General Draft/Prospect news

Paradis

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Some draft scuttlebutt/smoke screen szn stuff that’s making its way around the internet and podcast space:

1. Panthers: Rumor has it that Tepper put his finger on the scale and Bryce Young will be the pick at #1, despite McCown preferring Stroud. 

2. Texans: The two guys who know the Texans the best—Zierlein and John McCain—are insisting that the Texans are going to bypass QB in this spot. Zeirlein has them taking Tyree Wilson, McClain has them taking Will Anderson. However, it looks like Demeco Ryans has pushed Nick Caserio out (he’s leaving immediately after the draft and they’re hiring the Niners assistant GM), so we could see some surprises here. They haven’t had Richardson in for a top 30 or any type of visit, but that could change with news that Caserio is out. Would Ryans want to repeat the gamble San Fran took on Trey Lance?

3. Cardinals: If Stroud is available here, the phone will be a-ringing. Colts are supposedly in love with Levis, so they won’t be coming up, and it remains unclear that Richardson is in much demand outside of the lunatic confines of Draft Twitter. Stroud allegedly was put off by McDaniels and the Raiders aggressive interview tactics, so that might not be a great match. One team to watch for this pick: The Titans. Vrabel is an OSU alum and personally attended Stroud’s Pro Day, same as he did for Levis, Young, and Hooker. The one QB pro day Vrabel passed on? Richardson’s. 

4. Colts: Sounds like this will be Levis. Draft media has portrayed Levis as an idiot clown, but Levis was recruited by several Ivy League schools before deciding to go to Penn State. 

5. Seahawks: Schneider and Carroll could get weird with this pick, but the betting favorite is Jalen Carter, who might be melting down after the fatal car wreck he was involved in. 

6. Lions: pretty much a lock for Devon Witherspoon after the Okudah trade. 

7. Raiders: Could be a Richardson landing spot, but who knows with McDaniels, who is on borrowed time there as it is. 

8. Falcons: Supposedly they’re going to give Ridder a clear runway to take the starting QB job, but the Falcons have met with Richardson a few times already. Another place where the coach is on borrowed time. Has been a rumored landing spot for Bijan Robinson. 

9. Bears: Possible JSN spot to reunite with Fields, but there’s a desperate need for OL help, and Skoronski grew up outside Chicago. 

10. Eagles: Another rumored Bijan spot, but Roseman is probably going with another DL. Could be a sneaky spot for Broderick Jones, considering Lane Johnson’s age an injuries. 

11. Titans: Probably trading up for a QB. 

12. Texans: Could be the Hendon Hooker landing spot if they pass on QB at 2.

13. Jets: Everyone, to a man, has the Jets picking whichever tackle drops to them. Jeremiah had them picking Nolan Smith here a few weeks ago, but he has since reverted. 

So, Jets will be drafting JSN then?

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

3. Cardinals: If Stroud is available here, the phone will be a-ringing. Colts are supposedly in love with Levis, so they won’t be coming up, and it remains unclear that Richardson is in much demand outside of the lunatic confines of Draft Twitter. Stroud allegedly was put off by McDaniels and the Raiders aggressive interview tactics, so that might not be a great match. One team to watch for this pick: The Titans. Vrabel is an OSU alum and personally attended Stroud’s Pro Day, same as he did for Levis, Young, and Hooker. The one QB pro day Vrabel passed on? Richardson’s. 

