Who is your first choice to come in and QB this team?

pointman

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

They want Zach to be the long-term option but it will not be given to him. They are treating 2023 as a clean slate, and want to move forward with him as if he were a flawed yet talented 23-year-old rookie. They will look to use this year to allow him to develop, with a decision on his long-term future coming at a later date. If he shows significant improvement, they will look to keep him and potentially give him an opportunity to be the long-term starter in 2025 or earlier. If he doesn't show significant improvement, they will go find someone else. 

I cannot comprehend what is so dumb about that strategy. 

It shouldn’t be a clean slate for him. It should be a no slate. He’s horrendous. Totally lost at the position. A random 4th round pick has a better chance of being the guy. This isn’t a guy who was a victim of circumstance. He’s utterly incompetent.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

For the cost Carr seems the best bet from the rumoured options. I'd probably want us exploring the draft but Douglas/Saleh will want no part of a rookie.

Garoppolo starting with Zach as a backup makes Jack a dull boy. 

Giving up two firsts or thereabouts for what will probably be a two year rental for Rodgers is insanity, especially after he started showing signs of decline last year. You'd have to win a Superbowl to justify it and even if we get him I'd have us a long way off the favourites. He's definitely the high ceiling option but it would be such a desperate move. It's probably what we'll do though. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, jgb said:

It shouldn’t be a clean slate for him. It should be a no slate. He’s horrendous. Totally lost at the position. A random 4th round pick has a better chance of being the guy. This isn’t a guy who was a victim of circumstance. He’s utterly incompetent.

If any of that is true they're already fired. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

For the cost Carr seems the best bet from the rumoured options. I'd probably want us exploring the draft but Douglas/Saleh will want no part of a rookie.

Giving up two firsts or thereabouts for what will probably be a two year rental for Rodgers is insanity, especially after he started showing signs of decline last year. You'd have to win a Superbowl to justify it and even if we get him I'd have us a long way off the favourites. He's definitely the high ceiling option but it would be such a desperate move. It's probably what we'll do though. 

Your logic is strong but self-preservation is a helluva drug. JD’s interest for survival and the long term success of the Jets have now diverged.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

2025?  That would be dumb.  They are going to pick up his 5th year option before he is a real starter?  

People are acting like they can't sign him to a deal before then. Last I checked the Seahawks have been signing Geno to one-year deals for the last 4-years. 

Take it a step further: if they decided Zach took a big jump and they feel he has the potential to be a franchise QB and didn't want to risk losing him in free agency, why would it be dumb to pick up his 2025 option for $20 million if they anticipated Rodgers retiring after the 2024 season? $20 million in 2025 is what a low-end starter will be making. I wouldn't call this the likely outcome but don't think its nearly as crazy as people make it out to be

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I agree with all of this 

1 hour ago, football guy said:

People are acting like they can't sign him to a deal before then. Last I checked the Seahawks have been signing Geno to one-year deals for the last 4-years. 

Take it a step further: if they decided Zach took a big jump and they feel he has the potential to be a franchise QB and didn't want to risk losing him in free agency, why would it be dumb to pick up his 2025 option for $20 million if they anticipated Rodgers retiring after the 2024 season? $20 million in 2025 is what a low-end starter will be making. I wouldn't call this the likely outcome but don't think its nearly as crazy as people make it out to be

Short answer?  Yes, yes it would be dumb.  The Giants didn't pick up Daniel Jones option and he was a sh*tload more established than Zach would be after sitting another two years.   The 5th year option was $22M+ this year.  I am pretty sure that it will be significantly higher in 2025, though the cap will surely rise too.   Then can sign him to 1-year deals and keep him around, but it isn't exactly a great long term strategy.  You can't bank on that guy to be your starter.  If he sucks you are screwed.  If he is good, you end up having to tag him ($33M+) or sign him to a ridiculous deal.  In many ways the Giants might have been better off moving on from Jones, but I think they have faith in Daboll.  How much is Geno going to cost this year? 

I will add that Zach Wilson is the last guy that I would count on based primarily on practice.  He has shown a propensity for the yips and the inability to do the simple things that he probably was doing a better job of in grade school.  I am not putting faith in him performing as a starter until  I see it in game action.  This is not like Mahomes or Lance sitting a year and watching them in practice.  If he can be rehabilitated, I don't see why we couldn't see him in 2024.  I guess your theory is that Rodgers will be  here - so I guess their thought process will be to see him in week 18 of 2023 and 2024 when we have already locked up the top seed and judge from there.  Ha. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Short answer?  Yes, yes it would be dumb.  The Giants didn't pick up Daniel Jones option and he was a sh*tload more establish than Zach would be after sitting another two years.   The 5th year option was $22M+ this year.  I am pretty sure that it will be significantly higher in 2025, though the cap will surely rise too.   Then can sign him to 1-year deals and keep him around, but it isn't exactly a great long term strategy.  You can't bank on that guy to be your starter.  If he sucks you are screwed.  If he is good, you end up having to tag him ($33M+) or sign him to a ridiculous deal.  In many ways the Giants might have been better off moving on from Jones, but I think they have faith in Daboll.  How much is Geno going to cost this year? 

