Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

That's as biased as hearing Mangold getting up there and saying we should get him for a 4th and that's it and we have all the leverage.

It's only a valuable opinion really for me if the person giving the take has no allegiance to the Jets or Packers and has education on the matter. For example an old KC GM or NO GM, etc.

Sure it’s biased.  But he used to work for them and was in in the last time this happened.   so it’s good to hear his take on what the other side may be considering.   I certainly enjoy Tannenbaums take on the matter

3 hours ago, MykePM said:

Putting aside for now the fact that Brandt himself admits that he is a massive Packers fan in this very article, his argument is completely undermined by not addressing a significant pressure point for GB: that they would in all likelihood want 2023 draft capital in return for Rodgers, and it would actually be better for the Jets if that doesn’t happen.  If someone wants to make the argument that the Packers might be OK with getting their draft pick compensation starting in 2024 - that’s fine.  But Brandt doesn’t even address that elephant in the room, which is very telling. 

When April 27th comes, and the Jets are fine with Rodgers not being in Florham Park yet and still having their full draft complement at their disposal, but the Packers are faced with telling their fan base that the most they’ll have to show this season for losing one of their legends is possibly Corey Davis, we’ll see who’s “most satisfied with the status quo” then.

Yeah.  I’d imagine GB would raise their price after the draft.   Future picks are worth less than current picks

2 hours ago, football guy said:

My apologies. It's been a long weekend and there have been multiple people tagging me for ridiculous reasons, and confuse who is saying what

Here is what is going on: 

• Jets and Packers pretty much agreed on the basic compensation: 2nd + conditional + a player for Rodgers. Jets want the Packers to take on more money + send an additional Day 3 pick whereas the Packers want the Jets to take on more money otherwise send more compensation. 
  • If/when Rodgers is traded, the Packers lose an additional $8.7 million and would be on their books for $40.3 million in 2023 instead of $31.6 million if he's on the roster. The Jets wanted them to take on more money by restructuring his contract and converting some of the option bonus into a signing/roster bonus. My guess is the Jets would cave on this (if they haven't already), but would want a Day 3 pick thrown in. 
  • The Packers don't want to take on any more money in the Rodgers deal. In fact, they want the Jets to take on money for Corey Davis. The Jets can do that by converting $9.4 million into a guaranteed salary/bonus, in which case he would only be on the books for $1.1 million for the Packers. If not, the Packers want the Jets to add value to the deal, which the Jets think is BS since they had the basic parameters in place. The Jets feel its the Packers responsibility to renegotiate Davis contract, not theirs, but the Packers see it as a way to get a good player under contract for virtually nothing (and would seemingly "make up" for the $8.7 million additional loss they take on for trading Rodgers). 
  • There are also rumors that the Packers are playing hardball because they're annoyed with Rodgers and how he basically trashed them on the way out. Gutekunst never liked Rodgers but basically was forced into making nice with him, so this is his way of saying F u for all that you put me through. I don't know much from their perspective so hard to say whether that's real or not 

If there was a deadline to make a deal, they would figure it out. Right now there isn't any. My guess is it ultimately gets done at the owner's meeting next week. If not then, it can drag out until the draft until one or both sides cave. 

All of that actually makes sense and melds with hearing they are close and it’s more financial.   The last part makes sense too as Rodgers hasn’t endeared himself to management the last few years

1 hour ago, Falco21 said:

I do not disagree on the playoffs, but why is that not possible with Wentz?

The current Jets roster won 7 games with the 32nd rated QB play. Is it so hard to believe that they would make the playoffs with a guy like Wentz behind center? Not hard to believe when you look at his stats and his abilities. 

Can Wentz win playoff games for you?   Not so sure.    Also ur schedule this year is tougher than last year

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Jets Favre deal happened in August during training camp.

The Packers can hold off until Labor Day on exercising the option bonus.

If nothing happens by draft day, this could drag on for another 5 months.

The longer this drags on the worse it is for GB. For financial reasons alone he can not be on their roster week 1.

I would give them a deadline to agree to a trade by the day before the draft or the current deal is off the table and now I'm only offering a 7th rd pick in 2024. They have no other option but to trade him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

28 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Actually  that has nothing to do with my point. Who cares if they drafted those QB's or not. They brought in QB's at the end of their careers and won SB's. Do you actually think they care about the guy that they replaced? We have a chance to do the same thing. 

Much less likely based on the HC.   This looks much more like an attempt to save jobs with very little chance to win a SB.  We will find out   

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Can Wentz win playoff games for you?   Not so sure.    Also ur schedule this year is tougher than last year

There is nothing magical about playoff games and football isn't a 1 on 1 sport.

