Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Former Packers VP has some thoughts as to why the Jets should willingly fleece themselves? Let me click right on that! 

Agreed.   Never read the opinion of someone outside your exact worldview Tom.  

• Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I’d bet Rodgers would tell the Jets to lose his number in a second if the Packers tell him he’s their starter as long as he wants to play.

Do I see that happening? No, I think the trade gets done, but if by some remote chance it doesn’t I’d rather be GB having to kiss Rodgers a** next season than the Jets having to start Zach Wilson.

highly doubtful. rodgers is done with them. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I’d bet Rodgers would tell the Jets to lose his number in a second if the Packers tell him he’s their starter as long as he wants to play.

Do I see that happening? No, I think the trade gets done, but if by some remote chance it doesn’t I’d rather be GB having to kiss Rodgers a** next season than the Jets having to start Zach Wilson.

I completely disagree. Rodgers is done with the Packers and the Packers are done with Rodgers. You don't refer to Rodgers career in Green Bay in the past tense unless you are moving on. Let's also not forget, this has been brewing for years, including when they drafted Love. This is not some spur of the moment breakup. The anger has been growing for a while. 

I also do not think people are truly understanding the Packers need to start Love. This is Love's 4th year of his contract. The Packers need to know where he stands. It does not benefit them, at all, to sit him for another year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

28 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Since there's all kinds of opinions out there here's a take from the Packers previous cap guy.   He was there when GB transitioned from BF to AR:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/20/aaron-rodgers-trade-packers-jets-leverage

“And I have, as everyone knows, remained a loyal and biased Packers fan. The news about Rodgers is sad. 

“Leverage lies with the negotiating party that is most satisfied with the status quo. “

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Packers have 10 draft picks this year, I could see them waiting til after June 1st to clear some cap to eat a portion of that bonus in order to get the 2024 first rounder.

It really doesn't help them, though. Yes on paper it'll then give them more space this year in June, but which $25MM in FAs will they then sign (who further require not just $25MM in per-season hits, but whose contracts further couldn't/wouldn't have simply been backloaded anyway)?

Four of their 10 picks this year are in mid + late round 7, and Packers fans surely realize they've landed one 7th round starter since drafting Aaron Rodgers: drafting the great Brad Jones 14 years ago in 2009, who incidentally went on IR in October '10 to miss most of their SB season (including the playoffs and the big game itself), so meh to his value anyhow.

What they want are additional, usable, higher draft picks in April more than additional unusable cap space in June.

If, during the draft, they choose to make a trade of any pick(s) this year for a higher-round pick next year, they can wait to see who's on the board instead of forcing themselves to decide in advance. There's always some GM on the hotseat (or with extra picks) looking to trade up, who's smitten with a prospect on the board.

There's only one veteran of note for Green Bay to pay big after June 1st: Aaron Rodgers. After 6/1 they could eat more of his 2023 compensation, for the purpose of gaining a higher draft pick in 2024 from the Jets. That'd be a net cap loss, though, not a net gain.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Since there's all kinds of opinions out there here's a take from the Packers previous cap guy.   He was there when GB transitioned from BF to AR:

One thing I’ve noticed through all this is The GB media is just a microphone of the team. They’re very pro packers.

You wont find a Cimini over there who some Jets fans think is anti-Jet and some think he tries to be neutral.

GB fans actually think news that come from our reporters are biased towards the Jets. lol. Little do they know.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

i'd be very surprised if this trade doesn't get done by the draft

Happy Tuesday to you too ! 

In other news ... scientists have determined that man's intelligence dates back millions of years and can be attributed to a mysterious rectangular monolith found on one of Jupiter's moons. 

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It really doesn't help them, though. Yes on paper it'll then give them more space this year in June, but which $25MM in FAs will they then sign (who further require not just $25MM in per-season hits, but whose contracts further couldn't/wouldn't have simply been backloaded anyway)?

What it it's not about adding another player? Maybe Douglas wants them to eat a portion of that $60m bonus. I believe that would have to hit this year because it would have to accelerate once traded.

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

That's as biased as hearing Mangold getting up there and saying we should get him for a 4th and that's it and we have all the leverage.

It's only a valuable opinion really for me if the person giving the take has no allegiance to the Jets or Packers and has education on the matter. For example an old KC GM or NO GM, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Amazon Baltimore GIF by NFL On Prime Video

JMO folks still living in a fantasy world where the Jets give up two 1sts and the largest contract in NFL history to get Jackson, really should give up on that thought. It’s not a thing JD would ever do.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

To be Fair .. Brandt is a good read and listen.   I don't agree with him , but his thoughts are always considered. 

The media is overblowing this fan pressure bullsh*t.

