Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

16 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

The difference is that Favre came over and adjusted to the Jets offense that had been in place for three years.  While Rodgers and Lazard know the offense, nobody else does.  Working and gaining chemistry with the receivers and the O line while they learn the offense will speed up the success timeline.  If Rodgers jumps out of a helicopter and runs onto the field just in time for the first game, we are going to be disappointed in the immediate results.

I think everybody would prefer that he gets here sooner rather than later, but for me that is not at the expense of upping the compensation.  If he jumps out of that helicopter it is not the end of the world.  IMO Favre did basically that and that team finished 9-7 even after losing 4 of their last 5. 

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the latter is far more likely. It could be a game of chicken until after the Jets make their selection at #13. 

Well if they do this then there's no whining to be done about our 1st rounder this year, lol. Plus I can't see even next year's being a 1st unless some major incentives are hit (including team incentives, with Rodgers healthy + QBing them to those wins), and even then it'd likely come along with them eating a chunk of his pay.

I can also see the Jets trading down hard from #13 to add another 2nd (New Orleans?) if a team is smitten with a need-now prospect at 13. Also however unlikely, trading down to the bottom few picks to get that team's #1 next year. It's happened, but it's less common, and would also depend how much a prospect sitting there at 13 is such a lock & key hole-filler for the Jets this season. If they're really thinking center early, they may as well - and should - trade down 15-20 slots first.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Jets traded for Favre in August and people around here think that was a super bowl team by November.  He had never played under any of the coaches, or played with anybody on that team except Bubba Franks who was behind Keller and Baker, IIRC.  Meanwhile, Rodgers played under Hackett in 2020 and 2021 and won MVP both seasons and has Lazard, his #1 receiver from last season. 

The difference is that we'll likely never find another Brett Ratliff

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on how negotiations are going right now?

Think JD and Gut are on the phone every day perhaps multiple times a day trying to get a deal done?

or

It’s a stand off and it’s no communication. JD saying you know our best offer and Gut saying it’s not enough and they don’t talk for days?

A deal may be done or extremely close to done but cannot be executed because the Jets lack the cap space. The Jets have $8MM which is not enough money to pay for Rodgers, let alone signing draft picks. The trade may be hung up on other deals Douglas needs to make to create room to sign Rodgers. I don't think the Jets can even sign Rodgers onto the roster unless they have the cap space first or Rodgers renegotiates with the Packers to get under the Jets cap. 

Even if the Jets had no desire to rope in another QB this year, Douglas needs most of the current cap space for rookie signings. If nothing changes, the Jets will go into training camp with $3MM in cap space. Not much room to fill any other voids in the roster, let alone a $30MM QB.

• WTF? 1

42 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

The difference is that Favre came over and adjusted to the Jets offense that had been in place for three years.  While Rodgers and Lazard know the offense, nobody else does.  Working and gaining chemistry with the receivers and the O line while they learn the offense will speed up the success timeline.  If Rodgers jumps out of a helicopter and runs onto the field just in time for the first game, we are going to be disappointed in the immediate results.

So much wrong about this post. When Favre cave under the adjusted the entire offense to him and what he was doing in GB. The Jets offense will be learning the new offense the everything offseason. Having Rodgers in mini camp will only help Wilson, nobody else. And who gives a **** about Wilson at this point?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

they will need to remove the draconian cap hit that will occur before the season starts if Rodgers is there.  Jason from OTC did a neat video on how catastrophic the hit will be if Rodgers remains.  They desperately need another team to absorb some.  Plus if no deal by the draft, the Green Bay fans will freak out that they didn't get a 2023 draft pick.  Getting fired may not be an issue for thise guys, but there are severe pressures there that you are overlooking.  IOW, your take is incomplete and likely biased.

Sure, but what if the worst possible thing happens—the Jets are forced to trade multiple first round picks for Aaron Rodgers whose osteoporosis overwhelms his fragile, geriatric body and he dies on the field after seeing his career passer rating mysteriously drop by 20% because reasons? And then we’re $80 mil over the cap because of Rodgers’ onerous contract that Joe Douglas won’t know about until it’s too late? 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sure, but what if the worst possible thing happens—the Jets are forced to trade multiple first round picks for Aaron Rodgers whose osteoporosis overwhelms his fragile, geriatric body and he dies on the field after seeing his career passer rating mysteriously drop by 20% because reasons? And then we’re $80 mil over the cap because of Rodgers’ onerous contract that Joe Douglas won’t know about until it’s too late? 

star wars hate GIF

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

So I googled him, and apparently there are two Mark Murphy’s. One is the bald ex-Packer, the other is wearing a wig.

F2CB4E6E-35DF-4CF4-A931-2D10F32EB7EB.jpeg

F7B68415-D0F8-4888-95D2-4BED23355357.jpeg

Lol.   The ex packer is not ur guy.   Ur looking for a Redskins safety from the 80’s

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think everybody would prefer that he gets here sooner rather than later, but for me that is not at the expense of upping the compensation.  If he jumps out of that helicopter it is not the end of the world.  IMO Favre did basically that and that team finished 9-7 even after losing 4 of their last 5. 

Ehhhh 8-3 before he tore his biceps. Jets were the best team in the NFL to that point

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well if they do this then there's no whining to be done about our 1st rounder this year, lol. Plus I can't see even next year's being a 1st unless some major incentives are hit (including team incentives, with Rodgers healthy + QBing them to those wins), and even then it'd likely come along with them eating a chunk of his pay.

