Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Love can demand whatever he wants, that doesn't make it so.  These things get smoothed over all the time.

For example, last I checked both Moore and Mims are still Jets.  Both "demanded" trades too.  Demands get ignored all the time.

Again, I hope the cheap-cost IS what happens, and that it happens soon.  I like and support the idea (costly tho it may be) of getting Rodgers for a minimum of two seasons here.  I think it could work, although it is risky because of Rodgers flake status and (lets be honest) laziness in his late career.

I just don't want to see us strung along, miss out on other options, and then not get Rodgers, and wind up starting some JAG or Zach Wilson in 2023.  That's too much to take.

I have the same basic fear, and if this happens, I believe Zach will start a significant proportion of the games for us in 2023. so major yikes. I'm 50/50 as to whether we actually get Rodgers. 

One thing that is making me feel better this morning is that, living in southern Wisconsin, I listen to the local sports guys on the radio. A couple of them have flat out said that they have been told that GB wants to move on from Rodgers - and this mirrors what national guys are saying. At the end of the day, IF (I said IF) it is true that the Packers prefer to move on, I think the Jets meeting with him first gives them a significant advantage. 

A lot of this is feeding his enormous ego and the Jets are clearly willing to do that. 

3 minutes ago, JetPotato said:
  1. Retaining Rodgers pretty clearly isn't an option for Green Bay. Even if they want him back (they don't), he has to agree to do so on his terms, or he retires. He also appears to want to move on to something other than playing there.
  2. The Jets leverage is that they're the only team pursuing Rodgers, and Rodgers is on board. Both things are required. GB knows the Jets will  sign Garoppolo if this doesn't pan out, and they'll get nothing transactionally when Aaron retires now.
  3. Call it desperation all you want, but it is more a lining up of timing. The Jets need for a QB, current roster situation, coaching staff along with GB's and Rodgers' mutual desire to move on makes it a good fit. Rodgers' circumstances in total don't fit any other team really. Good teams have their QBs, bad teams mostly looking to draft and develop a kid. Rodgers fills lots of Jets needs now and they can afford pay the price and will. Flying out there is frankly the smartest way to go about this if he's what you want. It's part of a necessary process for this player. I loathe Woody, but JD is handling this exactly as it should be handled, IMO.

If you're right, I would expect a deal to be done before the opening of the FA period.

So only a few more days to wait.

Put yourself in GB shoes.  You have the same cap hit whether you trade him or he retires. 

So you ask the Jets for 2 number ones.  The Jets say NFW and counter with a 3rd and conditional 1st next year. 

GB can take those 2 picks or get nothing,  That is their choice.  They can't shop the offer as there are no other teams.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

A lot of this is feeding his enormous ego and the Jets are clearly willing to do that. 

And likely not replicating what GB did that pissed him off.

So no QB drafted in 2023 or 2024.

And a very heavy focus on signing/drafting offensive talent/support for the rest of this offseason.

Neither of which I object to, mostly.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

GB can take those 2 picks or get nothing,  That is their choice.  They can't shop the offer as there are no other teams.  

So why even offer anything?  Or why not offer a couple of 7ths?  

I mean if GB is truly as screwed as folks in this thread think, i.e. "must" do it, no options, take it or leave it talk, etc.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

And a very heavy focus on signing/drafting offensive talent/support for the rest of this offseason.

And, like a lot of us have been saying, this is the only scenario where Wilson gets another shot here. And that's what the Jets want. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

would love DHOP off the burnt out Arizona Cardinals for a 3rd or 4th. Can just recoup some picks on a trade back in the 1st.

Just now, slimjasi said:

And, like a lot of us have been saying, this is the only scenario where Wilson gets another shot here. And that's what the Jets want. 

I believe JD does want that, yes.  

But I'd disagree that Rodgers is the only option where that's possible.  Jimmy G. also makes it possible IMO.  As do any of the cheaper tertiary guys, the Minshew's/Mayfield's/Heinicke's.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I have the same basic fear, and if this happens, I believe Zach will start a significant proportion of the games for us in 2023. so major yikes. I'm 50/50 as to whether we actually get Rodgers. 

One thing that is making me feel better this morning is that, living in southern Wisconsin, I listen to the local sports guys on the radio. A couple of them have flat out said that they have been told that GB wants to move on from Rodgers - and this mirrors what national guys are saying. At the end of the day, IF (I said IF) it is true that the Packers prefer to move on, I think the Jets meeting with him first gives them a significant advantage. 

It’s a good plan A to trade for rodgers and go for it for 2-3 years, hope wilson improves and eventually he starts.  Or, wilson continues to suck and they draft someone else to take over for rodgers.

The big question is, what is plan B?  It’s not carr, probably not tannehill.  I can’t imagine them trading for lamar.  It’s probably someone like jimmy G, while maybe drafting someone and praying wilson improves.  

