Trades outbound?

19 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Not to mention Douglas may not want to sign him to a deal while Doulas and Saleh have their backs against the wall. He may determine pick, players, or just the cap space could be deemed more important than a big extension.

They need to win.   Trading one of your best players for picks only helps the next GM.

16 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

They need to win.   Trading one of your best players for picks only helps the next GM.

Which is why playing on the 5th year option, saving the money, and adding more players may be the route we go. I don't love it but given the circumstances it could make sense.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Which is why playing on the 5th year option, saving the money, and adding more players may be the route we go. I don't love it but given the circumstances it could make sense.

I think they are more likely to jettison  Davis Mosely and Lawson for the cap savings

Thats almost 45 million off the books which would pretty much pay Rodgers salary 

4 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I think they are more likely to jettison  Davis Mosely and Lawson for the cap savings

Thats almost 45 million off the books which would pretty much pay Rodgers salary 

I think that will happened anyway. We have Quinnen under team control for the next 3 years at an average of $18m per year, Douglas may not be interested in paying him the $22m+ per year he'll want.

The WR free agency and draft classes are extremely underwhelming this year. I would think that a team may be willing to trade a pick for him. Hasn't been able to stay healthy but very productive when he is, and any acquiring team would likely be able to work out a new 3-year deal with him (or adjust his contract to add void years to spread out his cap hits). $10.5 million per year for him is a very reasonable number 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

But the team also needs to replace those players which won't come for free. Johnson maybe slides up to take Lawson's spot without additional spending. The team will have to replace two players who see the field a lot. That's not just a question of cap space but also the ability to acquire two players of equal or better performance for less. 

44 minutes ago, football guy said:

The WR free agency and draft classes are extremely underwhelming this year. I would think that a team may be willing to trade a pick for him. Hasn't been able to stay healthy but very productive when he is, and any acquiring team would likely be able to work out a new 3-year deal with him (or adjust his contract to add void years to spread out his cap hits). $10.5 million per year for him is a very reasonable number 

Why not just keep him? It is a reasonable number as you say.   We likely would have to overpay for a WR that is about the same or less talented than him anyway (e.g. $15 mil for Lazard or $10.5 mil for Davis)?

On 1/30/2023 at 1:22 PM, rex-n-effect said:

But the team also needs to replace those players which won't come for free. Johnson maybe slides up to take Lawson's spot without additional spending. The team will have to replace two players who see the field a lot. That's not just a question of cap space but also the ability to acquire two players of equal or better performance for less. 

No doubt we d need replacements.   Lawson’s may already be on the team.   It’s possible they think Mims could partly replace Davis role.  I don’t see Mosely s replacement on the team.   Could they renegotiate and keep him?

No doubt we d need replacements.   Lawson’s may already be on the team.   It’s possible they think Mims could partly replace Davis role.  I don’t see Mosely s replacement on the team.   Could they renegotiate and keep him?
I thought Mosley was under contract this year .. is he a FA?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

With Mosely there's the player / position element but also the veteran leader element - l if we replace with a younger guy like Sherwood, were still lose the on field leader role in the short term.

I sense that there will be a renegotiation rather than a player change in this case.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I sense that there will be a renegotiation rather than a player change in this case.

If Aaron Rodgers, or Derek Carr, come to the Jets, I would expect CJ to renegotiate his contract . There are a few other teams on the cusp of a Super Bowl, who would take on his contract. With Rogers or a Carr in the fold I believe he work with the Jets to help this team financially for a playoff push.

• Sympathy 1

If Aaron Rodgers, or Derek Carr, come to the Jets, I would expect CJ to renegotiate his contract . There are a few other teams on the cusp of a Super Bowl, who would take on his contract. With Rogers or a Carr in the fold I believe he work with the Jets to help this team financially for a playoff push.
I think this trade all come down to Rodgers .. he wants to be here or not ... So .. I agree with you. He can collect his cash regardless.

Bryce Hall is the only guy I think might get traded. For like a 6th round pick. 

The Jets are buyers, not sellers. 

Sure, all the 'cap casualty' guys are potential trade candidates. But I just don't see them getting traded. These are players who (for the most part) underperformed, have bloated salaries, and could potentially get cut just to free up cap so we can sign critical FAs (or make room for vet QB salary via trade). Why would anyone trade for them and take on their salaries? 

*However, weird things DO happen. It's possible some team comes out of the woodwork and gives the Jets an offer JD will be tempted to take for someone like Zach, Becton or Mims. Guys that are literally still here only because they are on their rookie deals and have some upside but won't get much value in a trade. If some team come to JD and offers a quality draft pick thinking they can revive the career of Zach or Becton or Mims, JD may just take that offer.   

I don't see anybody as a must trade, but there are a few levels of guys that might be traded.

Potential cap casualties - Lawson, Mosley, Davis, Tomlinson.  Davis has looked like sh*t for the most part, but teams were interested and his deal won't be that expensive.  Lawson certainly has value.  I would add Q in here if his demands are crazy and so are the offers.

Guys we don't seem to value - Wilson, Bryce Hall.  I think Wilson would be costly to trade, but Bryce Hall seemed to have value.  Until he didn't.

Guys the new offensive staff might not like so much - Becton, Tomlinson, Mims, Moore.  Contract wise I can't imagine Tomlinson getting moved.  Moore and Mims may flourish under a new scheme or may go belly up.  They may make some moves just to make a point.  Even a guy like MC1 might thrive or not fit at all.  He certainly has some value, though he proved he can't carry our offense. 

