Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

28 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Another team jumping into the mix is the biggest concern in my opinion.  I don't think it's very likely given the financial costs, but it's not impossible, especially if there is a high profile injury to a quarterback in preseason/camp.

This is contingent on it getting to "preseason/camp". No chance in hell Green Bay let's it get beyond the draft. They are not going to miss out on getting draft picks in this years draft.

22 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

As tedious as this is, I think Joe Douglas is doing the right thing here by not caving.

The irony is it could end up costing him his job.

Because if Zach Wilson is QB'ing the team in '23, the 1JD "story wall" ends with him and Bobby getting fired on Black Monday.

I do not think this makes or breaks Douglas. I think that argument is being overblown. 

I also do not believe the Jets roll into the season with Zach Wilson as the starter. That is an obvious point. He will pivot to a guy like Wentz, who again, is a far better option than Wilson and Flacco combined.

27 minutes ago, football guy said:

My apologies. It's been a long weekend and there have been multiple people tagging me for ridiculous reasons, and confuse who is saying what

Here is what is going on: 

• Jets and Packers pretty much agreed on the basic compensation: 2nd + conditional + a player for Rodgers. Jets want the Packers to take on more money + send an additional Day 3 pick whereas the Packers want the Jets to take on more money otherwise send more compensation. 
  • If/when Rodgers is traded, the Packers lose an additional $8.7 million and would be on their books for $40.3 million in 2023 instead of $31.6 million if he's on the roster. The Jets wanted them to take on more money by restructuring his contract and converting some of the option bonus into a signing/roster bonus. My guess is the Jets would cave on this (if they haven't already), but would want a Day 3 pick thrown in. 
  • The Packers don't want to take on any more money in the Rodgers deal. In fact, they want the Jets to take on money for Corey Davis. The Jets can do that by converting $9.4 million into a guaranteed salary/bonus, in which case he would only be on the books for $1.1 million for the Packers. If not, the Packers want the Jets to add value to the deal, which the Jets think is BS since they had the basic parameters in place. The Jets feel its the Packers responsibility to renegotiate Davis contract, not theirs, but the Packers see it as a way to get a good player under contract for virtually nothing (and would seemingly "make up" for the $8.7 million additional loss they take on for trading Rodgers). 
  • There are also rumors that the Packers are playing hardball because they're annoyed with Rodgers and how he basically trashed them on the way out. Gutekunst never liked Rodgers but basically was forced into making nice with him, so this is his way of saying F u for all that you put me through. I don't know much from their perspective so hard to say whether that's real or not 

If there was a deadline to make a deal, they would figure it out. Right now there isn't any. My guess is it ultimately gets done at the owner's meeting next week. If not then, it can drag out until the draft until one or both sides cave. 

Do you have any idea of "conditional"? Conditional 2nd that can turn into a 1st; conditional 4th that can turn into a 3rd or a 2nd; etc. -- lots to condition.

Also is the condition more on how well he (and/or the team) performs, or just conditional upon him saying he's sticking for a 2nd season (and any give-back in '25 if he changes his mind after the draft)?

I don't expect specifics but if you heard any more...

I'm not in love with the idea of the Jets taking on not just the Rodgers contract but also in paying $10MM to Davis (which de facto equates to nearly $70MM for Rodgers for just this year, seeing how he's going to be 50/50 to retire after any/every season). That and a 2nd and whatever the conditional pick is? I mean, not unless Rodgers has a wink-wink agreement to take a pay cut or move $20MM of '23 pay to '24, where he doesn't get it unless he plays a 2nd season. Either that or they'd better win a SB this year lol.

1 minute ago, Falco21 said:

I do not think this makes or breaks Douglas. I think that argument is being overblown. 

I also do not believe the Jets roll into the season with Zach Wilson as the starter. That is an obvious point. He will pivot to a guy like Wentz, who again, is a far better option than Wilson and Flacco combined.