Good stuff. One thing I'll say about this: Vrabel attended a few of these pro days to take a close look at the OL as well... Paris Johnson OSU, Darnell Wright TENN, Tyler Steen BAMA. He also kept a close eye on Broderick Jones at the Georgia pro day. I do think that they are in on the QBs so not throwing cold water on it, I just don't know if they will move up to 3 for one as has become popularly speculated. They have needs all over the place and I don't know that they're ready to mortgage their future to move up and select a QB considering how quickly the talent around the QB can depreciate on them (Derrick Henry is 29, the offensive line is suspect at best, and they have virtually no talent behind Treylon Burks). In many ways Tennessee is in a similar position we are with the OL, albeit worse. I think they look at Dillard kind of the way we did George Fant when we signed him: a ton of room for him to reach his ceiling and he will likely be their starting LT this year. Dillon Radunz experiment hasn't gone great and he tore his ACL in December... Petit-Frere has potential but he's no shoe-in starter... Aaron Brewer and Daniel Brunskill are probably fill 2 spots on the OL whether it be starting at C/G or G/T... cupboard is bare after that. They need to fill at least one G/T starting spot, even if you assume best case scenario for the above-mentioned players. I can see them moving up a few spots, but I'm not buying the top 3 speculation. I think the speculation lives and dies with Monti Ossenfort connection.  

Things are going to change daily, but there's a legitimate chance the draft starts:

1. CAR: QB Bryce Young 
  2. HOU: DE Will Anderson 
  3. ARI: DE Tyree Wilson (or top defensive player)
  4. IND: QB CJ Stroud/Will Levis 

One thing about IND: they do not care about public perception. I personally believe that Stroud is a much safer QB than Levis, and if I was me I would take him in this spot. I trust him in Steichen's offense more than Levis or Richardson. But I wouldn't put it past them to take Levis anyway. I love Richardson but I want to see him thrive, and I don't see that for him in IND. Would love to see him land in the NFC on a team where he can sit and develop like Seattle. 

As far as Arizona: they're linked to all the defenders but if they move down they could select a tackle. The teams that should be looked atas "threats" to draft/move up or down for an OL aside from the Jets: Arizona, Chicago, Philadelphia, Tennessee, New England, Pittsburgh. Vegas is a wildcard because they need interior help + could use an upgrade at RT. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Good stuff. One thing I'll say about this: Vrabel attended a few of these pro days to take a close look at the OL as well... Paris Johnson OSU, Darnell Wright TENN, Tyler Steen BAMA. He also kept a close eye on Broderick Jones at the Georgia pro day. I do think that they are in on the QBs so not throwing cold water on it, I just don't know if they will move up to 3 for one as has become popularly speculated. They have needs all over the place and I don't know that they're ready to mortgage their future to move up and select a QB considering how quickly the talent around the QB can depreciate on them (Derrick Henry is 29, the offensive line is suspect at best, and they have virtually no talent behind Treylon Burks). In many ways Tennessee is in a similar position we are with the OL, albeit worse. I think they look at Dillard kind of the way we did George Fant when we signed him: a ton of room for him to reach his ceiling and he will likely be their starting LT this year. Dillon Radunz experiment hasn't gone great and he tore his ACL in December... Petit-Frere has potential but he's no shoe-in starter... Aaron Brewer and Daniel Brunskill are probably fill 2 spots on the OL whether it be starting at C/G or G/T... cupboard is bare after that. They need to fill at least one G/T starting spot, even if you assume best case scenario for the above-mentioned players. I can see them moving up a few spots, but I'm not buying the top 3 speculation. I think the speculation lives and dies with Monti Ossenfort connection.  

Things are going to change daily, but there's a legitimate chance the draft starts:

One thing about IND: they do not care about public perception. I personally believe that Stroud is a much safer QB than Levis, and if I was me I would take him in this spot. I trust him in Steichen's offense more than Levis or Richardson. But I wouldn't put it past them to take Levis anyway. I love Richardson but I want to see him thrive, and I don't see that for him in IND. Would love to see him land in the NFC on a team where he can sit and develop like Seattle. 

As far as Arizona: they're linked to all the defenders but if they move down they could select a tackle. The teams that should be looked atas "threats" to draft/move up or down for an OL aside from the Jets: Arizona, Chicago, Philadelphia, Tennessee, New England, Pittsburgh. Vegas is a wildcard because they need interior help + could use an upgrade at RT. 

