Rex to Denver as DC ?!

Adoni Beast

While Rex gave us some great years here, he would need to undergo a full schematic change in order to be successful and im not sure he could or would want to do that.

Rex plays a system that was great in the 1980s and 1990s, was good in Baltimore and with the jets IF he had specific personnel but is likely not going to work in today's NFL.  The 46 defense is way to focused on stopping the run and Rex's love to blitz requires him top have elite players at LB and DB.  Rex's defenses were very successful - but he had the good fortune to have some of the best players to every play the game at his disposal.

His baltimore defense included 3 Hall of Famers in Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed and when he got here he had another HOF in Revis who could cover up a ton of mistakes and erase half the field.  Maybe he could use Surtain in that way, but I really wonder if he could survive schematically

On 2/12/2023 at 11:57 AM, Integrity28 said:

His scheme got exposed by Peyton. Brady then doubled-down. 

He’ll be good for ticket sales. That D is great. I don’t think he makes it better. He just has to avoid screwing it up. The key for that D improving is the offense keeping out off the field.

He does not have a scheme.  

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BCJet said:

While Rex gave us some great years here, he would need to undergo a full schematic change in order to be successful and im not sure he could or would want to do that.

Rex plays a system that was great in the 1980s and 1990s, was good in Baltimore and with the jets IF he had specific personnel but is likely not going to work in today's NFL.  The 46 defense is way to focused on stopping the run and Rex's love to blitz requires him top have elite players at LB and DB.  Rex's defenses were very successful - but he had the good fortune to have some of the best players to every play the game at his disposal.

His baltimore defense included 3 Hall of Famers in Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed and when he got here he had another HOF in Revis who could cover up a ton of mistakes and erase half the field.  Maybe he could use Surtain in that way, but I really wonder if he could survive schematically

It only worked in the 80s and 90s?  What are you talking about?  His D was 1/1 in 2006 and 2009.  I get that he has been out of the league for a bit, but he's never been worse than 19th in yards allowed.  He did not look good in Buffalo, but there are reasons to believe he'd do better with Payton over him.  Payton is the type of big cheese, big money guy that could reign Rex in a bit and get him to take the coordinator position he is better suited for without losing (whatever shred he has of) dignity. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Disagree.  Rex just needs a couple of good man-coverage corners, which Denver has.

He is capable of confusing any QB from week-to-week.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2023 at 11:57 AM, Integrity28 said:

His scheme got exposed by Peyton. Brady then doubled-down. 

He’ll be good for ticket sales. That D is great. I don’t think he makes it better. He just has to avoid screwing it up. The key for that D improving is the offense keeping out off the field.

He destroyed Mangini's D by 2012 ... what could go wrong in Denver ?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, prime21 said:

I'm going to miss him referring to the Jets as "we" on ESPN.  

Don't worry it won't last long. Next year, Denver will have the league's top defense. Saleh will be fired after winning only 4 games, and Woody will bring Rex home where he belongs.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2023 at 11:43 AM, Beerfish said:

That is what everyone said when he went to Buffalo.

I like Rex as a DC and he'd probably be a good hire but in the NFL these can't miss scenarios often as not miss.

I knew he would be terrible in buffalo. Buffalo ran a highly successful 4-3 defense the year before Rex took over.  They were the 4th rated defense in the NFL. Then Rex was coming in to change it to a 3-4.  They were trying to put square pegs in round holes and I knew it wouldn't work out.

The ownership brought Rex in to sell tickets. They should have hired Jim Schwartz who was their DC at the time. I think the bills would have had more success maintaining that 4-3 defense and then building the offense up. 

Rex was 15-16 over the 2 years, not a total disaster but his defenses were mid pack both years. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, sciond said:

I hope Rex gets it and dues well except against the Jets...

I don't care what anyone else thinks.

I loved him as the coach

it was a fun time to be a Jet fan

His act as a HC wore thin, and by 2012 I was over him and couldn't wait to move. However, after seeing the last decade of Jets football, I'd give anything to go back to the beginning of Rex's tenure here. I think 2011-2014 really screwed up our perception of him.

When we first got him, it felt like we had one of our own fans from JN coaching the team. He made it very clear that he was a Jets fan at heart, he was fiery as hell, and he brought with him the #1 D and #1 run game. For all his faults, if nothing else, you're absolutely right that those first two years was a fun time to be a Jets fan. Even his most ardent detractors can't disagree with that. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

His act as a HC wore thin, and by 2012 I was over him and couldn't wait to move. However, after seeing the last decade of Jets football, I'd give anything to go back to the beginning of Rex's tenure here. I think 2011-2014 really screwed up our perception of him.

When we first got him, it felt like we had one of our own fans from JN coaching the team. He made it very clear that he was a Jets fan at heart, he was fiery as hell, and he brought with him the #1 D and #1 run game. For all his faults, if nothing else, you're absolutely right that those first two years was a fun time to be a Jets fan. Even his most ardent detractors can't disagree with that. 

It's the kind of character that's fun when it's paired with success but obnoxious when paired with losing. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Westhoff could be joining them

Mike Westhoff @STCoachMike

Last ride in #jacksonhole before heading to @_DenverColorado to meet up with an old friend

Man.  This is is totally what's happening.

Westhoff is obsessed with Sean Payton.  He's gonna run it back with Rex and Payton.

This is what should have happened with the Jets, except the Johnson bros are clueless old farts.

Woody and Tony Robbins style used car salesman PVO Saleh deserve each other.

7 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

And he loved the Jets...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Man.  This is is totally what's happening.

Westhoff is obsessed with Sean Payton.  He's gonna run it back with Rex and Payton.

This is what should have happened with the Jets, except the Johnson bros are clueless old farts.

Woody and Tony Robbins style used car salesman PVO Saleh deserve each other.

Westy loves Payton.  He helped Payton out in New Orleans, and thinks the guy is an amazing coach.

Westhoff talks very highly of Payton in his book.

Westy loves Payton.  He helped Payton out in New Orleans, and thinks the guy is an amazing coach.
Westhoff talks very highly of Payton in his book.
Westhoff was an amazing coach, but post retirement Westhoff ... I dunno ... The book was poorly written.. I got half way through it .. I need to pick it up again.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Rex ran a circus. That’s okay if the players have the talent and buy in but it’s not okay when players take advantage of the system. It would be interesting to know why woody chose to dump both idzik and Rex. As time has shown idzik was actually heading down the right road to build the team. He just didn’t draft very well.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

Rex ran a circus. That’s okay if the players have the talent and buy in but it’s not okay when players take advantage of the system. It would be interesting to know why woody chose to dump both idzik and Rex. As time has shown idzik was actually heading down the right road to build the team. He just didn’t draft very well.

The circus has the best win loss record of any head coach since Parcells/Groh and somehow got to 8-8 with a terrible roster and Geno Smith as a rookie

Idzik was a horrible talent evaluator 

4 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

The circus has the best win loss record of any head coach since Parcells/Groh and somehow got to 8-8 with a terrible roster and Geno Smith as a rookie

Idzik was a horrible talent evaluator 

You gotta wonder if things would’ve turned out better if Rex were hc in 2015 vice Bowles. Maybe geno wouldn’t have gotten his jaw broken. True idzik was a lousy drafter but maybe he needed a better scouting staff.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

You gotta wonder if things would’ve turned out better if Rex were hc in 2015 vice Bowles. Maybe geno wouldn’t have gotten his jaw broken. True idzik was a lousy drafter but maybe he needed a better scouting staff.

And Rex’s big embarrassment was going 2 games under .500 with the bills.  Last I checked any head coach we have had since would be thrilled to only be 2 games under .500