If they don't get Rodgers and don't make the playoffs.. there is zero chance he survives. 

• Thumb Down 1

29 minutes ago, football guy said:

My apologies. It's been a long weekend and there have been multiple people tagging me for ridiculous reasons, and confuse who is saying what

• Jets and Packers pretty much agreed on the basic compensation: 2nd + conditional + a player for Rodgers. Jets want the Packers to take on more money + send an additional Day 3 pick whereas the Packers want the Jets to take on more money otherwise send more compensation. 
  • If/when Rodgers is traded, the Packers lose an additional $8.7 million and would be on their books for $40.3 million in 2023 instead of $31.6 million if he's on the roster. The Jets wanted them to take on more money by restructuring his contract and converting some of the option bonus into a signing/roster bonus. My guess is the Jets would cave on this (if they haven't already), but would want a Day 3 pick thrown in. 
  • The Packers don't want to take on any more money in the Rodgers deal. In fact, they want the Jets to take on money for Corey Davis. The Jets can do that by converting $9.4 million into a guaranteed salary/bonus, in which case he would only be on the books for $1.1 million for the Packers. If not, the Packers want the Jets to add value to the deal, which the Jets think is BS since they had the basic parameters in place. The Jets feel its the Packers responsibility to renegotiate Davis contract, not theirs, but the Packers see it as a way to get a good player under contract for virtually nothing (and would seemingly "make up" for the $8.7 million additional loss they take on for trading Rodgers). 
  • There are also rumors that the Packers are playing hardball because they're annoyed with Rodgers and how he basically trashed them on the way out. Gutekunst never liked Rodgers but basically was forced into making nice with him, so this is his way of saying F u for all that you put me through. I don't know much from their perspective so hard to say whether that's real or not 

If there was a deadline to make a deal, they would figure it out. Right now there isn't any. My guess is it ultimately gets done at the owner's meeting next week. If not then, it can drag out until the draft until one or both sides cave. 

<In a dim classroom in the back hallways of the Villanova athletic building, Andrew Brandt furiously screeching chalk across a chalkboard in front of three disinterested ESL students who missed the registration window for Econ 301>

”And then you get them to pick up nine MILLION dollars of Corey Davis’s CONTRACT. THIS is the TRUE ESSENCE of LEVERAGE. L-E-V-E-REJ”

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

If they don't get Rodgers and don't make the playoffs.. there is zero chance he survives. 

I do not disagree on the playoffs, but why is that not possible with Wentz?

The current Jets roster won 7 games with the 32nd rated QB play. Is it so hard to believe that they would make the playoffs with a guy like Wentz behind center? Not hard to believe when you look at his stats and his abilities. 

I do not disagree on the playoffs, but why is that not possible with Wentz?

The current Jets roster won 7 games with the 32nd rated QB play. Is it so hard to believe that they would make the playoffs with a guy like Wentz behind center? Not hard to believe when you look at his stats and his abilities. 

Wentz has had an awful last few years and has now been dumped by three different organizations. 

He has talent, but there are major red flags. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This makes it sounds like the 2 sides aren't actually that far off.

I see no mention of a 1st round pick which, if this report is accurate, means there isn't much to sweat from a fan POV other than the fatigue from all this.

My guess is Gutenkunst / Murphy make some concessions before draft day and we can finally move on.  But who knows how aggrieved the Packers feel towards Rodgers.  Maybe they want to make him (and the Jets) sweat as long as possible.

They're not. But I don't think either side feels pressured to put it across the finish line because there's no reason to cave. Fans who think Rodgers will re-think this and ultimately nix a trade are just being cynical

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Do you have any idea of "conditional"? Conditional 2nd that can turn into a 1st; conditional 4th that can turn into a 3rd or a 2nd; etc. -- lots to condition.

Also is the condition more on how well he (and/or the team) performs, or just conditional upon him saying he's sticking for a 2nd season (and any give-back in '25 if he changes his mind after the draft)?