For much of the offseason I had heard a great deal from people that IND was extremely hot for stroud.  Now its quite possible since the draft and pro days that has cooled and Levis is indeed someone they really want.  I do start to wonder though at the timing of the news with Levis.  Seems to be picking up steam just as news is coming out Houston may not want a QB and Arizona is looking to trade out.  Is this a smoke screen to get teams to not trade ahead of them for stroud thinking they're safe?  This time of year anything is possible. 

• Upvote 3

Also good stuff. I’ve been surprised by how much smoke there is around the Titans moving up for a QB, because they’re one of those teams well-situated to do a soft tank and be in position for Maye or Williams next year, and they’re still holding on to Tannehill (for now). I’d rather tank and go for gold than try and shoehorn Stroud into a bad situation this year. But what you said makes sense—that it’s just the Ossenfort connection fueling the rumors. 

I'm not saying you are wrong about Indianapolis, but IMO it would be asinine to take Levis over Stroud. 

• Post of the Week 2

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I just picked him in the jenation mock.  Didn;t do anything at Georgia, then went to tulsa i think and then Arkansas where he had decent numbers but not earth shattering.  Size and speed though is enticing 6'4" 4.37 40.  Would need to be a light switch  guy where he got the right coaching and things suddenly clicked.  Kansas City has been talking to him it seems so if he is good enough for Andy Reids crew...

Thanks.  Yeah, he kinda reminded me a bit of Robby Anderson as I was trying to look at like end of the draft/UDFA type guys.  I don't like his release, but I like his ability to separate down the field.  

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Greaat size, speed, athletic profile.  Interviews will likely be critical for him.  He seemed to be a pretty immature kid, at least when he was at Georgia.  Skipped classes, was not very responsive to coaching.  Nothing terrible, no legal issues that I am aware of.  Just needed to grow up a bit.  And sometimes immature 18-20 year olds can turn into mature adults.  High celing, but also a low floor.  Don't think he played much on Special teams either at Arkansas or Georgia, which is usually a 5th/6th WRs route to a roster.

Yeah, I'm not sure how he fits.  I was looking at him before the OBJ news, because I assumed Wilson/Lazard/OBJ/Hardman/Mims meant the 6th guy was going to be like an end of the draft lottery pick.  At this point, I think we might be on the Dell/Reed train, because they can play special teams.  I would love any of Downs/Dell/Reed at this point.   

I do like his speed though, I'm always dreaming on these size/speed guys, but doesn't really fit the team needs.  I can't wait to see how this draft falls, because I don't have a good grip on how it's falling.  Usually have a good idea by now, maybe I'm just getting too old lol.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'm not saying you are wrong about Indianapolis, but IMO it would be asinine to take Levis over Stroud. 

I think they take Stroud if he's there. But there's been a bunch of rumors out there regarding teams that have Levis over Stroud. I don't agree with it but take it for what it's worth 

With the uncertainty around the QB class this year I think about the year that the Jaguars took Blake Bortles #3 out of absolutely nowhere. I think there are a ton of long-term QB needs lurking around the top ten. Don't expect them all to go QB, but I bet we get a surprise or two. Still hope it's Detroit and Richardson.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

So I could be wrong, but Levis 100% has traits over ability written all over him. No idea what people see in him personally as a 1st round pick because he looks pretty underwhelming from what I've seen.

But also, would be the epitome of hilarity of they finally take a QB after putting off the decision for years and end up taking a complete dud.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

So I could be wrong, but Levis 100% has traits over ability written all over him. No idea what people see in him personally as a 1st round pick because he looks pretty underwhelming from what I've seen.

But also, would be the epitome of hilarity of they finally take a QB after putting off the decision for years and end up taking a complete dud.

I think the difference is that Levis has shown the ability to function in an NFL style offense and under duress and Stroud played at Ohio State. There’s less projection with Levis.

