Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

The idea that the Packers have the upper hand here and are holding out because they think Woody will jump the gun on the deal is kinda crazy. He’s not even the one making the deal. There’s no tangible reason for the Packers to feel confident here… there are some very real ramifications if they don’t accept what the Jets are offering. Sitting in the corner with their arms crossed doesn’t really change anything.

I understand this is the Packers and who they are as a legendary franchise, but the way they’ve handled/are handing the AR12 situation doesn’t scream great operation to me. They’re just being petty at this point

• Upvote 3

Just now, BigRy56 said:

The idea that the Packers have the upper hand here and are holding out because they think Woody will jump the gun on the deal is kinda crazy. He’s not even the one making the deal. There’s no tangible reason for the Packers to feel confident here… there are some very real ramifications if they don’t accept what the Jets are offering. Sitting in the corner with their arms crossed doesn’t really change anything.

I understand this is the Packers and who they are as a legendary franchise, but the way they’ve handled/are handing the AR12 situation doesn’t scream great operation to me. They’re just being petty at this point

They're a cheapo conservative (I mean in the sense that they don't make a lot of moves) organization that is being put into the spotlight and they hate it

4 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • It is not impossible for the Jets to not trade for Aaron Rodgers.  Theoretically, they are a bit better than last year when they won 7 games and were in the playoff hunt for December.  The future looks bright after next year as they find more ways to find a QB.  But the Packers with keeping Rodgers-a giant mess. 

YES !  The Jets fan base is on board with telling GB FU !.  That is the vibe that is out there.  We wont condemn Woody or JD if they let the trade fall through so as not go get fleeced by GB.  In fact, we will applaud them.

We would like to have Rodgers, but we don't need him.

Let GB keep him. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

They're a cheapo conservative (I mean in the sense that they don't make a lot of moves) organization that is being put into the spotlight and they hate it

? this is not being talked about enough. The Jets operate in this spotlight all the time. The Packers have been pulled into/put themselves in a place that’s way out of their comfort zone and are operating in the Jets domain right now. They’re in a very uncomfortable spot and I think it shows right now 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

? this is not being talked about enough. The Jets operate in this spotlight all the time. The Packers have been pulled into/put themselves in a place that’s way out of their comfort zone and are operating in the Jets domain right now. They’re in a very uncomfortable spot and I think it shows right now 

Jack O Lantern Halloween GIF by Chris Timmons

Well, when this guy is your team president you know you're in over your head. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

YES !  The Jets fan base is on board with telling GB FU !.  That is the vibe that is out there.  We wont condemn Woody or JD if they let the trade fall through so as not go get fleeced by GB.  In fact, we will applaud them.

We would like to have Rodgers, but we don't need him.

Let GB keep him. 

This would be a monumental botch job and a major fail by he New York Jets to the tune of actually thinking of firing an otherwise good gm.

The stated goal after last year was to come back this year with a good veteran QB to take us a full step into the playoffs and beyond.

It has been botched to the extent that it is now only get Aaron Rodgers as he is the only choice, and people want to applaud them for telling the Packers to shove it?  

In the end a deal will get made because neither team has a choice at this point but make no mistake the Jets blew it as far as their stated goal was concerned.

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 4

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It it is now only get Aaron Rodgers as he is the only choice, and people want to applaud them for telling the Packers to shove it?  

Yep.  They can shuv it and we can go with a non sensational, non HOF vet QB that will still get the Jets to the playoffs.  If you recall last season.  They did not need a HOF QB to make the playoffs.  All they needed was a QB that wasn't awful.

Tannehill could win 10 games with the current Jets roster provided that JD drafts the right OT with #13. 

ADDITION: As a matter of fact, I want to see JD have CONSPICUOUIS talks with all the rest of the FA QBs out there. 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This would be a monumental botch job and a major fail by he New York Jets to the tune of actually thinking of firing an otherwise good gm.

The stated goal after last year was to come back this year with a good veteran QB to take us a full step into the playoffs and beyond.

It has been botched to the extent that it is now only get Aaron Rodgers as he is the only choice, and people want to applaud them for telling the Packers to shove it?  

In the end a deal will get made because neither team has a choice at this point but make no mistake the Jets blew it as far as their stated goal was concerned.

The are other options. None as good as Rodgers but the Jets shouldn't overpay out of fear. Either way they're still looking for an answer at QB in 2024.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

huh?

