockers in zone blocking and the film back that up. Tall 6'8 guys who we should take a chance on. 

1. PARIS JOHNSON, Ohio State (6-6 ½, 311, no 40, 1): Third-year junior. Hardly played in 2020, started at RG in 2021 and at LT in 2022. He replaced Nicholas Petit-Frere, a third-round pick by the Titans. “He’s a physical freak,” one scout said. “He is a great kid, too. He’s more talented than (Peter) Skoronski. Maybe not the football player that Skoronski is now but Johnson has a higher ceiling.” Extremely long arms (36 1/8 inches), small hands (9 ½). “He’s got all of the physical traits,” said a second scout. “He’s got really good character. He doesn’t have unique stopping power (compared to past leading prospects). Needs to get stronger.” His score of 26 on the Wonderlic test was the highest of the top four tackles. “He is so up and down,” a third scout said. “It’s all there but there’s no consistency. Needs to play stronger and more physical. He pushes. Soft hands. If you can get through to him he certainly has the size and long arms.” A fourth scout insisted that Petit-Frere manned the position better in 2021 than Johnson did in ’22. “I don’t see it with this guy,” a fifth scout said. “Decent athlete, nothing special. Technique is off. He falls off a lot of stuff. Just real hit or miss. Just a work in progress. Unlike (Broderick) Jones, who has tons of natural athletic ability, I see this dude as just an average sort of talent. He’s not (real tough). He's not impressive.” From Cincinnati.

BRODERICK JONES, Georgia (6-5 ½, 313, 4.94, 1): Like Johnson, he was a 5-star recruit. “Damn good athlete,” one scout said. “He’s just still raw and green. Got a lot of technical (bleep) to clean up and he doesn’t finish plays, but he’s a really good foot athlete. He’s got some bad habits. … Sisters raised him with his mom in Atlanta. He’s a good kid.” Played two games as a true freshman in 2020, filled in for injured LT Jamaree Salyer (four starts) in 2021 and started all 15 games at LT for the national champs in 2022. “This guy is ultra-athletic,” said a second scout. “But he’s raw as can be, and very inconsistent. It’s all about, when you interview him, to see what’s inside him and if he will develop. He has developmental movement and feet but his hands are all over the place. He gets caught off-guard with anticipation and vision. Falls off a lot. Looks like he has 36-inch arms (actually 34 ¾) and keeps them down by his side. C’mon. He’s just so far away. It’s all the assumption that he’s this great athlete. Someone will be disappointed.” Wonderlic of 12. “You’re taking a little bit of risk on the kid,” said a third scout. “He’s got some immaturity to him. Like a lot of these Georgia guys, a lot of talent but maybe not the greatest football character. He’s athletic and he’s strong and he shows he can be mean. It’s just are you going to get it out of him? Is he going to be a pro?” From Lithonia, Ga.

3. DARNELL WRIGHT, Tennessee (6-5 ½, 333, 5.01, 1-2): Another 5-star recruit, this time from Huntington, W.Va. “He is a talented underachiever,” said one scout. “Not great football character. You could hit on him. If he has an epiphany and becomes a pro, he’s got a sh*tload of talent.” Started 42 of 47 games over four seasons, including 27 at RT, 13 at LT and two at RG. “There’s a lot of entitlement with this kid but did he shut out (Alabama’s) Will Anderson,” another scout said. “Absolutely. If you want to like him that’s the tape you point to and say, ‘This guy’s a starting left or right tackle. Case closed.’ But when you dig into it, he’s never been much of a worker. Barely does enough to get by. Not super cooperative. Hard work is not in his vocabulary. Just does enough … But he has absolutely helped himself. Had a good Senior Bowl. Had a good combine. He’s probably been clean enough in the interviews that somebody would say, ‘Hey, we’ll work with him.’ I think he could flame out pretty quick because he’s not a worker. It might not be as easy as he thinks it’s going to be in the league.” So-so arm length (33 ¾), tiny hands (9). “Pro Bowl-caliber player,” a third scout said. “Looked a lot more comfortable on the right side. Really strong hands. Aggressive, can move people in the run game. Hard to beat in pass pro because he’s good with his set. You can’t run through him because he’s strong.” Wonderlic of 18. “He’s got character but he’s talented,” a fourth scout said. “He’s just got poor football character. Lazy, but he blocked Alabama, he blocked Georgia like it was nothing.”