I don't expect specifics but if you heard any more...

I'm not in love with the idea of the Jets taking on not just the Rodgers contract but also in paying $10MM to Davis (which de facto equates to nearly $70MM for Rodgers for just this year, seeing how he's going to be 50/50 to retire after any/every season). That and a 2nd and whatever the conditional pick is? I mean, not unless Rodgers has a wink-wink agreement to take a pay cut or move $20MM of '23 pay to '24, where he doesn't get it unless he plays a 2nd season. Either that or they'd better win a SB this year lol.

I'm assuming a 3rd that can become a 2nd or 1st but I don't know the exact details. It would be in 2024 not 2025 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm assuming a 3rd that can become a 2nd or 1st but I don't know the exact details. It would be in 2024 not 2025 

Got it. 

When I said 2025 I meant as a give-back (GB to NY) if he hangs it up after only 1 season -- particularly if he has this change of heart after the 2024 draft is over.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Wentz has had an awful last few years and has now been dumped by three different organizations. 

He has talent, but there are major red flags. 

This is not entirely accurate.

In 2021, Wentz started every game of the season and threw for 27 TDs and 7 INTs. He had a QB rating of 94.6 and threw for over 3,500 yards.

Prior to that, in his 5 years with Philly, he threw for 113 TDs, 53 INTs, 16,000+ yards, and a QB rating of 90.

Would you like me to compare the above to the numbers of Zach Wilson? 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

This is contingent on it getting to "preseason/camp". No chance in hell Green Bay let's it get beyond the draft. They are not going to miss out on getting draft picks in this years draft.

I thought I read somewhere that Green Bay's cap implications are much better if Rodgers is traded after June 1.  If that is the case, they could certainly decide they'd rather have a healthier cap vs. an extra pick this year.

Just now, Falco21 said:

In 2021, Wentz started every game of the season and threw for 27 TDs and 7 INTs. He had a QB rating of 94.6 and threw for over 3,500 yards.

Prior to that, in his 5 years with Philly, he threw for 113 TDs, 53 INTs, 16,000+ yards, and a QB rating of 90.

And would you like me to compare the above to the numbers of Zach Wilson? 

Comparisons to Zach Wilson are irrelevant - he's not an option to start. We know he's better than Zach Wilson. 

His career numbers are good but that's not the whole story - he just got dumped by the Commanders and there is clearly a personality/locker room issue that has followed him across multiple organizations. 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Comparisons to Zach Wilson are irrelevant - he's not an option to start. We know he's better than Zach Wilson. 

His career numbers are good but that's not the whole story - he just got dumped by the Commanders and there is clearly a personality/locker room issue that has followed him across multiple organizations. 

Comparison to Zach Wilson is relevant. It is relevant because:

1. Wilson is the only QB on this roster that is likely in the playing conversation.

2. Wilson played 9 games and won 5 of them last year with the current roster.

I am not sure on the personality/locker room comments, I am not aware of anything to confirm or deny that statement. Just because he got dumped by the Commanders, does not mean he is not a solid starting QB in the league and could win us games to get into the playoffs. His stats prove that, so what proves otherwise? What other information do you have to support that he can not win in this league with a roster like ours? 

7 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I thought I read somewhere that Green Bay's cap implications are much better if Rodgers is traded after June 1.  If that is the case, they could certainly decide they'd rather have a healthier cap vs. an extra pick this year.

And if they do that, what happens if the Jets say "screw it" and they tell Green Bay "we will not complete the trade with you".

What does Green Bay do now? Trade him to another team? Which one? Cut him? Play him? 

Comparison to Zach Wilson is relevant. It is relevant because:

1. Wilson is the only QB on this roster that is likely in the playing conversation.

2. Wilson played 9 games and won 5 of them last year with the current roster.

I am not sure on the personality/locker room comments, I am not aware of anything to confirm or deny that statement. Just because he got dumped by the Commanders, does not mean he is not a solid starting QB in the league and could win us games to get into the playoffs. His stats prove that, so what proves otherwise? What other information do you have to support that he can not win in this league with a roster like ours? 