I will add that Zach Wilson is the last guy that I would count on based primarily on practice.  He has shown a propensity for the yips and the inability to do the simple things that he probably was doing a better job of in grade school.  I am not putting faith in him performing as a starter until  I see it in game action.  This is not like Mahomes or Lance sitting a year and watching them in practice.  If he can be rehabilitated, I don't see why we couldn't see him in 2024.  I guess your theory is that Rodgers will be  here - so I guess their thought process will be to see him in week 18 of 2023 and 2024 when we have already locked up the top seed and judge from there.  Ha. 

I stopped reading at “$22 million” because you clearly are misinformed... Do the research first, make the argument second. 

2020 CBA Article 7, Section 7(g) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, football guy said:

I stopped reading at “$22 million” because you clearly are misinformed... Do the research first, make the argument second. 

Research?  It's a ******* message board.  If you're so ******* well informed, please educate us. 

Jones’ fifth-year option would have cost the Giants $22.38 million in 2023. The 24-year-old still has a chance to earn roughly $30 million this year if he surpasses expectations in 2022 and the Giants franchise tag him

he quarterback is now entering the fourth and final year of his rookie contract in 2022. Jones’s fifth-year option would have costed the Giants $22,384,000 in 202

New York was widely expected to decline Jones’ option. If they had exercised it, Jones would have been guaranteed a $22 million salary for the 2023 season.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

2020 CBA Article 7, Section 7(g) 

This is ******* tiresome, but as @Jetsfan80 knows I am fine with that.  What's your point?  If it is that Wilson's 5th year will be lower, maybe you're right.  If it is that Jones' wasn't $22M+, I am pretty sure you are wrong.  It is all irrelevant because paying $20M (your estimate) and getting QB play that we don't know will be light years better than we have seen so far is still monumentally stupid. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is ******* tiresome, but as @Jetsfan80 knows I am fine with that.  What's your point?  If it is that Wilson's 5th year will be lower, maybe you're right.  If it is that Jones' wasn't $22M+, I am pretty sure you are wrong.  It is all irrelevant because paying $20M (your estimate) and getting QB play that we don't know will be light years better than we have seen so far is still monumentally stupid. 

… Don’t have an aneurysm over it

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Steve Young will not allow the Jets to keep Zach Wilson on the bench for two years, much less agree to a one-year prove-it deal at the end of it. 

You can give Zachapono as many years as you want, the little boy will always get nervous whenever a big scary defensive player gets near him and will play like crap accordingly. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

You can give Zachapono as many years as you want, the little boy will always get nervous whenever a big scary defensive player gets near him and will play like crap accordingly. 

Add to this that Zach has already banked $30 million from the Jets and he’s been roundly humiliated in all corners. He’s a good-looking, articulate dude. He could probably walk into a color analyst gig and make a nice career for himself. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Steve Young will not allow the Jets to keep Zach Wilson on the bench for two years, much less agree to a one-year prove-it deal at the end of it. 

It is the most logical solution.  Not sure how anyone could be against letting Zippy sit for 2 years behind his idol and hopefully turn into a player. 

Despite his abysmal play this year I still think he can turn into something if he gets the time he needs to mature.  He is in no position to ask for a trade the next couple years nor would anyone trade anything of value for him. 

Getting Rodgers for 2 years and letting Zip grow is the perfect situation. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Add to this that Zach has already banked $30 million from the Jets and he’s been roundly humiliated in all corners. He’s a good-looking, articulate dude. He could probably walk into a color analyst gig and make a nice career for himself. 

what about this two year redshirt plan

• Haha 2

On 1/31/2023 at 3:03 PM, jgb said:

Unfortunately I think that’s a big motivation why Rodgers is the team’s top choice.

Absolutely & then they also have similar playing styles? Yeah they’re after Rodgers for a million different reasons. Hope it happens personally. Wouldn’t be mad at Carr tho. Like him a lot too.

18 minutes ago, Pac said:

It is the most logical solution.  Not sure how anyone could be against letting Zippy sit for 2 years behind his idol and hopefully turn into a player. 

Despite his abysmal play this year I still think he can turn into something if he gets the time he needs to mature.  He is in no position to ask for a trade the next couple years nor would anyone trade anything of value for him. 

Getting Rodgers for 2 years and letting Zip grow is the perfect situation. 

What if Steve Young comes to the Jets this offseason and says he talked to Mickey Loomis and negotiated a deal whereby they’ll give the Jets a 3rd round pick that can become a 2 (based on playing time incentives) for Zach Wilson?

• Haha 2

The whole 2023 QB decision depends on the price. You can't discuss which QBs are preferable before you know how much each option will cost in terms of trades/salary/ etc.  It's like asking which of 4 houses you like best without knowing the price of the houses.  

Every player can be a bargain or a burden depending on what is given up and paid to acquire him.

• 2 months later...