A Decade of Pain

choon328

11 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

But I wana be 8-9 and at the end of the season and  smirk about all this “cap space” i have and how smart I am that I “don’t overpay” ?‍♂️

☝️the typical ridiculous Jet fan 

I'd rather be a "typical ridiculous Jet fan" than an a-hole. Thanks for playing.

2023 NFL Salary Cap Space by Team (profootballnetwork.com)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

This is for all the guys who tell me that getting to the playoffs is not enough, the jets have to bring in a quarterback who can win the Super Bowl. The jets have been the 3rd worst franchise over the last decade only behind the Browns and the jaguars.  Spare me your nonsense about the Super Bowl let's just try not to be the worst team in the league.

Screenshot_20230217-201234_Samsung Internet.jpg

I've been a diehard fan since the mid 60s.  I lived through a terrible decade in the 70s.  I lived through the 80s when the Jets had some very good teams and made the playoffs 4 times in 6 seasons and the losses to end those seasons were among the most painful in memory - the  wild card loss to Buffalo in 81, the mud bowl in 82, the loss to the Pats at home in 85, the soul crushing loss to Cleveland in 86.  Then another decade of bad seasons until the late 90s and early 2000s.  Playoffs in 98, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, and 2010.  Those seasons also ended with difficult losses - Denver in the 98 title game, Oakland in 01 and 02,  Pittsburgh in 04, NE in 06 and then the back to back AFC title losses to Indy and Pittsburgh. Then we had the last 13 years of losing again. I'm leaving out the tough losses in the almost playoff seasons (72, 79, 92, 97, 00, 08, 11, 15).

Yes, those winning seasons had some fun and memorable games.  But I am as tired of the crushing season ending playoff defeats as I am the losing seasons.  Making the playoffs is fun, but it stops being fun when the Jets fall short.  The SB is the goal and its been 54 years. The goal is to win the SB, not make the playoffs.  And if taking a one year shot means another long rebuild, I'm not on board for that.  The Jets need to build a team that makes the playoffs regularly, not a team that has a 1-2 year window.  The way to win the SB is to build a sustainable winning team that has multiple shots at winning the SB.  It's too hard to win the SB and too much can go wrong to pin our hopes on one shot. In many ways, the losing seasons are easier to take than the heartbreak.  When you ask most fans what the worst memories are, it is those playoff losses, not the 2 or 4 win seasons. 

So when someone says playoffs are good enough and let's go all out for a one year run, I say BS. Been there done that for 50+ years and it is sometimes fun, but never satisfying.  In retrospect, making the playoff is settling and is just not good enough.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

But I wana be 8-9 and at the end of the season and  smirk about all this “cap space” i have and how smart I am that I “don’t overpay” ?‍♂️

☝️the typical ridiculous Jet fan 

So your goal is one 10-7 season and one dice roll at a SB?  You just have not been a fan long enough to endure the pain of 54 years without a SB title.  I'd rather build a team that can win for years than trade draft picks and sign old free agents for a one year run only to fall short and start all over again in 2025 with a rebuild.  When is overpaying a winning strategy (in sports and life).  "I'm going to pay more than things are worth". That's a great life motto.  When has that strategy ever worked when resources are capped?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So your goal is one 10-7 season and one dice roll at a SB?  You just have not been a fan long enough to endure the pain of 54 years without a SB title.  I'd rather build a team that can win for years than trade draft picks and sign old free agents for a one year run only to fall short and start all over again in 2025 with a rebuild.  When is overpaying a winning strategy (in sports and life).  "I'm going to pay more than things are worth". That's a great life motto.  When has that strategy ever worked when resources are capped?

You don't think they've tried building a team by playing the long game in the last 54 years? It hasn't worked, and this team is on the verge of being great. I agree that throwing away draft picks and overpaying somebody may not be the way, but trying to build a team that wins for years is much harder than you think.

49 minutes ago, Hex said:

You don't think they've tried building a team by playing the long game in the last 54 years? It hasn't worked, and this team is on the verge of being great. I agree that throwing away draft picks and overpaying somebody may not be the way, but trying to build a team that wins for years is much harder than you think.

Spare me with the verge of great things BS

We’ve won 13 games in 3 seasons and lost 37. That’s a .260 win %.

We lost our last 6 games and 10 overall last year and people were encouraged.. Zach Wilson is the only QB on our roster.

Save me! I’m drowning in all this Greatness!

45 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Spare me with the verge of great things BS

We’ve won 13 games in 3 seasons and lost 37. That’s a .260 win %.

We lost our last 6 games and 10 overall last year and people were encouraged.. Zach Wilson is the only QB on our roster.

Save me! I’m drowning in all this Greatness!

#4 defense, OROY and DROY, and the team went 5-4 with Zach Wilson passing for less yards per game than my grandma. This team fell apart because of injuries. If it can stay healthy, then yes, they are on the verge of greatness. Buffalo Bills don't win 5 games last season if their QB is Zach Wilson. 

12 minutes ago, Hex said:

#4 defense, OROY and DROY, and the team went 5-4 with Zach Wilson passing for less yards per game than my grandma. This team fell apart because of injuries. If it can stay healthy, then yes, they are on the verge of greatness. Buffalo Bills don't win 5 games last season if their QB is Zach Wilson. 

