Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

27 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

The Packers eating the contract and not trading him out of spite would be the dumbest move the GM could make. Especially with the rationale that he is on the hot seat.

More picks is better than no picks. Every time.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how that puts your job less at risk than taking what you feel is less than he's worth.

Ultimately, he's worth what the market bears out for him. It'd be different if they had teams banging down their door to acquire him but he said "no, only the Jets". Jets are the team that's interested, they're the team they can trade him to, there's not a better offer on the table from someone else where Rodgers doesn't want to play that they're trying to get closer to.

That said I also hope Joe Douglas is as stubborn as Bakhtiari proposes the Packers could become.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

Thanks for posting the clip I posted where he says he's going to be Jet but maybe not and he retires. 

My favorite part of the interview is where he says “The Packers are rebuilding now. They can say what they want, but they’re a rebuilding team.” Just oozing with confidence in Jordan Love, baby.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My favorite part of the interview is where he says “The Packers are rebuilding now. They can say what they want, but they’re a rebuilding team.” Just oozing with confidence in Jordan Love, baby.

And as a rebuilding team, obviously the best path forward is to get 0 draft capital for Rodgers, hold him out of spite, and incur massive cap hits in future years which will further limit your ability to rebuild. This plan is 100% believable, really...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This

Almost came off as if Bakhtiari himself isn’t even a Packer anymore and was looking at it from an outside perspective.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Green Bay may want to wait until after the draft?? They’re going to let us make 3 picks in the top 43 then trade him to us anyway?

Is this really a thing now? That sounds absolutely fantastic and an awful decision for Green Bay. The picks coming from the Jets next draft will be significantly lower in the draft order

yup

plus there's a decent chance some other veteran QBs become available after the draft (hypothetically, say tennessee trades up to grab a QB, tannehill could be available for cheap), giving joe more leverage in what 2024 picks he's willing to part with

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Green Bay may want to wait until after the draft?? They’re going to let us make 3 picks in the top 43 then trade him to us anyway?

Is this really a thing now? That sounds absolutely fantastic and an awful decision for Green Bay. The picks coming from the Jets next draft will be significantly lower in the draft orde

Exactly.

Where do I sign for GB letting us use all of our draft capital this year and THEN trading Aaron Rodgers to us? 

• Upvote 1

Is the Packers GM that stupid? 

OK let Douglas use both 2d rounders along with 1st rd and trade  Rodgers later and get nada for 2023 draft?

Count me in for that.  Green Bay pretending they have any alternative is comedy gold.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This

Almost came off as if Bakhtiari himself isn’t even a Packer anymore and was looking at it from an outside perspective.

Yep - if you didn’t know he was a packer, you would never figure it out from that interview. I was actually taken aback by some of the stuff he said and his overall tone. 

• Upvote 1

Is there any chance the Jets and the Packers are working the system?

Packers don't want to officially trade Rodgers before June 1st to help spread the cap hit out.

The Jets and the Packers have already agreed that the compensation is what everyone anticipates - #43 this year and a conditional next year.

When it's the Jets "turn" to pick at 43 - the Packers call the Jets, and tell them who to pick.

Trade goes through on June 1st and the Packers get whoever the pick was at 43 plus the conditional next year.

• Upvote 2

Great article here **WARNING SENSITIVE JD TRUTHERS** :  https://www.ganggreennation.com/2023/4/11/23677688/the-2023-new-york-jets-offseason-is-this-what-all-in-is-supposed-to-look-like

????

“I get that quarterback is the most important spot on the field but are we really opting to operate like this team was so close to greatness that they were ONLY a quarterback away? 

Just seems foolish to me. If you’re going to opt in to deal with the fallout that will come with the Rodgers retirement then where is the urgency to maximize the window that having him provides? If it’s present then I’m sure not seeing it.

So, Mr. Douglas, all of this to say... please tell me you have something else up your sleeve because a Wild Card berth and then a good little playoff stomping in our 18th game really isn’t going to leave me wowed.“ 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Packers don't want to officially trade Rodgers before June 1st to help spread the cap hit out.

The Jets and the Packers have already agreed that the compensation is what everyone anticipates - #43 this year and a conditional next year.

When it's the Jets "turn" to pick at 43 - the Packers call the Jets, and tell them who to pick.

Trade goes through on June 1st and the Packers get whoever the pick was at 43 plus the conditional next year.

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

8 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Can’t they just do the trade now and make it official in June? 

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Great article here **WARNING SENSITIVE JD TRUTHERS** :  https://www.ganggreennation.com/2023/4/11/23677688/the-2023-new-york-jets-offseason-is-this-what-all-in-is-supposed-to-look-like

????