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

If you're right, I would expect a deal to be done before the opening of the FA period.

So only a few more days to wait.

I expect the same. 

Rodgers understands that if he plays, wherever he plays, it's to his advantage to wrap this up sothat  his team can plan and surround him with a supporting cast that gives him a chance of winning (and health).

Green Bay and the Jets want this done too. Any "June 1" stuff GB floats out there will be a bluff to try to squeeze more out of the Jets. To an extent, JD has to comply (which reports here have said he has done), but if GB takes it too far, Rodgers can start to put the screws to them again. "Get it done now or I hang it up" is all it takes. I'm sure he wants a day or two to meditate on it or whatever, even if his mind is made up already, but he's not going to go beyond this weekend.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I believe JD does want that, yes.  

But I'd disagree that Rodgers is the only option where that's possible.  Jimmy G. also makes it possible IMO.  As do any of the cheaper tertiary guys, the Minshew's/Mayfield's/Heinicke's.

Agreed. 

I'd say Rodgers is the most straightforward option for that, though. Mainly because he's almost definitely not playing more than 2 years here and very well may only play one more year. There's also the fact that Wilson supposedly loves the guy. 

But yes, I think they want to give Wilson another shot, regardless of who they sign. One reason I was actually a proponent of Carr was that I thought it lessened the likelihood of them hanging onto Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think it is HIGHLY likely the Jets will draft a QB in 2024. Perhaps even one in a late round in 2023. 

When this gets done, I envision this: Wilson sits and watches Rodgers with everyone hoping for visible development (like what the Packers have seen with Love). That never happens and in the 2024 offseason, a Plan B to Plan B is developed.

JD knows Rodgers stint here will be short. Wilson will be given a shot to develop, but the philosophy will remain: keep buying those lottery tickets. If Wilson still looks totally incompetent in practice by the end of this upcoming season, he's gone.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think we are in a situation that is less about NY Jets vs. GB Packers and more about Aaron Rodgers' wishes.

Clearly.  GB knows this is the last chance it has to trade him and actually get something.  And there is maybe 1 team in the jets that really wants him.  Rodgers is a free spirit and needs to be convinced that going to ny is the right move.  

30 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

looks like we’re bidding against ourselves. Give GB a 3rd and call it a day

It's becoming more and more clear why the Jets were so bullish on this. They've been saying for a while now that if its not GB and he's not retiring, no one will compete with them for his services. The Raiders have a lot of issues - in addition to their cashflow - that make them less likely option... not only is that division a gauntlet, but they have a lot of holes throughout their roster. The rest of the AFC teams needing QBs are far superior situations, and the only one that truly competes with what we have to offer is Miami, who seems committed to their QB. Even in the NFC, there doesn't appear to be a QB needy team that makes sense outside of SF, who are committed to their young QBs...

The Jets have a young talented roster. They offer a situation where the scheme and coaching is familiar and will allow him the latitude to help design it as he sees fit. They are offering him an ability to have a voice in personnel - not only to concede to his wishes but because they do feel adding people cut from that cloth will help continue shaping our culture. It's truly a match and one that makes the most sense in the NFL... it really just comes down to whether Rodgers wants to commit

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I should be clear, I have no idea what WILL happen.

I'm just having a very hard believing the Jets will get A. Rodgers for what amounts to a bag of footballs and his salary costs.

A 2nd and conditional 3rd (rise to 1st) is just not alot of compensation for a HOF-level Franchise QB, old and fickle though he may be.  Sure there is risk, but not that much risk over the term we (the Jets) likely expect him to play (2 seasons).

I thought early on it was going to take two 1sts, the 2023 and 2024, at minimum, and likely some third pick somewhere, a midrounder.

Our resident insiders seem to think the comp is MUCH less.  But I'd expect something like:

1. 2023 1st Round Pick (#13)
2. 2024 2nd Round Pick (Conditional, rises to 1st if X, Y, Z met, games played, doesn't retire by X date, makes playoffs maybe).
3. 2024 4th Round Pick.

That, that's a deal where I'd go "yeah, I expected that much, ouch, but ok".

If we legit get him for much less, that's pretty amazing IMO.

I don't get it. Why do you see there being more compensation for Rodgers than Favre? And GB is MUCH more leveraged this time.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Clearly.  GB knows this is the last chance it has to trade him and actually get something.  And there is maybe 1 team in the jets that really wants him.  Rodgers is a free spirit and needs to be convinced that going to ny is the right move.  

If Rodgers retires that destroys Green Bay financially. GB is done with him and know they won't win another title with him due to their roster. They had their shot for awhile with LaFleur....it didn't work and now it's time to make a break.