For those keeping track at home, among the Jets top 30 visits completed or scheduled: 

1. OL Peter Skoronski (round 1) 
  2. OL Paris Johnson Jr. (1) 
  3. OL Darnell Wright (1) 
  4. OT Broderick Jones (1) 
  5. OT Anton Harrison (1-2) 
  6. DE BJ Ojulari (1-2) 
  7. OL Joe Tippmann (1-2) 
  8. C John Michael Schmitz (2)
  9. DL Tuli Tuipulotu (round 2-3) 
  10. TE Luke Musgrave (2-3) 
  11. LB Daiyan Henley (2-3)
  12. WR Trey Palmer (2-3) 
  13. OT Tyler Steen (2-4) 
  14. C Rocky Stromberg (3-4) 
  15. TE Luke Schoonmaker (3-5) 
  16. RB Zach Evans (3-5)
  17. RB DeWayne McBride (3-5) 
  18. OL Chandler Zavala (3-5) 
  19. RB Keaton Mitchell (4-6) 
  20. DL Brodric Martin (4-6)
  21. S Jason Taylor II (5-UDFA) 
  22. QB Aidan O’Connell (5-UDFA) 
  23. DL Scott Matlock (5-UDFA) 
  24. DL Desjuan Johnson (6-UDFA)
  25. CB Jarrick Bernard-Converse (6-UDFA) 
  26. WR Xavier Gipson (6-UDFA)

There’s a few more that I‘m missing but by my count that’s 10 OL (mostly round 1-2 prospects), 5 DL, 3 RB, 2 TE, 2 DB, 2 WR, 1 QB, 1 LB 

Some of the more high profile prospects who visited the Local Pro Day: TE Brenton Strange (round 2-4), C Luke Wypler (2-4), DB Ji’Ayir Brown (2-4), DE Andre Carter II (2-4), WR Andrei Iosivas (round 3-5)

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think the difference is that Levis has shown the ability to function in an NFL style offense and under duress and Stroud played at Ohio State. There’s less projection with Levis.

I thought Stroud showed the ability to handle pressure and make plays under duress against us in the Peach Bowl.  I was not at all worried about him going into that game, thinking the same thing, he would not be able to handle our defense, but he did. Made plays with his legs, avoiding the rush and making some great throws on the run under pressure.  I think that game probably did as much for a prospect as a single game could.  Stroud is QB1 to me.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Lith said:

I thought Stroud showed the ability to handle pressure and make plays under duress against us in the Peach Bowl.  I was not at all worried about him going into that game, thinking the same thing, he would not be able to handle our defense, but he did. Made plays with his lieges, avoiding the rush and making some great throws on the run under pressure.  I think that game probably did as much for a prospect as a single game could.  Stroud is QB1 to me.

That game has definitely been the big talking point about Stroud—that because he did it against Georgia, maybe that’s the *real* Stroud, but apparently that game had been an outlier for him. According to PFF, he only completed 41% of his passes while under pressure with (iirc) a 75 QB rating last season. There’s also lots of helmet scouting going on there—because Fields has been such a bad passer as a pro, the fear is that Stroud likewise benefitted from playing with all those 5-stars at receiver and on the OL and he doesn’t offer half the athleticism that Fields does. Daniel Jeremiah said something recently I thought was revealing: he joked that scouting Stroud was “boring” because he always made the right read and made the right throw snap after snap. Personally, I think that’d be a good quality to have at QB. I like Stroud as QB1 too, but I’d be nervous about how going from that OSU system and talent to the pros.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That game has definitely been the big talking point about Stroud—that because he did it against Georgia, maybe that’s the *real* Stroud, but apparently that game had been an outlier for him. According to PFF, he only completed 41% of his passes while under pressure with (iirc) a 75 QB rating last season. There’s also lots of helmet scouting going on there—because Fields has been such a bad passer as a pro, the fear is that Stroud likewise benefitted from playing with all those 5-stars at receiver and on the OL and he doesn’t offer half the athleticism that Fields does. Daniel Jeremiah said something recently I thought was revealing: he joked that scouting Stroud was “boring” because he always made the right read and made the right throw snap after snap. Personally, I think that’d be a good quality to have at QB. I like Stroud as QB1 too, but I’d be nervous about how going from that OSU system and talent to the pros.