Packers have 10 draft picks this year, I could see them waiting til after June 1st to clear some cap to eat a portion of that bonus in order to get the 2024 first rounder.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Packers have 10 draft picks this year, I could see them waiting til after June 1st to clear some cap to eat a portion of that bonus in order to get the 2024 first rounder.

Personally, I would give them the 2024 1st round pick, if that’s all they want. It’s a late pick hopefully and we can have this entire 2023 draft to fill the holes for what might be a very good season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

A deal may be done or extremely close to done but cannot be executed because the Jets lack the cap space. The Jets have $8MM which is not enough money to pay for Rodgers, let alone signing draft picks. The trade may be hung up on other deals Douglas needs to make to create room to sign Rodgers. I don't think the Jets can even sign Rodgers onto the roster unless they have the cap space first or Rodgers renegotiates with the Packers to get under the Jets cap. 

Even if the Jets had no desire to rope in another QB this year, Douglas needs most of the current cap space for rookie signings. If nothing changes, the Jets will go into training camp with $3MM in cap space. Not much room to fill any other voids in the roster, let alone a $30MM QB.

We have plenty of cap flexibility. We have 12mill in cap right now and can easily shed 30-40mill easily with Davis, Lawson and Whitehead. Cap has nothing to do with any hold up on our end.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Ehhhh 8-3 before he tore his biceps. Jets were the best team in the NFL to that point

I would dispute that, but you are actually helping my point.  Favre had 3 weeks of prep with a team running a system he was less familiar with that Rodgers will be and it didn't exactly take the whole season to get rolling. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

This thread has become an endurance test of redundancy. 

I'm here till the bloody end by god !

I’m thoroughly bored. The suspense was gone after “I intend to play for the New York Jets.” 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

I have been wondering if maybe the hold up the Jets want GB to pay the bonus money and carry on their cap before the trade is executed and GB wants Jets to pay.....and if not that something to do with $$$ cant imagine splitting hairs for this long over the picks but could be picks as well.

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I have been wondering if maybe the hold up the Jets want GB to pay the bonus money and carry on their cap before the trade is executed and GB wants Jets to pay.....and if not that something to do with $$$ cant imagine splitting hairs for this long over the picks but could be picks as well.

Confused Confusion GIF

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I would dispute that, but you are actually helping my point.  Favre had 3 weeks of prep with a team running a system he was less familiar with that Rodgers will be and it didn't exactly take the whole season to get rolling. 

Yes, that I completely agree with. I was moreso commenting on that final sentence about the 9 wins. Was still a worth while swing IMO and I'd definitely try to do it again

On 3/6/2023 at 10:43 AM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Carr close to signing with the Saints tells me the first domino has fallen, but has yet to be announced.  

The Jets know this and so does Carr.

So when will Rodgers to the Jets be announced?  My guess is today or tomorrow.  It really makes no sense waiting further ..

What will be the cost?  2nd round 2023 and a 2024 conditional pick (3rd to as high as 1st).

Rodgers will agree to shave $10M off his contract and the Packers will agree to eat $20M for a better trade.

Why will this happen?  Because Rodgers has worn out his welcome with the Pack + he will not just leave close to $60M on the table + the Jets are pursuing him most aggressively + he's a good match with Hackett + he saw first hand that the Jets have a top tier defense + his ego sees finishing his career with a parade down Broadway

What will I do if it doesn't happen?  Sky dive with a faulty parachute onto Joe Douglas' front lawn

Aaron Rogers to the Jets Rumor...

Discuss...

• Haha 3

This will hit critical mass, when GB "trades" ie dumps AR's salary onto the Jets and get a 3rd round pick in return. That's it. Unless they want to give the Jets one of their tackles that can start for the Jets, that's all they are going to get. Take it or leave it. You want our first, then give us an offensive lineman that can start. Because this deal doesn't make sense if we can't improve our offensive line. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

If JD does trade away our 2nd, I would expect #149 and a 7th in return. We need to keep at least 6 picks this draft for depth players.

GB
First round, No. 15 overall

Second round, No. 45 overall
Third round, No. 78 overall
Fourth round, No. 116 overall
Fifth round, No. 149 overall
Fifth round, No. 170 overall (compensatory)
Seventh round, No. 232 overall

Seventh round, No. 235 overall (from LAR)
Seventh round, No. 242 overall (from JAX)
Seventh round, No. 256 overall (compensatory)

New York Jets Draft Picks by Round in 2023

• Round 1, Pick 13 overall
  • Round 2, Pick 43 overall
  • Round 3, Pick 74 overall
  • Round 4, Pick 112 overall
  • Round 5, Pick 143 overall
  • Round 6, Pick 207 overall

• Upvote 1

Green Bay is ready to move on into the Jordan Love era. They have a sh*t ton of draft picks. The only thing standing in their way is Aaron Rodgers and his obscene contract. 

We are graciously offering to take that obscene contract. We are willing to give them another draft pick. Just not the one. 

If they want the one, then throw in an offensive lineman that can start for the Jets. This isn't hard. 

Maybe it's a done deal and GB just needs to wait until June. If that's the case, then just say it. Stop jerking us around, you sheepshaggers.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, Green DNA said:

What stops Rogers from inviting his friends to So. Cal. for workouts? As long as coach’s aren’t around I think that’s possible.

• Upvote 1