They would much rather trade him for "less than market value" than have to pay the rest of that contract for the next few seasons. 

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Agreed. 

I'd say Rodgers is the most straightforward option for that, though. Mainly because he's almost definitely not playing more than 2 years here and very well may only play one more year. There's also the fact that Wilson supposedly loves the guy. 

But yes, I think they want to give Wilson another shot, regardless of who they sign. One reason I was actually a proponent of Carr was that I thought it lessened the likelihood of them hanging onto Wilson. 

To me, keeping Wilson is as much about the FO saving face as it is about any hopes to develop the kid. 

If Rodgers is playing well and enjoys being a Jet - the organization will have no problem with him sticking around and just letting Zach go.

Let's put it this way, if Rodgers works out, not one person will care that JD burned a #2 pick on an all-time bust. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, y2k8 said:

To me, keeping Wilson is as much about the FO saving face as it is about any hopes to develop the kid. 

If Rodgers is playing well and enjoys being a Jet - the organization will have no problem with him sticking around and just letting Zach go.

Let's put it this way, if Rodgers works out, not one person will care that JD burned a #2 pick on an all-time bust. 

Agreed with the bolded, but even if Rodgers has an awesome year and we go on a deep playoff run, it's conceivable he retires after only 1 year. That still leaves the door open for Zach Wilson here. 

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

It's becoming more and more clear why the Jets were so bullish on this. They've been saying for a while now that if its not GB and he's not retiring, no one will compete with them for his services. The Raiders have a lot of issues - in addition to their cashflow - that make them less likely option... not only is that division a gauntlet, but they have a lot of holes throughout their roster. The rest of the AFC teams needing QBs are far superior situations, and the only one that truly competes with what we have to offer is Miami, who seems committed to their QB. Even in the NFC, there doesn't appear to be a QB needy team that makes sense outside of SF, who are committed to their young QBs...

The Jets have a young talented roster. They offer a situation where the scheme and coaching is familiar and will allow him the latitude to help design it as he sees fit. They are offering him an ability to have a voice in personnel - not only to concede to his wishes but because they do feel adding people cut from that cloth will help continue shaping our culture. It's truly a match and one that makes the most sense in the NFL... it really just comes down to whether Rodgers wants to commit

Is jimmy G plan B?  And if they go the jimmy G route would they draft a qb this year or wait until 2024?  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I should be clear, I have no idea what WILL happen.

I'm just having a very hard believing the Jets will get A. Rodgers for what amounts to a bag of footballs and his salary costs.

A 2nd and conditional 3rd (rise to 1st) is just not alot of compensation for a HOF-level Franchise QB, old and fickle though he may be.  Sure there is risk, but not that much risk over the term we (the Jets) likely expect him to play (2 seasons).

I thought early on it was going to take two 1sts, the 2023 and 2024, at minimum, and likely some third pick somewhere, a midrounder.

Our resident insiders seem to think the comp is MUCH less.  But I'd expect something like:

1. 2023 1st Round Pick (#13)
2. 2024 2nd Round Pick (Conditional, rises to 1st if X, Y, Z met, games played, doesn't retire by X date, makes playoffs maybe).
3. 2024 4th Round Pick.

That, that's a deal where I'd go "yeah, I expected that much, ouch, but ok".

If we legit get him for much less, that's pretty amazing IMO.

it appears you were incorrect due (the 2 firsts) to the high cost of the contract

10 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

So the Jets flew all the way out there and are now back and Rodgers is still making up his mind?

Kind of related but it shows me that Woody and JD were serious in their statement about doing everything they can to improve the QB position.

Woody catches alot of crap and in some cases deserved as does JD but I have never been a believer in Woody being cheap.

Private Jet, one day turnaround trip - no idea the cost but doubt it is less than 100k and I am probably way off on the low side

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

I agree that the Jets have no leverage.  Green Bay doesn't either.

Rodgers has all of the leverage. He can hang retirement (and the massive cap charge that comes with it) over the Packers' heads if he doesn't get what he wants. My guess is this is why the Jets flew out to him to meet. They're probably doing quite the sell job right now. Because if they convince him that the Jets are the team he wants to play for, then the leverage Rodgers has works in their favor in trade negotiations.

They are willing to take a QB with no market value as we have been shown and has a ridiculous amount of money that back loaded into his contract.

Oh and if you think I am wrong who else is linked to him?

6 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Kind of related but it shows me that Woody and JD were serious in their statement about doing everything they can to improve the QB position.

Woody catches alot of crap and in some cases deserved as does JD but I have never been a believer in Woody being cheap.

Private Jet, one day turnaround trip - no idea the cost but doubt it is less than 100k and I am probably way off on the low side

I should have added he made sure the plane was stocked with popcorn and Good and Plenty for the in-flight movies