Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

12 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

My understanding is that 60M is due start of the year. Assuming Rodgers is traded prior to that payment being made, the entire effect of the 60M is on the Jets cap (in addition to actually paying the cash payment to rodgers), correct?

Yup.  The entire $60M would impact the Jets cap in a trade, but I think there is some acceleration of bonus money already paid by GB that would hit the cap this year increasing their cap charge by $8M.  Based on Mogglez comment, it sounds like GB wants the Jets to eat some of Corey Davis contract to offset the additional $8M cap hit.

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

? this is not being talked about enough. The Jets operate in this spotlight all the time. The Packers have been pulled into/put themselves in a place that’s way out of their comfort zone and are operating in the Jets domain right now. They’re in a very uncomfortable spot and I think it shows right now 

Respectfully have to disagree on this one.  These "storied" franchises like GB, Pittsburgh, etc. get a pass from the reporters all the time while the Jets are constantly portrayed as a dysfunctional clown show.  IMO GB is staying in the shadows and is happy to let the Schefters and Rapoports of the world fight their battle for them hoping to generate fan pressure and crack JD...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Falco21 said:

I do not disagree on the playoffs, but why is that not possible with Wentz?

The current Jets roster won 7 games with the 32nd rated QB play. Is it so hard to believe that they would make the playoffs with a guy like Wentz behind center? Not hard to believe when you look at his stats and his abilities. 

I guess it's hard to understand what "AND" means. 

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

? this is not being talked about enough. The Jets operate in this spotlight all the time. The Packers have been pulled into/put themselves in a place that’s way out of their comfort zone and are operating in the Jets domain right now. They’re in a very uncomfortable spot and I think it shows right now 

The Jets have also spent the last decade-plus stepping on every rake they can find, so I’m not sure the Packers of all franchises are intimidated to be in our “domain”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

It's not about the Jets eating money. It's about the $58 million that's owed in a Signing bonus by week 1. Sounds like the Jets want the Packers to take some of that on and the Packers don't want to. The Jets wouldn't be saving the Packers money, they're asking the Packers to save them money. 

I get that. Then the Jets line of thinking should be rather clear if you ask me. Ok we are willing to take on some of Davis’ money if you guys take on some of ARs. But we aren’t taking on both.

Let’s say they want us to pick up all Of Davis’ money and in turn we want GB to take on 10mill of ARs money. That’s a wash. So why even include taking on money?

2 hours ago, slats said:

Can you think of a team that might decide that spending heavy on Aaron Rodgers at this point in time or later- is suddenly a good idea? 

And that is also predicated on Rodgers wanting to and agreeing not to retire rather than play for a team that is not the Jets, IE Lazard, Hackett

GB is screwed and JD knows it

Anything more than a number two is outrageous to give up

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  The entire $60M would impact the Jets cap in a trade, but I think there is some acceleration of bonus money already paid by GB that would hit the cap this year increasing their cap charge by $8M.  Based on Mogglez comment, it sounds like GB wants the Jets to eat some of Corey Davis contract to offset the additional $8M cap hit.

This is a 105 Million decision.  He has two options.  One in 2023, and one in 2024.  Decline either they become guaranteed salary.  

I would fully expect this had been reworked if a trade happens.

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

We have no idea how difficult the 2023 schedule will be until the season is halfway over.

Applying the previous year's record as a gauge to the next season's strength of schedule is at best a rough estimate.

You realize the strength of schedule ranking is done preseason based on the previous years winning percentage? That is how that ranking works... 

22 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Disagree. You guys are in a corner. We’ve sucked for a decade. Trust me, we’ll get over sucking again. The only people who thinks this guy auto-slots us in the playoffs, are the same types on your end who think they should get a 1st, let alone two. AR12 buys our regime time. That’s all that is guaranteed. 

why would we give up much for a guy who played mediocre at best last year and barely dodged retirement? AND who we have to pay more than all the dime hookers in Dubai combined. There’s a reason why GB is prepared turn the page on this guy and that’s not lost on Joe Douglas

???? This is why a deal hasn’t happened yet. Cause GB still thinks they have something here worth holding out for. 

with our roster rodgers pretty much does auto-slot us in the play-offs unless we have crazy injuries

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ptisme said:

Yeah. I wasn’t aware it was 6th last year.   Just looks much worse this year.   I’m thinking Miami will be better if Tua isn’t hurt.   Patriots probably better.   AFC west and NFC east will certainly be tougher than the NFC north and AFC North

I don't know if I agree with this. Tua healthy is as common as discovering a unicorn. The Patriots still have an issue at QB and the Bills have lost and will continue to lose pieces, not to mention the locker room issues with Diggs and his comments as of late. 