4. ANTON HARRISON, Oklahoma (6-4 ½, 316, 4.99, 1-2): Third-year junior. “Not gifted athletically but he plays with balance and has enough movement,” said one scout. “Guys that really know how to play, they’re going to make it and they last and they play well. The hand use, the punch, he’s patient, the vision. He does all that little stuff that you say, ‘Wow. This guy really knows how to play.’ Not elite with his feet and movement and athletic ability, but good enough in all those areas.” Backup in 2020 before starting 24 games at LT in 2021-’22. “It might take him a year or two but the ceiling is very high for him,” a second scout said. “Maybe he hasn’t played up to his talent level but I would be optimistic he’ll get there. The character’s fine. The work ethic? Same. It’s certainly not ideal. I think he’s relied upon his athleticism and gotten away with that.” Arms were 34 1/8, hands were small (9 ¼). Wonderlic of 19. “He’s not a consistent finisher and his technique can be a little inconsistent,” said a third scout. “But he’s got good feet and quick hands. Plays a little bit high sometimes.” From Washington. “Do you see the foot agility? Sure, but that is it,” a fourth scout said. “I thought he was just underdeveloped … ordinary. Is he a get-in-the-way pass protector? Yes, against lousy rushers in the Big 12. I think when he’s playing real bonafide NFL football he’s going to struggle big time if he’s put on that field this year. He’s a little bit undersized for tackle. He’s not powerful enough to play on the right side. I would be leery of him.”

5. MATT BERGERON, Syracuse (6-5, 317, no 40, 1-2): From Victoriaville, Quebec (Canada). “Mentally, he could play all five spots,” one scout said. “He’s an acquired taste, though. Pretty good athlete. Probably better moving inside but he could play tackle in a pinch.” Started five games at RT in 2019 as a true freshman before moving to LT in 2020-’22. “He’s a starter Year 1,” said a second scout. “Really nice feet, really good athlete. He’s got the girth and is square enough to play guard but he’s also got enough length (33 ¾ arms) to play out there on the edge with his feet. He goes in the top 50 and he starts next year.” His Wonderlic score of 27 paced the top 10 tackles. “I think he’s an All-Pro guard in the making,” said a third scout. “He’s got unbelievable prick in him. He has more upside than (Peter) Skoronski.” A 3-star recruit. “He just doesn’t play strong at all,” a fourth scout said. “The lack of length kind of shows up. He doesn’t sustain any blocks. In pass pro you can tell he has decent feet but just not a nimble, quick-footed guy. Misses his punch way too much, which is when his short arms show up. If you move him to guard I don’t know if he’s got the grit in there. You can see he has some ability but a disappointing player. Fourth round for me.”

6. DAWAND JONES, Ohio State (6-8, 374, 5.36, 2): Biggest man in the draft. “He’s so enormous and I love watching him play,” one scout said.  “I was scouting the other guy, Paris Johnson, but I couldn’t take my eyes off Dawand. Some absolutely love him and some think he’s absolutely no good. It’s a strange thing. He does have some character issues.” Started just one of 15 games from 2019-’20 before starting 25 games at RT from 2021-’22. “He has just dominating strength,” a second scout said. “He’s a big guy that actually plays big. His bend for his size is amazing. He’s got great feet. He’s crazy long. His hand use is really good. He’s light on his feet. His punch is ridiculous. He’s really similar to the best Mekhi Becton played in college (at Louisville) but he’s more dominant. You can see the basketball player in him.” Fielded mid-level Division I basketball offers after a top-notch career on the court for Ben Davis High School in Indianapolis. “I think he likes basketball more than he likes football,” said a third scout. “I don’t know if he really likes football.” Arms (36 3/8) and hands (11 5/8) were the longest at the combine. His Wonderlic score of 11 was the lowest of the top 12 tackles. “He just wins with his size,” said a fourth scout. “He does stay on his feet for the most part but reaching guys, adjusting, space, slide, all that, he just struggles to do that. How much of that will transfer? Zach Banner was so big and had those limitations, too, and he just kind of bounced around.” Made a terrible post-Day 1 impression at the Senior Bowl and then at pro day. His weight of 374 at the combine didn’t thrill scouts, either. “He was listed at 359 (in the fall),” a fifth scout said. “That (374) scares me. When a guy gains weight before the combine that shows you how much pride he has. Next thing you know he’s going to be 400.”