Then why did the Colts dump Wentz for an ancient Matt Ryan after the 2021 season you cited?

There's something that doesn't add up with Wentz. The Jets would be wise to steer clear of Wentz, IMO. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

Would you like me to compare the above to the numbers of Zach Wilson? 

Throwing for over 3500 yards today is nothing

Zach Wilson is bad compared to everyone. Wentz is medicore to bad.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Then why did the Colts dump Wentz for an ancient Matt Ryan after the 2021 season you cited?

There's something that doesn't add up with Wentz. The Jets would be wise to steer clear of Wentz, IMO. 

I remember reading that the trade happened due to the end of the year collapse they had when they missed the playoffs.

I am not denying your comments in saying he is not the answer for this team, but if we had to pivot in an emergency situation he is not a bad pivot and could definitely win us enough games to get into the playoffs.

Either way, I do think this is a moot point and the Rodgers trade will go through.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

And if they do that, what happens if the Jets say "screw it" and they tell Green Bay "we will not complete the trade with you".

What does Green Bay do now? Trade him to another team? Which one? Cut him? Play him? 

This can happen at any point including now.  I have and continue to say that the Jets have all the leverage in this situation.  The media saying GB has leverage is all perception based and made up nonsense.  The Jets having legit, tangible leverage is all based on finances and not debatable.

My original point was that another team entering the mix is the biggest risk to the trade not being completed with the Jets, and I stand by that assessment.

13 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

What do the Jets do then?

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What do the Jets do then?

Pivot to an alternative that is available.

Hell, a report just came out that Lamar Jackson is "ready to move on" playing in Baltimore and that he is not seeking a fully guaranteed contract. The Jets can pivot right now and put the Packers in an uncomfortable position. I actually would not doubt JD pulls that card now that this report came out.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I remember reading that the trade happened due to the end of the year collapse they had when they missed the playoffs.

I am not denying your comments in saying he is not the answer for this team, but if we had to pivot in an emergency situation he is not a bad pivot and could definitely win us enough games to get into the playoffs.

Either way, I do think this is a moot point and the Rodgers trade will go through.

The end of the year collapse was highlighted by Wentz pooping the bed in the last game of the year with ridiculous turnovers. 

They also just didn't like the guy:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/carson-wentz-personality-issues-led-colts-commanders-trade-report

All signs point to that they'd rather eat that cap hit than trade him for a small package. Call it stupid, stubborn, whatever you want. But that seems to be what they're ok with.
Could be true and this is where, if you are Joe Douglas,. You need to turn around and walk away.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Jets Favre deal happened in August during training camp.

The Packers can hold off until Labor Day on exercising the option bonus.

If nothing happens by draft day, this could drag on for another 5 months.

Or the Jets pivot to someone else and the Packers are held with the biggest pile of excrement in their hand.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

McVay and Arians didn't draft Goff and Winston.   They certainly didn't draft Zach Wilson.  

If either one of them was our HC I would be much more comfortable taking a 1 year run based on their judgement. 

Actually  that has nothing to do with my point. Who cares if they drafted those QB's or not. They brought in QB's at the end of their careers and won SB's. Do you actually think they care about the guy that they replaced? We have a chance to do the same thing. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

<In a dim classroom in the back hallways of the Villanova athletic building, Andrew Brandt furiously screeching chalk across a chalkboard in front of three disinterested ESL students who missed the registration window for Econ 301>

”And then you get them to pick up nine MILLION dollars of Corey Davis’s CONTRACT. THIS is the TRUE ESSENCE of LEVERAGE. L-E-V-E-REJ”

You’re fantastic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Any sense how high that conditional pick could be? For GB, is it at best a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, etc?