That's the hardest part about scouting a QB.   Is he good because he's good, or is he good because of who he throws to?

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe I am putting too much weight in one game, but he looked to be so in control, it did not appear to be fluky at all.  He threw well from the pocket and seemed to be in control when protection broke down.  He did not play "hero ball" where he was running around in the backfield like a chicken with its head cut off making the occasional big play (like a certain unnamed QB we all love).   It was just one game, and arguably the biggest one he ever played in coming off a bad performance against Michigan.  Maybe he learned something about himself and playing the position.   What makes the evaluation a little tougher is it was the last game he played.  We never got a chance to see how he would follow it up.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Maybe I am putting too much weight in one game, but he looked to be so in control, it did not appear to be fluky at all.  He threw well from the pocket and seemed to be in control when protection broke down.  He did not play "hero ball" where he was running around in the backfield like a chicken with its head cut off making the occasional big play (like a certain unnamed QB we all love).   It was just one game, and arguably the biggest one he ever played in coming off a bad performance against Michigan.  Maybe he learned something about himself and playing the position.   What makes the evaluation a little tougher is it was the last game he played.  We never got a chance to see how he would follow it up.

Agree 100%. If I was a GM, he’d absolutely be the one I’d be least afraid of. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Lith said:

Based on this list, sure looks like OT round 1 and C round 2 is a possibility.  and I would be very happy with that.

It would be a massive shock if it weren’t OL first round. It’s been the plan since the onset of the offseason to invest a “blue chip asset” in an OL that could play tackle long-term. JD desperately wants to land a building block there and while they’re encouraged with Becton they no longer look at him that way. Naturally you don’t just take one to take one, but from my understanding they have the top 4 rated closely and all within their top 15 players so it wouldn’t be a reach and I think they see a scenario where the value meets the need. I’m not convinced they’ll have any DL/DE not named Anderson, Wilson, Carter rated above the OL. Nolan Smtih, LVS, Kancey, Murphy, White all come with flaws. 

The second round is a little less predictable. For one, need to see if the Rodgers deal gets done. Then it really comes down to value. I don’t think they’ll reach on a C if for instance Tippmann and JMS were gone. I also don’t think they would pass on a front 7 defender if they have them higher on their board than one of the Cs (i.e. if Ojulari is rated above JMS and both are there, I think they would take Ojulari). Also can’t rule out TE… I think they brought in Musgrave more for the medical in case he were to drop, but with the way these coaches value TEs wouldn’t shock me if they took a falling prospect in round 2 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is why I feel situation and coaching is so important for prospects. As I’ve always said, transitioning from OSU’s offense to an NFL offense is much harder than others. Very little complexity and responsibility for their QBs, making the QBs job much easier. Stroud can easily unravel in the wrong scheme that demands more and forces the QB to play a certain way (i.e. Shanahan offense). 

I don’t believe HOU is a good marriage for Stroud whereas I think IND with Steichen would be perfect. Steichen has integrated a number of different schemes with a number of different styles of QB, and he’s integrated the RPO and air raid as base concepts in his ever evolving scheme and he’s willing to adapt to the QB. With Stroud your less concerned about him being up to snuff from a mechanic/fundamental standpoint, it’s really the mental side and what the coach/scheme asks of him… if the coach is willing to adapt to the player like Steichen is, I feel Stroud can be successful

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

It would be a massive shock if it weren’t OL first round. It’s been the plan since the onset of the offseason to invest a “blue chip asset” in an OL that could play tackle long-term. JD desperately wants to land a building block there and while they’re encouraged with Becton they no longer look at him that way. Naturally you don’t just take one to take one, but from my understanding they have the top 4 rated closely and all within their top 15 players so it wouldn’t be a reach and I think they see a scenario where the value meets the need. I’m not convinced they’ll have any DL/DE not named Anderson, Wilson, Carter rated above the OL. Nolan Smtih, LVS, Kancey, Murphy, White all come with flaws. 