If your team can win games with a QB, they can win playoff games with the same QB. You get fewer opportunities at playoff games due to the nature of them. People love to stand on a soap box and scream QB X can't win a playoff game if their team doesn't win one in the first few tries. People love to latch onto these type of illogical narratives. Do you remember when Peyton Manning "couldn't win in the playoffs"?

It's true until it's not.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

My original point was that another team entering the mix is the biggest risk to the trade not being completed with the Jets, and I stand by that assessment.

If that’s the biggest risk, the Jets are in great shape. This is the Packers problem, the Jets are the only team with the interest, willingness and cap room to get it done. Can you think of a team that might decide that spending heavy on Aaron Rodgers -at this point in time or later- is suddenly a good idea? 

1 hour ago, Falco21 said:

Pivot to an alternative that is available.

Hell, a report just came out that Lamar Jackson is "ready to move on" playing in Baltimore and that he is not seeking a fully guaranteed contract. The Jets can pivot right now and put the Packers in an uncomfortable position. I actually would not doubt JD pulls that card now that this report came out.

Can’t see JD demonstrating a willingness to part with a #1 before the draft. Rodgers is his first choice, and he’s holding firm to his offer. 

In the unlikely event that this is still going on after the draft, that’s the time to consider the offer sheet for Lamar; when it’s for ‘24 & ‘25 first rounders. I’m not surprised by the lack of interest being shown in Lamar to date, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he got an offer after the draft. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, ptisme said:

For the record, the Jets had the 6th hardest schedule in the league last year. This year, the have the 6th again.

3 minutes ago, ptisme said:

.Most of us would be happy with a second this year and a contingent pick in a year or two.    Go out side and smell the grass

I think this is where we’re at. Jets want the escalator next year to be the better pick (of presumably two picks), and GB wants it upfront this year. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

For the record, the Jets had the 6th hardest schedule in the league last year. This year, the have the 6th again.

Yeah. I wasn’t aware it was 6th last year.   Just looks much worse this year.   I’m thinking Miami will be better if Tua isn’t hurt.   Patriots probably better.   AFC west and NFC east will certainly be tougher than the NFC north and AFC North

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think this is where we’re at. Jets want the escalator next year to be the better pick (of presumably two picks), and GB wants it upfront this year. 

Problem is a pick next year is a round less worth than this year.   I kind of believe the previous poster that said the hangup is money

8 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Who are they that you speak of???   I’m a Packers fan and I know a ton of packers fans.  No one thinks that.  We are all well aware the jets are the only takers and the deal has to get done.   None of us think we should get two firsts.   We are all well aware Rodgers needs to be gone.   Most of us would be happy with a second this year and a contingent pick in a year or two.    Go out side and smell the grass

Someone posted a link to a Packers fan thread somewhere in here and they don’t share that sentiment 

they are currently discussing sending him to the 49ers

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

FWIW, the last proposal I heard and posted here about a month or so ago, was a 2nd this year, a conditional 3rd that can go as high as a first based on postseason results and Corey Davis.  What you’re saying about the money being the hang up lines up with everything I have been hearing since, and is why I have been steadfast in my belief that this gets done with the Jets eating more cash than they anticipated, or changing those conditional parameters to be performance based, so there is a better chance of the puck becoming a first round pick.

If that’s the gap this deal will get done.   

• Upvote 1

Is it possible that the Packers are holding out on a trade until after June 1?  Based on Rodgers current contract, it's a $24m swing in cap savings if they wait.

Perhaps a deal is already in place, both teams are in a holding pattern, and the Packers are comfortable moving forward with no draft pick compensation in 2023 in exchange for cap relief?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

We have no idea how difficult the 2023 schedule will be until the season is halfway over.

Applying the previous year's record as a gauge to the next season's strength of schedule is at best a rough estimate.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

FWIW, the last proposal I heard and posted here about a month or so ago, was a 2nd this year, a conditional 3rd that can go as high as a first based on postseason results, and Corey Davis.  What you’re saying about the money being the hang up lines up with everything I have been hearing since, and is why I have been steadfast in my belief that this gets done with the Jets eating more cash than they anticipated, or changing those conditional parameters to be performance based, so there is a better chance of the pick becoming a first round pick.

How much money are we expected to eat? I mean if we’re already giving up a 2nd a conditional pick that can go as high as a 1st. Why would we eat money as well?

Seems like if that’s how it goes down. We severely overpaid. I’m 100% not one of the ones saying offer a 4th and that’s it. But a 2nd, Davis (even if we eat some of his money) and a conditional pick. Is more than enough. To have to eat some of ARs money on top of that…. Is us big time losing out. Let’s say the condition to get a 1st in 2024 is us making it to the AFCCG. Which could very well happen. We traded a 2nd this year. Ate Davis’ contract. And a 1st for possibly just 1 year of Rodgers?