“I get that quarterback is the most important spot on the field but are we really opting to operate like this team was so close to greatness that they were ONLY a quarterback away? 

Just seems foolish to me. If you’re going to opt in to deal with the fallout that will come with the Rodgers retirement then where is the urgency to maximize the window that having him provides? If it’s present then I’m sure not seeing it.

So, Mr. Douglas, all of this to say... please tell me you have something else up your sleeve because a Wild Card berth and then a good little playoff stomping in our 18th game really isn’t going to leave me wowed.“ 

@FidelioJet should have posted this.  It is basically what he posted in the other thread and IMO it is nonsense.  They are trying to get Rodgers.  They will need cap room to take Rodgers on.  Once he is here there will be plenty of moves to make.  Literally dozens.  The draft, cap casualties, guys like DeAndre Hopkins that are on the trade market.  There will be more (Devin White, etc).   It would be irresponsible to act like Rodgers is here when he is not and to make a bunch of moves before necessary. 

They have had a ton of guys in.  They will probably still be there after the draft.  Al Woods, Fant, Kwon Alexander, McGovern, Zeke Elliott.  Thinking that we are making some philosophical mistake for not throwing $25M at OBJ and Calais Campbell is just dumb.  They need to retain some flexibility and it may matter what they get in the draft.  If get JSN then Hopkins is less important, Schmitz they don't need McGovern, one of the tackles at #13 means no room for Fant, Mazi Smith, less reason to pay Al Woods.  They had a bunch of guys like this last year.  Reiff and Ogunjobi went elsewhere, but they signed Kwon and Duane Brown, and Morgan Moses the year prior.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

People here literally mocked me for saying how foolish it was for JD to close the door on other QB options publicly. It made no sense especially when you consider you are in a bidding war with a stubborn party.

The irony is more people are disappointed with JDs Fan comments but the Lamar ones WERE WORST for these negotiations 

11 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I don't think they can formally trade a 2023 draft pick to the Packers but then have the trade not officially take place until June 1.

I could very easily be wrong...but if this were an option it seems like someone in the know like a Florio, would have brought this option up after all the weeks of speculation. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

People here literally mocked me for saying how foolish it was for JD to close the door on other QB options publicly. It made no sense especially when you consider you are in a bidding war with a stubborn party.

The irony is more people are disappointed with JDs Fan comments but the Lamar ones WERE WORST for these negotiations 

A bidding war requires multiple bidders.  There is no war.  For the Packers there is what we will offer and doom.  But, sure let's hurry up and give them whatever they want so that the message boards are not upset with the Jets front office.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

@FidelioJet should have posted this.  It is basically what he posted in the other thread and IMO it is nonsense.  They are trying to get Rodgers.  They will need cap room to take Rodgers on.  Once he is here there will be plenty of moves to make.  Literally dozens.  The draft, cap casualties, guys like DeAndre Hopkins that are on the trade market.  There will be more (Devin White, etc).   It would be irresponsible to act like Rodgers is here when he is not and to make a bunch of moves before necessary. 

They have had a ton of guys in.  They will probably still be there after the draft.  Al Woods, Fant, Kwon Alexander, McGovern, Zeke Elliott.  Thinking that we are making some philosophical mistake for not throwing $25M at OBJ and Calais Campbell is just dumb.  They need to retain some flexibility and it may matter what they get in the draft.  If get JSN then Hopkins is less important, Schmitz they don't need McGovern, one of the tackles at #13 means no room for Fant, Mazi Smith, less reason to pay Al Woods.  They had a bunch of guys like this last year.  Reiff and Ogunjobi went elsewhere, but they signed Kwon and Duane Brown, and Morgan Moses the year prior.  

“Once he is here there will be plenty of moves  to make”  HUH?

How can anyone say this when we don’t know when Rodgers will become a Jet, what if this thing plays out up until the deadline of the 60m payment?????

It’s like some Jets fans would love for us to live in this theoretical Jet world and I’m not with it at all sorry 

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

I don't think they can formally trade a 2023 draft pick to the Packers but then have the trade not officially take place until June 1.

I could very easily be wrong...but if this were an option it seems like someone in the know like a Florio, would have brought this option up after all the weeks of speculation. 

You are correct.  You can release a guy before June 1 and designate him a June 1 cut and spread the cap, but you cannot designate a trade post-June 1.  If the deal will involve 2023 draft picks, it needs to be done before or during the draft.