The second round is a little less predictable. For one, need to see if the Rodgers deal gets done. Then it really comes down to value. I don’t think they’ll reach on a C if for instance Tippmann and JMS were gone. I also don’t think they would pass on a front 7 defender if they have them higher on their board than one of the Cs (i.e. if Ojulari is rated above JMS and both are there, I think they would take Ojulari). Also can’t rule out TE… I think they brought in Musgrave more for the medical in case he were to drop, but with the way these coaches value TEs wouldn’t shock me if they took a falling prospect in round 2 

I wonder if they miss on Tippman or JMS they pivot to signing Ben Jones and pick up Zavala or Mauch as center conversions. 

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

This is why I feel situation and coaching is so important for prospects. As I’ve always said, transitioning from OSU’s offense to an NFL offense is much harder than others. Very little complexity and responsibility for their QBs, making the QBs job much easier. Stroud can easily unravel in the wrong scheme that demands more and forces the QB to play a certain way (i.e. Shanahan offense). 

I don’t believe HOU is a good marriage for Stroud whereas I think IND with Steichen would be perfect. Steichen has integrated a number of different schemes with a number of different styles of QB, and he’s integrated the RPO and air raid as base concepts in his ever evolving scheme and he’s willing to adapt to the QB. With Stroud your less concerned about him being up to snuff from a mechanic/fundamental standpoint, it’s really the mental side and what the coach/scheme asks of him… if the coach is willing to adapt to the player like Steichen is, I feel Stroud can be successful

I’ve been surprised by the Indy/Levis connection and Stroud apparently falling off with the Panthers. Maybe Stroud interviews like a mush? I’ve read that he’s a soft-spoken kid, and you can see how that’d turn off bohunks like Tepper and Irsay. As for Indianapolis, I think they have some real issues on offense which might take a a year or two to correct, so I’d be nervous about that pairing even though everyone loves Steichen. Pittman and Alec Pierce probably wouldn’t see the field at OSU. ?

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve been surprised by the Indy/Levis connection and Stroud apparently falling off with the Panthers. Maybe Stroud interviews like a mush? I’ve read that he’s a soft-spoken kid, and you can see how that’d turn off bohunks like Tepper and Irsay. As for Indianapolis, I think they have some real issues on offense which might take a a year or two to correct, so I’d be nervous about that pairing even though everyone loves Steichen. Pittman and Alec Pierce probably wouldn’t see the field at OSU. ?

After listening to Peyton Manning talk about Bryce Young it kind of put things into perspective for me. Peyton compared Young to Joe Burrow. He may not have the strongest arm and may not be the most athletic, but he has above average tools and an elite understanding of the game. I’m extremely worried about his size, but I don’t think it actually limits his ability to play. Unlike other short prospects he’s not a guy that just flashes crazy ability in a spread out scheme (see Kyler); he has shown the ability to play in a pro style offense, process the entire field and make full field reads, quick decision-maker, played under pressure, and attacked over the middle consistently without issue. I’m more worried about him staying healthy. I don’t think Carolina dislikes Stroud, just get the sense that Young is the superior prospect in every way outside of his height and weight.

Indianapolos preferring Levis over Richardson doesn’t shock me and quite honestly if I were Richardson I do not want to wind up there. Richardson can be an elite player but he needs time, and time will not be awarded there with that owner. I feel more confident that Stroud and Levis would be more successful there than Richardson. 