The Jets goal was this offseason was to make Aaron Rodgers QB1. By all indications, he was their top choice by a good margin. While we can certainly debate the wisdom of that approach, that was clearly their goal headed into the offseason (see the Hackett hire). 

So, if they land Aaron Rodgers, they certainly they did what they wanted and if they don't, they failed. There is no in between. But the bolded makes no sense, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ptisme said:

Since there's all kinds of opinions out there here's a take from the Packers previous cap guy.   He was there when GB transitioned from BF to AR:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/20/aaron-rodgers-trade-packers-jets-leverage

Putting aside for now the fact that Brandt himself admits that he is a massive Packers fan in this very article, his argument is completely undermined by not addressing a significant pressure point for GB: that they would in all likelihood want 2023 draft capital in return for Rodgers, and it would actually be better for the Jets if that doesn’t happen.  If someone wants to make the argument that the Packers might be OK with getting their draft pick compensation starting in 2024 - that’s fine.  But Brandt doesn’t even address that elephant in the room, which is very telling. 

When April 27th comes, and the Jets are fine with Rodgers not being in Florham Park yet and still having their full draft complement at their disposal, but the Packers are faced with telling their fan base that the most they’ll have to show this season for losing one of their legends is possibly Corey Davis, we’ll see who’s “most satisfied with the status quo” then.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

huh?

The Jets goal was this offseason was to make Aaron Rodgers QB1. By all indications, he was their top choice by a good margin. While we can certainly debate the wisdom of that approach, that was clearly their goal headed into the offseason (see the Hackett hire). 

So, if they land Aaron Rodgers, they certainly they did what they wanted and if they don't, they failed. There is no in between. But the bolded makes no sense, IMO. 

Why did they throw a bunch of time and money in the trash by meeting Derrick Carr twice?

To start the process the Jets had no idea if Rodgers was going to play or if the packers would even let them talk to him.

This ended up being Rodgers or bust but sure as hell was not that way to start, nor should have it been that way.

Anyone that thinks an acceptable alternative is to have zac wilson back as the starter with pretty well every single vet QB off the board is totally delusional.

As I said, no worries a deal will get done both teams need each other far too much.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Why did they throw a bunch of time and money in the trash by meeting Derrick Carr twice?

To start the process the Jets had no idea if Rodgers was going to play or if the packers would even let them talk to him.

This ended up being Rodgers or bust but sure as hell was not that way to start, nor should have it been that way.

Anyone that thinks an acceptable alternative is to have zac wilson back as the starter with pretty well every single vet QB off the board is totally delusional.

As I said, no worries a deal will get done both teams need each other far too much.

1) Carr was a contingency plan. At the end of the day, they never even made him an offer. I think there was clear interest, especially after their initial meeting supposedly went so well, but it's also clear he was never option 1. Rodgers is/was the top choice - for better or worse.

2) As for the bolded, I think they have probably been back-channelling to Rodgers since the season ended and were always confident they could at least get a meeting with him. Reports of the Packers wanting to move on were fairly widespread since the end of the season. FWIW, I always thought he would return to GB, but I have no doubt that the Jets targeted Rodgers early. The Hackett hire was made with full cognizance of what it would mean to Rodgers. 

3) I don't think anyone thinks Zach Wilson as QB1 this year is acceptable. That's why I said - it's Rodgers or bust.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets are in a much better spot.  The goal for the Jets is not Rodgers at all cost.  The goal for the Jets is sustained success.  That means, you dont piss away high draft picks on a older QB who will be around for two years at most AND is coming from a team that has no choice but to deal him.  

23 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Are we 100% certain that no other team could decide to make an offer for Rodgers while this negotiation drags out? Maybe not in the next few weeks but if we get closer to minicamp and TC I wonder if another team could also see him as their missing piece. 

9ers

But GB isn't trading them to an NFC contender.

The trade partner not only has to be a team in "win now" mode but one with the draft capital to satisfy GB that's also willing to pony up 110M for 1 or 2 years max of work including 60M in cash up front.

22 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Are we 100% certain that no other team could decide to make an offer for Rodgers while this negotiation drags out? Maybe not in the next few weeks but if we get closer to minicamp and TC I wonder if another team could also see him as their missing piece. 