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

1. PARIS JOHNSON, Ohio State (6-6 ½, 311, no 40, 1): Third-year junior. Hardly played in 2020, started at RG in 2021 and at LT in 2022. He replaced Nicholas Petit-Frere, a third-round pick by the Titans. “He’s a physical freak,” one scout said. “He is a great kid, too. He’s more talented than (Peter) Skoronski. Maybe not the football player that Skoronski is now but Johnson has a higher ceiling.” Extremely long arms (36 1/8 inches), small hands (9 ½). “He’s got all of the physical traits,” said a second scout. “He’s got really good character. He doesn’t have unique stopping power (compared to past leading prospects). Needs to get stronger.” His score of 26 on the Wonderlic test was the highest of the top four tackles. “He is so up and down,” a third scout said. “It’s all there but there’s no consistency. Needs to play stronger and more physical. He pushes. Soft hands. If you can get through to him he certainly has the size and long arms.” A fourth scout insisted that Petit-Frere manned the position better in 2021 than Johnson did in ’22. “I don’t see it with this guy,” a fifth scout said. “Decent athlete, nothing special. Technique is off. He falls off a lot of stuff. Just real hit or miss. Just a work in progress. Unlike (Broderick) Jones, who has tons of natural athletic ability, I see this dude as just an average sort of talent. He’s not (real tough). He's not impressive.” From Cincinnati.

BRODERICK JONES, Georgia (6-5 ½, 313, 4.94, 1): Like Johnson, he was a 5-star recruit. “Damn good athlete,” one scout said. “He’s just still raw and green. Got a lot of technical (bleep) to clean up and he doesn’t finish plays, but he’s a really good foot athlete. He’s got some bad habits. … Sisters raised him with his mom in Atlanta. He’s a good kid.” Played two games as a true freshman in 2020, filled in for injured LT Jamaree Salyer (four starts) in 2021 and started all 15 games at LT for the national champs in 2022. “This guy is ultra-athletic,” said a second scout. “But he’s raw as can be, and very inconsistent. It’s all about, when you interview him, to see what’s inside him and if he will develop. He has developmental movement and feet but his hands are all over the place. He gets caught off-guard with anticipation and vision. Falls off a lot. Looks like he has 36-inch arms (actually 34 ¾) and keeps them down by his side. C’mon. He’s just so far away. It’s all the assumption that he’s this great athlete. Someone will be disappointed.” Wonderlic of 12. “You’re taking a little bit of risk on the kid,” said a third scout. “He’s got some immaturity to him. Like a lot of these Georgia guys, a lot of talent but maybe not the greatest football character. He’s athletic and he’s strong and he shows he can be mean. It’s just are you going to get it out of him? Is he going to be a pro?” From Lithonia, Ga.

3. DARNELL WRIGHT, Tennessee (6-5 ½, 333, 5.01, 1-2): Another 5-star recruit, this time from Huntington, W.Va. “He is a talented underachiever,” said one scout. “Not great football character. You could hit on him. If he has an epiphany and becomes a pro, he’s got a sh*tload of talent.” Started 42 of 47 games over four seasons, including 27 at RT, 13 at LT and two at RG. “There’s a lot of entitlement with this kid but did he shut out (Alabama’s) Will Anderson,” another scout said. “Absolutely. If you want to like him that’s the tape you point to and say, ‘This guy’s a starting left or right tackle. Case closed.’ But when you dig into it, he’s never been much of a worker. Barely does enough to get by. Not super cooperative. Hard work is not in his vocabulary. Just does enough … But he has absolutely helped himself. Had a good Senior Bowl. Had a good combine. He’s probably been clean enough in the interviews that somebody would say, ‘Hey, we’ll work with him.’ I think he could flame out pretty quick because he’s not a worker. It might not be as easy as he thinks it’s going to be in the league.” So-so arm length (33 ¾), tiny hands (9). “Pro Bowl-caliber player,” a third scout said. “Looked a lot more comfortable on the right side. Really strong hands. Aggressive, can move people in the run game. Hard to beat in pass pro because he’s good with his set. You can’t run through him because he’s strong.” Wonderlic of 18. “He’s got character but he’s talented,” a fourth scout said. “He’s just got poor football character. Lazy, but he blocked Alabama, he blocked Georgia like it was nothing.”