The way I see their fits in order, assuming CAR takes Young: 

• HOU: Levis, Hooker, Stroud, Richardson (not necessarily at #2) 
  • IND: Stroud, Levis, Hooker, Richardson 
  • SEA: Richardson, Levis, Stroud, Hooker
  • DET: Stroud, Richardson, Levis, Hooker
  • LV: Levis, Stroud, Richardson, Hooker
  • ATL: Stroud, Richardson, Levis, Hooker
  • TEN: Richardson, Levis, Stroud, Hooker
  • WAS: Stroud, Hooker, Levis, Richardson
  • TB: Stroud, Hooker, Levis, Richardson
  • MIN: Stroud, Richardson, Levis, Hooker
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder if they miss on Tippman or JMS they pivot to signing Ben Jones and pick up Zavala or Mauch as center conversions. 

I think so, but there’s no guarantee that Jones will play. I think they want to ideally land a guy in round 2 who can compete with Schweitzer and Colon, but likely start Day 1. If that option doesn’t come to fruition, they draft BPA, likely add a developmental interior OL on Day 3, then sign a FA C if the money is right. Either way I don’t see anything with Ben Jones until after the draft 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

It would be just like McDaniels to follow up his infamous tebow pick by making another one by taking richardson.

Although I will say that Richardson there in this situation would be a lot better than Tebow in that situation. I still cannot believe Tebow went in round 1. 

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Although I will say that Richardson there in this situation would be a lot better than Tebow in that situation. I still cannot believe Tebow went in round 1. 

Richardson will have an impact if you love guys like Fields who run for ton of yards and their team wins 2 games.

Seeing people (national media pundits) compare him to players who were vastly more prepared is kind of funny.  I've seen cam newton and jalen hirts comparisons which are ridiculous to me.

In any case this is going to be a fun draft this year with a lot of surprises.

2 hours ago, football guy said:

I think so, but there’s no guarantee that Jones will play. I think they want to ideally land a guy in round 2 who can compete with Schweitzer and Colon, but likely start Day 1. If that option doesn’t come to fruition, they draft BPA, likely add a developmental interior OL on Day 3, then sign a FA C if the money is right. Either way I don’t see anything with Ben Jones until after the draft 

Think they’d carry 10 on the OL? I could see it since the depth thins out next year but thought bringing in both Schweitzer and Colon was kind of interesting. The developmental iOL/veteran C option is appealing but forces you to carry 10 instead of 9 (or cut one of those guys). Could’ve also seen a day 3 developmental guard to try to take over for Tomlinson but again you eventually just run out of room.

Kind of hope they land Tippmann. To our prior exchange, I still don’t love the idea of redshirting a tackle but Jones is the one that’d be most interesting with. It’s kind of funny since there’s a human element there too but whoever would click with soak up stuff the most from Brown would get a lot out of the year.

Any feel for how they view Tuipulotu? I thought kind of an interesting inside out fit and hyper productive but he came in really light relative to where he was listed and didn’t test.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Think they’d carry 10 on the OL? I could see it since the depth thins out next year but thought bringing in both Schweitzer and Colon was kind of interesting. The developmental iOL/veteran C option is appealing but forces you to carry 10 instead of 9 (or cut one of those guys). Could’ve also seen a day 3 developmental guard to try to take over for Tomlinson but again you eventually just run out of room.

Kind of hope they land Tippmann. To our prior exchange, I still don’t love the idea of redshirting a tackle but Jones is the one that’d be most interesting with. It’s kind of funny since there’s a human element there too but whoever would click with soak up stuff the most from Brown would get a lot out of the year.

Any feel for how they view Tuipulotu? I thought kind of an interesting inside out fit and hyper productive but he came in really light relative to where he was listed and didn’t test.