Another team jumping into the mix is the biggest concern in my opinion.  I don't think it's very likely given the financial costs, but it's not impossible, especially if there is a high profile injury to a quarterback in preseason/camp.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

My apologies. It's been a long weekend and there have been multiple people tagging me for ridiculous reasons, and confuse who is saying what

Here is what is going on: 

• Jets and Packers pretty much agreed on the basic compensation: 2nd + conditional + a player for Rodgers. Jets want the Packers to take on more money + send an additional Day 3 pick whereas the Packers want the Jets to take on more money otherwise send more compensation. 
  • If/when Rodgers is traded, the Packers lose an additional $8.7 million and would be on their books for $40.3 million in 2023 instead of $31.6 million if he's on the roster. The Jets wanted them to take on more money by restructuring his contract and converting some of the option bonus into a signing/roster bonus. My guess is the Jets would cave on this (if they haven't already), but would want a Day 3 pick thrown in. 
  • The Packers don't want to take on any more money in the Rodgers deal. In fact, they want the Jets to take on money for Corey Davis. The Jets can do that by converting $9.4 million into a guaranteed salary/bonus, in which case he would only be on the books for $1.1 million for the Packers. If not, the Packers want the Jets to add value to the deal, which the Jets think is BS since they had the basic parameters in place. The Jets feel its the Packers responsibility to renegotiate Davis contract, not theirs, but the Packers see it as a way to get a good player under contract for virtually nothing (and would seemingly "make up" for the $8.7 million additional loss they take on for trading Rodgers). 
  • There are also rumors that the Packers are playing hardball because they're annoyed with Rodgers and how he basically trashed them on the way out. Gutekunst never liked Rodgers but basically was forced into making nice with him, so this is his way of saying F u for all that you put me through. I don't know much from their perspective so hard to say whether that's real or not 

If there was a deadline to make a deal, they would figure it out. Right now there isn't any. My guess is it ultimately gets done at the owner's meeting next week. If not then, it can drag out until the draft until one or both sides cave. 

As someone pointed out recently - what makes this more difficult is GB doesn't have an "owner" so Woody can't get a Jerry Jones on the line or face to face and say "let's just get this done...Let me bring Joe D in and you bring in your GM and the four of us finish this thing"

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, football guy said:

My apologies. It's been a long weekend and there have been multiple people tagging me for ridiculous reasons, and confuse who is saying what

Here is what is going on: 

• Jets and Packers pretty much agreed on the basic compensation: 2nd + conditional + a player for Rodgers. Jets want the Packers to take on more money + send an additional Day 3 pick whereas the Packers want the Jets to take on more money otherwise send more compensation. 
  • If/when Rodgers is traded, the Packers lose an additional $8.7 million and would be on their books for $40.3 million in 2023 instead of $31.6 million if he's on the roster. The Jets wanted them to take on more money by restructuring his contract and converting some of the option bonus into a signing/roster bonus. My guess is the Jets would cave on this (if they haven't already), but would want a Day 3 pick thrown in. 
  • The Packers don't want to take on any more money in the Rodgers deal. In fact, they want the Jets to take on money for Corey Davis. The Jets can do that by converting $9.4 million into a guaranteed salary/bonus, in which case he would only be on the books for $1.1 million for the Packers. If not, the Packers want the Jets to add value to the deal, which the Jets think is BS since they had the basic parameters in place. The Jets feel its the Packers responsibility to renegotiate Davis contract, not theirs, but the Packers see it as a way to get a good player under contract for virtually nothing (and would seemingly "make up" for the $8.7 million additional loss they take on for trading Rodgers). 
  • There are also rumors that the Packers are playing hardball because they're annoyed with Rodgers and how he basically trashed them on the way out. Gutekunst never liked Rodgers but basically was forced into making nice with him, so this is his way of saying F u for all that you put me through. I don't know much from their perspective so hard to say whether that's real or not 

If there was a deadline to make a deal, they would figure it out. Right now there isn't any. My guess is it ultimately gets done at the owner's meeting next week. If not then, it can drag out until the draft until one or both sides cave. 

This makes it sounds like the 2 sides aren't actually that far off.

I see no mention of a 1st round pick which, if this report is accurate, means there isn't much to sweat from a fan POV other than the fatigue from all this.

My guess is Gutenkunst / Murphy make some concessions before draft day and we can finally move on.  But who knows how aggrieved the Packers feel towards Rodgers.  Maybe they want to make him (and the Jets) sweat as long as possible.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Who would? You would need to be able to afford him plus have the roster to support a 1-2 year run at a super bowl. 

Further, the Packers would be idiots to trade him in the NFC, so it would cut half the league out. If there was another suitor, it would have been out there already. Rodgers wants the Jets and the Packers have no other options.