Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

2 minutes ago, slats said:

When they negotiated this contract last year, Rodgers was coming off back-to-back MVP years, with the Packers winning 13 games in each of those seasons. They wanted to make another run with him, and they negotiated this expensive deal to do just that with a lot of expectation that they’d simply win the Super Bowl and Rodgers would retire, negating a large chunk of the deal. That didn’t happen, and Rodgers wants to keep playing, so now they need to trade that contract away. They can technically push it out until the contract’s due date, but JD could also lower his offer to a conditional 2029 seventh rounder at that point, too, and that would be better for the Packers than the alternative. 

Not just that Rodgers said he wants to keep playing, but specifically has already said he wants to play for a team other than the Packers.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

My issue is with the guys who act like GB (and their fans) are overvaluing him while we talk about winning Super Bowls with him.

LOL 

"Green Bay can't possibly keep that albatross of a contract. They need to give it to us." 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I agree, except I doubt we make the deal if he’s only going to play one year.

My issue is with the guys who act like GB (and their fans) are overvaluing him while we talk about winning Super Bowls with him.

Oh, I'm sure we are doing it hoping for two years, but regardless of what kind of commitment he gives our front office now, he can retire after next year and we'd be wise to prepare for that possibility. 

I definitely get what you are saying with the bolded, but a huge issue for GB is that they have publicly moved on from him, already. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Irrelevant since the hit is fully sunk cost hits. Even if they trade him pre-6/1 the cap tradeoff is he counts $0 in 2024 and beyond.

They've already accounted for this by restructuring multiple other veterans.

It's a non-factor.

Just recently restructured, in anticipation of trading Rodgers:

• David Bakhtiari
  • Kenny Clark
  • Jaire Alexander
  • Aaron Jones
  • Preston Smith
  • De'Vondre Campbell
  • Rasul Douglas
  • Plus both Darnell Savage & Rashan Gary are on exercised 5th year options that can be lowered via extensions.

Their top 51 leaves them with $24-25MM of cap space right now, before any other transactions. 

So while these restructured (and potentially extended) players will count a lot more next year, by then Rodgers will be off their books.

don't those restructures also make keeping him a possibility? 

meanwhile, the Jets are 84 mil over the 2024 cap before Rodger shows up 

Feels like the Packers are in decent cap shape and could weather not trading him

what does the Jets long-term planning looks like with Rodgers? It's already fairly screwed. 

• More Ugh 1

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You do realize we can do that at any time. But why jump the gun? We could go sign Carson Wentz, Teddy B or Matt Ryan. Then GB loses all it's little leverage?

But no sense in doing that if we don't have to. That's wasting cap space just to try and get the ball moving in this trade?

Signing any of those Guys doesn’t give us any leverage at this point. We’re all in on Rodgers, like it or not.

At the end of the day it’s going to happen. We’re going to think JD paid too much but we’ll rationalize it. Packer fans will feel and do the same.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Feels like the Packers are in decent cap shape and could weather not trading him

what does the Jets long-term planning looks like with Rodgers? It's already fairly screwed. 

Bit, we’ve know each other for years and I never mess with you, but where are you getting this cap info from for 2024? Over The Cap doesn’t have the Jets over the last time I checked.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

source of this claim?

this shows the jets with $60 million of cap space in 2024, and that includes players like mosley, tomlinson and picking up the club option on becton 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/2024//

• Upvote 3

We do currently have 12.4mill in cap with 3 contracts that we easily can cut or even restructure at max we can create 33mill in cap if we cut Lawson, Davis and Whitehead.

Now we have replacements already here with Lawson and Davis. So those cuts are very feasible. Whitehead isn't as easy, being we don't have any for sure starter to take that spot. But we could always restructure him. Cutting Lawson and Davis would save 26mill. So that would have us with just over 38mill still in cap space. So we do have money. Now AR would take a chunk of that. But that would still leave us with a good amount to work with. So we are still players in FA and even the trade market beyond AR.

2 hours ago, slats said:

I also tend not to speak in absolutes, that’s just how certain I am. Seriously, taking QBs mid-late until you hit? That’s like dropping thousands on the lottery every week with similar odds. That’s why no one does that. 

Fair point on the lottery.  But it’s not really the lottery is it?

I think success can be improved by having the right foundation, which is likely why a guy like Purdy and the fourth rounder the Pats took last year (Zappe) had some success.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the latter overtook Jones this coming year.

1. We need talented scouts who can find someone who fits the system.

2. Time to allow someone to sit and learn

3. Some real practice time operating the first team offense 

4. A system that favors or accommodates QBs who might not fit the prototypical first round mold.

5. Some ultra talented playmakers who elevate the play of the QB.

6. A Quarterbacks coach who knows how to develop

Purdy, Zappe and Howell MIGHT be a new (alternative) model as QB cost continues to rise.

Maybe not and way too early to call.

But JD is showing he is methodical and balanced.  He didn’t go out and bring in high price free agent after free agent this year even though the goal is Suoer Bowl (w/ Rodgers).

And I don’t expect him not to have a plan for when a post Rodgers transition takes place.