If I had to guess they will maybe make one deal and end up with a 6th.   I don't forecast anything exciting.

On 1/29/2023 at 12:44 PM, English Jet said:

Can anyone see us gaining any picks before the draft, by trading any of our players? 

I can't see it myself.

Zach Wilson should be traded at the first opportunity, for whatever compensation can be had for him.

The team needs to make a clear, clear break, and move on from him.

If someone else thinks he is salvageable, let them spend the time and cap to invest in that pipe dream.

Same as Darnold, moving on is the right choice.  Cleans out the locker room and any remaining stink for whomever is our new QB, with no risk nor temptation to try and "see what we got in Zach" in 2023.

Same goes for "Like an Egg Back There" Mike White.  He goes too (as a FA).  No need to resign him, he's far too fragile to rely on in any way, and the cult of personality about him in the locker room needs to die a quick death.  His guy MLF is gone, as is his advantage knowing MLF's system.

We should, if we were smart, have three new QB's in our QB room next year.

But we're not smart.  So I expect at least Zach here, and maybe White too.  Along with a weak swing Veteran like Trubisky or the like.

Same old Jets.

• More Ugh 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Zach Wilson should be traded at the first opportunity, for whatever compensation can be had for him.

The team needs to make a clear, clear break, and move on from him.

If someone else thinks he is salvageable, let them spend the time and cap to invest in that pipe dream.

Same as Darnold, moving on is the right choice.  Cleans out the locker room and any remaining stink for whomever is our new QB, with no risk nor temptation to try and "see what we got in Zach" in 2023.

Same goes for "Like an Egg Back There" Mike White.  He goes too (as a FA).  No need to resign him, he's far too fragile to rely on in any way, and the cult of personality about him in the locker room needs to die a quick death.  His guy MLF is gone, as is his advantage knowing MLF's system.

We should, if we were smart, have three new QB's in our QB room next year.

But we're not smart.  So I expect at least Zach here, and maybe White too.  Along with a weak swing Veteran like Trubisky or the like.

Same old Jets.

I generally like White, so I don't really agree.  They are not likely to have a huge diversion on offense.  White has been under Jason Garrett with Scott Linehan and Kellen Moore as OC, Gase with Loggains and Saleh/LaFleur.  That is after a college career with South Florida under Taggart and Western Kentucky under Brohm and Sanford with a bowl under an interim.  One of the reasons for his success (such as it is) might be his time under so many different systems.  I do get wanting to move on to keep from the old Parcells (*that fat ******* carpetbagger) saw that if you have two QBs you have none.  Odd saying for a guy that benched Simms for Bruner and Hostetler.  

I think Wilson may be prohibitively costly to trade.  I am not sure how the other guarantees work, but his deal has like $10M in bonus that should be accelerated if they move him.  I think it complicates any deal, but I guess there usually is a way.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I generally like White, so I don't really agree.  They are not likely to have a huge diversion on offense.  White has been under Jason Garrett with Scott Linehan and Kellen Moore as OC, Gase with Loggains and Saleh/LaFleur.  That is after a college career with South Florida under Taggart and Western Kentucky under Brohm and Sanford with a bowl under an interim.  One of the reasons for his success (such as it is) might be his time under so many different systems.  I do get wanting to move on to keep from the old Parcells (*that fat ******* carpetbagger) saw that if you have two QBs you have none.  Odd saying for a guy that benched Simms for Bruner and Hostetler.  

I think Wilson may be prohibitively costly to trade.  I am not sure how the other guarantees work, but his deal has like $10M in bonus that should be accelerated if they move him.  I think it complicates any deal, but I guess there usually is a way.

The primary role of a good backup QB is:

1. Reliability and durability.  

2. Ability to win ~ 50% of starts.  Better is better.

3. Limit turnovers and manage games.

Mike White fails at all three criteria.  We can do better.

• Haha 1

We're in the 'cap era'. So to say 'the cap is BS and can be easily fixed' is incorrect. Before the new cap money was announced ($16m), we were $3M over the cap with about 20 FAs that have to be paid or replaced.

Yes. we have low hanging fruit that will have to be cut just to bring back our squad, plus around $14m for the new rookie class. 

Then there's Q who's looking for a new contract that will cost $15M more than he gets now, so that money will have to be found.

Then there's all the Carr/Rogers talk, so ANOTHER $40M+ will have to be found!

Would you trade Q it it meant paying for Rogers? Carr? 

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The primary role of a good backup QB is:

1. Reliability and durability.  

2. Ability to win ~ 50% of starts.  Better is better.

3. Limit turnovers and manage games.

Mike White fails at all three criteria.  We can do better.

harsh but a lot of truth here

57 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

We're in the 'cap era'. So to say 'the cap is BS and can be easily fixed' is incorrect. Before the new cap money was announced ($16m), we were $3M over the cap with about 20 FAs that have to be paid or replaced.

Yes. we have low hanging fruit that will have to be cut just to bring back our squad, plus around $14m for the new rookie class. 

Then there's Q who's looking for a new contract that will cost $15M more than he gets now, so that money will have to be found.

Then there's all the Carr/Rogers talk, so ANOTHER $40M+ will have to be found!

Would you trade Q it it meant paying for Rogers? Carr? 

Contracts span multiple years. Looking at one cap space for a single year is not the way to do it.