I think with Rodgers, the Jets may steam roll the AFC East. The Dolphins do not scare me at all. The idea that Tua will beat this defense is laughable to me. Let's also not forget that Rodgers beat Miami last year with a broken hand and nowhere near the same firepower on offense as he will have here. 

A lot of this will also depend on when these games are played. Factoring in Breece Hall and his return, if we put together a winning streak in the first half of the season, Breece could do some damage as he starts to get back up to speed in the second half. 

The thought of this is making me so anxious to get this trade done! A healthy Breece Hall paired with Aaron Rodgers could be LETHAL 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Much less likely based on the HC.   This looks much more like an attempt to save jobs with very little chance to win a SB.  We will find out   

You are giving way too much credit to these coaches. BB is widely regarded as the best HC in football but he hasn't  won a single playoff game without Brady and now he hasn't  even gotten to one since his OC left and likely will retire as a guy who stayed too long. 

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

That’s one side of the argument.  We have our own homers that think you should pay a kings ransom.   Truth is both sides need each other.   You know you can’t make him sound like an expensive old fart with one foot in the grave one minute and the next be excited about power rankings and national tv appearances.   If you stay status quo at QB again this year you’ll be watching all your games at one pm and likely missing the playoffs again.    Both sides need this not just mine

Let me break it down for you. I previously posted that the best thing out of this whole episode is I no longer hate my GM or owner. 

The Jets entered into a good faith bargaining agreement with Green Bay. I get it, We're the wild and wonderful Whites of the NFL and the Packers are some NFL Royalty. Fair enough. But right now, your moral imperative is shot. You can see this, right?

You are disrespecting us, because you think you can. 

I don't care if next year my owner is Woody, my GM is JD, my coach is Saleh, and my QB is Zach. 

I'll keep my dignity and integrity. Losing aint the end of the world. I don't know how old you are, but you couldn't walk a mile in a Jets fans shoes. You'd turn around and crawl back from whence you came. 

I'm a good ol' rebel, and I'd rather die with my boots on than live another day kissing Green Bay's ass. 

Beat it.

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Let me break it down for you. I previously posted that the best thing out of this whole episode is I no longer hate my GM or owner. 

The Jets entered into a good faith bargaining agreement with Green Bay. I get it, We're the wild and wonderful Whites of the NFL and the Packers are some NFL Royalty. Fair enough. But right now, your moral imperative is shot. You can see this, right?

You are disrespecting us, because you think you can. 

I don't care if next year my owner is Woody, my GM is JD, my coach is Saleh, and my QB is Zach. 

I'll keep my dignity and integrity. Losing aint the end of the world. I don't know how old you are, but you couldn't walk a mile in a Jets fans shoes. You'd turn around and crawl back from whence you came. 

I'm a good ol' rebel, and I'd rather die with my boots on than live another day kissing Green Bay's ass. 

Beat it.

Amen!! 

As I mentioned earlier, I think the Packers are in a stare down with the wrong man! I fully trust in JD and truthfully, I hope he stares them down to eternity 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

That’s one side of the argument.  We have our own homers that think you should pay a kings ransom.   Truth is both sides need each other.   You know you can’t make him sound like an expensive old fart with one foot in the grave one minute and the next be excited about power rankings and national tv appearances.   If you stay status quo at QB again this year you’ll be watching all your games at one pm and likely missing the playoffs again.    Both sides need this not just mine

This is correct, Rodgers does not make the big declaration on the mcafee show unless he knows that jets have promised to get him.

If Jet fans think a huge victory here is to let the packers get screwed by dropping out of Rodgers that is the ultimate in cutting off your nose to spite your face.  The only other 100% long shot the jets have is to suddenly go after lamar jackson.  Other than that the jets are screwed, virtually any QB with a pulse is gone.

There is no world where the Jets can trot out Zac Wilson as starter next year, and the packers know it.

Early in the process the packers had no leverage at all and the jets had a ton when there were viable alternatives. 

In the end the deal will get done both sides have too much to lose.  The Packers will get less than they hoped and the Jets will give up more than they hoped.

• Upvote 3

The Aaron Rodgers/Packers contract is very, very confusing.  But, assuming a trade of Rodgers to the Jets.