——————————————————//

3 things JD knows:

1. He cannot count on Zach (doesn’t mean they don’t try to develop him)

2. They likely won’t have the dollars to sign a good veteran starter given the large dead cap hit that follows Rodgers retirement

3. Reviving failed first round picks is no better than trying to develop a mid rounder who fits your system (rounds 3-5) 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Couldn't Rodgers leverage the Packers and speed up this tortuous process by doing something like this:

Offer to tear up his contract to free GB from the dead cap ramifications, but contingent on 2 things:

1)  Packers agree to trade him to Jets for Corey Davis and a bucket of urine

2)  Jets give him a new, reworked deal.  They could structure it with void years and a disproportionate amount of bonus money so he doesn't lose a $1 of guaranteed money.

Win-Win-Win for Jets-Packers-ARod

Why would Rodgers give up $58 mil? 
“to come play here, of course!” said the Jets fan.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Change your user name to Eeyore already.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

No, not really. They can't absorb another $60MM investment in Rodgers. The Jets can.

I don't know from where on your home planet you get your cap numbers. The Jets are $85MM under the 2024 cap before Rodgers. That number further presumes they still make the following payments in full, with no further cuts, restructures, or pay cuts:

• Davis $11MM in '23
  • CJM $34MM for '23 and '24
  • Lawson $15MM in '23
  • Tomlinson $13MM in '24
  • Uzomah $8MM in '24
  • Conklin $6MM in '24
  • Becton $14MM 5th year option in '24 (no evidence it's getting exercised)
  • JFM $13MM in '24
  • Random others (e.g. $5-6MM for Ashtyn Davis + Bryce Hall in '23)

The odds that all these players are kept at these base salaries is zero, so the cap space begins at $85MM (less $32MM for Rodgers &  anyone else added/swapped, like a different LT vs. D.Brown, plus however-much is allocated in y1 of a new QW extension), before clearing further space from the above list & more.

As they sit today they're on schedule for $100MM+ in pre-Rodgers cap space if they keep everyone without any restructures above, other than moving on from Uzomah next year and C.Davis this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, not really. They can't absorb another $60MM investment in Rodgers. The Jets can.

I don't know from where on your home planet you get your cap numbers. The Jets are $85MM under the 2024 cap before Rodgers. That number further presumes they still make the following payments in full, with no further restructures or $-shaving:

• Davis $11MM in '23
  • CJM $34MM for '23 and '24
  • Lawson $15MM in '23
  • Tomlinson $13MM in '24
  • Uzomah $8MM in '24
  • Conklin $6MM in '24
  • Becton $14MM 5th year option in '24 (no evidence it's getting exercised)
  • JFM $13MM in '24
  • Random others (e.g. $5-6MM for Ashtyn Davis + Bryce Hall in '23)

The odds that all these players are kept at these base salaries is zero, so the cap space begins at $85MM (less $32MM for Rodgers &  anyone else added/swapped, like a different LT vs. D.Brown, plus however-much is allocated in y1 of a new QW extension), before clearing further space from the above list & more.

As they sit today they're on schedule for $100MM+ in pre-Rodgers cap space if they keep everyone without any restructures above, other than moving on from Uzomah next year and C.Davis this year. 

yeah I guess I misread that number as being negative 

sorry everyone 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Why would Rodgers give up $58 mil? 
“to come play here, of course!” said the Jets fan.

Not only would Rodgers not do that, but letting the Packers get out of the contract would remove the pressure to move him, not the other way around. He’s not doing them any favors, clearly. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

image.gif.fae2a8b545c6377c33efbd8cb2f64b3d.gif

Sorry - just F'ing around.  :)

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

So what the hell is the latest? Where's our guys? @Mogglez @football guy  what's the deal?

They both still being babies and neither one wants to give in first? 

Lol I was on vacation since Thursday... my life does not revolve around posting updates to satisfy your own anxiety no matter how many times you tag me. 

And to correct a previous point you or someone else made, I never suggested Rodgers was holding anything up. I actually wrote the contrary suggesting that most of it is done but suspected money was holding things up, which is still the case

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

Lol I was on vacation since Thursday... my life does not revolve around posting updates to satisfy your own anxiety no matter how many times you tag me. 

And to correct a previous point you or someone else made, I never suggested Rodgers was holding anything up. I actually wrote the contrary suggesting that most of it is done but suspected money was holding things up, which is still the case

Love the machismo!  These serfs need to calm the F down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, football guy said:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

So what the hell is the latest? Where's our guys? @Mogglez @football guy  what's the deal?

They both still being babies and neither one wants to give in first? 

33 minutes ago, football guy said:

I could be wrong but I interpreted Zachtomims47's post as him referring to the Packers and Jets  (not FootbalGuy and Mogglez) as babies.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I could be wrong but I interpreted Zachtomims47's post as him referring to the Packers and Jets  (not FootbalGuy and Mogglez) as babies.

Correct. Thought that was obvious. But someone is clearly sensitive, for no apparent reason.

38 minutes ago, football guy said:

Which would be you. R-E-L-A-X. I tagged you once. Clearly a mistake.