4. ANTON HARRISON, Oklahoma (6-4 ½, 316, 4.99, 1-2): Third-year junior. “Not gifted athletically but he plays with balance and has enough movement,” said one scout. “Guys that really know how to play, they’re going to make it and they last and they play well. The hand use, the punch, he’s patient, the vision. He does all that little stuff that you say, ‘Wow. This guy really knows how to play.’ Not elite with his feet and movement and athletic ability, but good enough in all those areas.” Backup in 2020 before starting 24 games at LT in 2021-’22. “It might take him a year or two but the ceiling is very high for him,” a second scout said. “Maybe he hasn’t played up to his talent level but I would be optimistic he’ll get there. The character’s fine. The work ethic? Same. It’s certainly not ideal. I think he’s relied upon his athleticism and gotten away with that.” Arms were 34 1/8, hands were small (9 ¼). Wonderlic of 19. “He’s not a consistent finisher and his technique can be a little inconsistent,” said a third scout. “But he’s got good feet and quick hands. Plays a little bit high sometimes.” From Washington. “Do you see the foot agility? Sure, but that is it,” a fourth scout said. “I thought he was just underdeveloped … ordinary. Is he a get-in-the-way pass protector? Yes, against lousy rushers in the Big 12. I think when he’s playing real bonafide NFL football he’s going to struggle big time if he’s put on that field this year. He’s a little bit undersized for tackle. He’s not powerful enough to play on the right side. I would be leery of him.”

5. MATT BERGERON, Syracuse (6-5, 317, no 40, 1-2): From Victoriaville, Quebec (Canada). “Mentally, he could play all five spots,” one scout said. “He’s an acquired taste, though. Pretty good athlete. Probably better moving inside but he could play tackle in a pinch.” Started five games at RT in 2019 as a true freshman before moving to LT in 2020-’22. “He’s a starter Year 1,” said a second scout. “Really nice feet, really good athlete. He’s got the girth and is square enough to play guard but he’s also got enough length (33 ¾ arms) to play out there on the edge with his feet. He goes in the top 50 and he starts next year.” His Wonderlic score of 27 paced the top 10 tackles. “I think he’s an All-Pro guard in the making,” said a third scout. “He’s got unbelievable prick in him. He has more upside than (Peter) Skoronski.” A 3-star recruit. “He just doesn’t play strong at all,” a fourth scout said. “The lack of length kind of shows up. He doesn’t sustain any blocks. In pass pro you can tell he has decent feet but just not a nimble, quick-footed guy. Misses his punch way too much, which is when his short arms show up. If you move him to guard I don’t know if he’s got the grit in there. You can see he has some ability but a disappointing player. Fourth round for me.”

6. DAWAND JONES, Ohio State (6-8, 374, 5.36, 2): Biggest man in the draft. “He’s so enormous and I love watching him play,” one scout said.  “I was scouting the other guy, Paris Johnson, but I couldn’t take my eyes off Dawand. Some absolutely love him and some think he’s absolutely no good. It’s a strange thing. He does have some character issues.” Started just one of 15 games from 2019-’20 before starting 25 games at RT from 2021-’22. “He has just dominating strength,” a second scout said. “He’s a big guy that actually plays big. His bend for his size is amazing. He’s got great feet. He’s crazy long. His hand use is really good. He’s light on his feet. His punch is ridiculous. He’s really similar to the best Mekhi Becton played in college (at Louisville) but he’s more dominant. You can see the basketball player in him.” Fielded mid-level Division I basketball offers after a top-notch career on the court for Ben Davis High School in Indianapolis. “I think he likes basketball more than he likes football,” said a third scout. “I don’t know if he really likes football.” Arms (36 3/8) and hands (11 5/8) were the longest at the combine. His Wonderlic score of 11 was the lowest of the top 12 tackles. “He just wins with his size,” said a fourth scout. “He does stay on his feet for the most part but reaching guys, adjusting, space, slide, all that, he just struggles to do that. How much of that will transfer? Zach Banner was so big and had those limitations, too, and he just kind of bounced around.” Made a terrible post-Day 1 impression at the Senior Bowl and then at pro day. His weight of 374 at the combine didn’t thrill scouts, either. “He was listed at 359 (in the fall),” a fifth scout said. “That (374) scares me. When a guy gains weight before the combine that shows you how much pride he has. Next thing you know he’s going to be 400.”

I know these things can be brutally honest, but woof. I was hoping to read this and be more excited about the prospect of them going tackle at 13. Just kind of reinforced some of my concerns and added others.