Colon is no guarantee to make the roster. He signed for $1.66 million with $250,000 guaranteed. I agree they’ll probably keep 9 and try to stash one or two on the PS

I won’t be surprised if Tuipulotu falls. He’s kind of like AJ Epenesa/Bradlee Anae as a prospect where media have him much higher than where he ultimately lands. His playing style flashes on tape but he may be maxed out given the lack of traits. Much smaller than advertised. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s there in the late 3rd/early 4th and I think the Jets would value him there. I do know that there’s some love for Ojulari and McDonald IV

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, derp said:

I dont think they will carry 10, not if Saleh wants his rotation in DL/DE (11 guys) and they been carrying 7 WR as well.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

Colon is no guarantee to make the roster. He signed for $1.66 million with $250,000 guaranteed. I agree they’ll probably keep 9 and try to stash one or two on the PS

I won’t be surprised if Tuipulotu falls. He’s kind of like AJ Epenesa/Bradlee Anae as a prospect where media have him much higher than where he ultimately lands. His playing style flashes on tape but he may be maxed out given the lack of traits. Much smaller than advertised. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s there in the late 3rd/early 4th and I think the Jets would value him there. I do know that there’s some love for Ojulari and McDonald IV

Yeah, I know Colon isn’t a lock but I imagine it makes taking that extra young iOL a little less likely than if he wasn’t present. Seems like potentially a good player too. Obviously if they love a guy and he falls it doesn’t get in the way though.

The cynic in me thinks unless two tackles are the first OL to get hurt they want the first two OL off the bench to be Schweitzer and Colon (with AVT to tackle if only one is hurt) which is why they brought in two vets. Realistically also very feasible that they want a safety net in case a rookie isn’t up to speed immediately, plus depth. Could be either/both.

Don’t Ojulari and McDonald kind of tick a similar archetype to Nolan Smith? Smith would terrify me at 13 with the injury history although I could just see Saleh raving about the person in a post draft presser. But strike me as at least a little similar. I imagine they aren’t sure if they’ll re-sign Huff so an in house replacement plus a little depth and pop off the edge would be nice.

Agree Tuipulotu sliding could make sense. Good to have a feel for him if he does. Very odd profile, but think this scheme uses DL pretty well and could find a role for him if he falls to the right spot. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Lith said:

Based on this list, sure looks like OT round 1 and C round 2 is a possibility.  and I would be very happy with that.

The Jets need a "meat and potatoes" draft like they did getting D'Brick and Mangold in the same year.  It set a foundation on offense for 10 years, let them find success with a young, mediocre QB like Sanchez for a while, and pop their heads up into contention and .500+ football with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  AVT is in year 3, Becton is boom/bust, everyone else is fodder.  Hitting OT, C with two of their first 3 picks would put a smile on my face.  The other pick could be anything of DL, WR, LB in my book.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, derp said:

Yeah, I know Colon isn’t a lock but I imagine it makes taking that extra young iOL a little less likely than if he wasn’t present. Seems like potentially a good player too. Obviously if they love a guy and he falls it doesn’t get in the way though.

The cynic in me thinks unless two tackles are the first OL to get hurt they want the first two OL off the bench to be Schweitzer and Colon (with AVT to tackle if only one is hurt) which is why they brought in two vets. Realistically also very feasible that they want a safety net in case a rookie isn’t up to speed immediately, plus depth. Could be either/both.

Don’t Ojulari and McDonald kind of tick a similar archetype to Nolan Smith? Smith would terrify me at 13 with the injury history although I could just see Saleh raving about the person in a post draft presser. But strike me as at least a little similar. I imagine they aren’t sure if they’ll re-sign Huff so an in house replacement plus a little depth and pop off the edge would be nice.

Agree Tuipulotu sliding could make sense. Good to have a feel for him if he does. Very odd profile, but think this scheme uses DL pretty well and could find a role for him if he falls to the right spot. 

Would love to see a LB like Jack Campbell drafted. Maybe Drew Sanders is a better fit for our defense.

• Upvote 2