Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

18 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Ummm it's beneficial to us though. Douglas is trying to get protection in the case that he retires after only 1 year

I wonder how actively Rodgers is involved, by way of his agent? I can see Rodgers wanting all 3 of those top 43 picks retained. He has a large say in how these negotiations transpire.

He could issue a statement that he is reconsidering his retirement and basically stall contracts negotiations past this years Draft then state afterwards that he will be showing up to GB OTA.

Better yet, he could say he will be reporting to camp on April 17th. Either way, he controls the narrative on behalf of the Jets

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Favre had this team ranked 1st in the AFC at 8-3.  Vinny led us to the only 12-win season in franchise history.  Sure they ended in disaster but the highs were higher.  And Rodgers is, of course, better than both of them were.  

Sign me the f**k up.  

You say that now but check back in 2025 

I thought JD's whole thing was building a program, and doing things the right way 

selling it all for 1 year of Aaron Rodgers is the opposite of all that 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I do not see how a second round draft pick is going to change the fortunes of this franchise. A veteran, accomplished QB might.

I like the chances better of that qb doing that, than some unknown 2nd round acne faced rookie.

I may be wrong.

Last five guys drafted at 42:

Mike Gesicki

Drew Lock

Laviska Shenault

Liam Eichenberg

Andrew Booth

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

RJF said all this already, but a.) I really don't get this impulse that I'm not allowed to criticize the current plan unless I can come up with a better one, especially since b1.) there is no good plan when you draft an unplayable QB with the second overall pick and when b2.) you have an owner who doesn't believe in playoff mandates but has very clearly given this group a playoff mandate. But just for fun (and even though I've explained this several times already), in a perfect world--i.e., a world in which the owner either fired the current group or gave them enough job security to build the team--I probably just would have signed Carr. I would also be in favor of signing Jacoby Brissett and drafting somebody this year; I don't particularly like anyone from this crop, but I've been very very very wrong on that sort of thing many times before, so I won't go to war on it.

As I've also said multiple times, this argument essentially boils down to 90% of the board agreeing with you that Rodgers "instantly gives us top 5 SB odds" and me being part of the other 10%.

Well, while someone complaining about the current plan never HAS TO propose viable alternatives, doing so certainly helps the complaints get taken more seriously.  Thank you! 

I agree about Carr and probably would have been very happy to sign him, but I also am not sure he would have come here over NO - he did visit them first, so I wonder. 

and I would be totally down to draft a QB with a mid round pick this year or next, I’m just not sure why trading for Rodgers precludes us from doing that? If you are gonna bring in Brissett as a temporary stopgap while you scout longterm replacements in the draft, why not go for Rodgers who has a much higher upside? I don’t really see the point of Brissett (who is a fine player in his own right). 

also, when I brought up SB odds, I wasn’t talking about my own expectations, I was talking about the actual odds set in Vegas. Like it or not, the Jets currently have the sixth best odds to win the SB according to Ceaser’s sports book, among others. Do I necessarily agree with that? No, I still think the Bills win the division and if things go well we will get a wildcard, but it does show you that people take the idea of Rodgers paired with a good defense seriously. 

• Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

not the urgency right now but the Packers need to move Rodgers before the season starts. I don't see much difference.

Maybe you should research the jets own urgency.   Again the horse has been beaten.   The jets had leverage and the packers had none in 2008

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There was a solid streak of years where they were hitting the ball out of the park on fourth rounders for a while. Maybe they should just go back to that.

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Leon Washington popped into my head. 

Cotchery, Brad Smith, Kerry Rhodes.  Bilal Powell a few years later.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Maybe you should research the jets own urgency.   Again the horse has been beaten.   The jets had leverage and the packers had none in 2008

The Jets don't have to have Rodgers. They really want to, but there are other (less attractive) options.

The packers have to trade Rodgers and so far as I can tell we're the only option for that.

Both sides want the deal. the Packers need it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I wonder how actively Rodgers is involved, by way of his agent? I can see Rodgers wanting all 3 of those top 43 picks retained. He has a large say in how these negotiations transpire.

He could issue a statement that he is reconsidering his retirement and basically stall contracts negotiations past this years Draft then state afterwards that he will be showing up to GB OTA.

Better yet, he could say he will be reporting to camp on April 17th. Either way, he controls the narrative on behalf of the Jets

He also wants to walk back through the tunnel in five years to have his number retired and his name in the ring of honor at Lambeau and not have beers thrown at him.   

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I thought JD's whole thing was building a program, and doing things the right way 

I thought your whole thing was the fact that the Jets don’t go all in enough? Now that they are going all in, you don’t like that either? 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

what exactly is selling it all?  a couple 2nd round picks?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I can see him living his best life because he knows it be handled. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It is actually very relevant when you're directly comparing the GMs and almost exact trade scenario. Much more relevant that the damn money supply and inflation. like, wtf dude.

if you want to point out other 40 year old about to retire every offseason QB trades that have gone down since then please share. otherwise, that's the comp. I don't think you could find a better comp to work from.