8 minutes ago, derp said:

I know these things can be brutally honest, but woof. I was hoping to read this and be more excited about the prospect of them going tackle at 13. Just kind of reinforced some of my concerns and added others.

Tougher than I thought! I thought these guys were all fairly clean. 

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If the stuff about his character is true, I would anticipate him being lower in the OL pecking order. They have a first round grade on him, but they gave Johnson and Jones high character grades… Jets are in a unique position where they can bet on traits and character because a rookie does not necessarily have to start—if they do it’s because they won a job or someone got injured—so hypothetically speaking they could be given time to develop at their own pace. Wright has been described as a mean OL with a nasty streak but had nothing on his character 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Tougher than I thought! I thought these guys were all fairly clean. 

I’ve kind of been banging the three guys who need development, a guy who was better at RT and we don’t know if he developed or was more comfortable there, and a guy who likely projects at guard drum. This - obviously not to be taken as absolute fact, but an interesting group of opinions - kind reinforced that.

An important piece of context for all of these guys is that to get the best 5 on the field they need to beat out veteran Duane Brown and fourth year Mekhi Becton to be more than depth - so it’s not going to be easy to walk into a job. Which is fine, but noteworthy when you’re considering why you’d take someone so early. I’d think you’d want pretty big upside and a person you feel really good about to redshirt a guy at 13.

I know tackle depth and long term projection is a need but I just struggle to see why one of these guys is who they need to add at 13. Johnson sure makes sense. Rest, I dunno. Risk/reward just seems off to me.

Maybe the problem is just that this class as a whole isn’t great - if this is the back end of the round one grades then they’re mostly really late round one types and my expectations are out of whack for what you’re looking for at 13. That’s probably it, honestly.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

All these guys are major downgrades from Becton. But Bergeron, sounds like a keeper as a G. Trade back, take Bergeron late 1st and a C with one of our 2’s.

If they can trade back and get a 1st next year, that would be great.  They would still be able to beef up the OL.  The thing is, based on how few 1st round graded players there are, they’d really want to trade back a bit bc why draft a guy at 20 that you can get at 30?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

All these guys are major downgrades from Becton. But Bergeron, sounds like a keeper as a G. Trade back, take Bergeron late 1st and a C with one of our 2’s.

I took Bergeron with an early 3rd in the JN mock.  He was the pick I probably feel the least good about.  I think he translates okay as a tackle.  I don't think he reads as particularly mean.  He is more a footwork guy than a leverage/strength guy and I think he will be more scheme specific than most, particularly at guard.  I can't see taking him late 1st to play guard.  I also wouldn't expect to draft him as a guard without at least trying him at tackle - which is what I would expect teams to do with Skoronski.  Like Brandon Scherff.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, derp said:

One note on this: the top four guys are all under 22 years old. Maturity/physical development issues are to be expected

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

One note on this: the top four guys are all under 22 years old. Maturity/physical development issues are to be expected

Eh. Obviously tackles need to improve physically, I've got no issue with that - though I think power is power to an extent and you're not going to take a guy who needs to add strength and see him turn into a road grader.

It's more the maturity and technique stuff. The top tackle prospects are usually pretty sharp dudes, the guys who go early typically go early because teams want to play them right away so they're not that technically raw, and the Jets wouldn't have a need at tackle if the guy they took 11 overall a few years ago wasn't a 350-400 pound mountain of a question mark because of maturity issues. 

Especially if you're taking a guy who isn't already excellent, he's going to need to have pretty great character to potentially sit his rookie year, take his lumps, learn from veterans, and hit that ceiling - right? I don't know if you listened to the podcast with Schwartz and Newhouse talking about OL development but to be at a position where you're really supposed to pitch shutouts and there's a ton of technical work that needs to be done to be at your best you need to be mentally tough and work at your craft.

I think there's also a distinction between being open to taking one of these guys and being locked into taking one of these guys, if that makes sense. One thing to say hey we've got an open mind to going and grabbing one of these tackles, another to being committed to it if this is the group.

I still think fitting Skoronski takes too many if's to make sense. If the Wright stuff work ethic stuff is true, I don't know how they take him. Jones depends on what they think of the person, how committed he is and how he'd develop for a year. I'd get liking Johnson, probably a good bet to be a mid level tackle and not get you in trouble, but I presume he's off the board. So it's just hard for me to understand a commitment to taking one of these guys.

But this class also is kind of weak in general so I'm sure that plays into it.

• Upvote 1