• When Rodgers is traded, the cap hit from his bonus in 2022 is accelerated.  That is a $40mm cap hit.  If they trade him after June 1, that can be divided $16mm in 2023 and $24mm in 2024.  Maybe this is what the hubbub is about. 
  • When Rodgers is traded, the Packers are off the hook for his $60mm guaranteed salary in 2023, which can be paid in the form of an option bonus. 
  • Now the Jets own Rodgers.  They pay him $60mm before September 1.  The cap hit for that is $15mm a year for four years.  Easy peasy.  
  • Its 2024, Rodgers wants to retire.  He does that after June 1, so the Jets take a dead cap hit of $22.5mm in each of 2024 and 2025.
  • Its 2024, Rodgers wants to play.  He gets paid another $50mm for 2024.  The cap hit is $17mm in 2024, plus another $15mm for the bonus in 2023.  He is still cheap.
  • Its 2025, Rodgers finally wants to retire.  The Jets have to account for $30mm and $34mm on their cap (the leftovers from the two bonuses.  They spread that over 2025 and 2026.  I play QB for the Jets.  
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I keep seeing the national ESPN/NFLN goons try to make the point, “Haha what are the Jets going to do for a quarterback if it isn’t Aaron Rodgers? Tell their fans they’re going into a season with nobody at the position?” And I’m like Ice Cube Reaction GIF

McFarland is the driving force at ESPN on this with Stephen A not far behind.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is correct, Rodgers does not make the big declaration on the mcafee show unless

Rodgers was careful to use the words "intend to play...it's my intent to play for the NY Jets"

This language wasn't a declaration, just a statement of intent, which doesn't necessarily mean anything. As in, I went to the store intending to buy some avocados to make a killer guac to accompany Taco Tuesday in the Vader Household, but a funny thing happened as I was at the store intending to buy them. I saw the price, and they were't ripe anyway. The clerk would have had to jump through hoops to find the ripe ones in the freezer. So, while I intended to buy avocados, I didn't actually buy them.

Rodgers has no authority to declare he's playing for the jets. But he can express his intention to do so, and doing so acknowledges there are obstacles in the way of bringing his intention to fruition.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Vader said:

Rodgers was careful to use the words "intend to play...it's my intent to play for the NY Jets" -- however to was actually phrased. 

This language wasn't a declaration, just a statement of intent, which doesn't necessarily mean anything. As in, I went to the store intending to buy some avocados to make a killer guac to accompany Taco Tuesday in the Vader Household, but a funny thing happened as I was at the store intending to buy them. I saw the price, and they were't ripe anyway. The clerk would have had to jump through hoops to find the ripe ones in the freezer. So, while I intended to buy avocados, I didn't actually buy them.

Rodgers has no authority to declare he's playing for the jets. But he can express his intention to do so, and doing so acknowledges there are obstacles in the way of bringing his intention to fruition.

I agree that Rodgers does not, theoretically, have a say in this, but I also think you are looking to much into that comment. He "intends" to play because he can only tell both teams what he wants. It is up to them to reach an agreement in a trade.

Him saying he "intends" to play is appropriate given he is still under contract with the Packers. I see that comment as a giant "F you" to the Packers. Trade me because I fully intend on playing for a different team 

• Upvote 2

Yeah. I wasn’t aware it was 6th last year.   Just looks much worse this year.   I’m thinking Miami will be better if Tua isn’t hurt.   Patriots probably better.   AFC west and NFC east will certainly be tougher than the NFC north and AFC North

Because if the division it will always be a top ten schedule, and there will always be surprise teams both ways. So hard in the nfl to predict.

29 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I agree that Rodgers does not, theoretically, have a say in this, but I also think you are looking to much into that comment. He "intends" to play because he can only tell both teams what he wants. It is up to them to reach an agreement in a trade.

Him saying he "intends" to play is appropriate given he is still under contract with the Packers. I see that comment as a giant "F you" to the Packers. Trade me because I fully intend on playing for a different team 

AdmiredLittleBergerpicard-size_restricte

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Vader said:

Rodgers was careful to use the words "intend to play...it's my intent to play for the NY Jets"

I don;t believe for a minute his undying love of the ny jets is the reason he 'chose' the jets.  We are the only team who showed interest, we talked to him and said we are getting you and lazard and moving forward.

Rodgers is not the type to just spout something like that and look silly if there is no trade.