I’m not disagreeing that the value we likely get him at is an overpay. I’m saying that the situations are different.

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd feel better about the reported compensation if the Jets got a 2023 3rd back. As it's reported, sounds like JD is getting worked.

Depends on the conditions of the picks. If he plays one year and takes the jets to the afccg or something I really don’t care what it costs. The offense went 4 weeks without a TD during a playoff push last season 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

and I would be totally down to draft a QB with a mid round pick this year or next, I’m just not sure why trading for Rodgers precludes us from doing that? If you are gonna bring in Brissett as a temporary stopgap while you scout longterm replacements in the draft, why not go for Rodgers who has a much higher upside? I don’t really see the point of Brissett (who is a fine player in his own right). 

I meant signing Brissett and drafting a guy in the first. We should absolutely take a mid-round QB no matter what.

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

What are you losing by bringing in Rodgers? All our major contributors don't get big money until Rodgers dead cap is off the books.

Maybe you lose Becton and Mims?

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I meant signing Brissett and drafting a guy in the first. We should absolutely take a mid-round QB no matter what.

I’ll be very surprised if they do. I suspect that they’ll be loading up for a year or two run, then worry about Rodgers’ replacement when he’s gone. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Ahh ok. There’s not a QB I would take at 13, unless Stroud fell that far. But, like you, I am seeing all the time about college prospects so who knows. 

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Depends on the conditions of the picks. If he plays one year and takes the jets to the afccg or something I really don’t care what it costs. The offense went 4 weeks without a TD during a playoff push last season 

I'm fine w/paying the reported cost because it's a shot worth taking but I can't help but feel like it's overpaying by a bit. Not a lot, but we have precedent for the exact same deal and it wasn't that much.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

When you say “selling it all” - what do you actually mean? Sounds scary on the surface, but what are you actually “selling” to bring Rodgers in? A second round pick? Two second round picks?? 

A lot of the reservation about Rodgers seems to be based on a fear of mortgaging the future for short term success, but the truth is, Rodgers isn’t going to cost THAT much, and therefore, it’s not clear what future we would be giving up to get him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

A pick swap of #13 and #15 equates to 3rd round value.

Could mean Jets missing out on the OT of their choice though.

Noticed the Yahoo! report does not include this.

I’m not interested in a pick swap. That gives GB who I now dislike and NE who I dislike both chances to grab our player.

Just now, slimjasi said:

When you say “selling it all” - what do you actually mean? Sounds scary on the surface, but what are you actually “selling” to bring Rodgers in? A second round pick? Two second round picks?? 

A lot of the reservation about Rodgers seems to be based on a fear of mortgaging the future for short term success, but the truth is, Rodgers isn’t going to cost THAT much, and therefore, it’s not clear what future we would be giving up to get him. 

while i'm ok with going after rodgers for the reported cost (full disclosure: signing carr was my top choice), there is also the cost of dead cap space.  obviously they can restructure contracts, but as it stands, if rodgers only plays 1 year, the jets have about $44MM of dead cap to take in either 2024 or split between 24/25.  if he plays 2 years, there actually would be an even great dead cap hit (again pending a restructuring of his contract).

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm fine w/paying the reported cost because it's a shot worth taking but I can't help but feel like it's overpaying by a bit. Not a lot, but we have precedent for the exact same deal and it wasn't that much.

Ya seems like we’re just losing out on these trades. Traded Moore for whats the value of an early 3rd rounder and then maybe giving up 43 and likely a 2024 1st for a 39 year old that we might only have for a year. Even if we get GB to give us something if he retires. It’s likely not anything in the 1st 2 rounds. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m not interested in a pick swap. That gives GB who I now dislike and NE who I dislike both chances to grab our player.

It’s all about value. A pick swap of 13 for 15 is worth less than a second round pick. So, if GB would do that, I’m down 

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

while i'm ok with going after rodgers for the reported cost (full disclosure: signing carr was my top choice), there is also the cost of dead cap space.  obviously they can restructure contracts, but as it stands, if rodgers only plays 1 year, the jets have about $44MM of dead cap to take in either 2024 or split between 24/25.  if he plays 2 years, there actually would be an even great dead cap hit (again pending a restructuring of his contract).

If the big worry is dead cap space for a couple of years, we are already past the point of the term “selling it all” making any sense. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya seems like we’re just losing out on these trades. Traded Moore for whats the value of an early 3rd rounder and then maybe giving up 43 and likely a 2024 1st for a 39 year old that we might only have for a year. Even if we get GB to give us something if he retires. It’s likely not anything in the 1st 2 rounds. 

Based on his first two years in the league, why is Moore worth more than an early third rounder? 

• Sympathy 1

Our best players are all still under 25. We have a future after Rodgers. Trading a 2nd and a conditional 1st/2nd wont handicap our future. The key will be to groom QBs behind Rodgers. We have two years to figure it out.

I’m pro trading back to the 20’s (if possible) and picking up an extra second. Use the first two picks on OT and C. Use the additional pick on a QB.

Rodgers, Zach, Rookie