I do think at this point it happens during the first two days of the draft, with couple of alternative scenarios depending on how the draft plays out.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

A bidding war requires multiple bidders.  There is no war.  For the Packers there is what we will offer and doom.  But, sure let's hurry up and give them whatever they want so that the message boards are not upset with the Jets front office.

Haggling war*********

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

“Once he is here there will be plenty of moves  to make”  HUH?

How can anyone say this when we don’t know when Rodgers will become a Jet, what if this thing plays out up until the deadline of the 60m payment?????

It’s like some Jets fans would love for us to live in this theoretical Jet world and I’m not with it at all sorry 

Too bad the Jets were unable to add starters at CB, WR, RB, LT, LB and DE on April 28, or later, in 2022!

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

It’s like some of you are programmed to just mindlessly defend this organization

I am not mindlessly defending them.  There is a good chance they are ******* this up.  OTOH, if you want Rodgers this is the way to go.  Don't overpay.  Don't ship them a first and certainly don't pay OBJ in excess of $18M.  Any analysis complaining about not OVERPAYING free agents is moronic.  There are a bunch of guys I mentioned they can still get.  Take this team and add Rodgers, Baktiari, Hopkins, Al Woods, and still have 13 and a pick in the 40s.  That is not good enough? 

28 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So, in theory you're agreeing with my premise.

Except you think my concerns are just a bit premature and the major roster upgrades will happen post trade?

Because I can live with that assessment - maybe I am reacting too soon.  I sure hope so.

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Too bad the Jets were unable to add starters at CB, WR, RB, LT, LB and DE on April 28, or later, in 2022!

We see a roster that adding Rodgers still does not go deep in the playoffs.

But say the Jets get lucky at OT and rolling with Brown, Becton, Mitchell, and whomever else (let’s say Fant) does not backfire. 

Let’s say the Jets draft a WR at 13, which is probably the best value in the draft.

42 is a C.  43 is a LB or S.  4th round is a LB, S or RB.  

Corey Davis is cut, Lawson is cap extended.  

The gamble at QB2 and assume Wilson can play it.  We draft at developmental QB in round 5+.

AVT is back.

The roster looks much better now.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

But say the Jets get lucky at OT and rolling with Brown, Becton, Mitchell, and whomever else (let’s say Fant) does not backfire. 

Let’s say the Jets draft a WR at 13, which is probably the best value in the draft.

The gamble at QB2 and assume Wilson can play it.  We draft at developmental QB in round 5+.

AVT is back.

I love the idea of Zach at 2 with a rookie brought in to develop.

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

AVT is back.

Sorry @varjet  edited because I quoted the wrong post

I don't think  they are done with the roster.  I think they are waiting on getting Rodgers in and fitting him and his contract and then filling everything up.  I don't think the holes are as glaring as everyone else.  The guys they added on the Oline are a decent floor.  Try to improve, but we might be better with them and a stud WR.  More importantly, I think that it will be better to go after people after Rodgers is on board.  They will know the cap and I think it will be easier to say - "Hey, Aaron if you knock $5M off this year we can add Hopkins" than to get Hopkins now and then try to get Rodgers to drop his salary.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, in theory you're agreeing with my premise.

Except you think my concerns are just a bit premature and the major roster upgrades will happen post trade?

Because I can live with that assessment - maybe I am reacting too soon.  I sure hope so.

What is your premise?  It read like we lost OBJ, OMG!!!!  There will be several starters that are not currently on the roster.  They don't all have to be HOFers.  They can still add McGovern, Joyner, and Fant back.  Flacco too for that matter.  I just don't think the fact that they don't have everything in place on April 12 is an issue.  As long as they have a plan and stick to it, fine.  I don't have to know what it is and if they **** it up, they ****ed it up.  I just don't see it as ****ed up right now.

34 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Interesting. Think you may be right 

29 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What is your premise?  It read like we lost OBJ, OMG!!!!  There will be several starters that are not currently on the roster.  They don't all have to be HOFers.  They can still add McGovern, Joyner, and Fant back.  Flacco too for that matter.  I just don't think the fact that they don't have everything in place on April 12 is an issue.  As long as they have a plan and stick to it, fine.  I don't have to know what it is and if they **** it up, they ****ed it up.  I just don't see it as ****ed up right now.

The premise is the offensive roster beyond GW is below average or unknown (AVT and Hall nothing coming off season ending injuries) 

If you were giving away the capital you're giving away for a 40 year old Rodgers having a below average roster is idiotic.  Rodgers should't be the play then.  If they wanted to keep the roster average - then Rodgers wasn't the way to go.

That is the premise, it really isn't complicated.