LMFAO they didn’t draft Zach Wilson. We did.

13-37

6 losses in a row to end the season. 7-20. Last place AFC East… again.

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

LMFAO they didn’t draft Zach Wilson. We did.

13-37

6 losses in a row to end the season. 7-20. Last place AFC East… again.

6 losses to end, and half the offense injured. Defense was #4 and when healthy the current offense scored a lot with an awful QB. I'm not saying they're a QB away from winning the SB, but they are a QB away from greatness.

Just now, Hex said:

6 losses to end, and half the offense injured. Defense was #4 and when healthy the current offense scored a lot with an awful QB. I'm not saying they're a QB away from winning the SB, but they are a QB away from greatness.

Hex, I keep giving you facts and actual numbers, all you’re doing is giving me your hopes and dreams.

Just now, Green Ghost said:

Hex, I keep giving you facts and actual numbers, all you’re doing is giving me your hopes and dreams.

I'm giving you facts and actual numbers as well. #4 defense, above average offense when healthy (And that is with a QB who struggled to get 180 yards per game). You're using previous seasons in which the teams were radically different to make your argument, including a season in which Adam Gase was the HC and There were like 4 players still on the current team. 

5 minutes ago, Hex said:

I'm giving you facts and actual numbers as well. #4 defense, above average offense when healthy (And that is with a QB who struggled to get 180 yards per game). You're using previous seasons in which the teams were radically different to make your argument, including a season in which Adam Gase was the HC and There were like 4 players still on the current team. 

Okay fine.
6 losses in a row to end the season happened when?

7-10 last place happened when? 

Who is the only QB on the roster, and how many FA’s do we have? Our OL is a mess, our RB is coming off an ACL and we have one WR who is above jag level. Our CS isn’t exactly proving to be world class.

We have no idea what this team is going to look like next year, or what we’re on the verge of… but yeah, greatness. Here we come.

21 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Okay fine.
6 losses in a row to end the season happened when?

7-10 last place happened when? 

Who is the only QB on the roster, and how many FA’s do we have? Our OL is a mess, our RB is coming off an ACL and we have one WR who is above jag level. Our CS isn’t exactly proving to be world class.

We have no idea what this team is going to look like next year, or what we’re on the verge of… but yeah, greatness. Here we come.

7-10 was 6-3 before half the OL and their best offensive player got hurt for the season. We all saw how good this team was when healthy. If the team can stay healthy with a good QB and another WR and OLer, yes, this team is on the verge of greatness.

Whoever the only QB on the roster is doesn't matter because we're getting a different QB.

You may be right. But last season was a very promising one derailed by injuries and the fact that the QB was being carried by the team. With a healthy team, a good QB, and a couple other additions this team is great. Seems like on the verge of greatness to me.

12 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

But I am as tired of the crushing season ending playoff defeats as I am the losing seasons.

Really?  You realize the last one of those was 12 years ago?

You'd rather what we've had the 12 years since, instead of those two back to back AFCCG losses?

If yes, you're a very odd bird IMO.

Making the playoffs is fun, but it stops being fun when the Jets fall short.

No, it really doesn't, when compared to the endless, QB-less, 2, 4, 5 or 7 win seasons we've had since.

The SB is the goal and its been 54 years. The goal is to win the SB, not make the playoffs.

How many teams win the Super Bowl when they can't make the Playoffs?

Seems like the playoffs is the first goal, the Super Bowl is the second goal.

Doesn't really work the other way around.

The Jets need to build a team that makes the playoffs regularly, not a team that has a 1-2 year window.  The way to win the SB is to build a sustainable winning team that has multiple shots at winning the SB.  It's too hard to win the SB and too much can go wrong to pin our hopes on one shot.

Counter argument, the Rams and Stafford.

But I'm game, who IS your preferred "QB for sustainable winning with multiple shots at the SB" you plan to start in 2023?

In many ways, the losing seasons are easier to take than the heartbreak.

Hell no.  Being the butt of the jokes for this league is much, MUCH worse.  

When you ask most fans what the worst memories are, it is those playoff losses, not the 2 or 4 win seasons.

Not sure what fans you're talking to to hear that.

So when someone says playoffs are good enough and let's go all out for a one year run, I say BS. Been there done that for 50+ years

Not in the last 12 years you haven't.

In retrospect, making the playoff is settling and is just not good enough.

Again, can't get to a Super Bowl without making the Playoffs first.

The all-or-nothing demand has failed completely the last 12 years, making us a joke franchise.

It's time to try something new.  Aiming to win AND to get better every year, not all one or all the other.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yes yea roll the ****in dice for once over rolling the dice with a cheap fill in qb. Jesus Christ 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

So he says year after year.....  but here we are.  We suck again. :)

Yeah, I've been saying it for a long time. The Parcells hire pulled me back in. I'm not ashamed to admit it, I cried tears of joy the day they hired him. I've been doing alot of crying since then. 

Zach Wilson taking the field again will be the last straw.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Yeah, I've been saying it for a long time. The Parcells hire pulled me back in. I'm not ashamed to admit it, I cried tears of joy the day they hired him. I've been doing alot of crying since then. 

Zach Wilson taking the field again will be the last straw.

Im 60….   Ive been through a ton.  Sounds like you have as well. Ron Rico??  How’s that name happen?