We’d look like fools unless we won the SB.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

FWIW, the last proposal I heard and posted here about a month or so ago, was a 2nd this year, a conditional 3rd that can go as high as a first based on postseason results, and Corey Davis.  What you’re saying about the money being the hang up lines up with everything I have been hearing since, and is why I have been steadfast in my belief that this gets done with the Jets eating more cash than they anticipated, or changing those conditional parameters to be performance based, so there is a better chance of the pick becoming a first round pick.

Thanks Mogglez! I am hoping we can keep that 2nd! There’s very good value in the 2nd. 
Looking for our Center for the next ten years

If it is the 2nd, then I would expect JD to move down in round 1 to gain back a 2nd. Probably into the 20’s if a few gems drop to #13. If Richardson is there, maybe Washington, Seattle or Minnesota (no 2nd pick) or Baltimore (no 2nd) move up.

Wouldn’t it be fun if Ravens take Richardson, let LJ play on tag and try trading him next season.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Problem is a pick next year is a round less worth than this year.   I kind of believe the previous poster that said the hangup is money

Well it’s compensation. That’s straight from the oak table. Maybe that’s partly how much the jets want GB to take on (of the owed 2023 salary) but it’s a difference driven by what GB wants… which someone needs to slap a few faces. You’re lucky of being getting ANYTHING for 39 yr old QB with one foot out of the game - who is owed $60 million, and is already but walked out of the stadium.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ptisme said:

Yeah.  I’d imagine GB would raise their price after the draft.   Future picks are worth less than current picks

Future picks are a trade today for 2024 picks, after the draft they become the next available draft picks.

Green Bay are screwed for the foreseeable future if this trade doesn't go through. The Jets have been irrelevant for 12 years, so why not make it a bakers dozen.

Quite frankly I’d this trade hasn’t gone through I’ve elects say > 10mill we maybe have to eat in total between AR and Davis. We should just get it done so we can move in in FA. We can easily move money around and make cuts to be just fine and move on.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

How much money are we expected to eat? I mean if we’re already giving up a 2nd a conditional pick that can go as high as a 1st. Why would we eat money as well?

Seems like if that’s how it goes down. We severely overpaid. I’m 100% not one of the ones saying offer a 4th and that’s it. But a 2nd, Davis (even if we eat some of his money) and a conditional pick. Is more than enough. To have to eat some of ARs money on top of that…. Is us big time losing out. Let’s say the condition to get a 1st in 2024 is us making it to the AFCCG. Which could very well happen. We traded a 2nd this year. Ate Davis’ contract. And a 1st for possibly just 1 year of Rodgers?

We’d look like fools unless we won the SB.

It's not about the Jets eating money. It's about the $58 million that's owed in a Signing bonus by week 1. Sounds like the Jets want the Packers to take some of that on and the Packers don't want to. The Jets wouldn't be saving the Packers money, they're asking the Packers to save them money. 

49 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Is it possible that the Packers are holding out on a trade until after June 1?  Based on Rodgers current contract, it's a $24m swing in cap savings if they wait.

Perhaps a deal is already in place, both teams are in a holding pattern, and the Packers are comfortable moving forward with no draft pick compensation in 2023 in exchange for cap relief?

Well here’s the thing.   They’ve restructured enough that they can take the whole hit this year because Love is on his rookie contract.   If this is done before June 1 Rodgers cap is off the books after this season.   So in 24 Love will have to get laid 20 million(low number) so you could then afford to spend in FA.   I can’t think of a reason why they wouldn’t want to just bite the bullet this year and be done with it rather than having two more years of dead cap hits

53 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Someone posted a link to a Packers fan thread somewhere in here and they don’t share that sentiment 

they are currently discussing sending him to the 49ers

Pack wouldn’t send him there.   That would be a viable option though because remember they can’t trade him to a place Rodgers doesn’t want to go.   Also this isn’t the only forum with its share of homer idiots.    We all have them

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Thanks.

I'm a little confused as to "eating money"

My understanding is that 60M is due start of the year. Assuming Rodgers is traded prior to that payment being made, the entire effect of the 60M is on the Jets cap (in addition to actually paying the cash payment to rodgers), correct?

However, let's say the Jets want GB to foot 15M of it. Then I'm guessing that 15M would go against GB future cap and 45M against Jets, is that right?

Also, just to confirm, we're only talking about cash to be paid in the future/future cap hits, correct? For example, the cap hits as they stand today are on GB books and cannot be transferred in any way to the Jets, is that right?