What the NY Jets Fanbase wants more than anything ... above all else ... is a GM that handles business like a grown up.  Putting the reactionary childish behavior of prior GMs in the rear view mirror.  Jets fans ARE watching closely to see how JD navigates this.  Wait it out JD ..

wait...  it... out.

I want a GM who can draft a franchise QB and put a coaching staff in place that can figure out how to adjust build and consistently win.

Going after Rodgers is a sign of failure not taking care of business.  Not getting hosed by GB isn’t evidence of taking care of business.   

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 2

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

JMO folks still living in a fantasy world where the Jets give up two 1sts and the largest contract in NFL history to get Jackson, really should give up on that thought. It’s not a thing JD would ever do.

I know. He's not giving up much for AR yet will gladly give up 2 1st and a massive contract for a running QB? Not happening. Read between the lines. 

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What makes you think the Ravens won’t do a sign and trade deal at less than 2 ones and Lamar won’t take a contract less than what Watson got?   Baltimore is in cap he’ll and JD is a master at using leverage to fleece the opposition.

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I hate the idea of Lamar ... at some point though, JD should talk to him ... ask him how its going in Baltimore, if he has a favorite color etc ... jus to float the story he approached him so GB doesn't feel so safe.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I want a GM who can draft a franchise QB and put a coaching staff in place that can figure out how to adjust build and consistently win.

Going after Rodgers is a sign of failure not taking care of business.  Not getting hosed by GB isn’t evidence of taking care of business.   

The Rams and TB say Hello.

• Upvote 3

I do think Peter King's trade idea is probably around what actually happens.

We trade our 2023 2nd and nothing in 2024. But a conditional pick in 2025 base solely on AR playing for us in 2024. He plays at least 100 snaps for us they get our 2025 1st and if he retires it goes down to a 3rd.

For me my offer would similar except that 2025 could only be as high as a 2nd and as low as a 4th.

So if we get AR for 2 years we'd given up 2 2nd rounders ('23 and '25). If he only played 1 year we'd get him for a 2nd ('23) and a 2025 4th.

Seems like a good middle ground

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The Rams and TB say Hello.

McVay and Arians didn't draft Goff and Winston.   They certainly didn't draft Zach Wilson.  

If either one of them was our HC I would be much more comfortable taking a 1 year run based on their judgement. 

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I do think Peter King's trade idea is probably around what actually happens.

We trade our 2023 2nd and nothing in 2024. But a conditional pick in 2025 base solely on AR playing for us in 2024. He plays at least 100 snaps for us they get our 2025 1st and if he retires it goes down to a 3rd.

For me my offer would similar except that 2025 could only be as high as a 2nd and as low as a 4th.

So if we get AR for 2 years we'd given up 2 2nd rounders ('23 and '25). If he only played 1 year we'd get him for a 2nd ('23) and a 2025 4th.

Seems like a good middle ground

Ideally, I'd just like JD to fleece them and only trade away a 4th rounder this year and nothing else (other than maybe Braden Mann).

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So if the Rodgers trade falls through and JD had the choice between Lamar Jackson and Zach Wilson as your starting QB with your job on the line decides on Wilson? I find that hard to believe.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Ideally, I'd just like JD to fleece them and only trade away a 4th rounder this year and nothing else (other than maybe Braden Mann).

But that's not realistic. That's the equivalent of GB saying they want 2 1st rounders for him. 

• WTF? 1

So if the Rodgers trade falls through and JD had the choice between Lamar Jackson and Zach Wilson as your starting QB with your job on the line decides on Wilson? I find that hard to believe.
That would be my choice as well .. regardless of salary. I don't like an offense built around one player and one player alone.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Not when you weigh in Rodgers' age and cost.

It's just not happening. GB isn't going to accept any offer like that. They'd rather force him into retirement than accept that.

We need him.

So we have to have a good offer for them to move him. No it doesn't need to be a 1st but a 2nd this year and if he plays for us in 2024 to get a 2025 2nd is fair for all sides given his age.

This whole leverage thing is overblown. BOTH teams need a deal to get done. So meet in the middle. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

It's just not happening. GB isn't going to accept any offer like that. They'd rather force him into retirement than accept that.

We need him.
So we have to have a good offer for them to move him. No it doesn't need to be a 1st but a 2nd this year and if he plays for us in 2024 to get a 2025 2nd is fair for all sides given his age.

This whole leverage thing is overblown. BOTH teams need a deal to get done. So meet in the middle. 
They cannot force him into retirement .. they will have massive cap hit over the next three years. All while they are trying to keep Jordan Love from imploding.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

JD has been pretty all over the place, he was 100% willing to trade for Deebo, Hill and provide them with new contracts

Idk why people keep saying what JD wouldn’t do when he could potentially be fired next year 

• Upvote 1