JetNation 2023 Mock Draft - Discussion

Dcat

59 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Michael Mayer- NYJ newest TE

Thought process: Conklin & CJ gone next year with $10 mil + in Cap savings. Too early for OL and I wanted a weapon for Rodgers.

We will have 2 very capable TE who are excellent blockers and can open the middle of the field.

Fire away! ?

Sorry but i'm gonna blast this pick... a bit anyway.

Had Kincaid been available, i would have blessed it; he's a real move-TE.. Mayer basically says - "We wasted a pick on Ruckert" cause they're too similar. Redundant. ...We have 2 TEs (conk&CJ) who will see time on sunday, AND a guy we've groomed for year -- to me this is wildly luxurious and on a guy who is... "good" but not top 20 good.  Too much about this I can't get on board with

As a jeremy-loyalist, sounds like you don't believe him enough.. we'll see.

Seth Meyers Ugh GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bryan Bresee at DT was intriguing if I stayed at #16 but gaining another 3rd was worth it.

There are some very good CB on the board but not a team need ATP

To me, Mayer met an offensive need at the right spot in the Draft

oblivion-tom-cruise.gif

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bryan Bresee at DT was intriguing if I stayed at #16 but gaining another 3rd was worth it.

There are some very good CB on the board but not a team need ATP

After Skoronski and Paris Johnson went off the board, I didn’t want to reach for mid-low 20’s OT.

To me, Mayer met an offensive need at the right spot in the Draft

only cuz ur picking for the Jets ppl will want you to justify your pick : )

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Sorry but i'm gonna blast this pick... a bit anyway.

Had Kincaid been available, i would have blessed it; he's a real move-TE.. Mayer basically says - "We wasted a pick on Ruckert" cause they're too similar. Redundant. ...We have 2 TEs (conk&CJ) who will see time on sunday, AND a guy we've groomed for year -- to me this is wildly luxurious and on a guy who is... "good" but not top 20 good.  Too much about this I can't get on board with -

As a both jeremy-loyalist, sounds like you don't believe him enough.. we'll see.

Seth Meyers Ugh GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

You’re welcome to your opinion. In response

“Had Kincaid been available, i would have blessed it; he's a real move-TE.” He wasn’t 

“…AND a guy we've groomed for year” Groomed? He had 1 catch for 8 yards on the season

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You’re welcome to your opinion. In response

“Had Kincaid been available, i would have blessed it; he's a real move-TE.” He wasn’t 

“…AND a guy we've groomed for year” Groomed? He had 1 catch for 8 yards on the season

yea, which is my point. You don't believe in him. Was he supposed to leapfrog two guys we invested like 40 million dollars in?... After a foot injury in the summer?... at a position that rarely sees rookie production? He looked mighty fine in the last game of the year. Its wild to me that you would consider TE high on your list of needs.

Look, i'm glad you're showing the position some love. However, i think we're one of like 4 teams i could bet my penis on that won't be taking a TE in rnd 1. 

• Upvote 1

The problem is that uzomah is a glorified cheer leader and conklin was a disappointment as was ruckert. 

If you don;t like Mayer fine but to not draft a better TE just because we are stuck with suspect ones is not good enough logic for me.

In any case the function of any jets gm in this draft is to get beat on so it's part of the job.   ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

yea, which is my point. You don't believe in him. Was he supposed to leapfrog two guys we invested like 40 million dollars in?... After a foot injury in the summer?... at a position that rarely sees rookie production? He looked mighty fine in the last game of the year. Its wild to me that you would consider TE high on your list of needs.

Look, i'm glad you're showing the position some love. However, i think we're one of like 4 teams i could bet my penis on that won't be taking a TE in rnd 1. 

Ok. Let’s try this from another angle. Who would you have selected at 21?

CB was good value but Sauce & Reed & Carter

OL…. I would have taken one 10-12 spots above where their was good value

DT…. I said if I was staying at #16 I would have taken kid from Clemson

LB…. Too early and by your logic player would be redundant and never see field.

Mayer is superior to Ruckert (101 pick) on every level. We can have 2 excellent TE on the same team you know

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mayer is superior to Ruckert (101 pick) on every level. We can have 2 excellent TE on the same team you know

hey man, i hear you.... i don't love your options. This is not a sexy class in the upper crust... Not only that, but all the obvious fits are gone lol..  I think Kincaid would have been easier sell, because he he and Ruckert would be an easy sell as the future at Y & F spots... He would make Lazard expendable by '24. I just can't get behind Mayer.

With Kincaid gone, i would have turned to Torrence... The ceiling is too high and our IOL is suspect still. AVT was injured, have to respect that. 

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The problem is that uzomah is a glorified cheer leader and conklin was a disappointment as was ruckert. 

If you don;t like Mayer fine but to not draft a better TE just because we are stuck with suspect ones is not good enough logic for me.

In any case the function of any jets gm in this draft is to get beat on so it's part of the job.   ?

HOW

How was he a disappointment. What avenger-like expectations did you have?! ....Show me the avg production from TEs not taken on Day 1, playing behind two well paid FA... who missed most of TC... like, hell no. That narrative is entirely fan driven as far as i'm concerned. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

HOW

How was he a disappointment. What avenger-like expectations did you have?! ....Show me the avg production from TEs not taken on Day 1, playing behind two well paid FA... who missed most of TC... like, hell no. That narrative is entirely fan driven as far as i'm concerned. 

3 tds, fewer catches and yards than the year before, some drops.  He was our # 1 TE pretty well all year.

I was happy when we signed him, i expected a lot more

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

3 tds, fewer catches and yards than the year before, some drops.  He was our # 1 TE pretty well all year.

I was happy when we signed him, i expected a lot more

I get that CJ didn’t live up to the hype. I didn’t lobby for the guy. Last year was more the norm for his career… I highlighted Ruckert in your post 

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I get that CJ didn’t live up to the hype. I didn’t lobby for the guy. Last year was more the norm for his career… I highlighted Ruckert in your post 

Oh, sorry about that.  Ruckert was also a disappointment, not through his fault mind you.

Lets put it this way our TE group was disappointing.  I heaped a lot of credit on Douglas for the two signings and drafting Ruckert.  As a group they simply didn't do much.  Perhaps LaFleurs fault.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh, sorry about that.  Ruckert was also a disappointment, not through his fault mind you.

Lets put it this way our TE group was disappointing.  I heaped a lot of credit on Douglas for the two signings and drafting Ruckert.  As a group they simply didn't do much.  Perhaps LaFleurs fault.

Fair enough, i have high expectations of Ruckert next season. He should absolutely do laps around CJ and relegate him to overpaid booster status. If it's more of the same in '23... i'll waive the white flag (after a few bottles of whiskey)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don't know.  Conklin caught 58 passes.  87 targets.  66.7% catch percentage.  58 was top 10 in the league with some of the worst QB play in the league.  He gqave us almost exactly what he did in Minnesota the year before.  Uzomah was used more as a blocker, but we got 80 receptions out of the TE group.  That was about 12th in the NFL. 

None were dynamic, but they were fine.  The way some people talk you would think it was like the days of Jeff Cumberland and Kellen Davis catching 8 passes between them in a season.

• Upvote 4

As the best interior offensive lineman available the Jaguars selected John Michael Schmitz. They have Luke fortner who they drafted in the 3rd round last year at center and he played very well in 2022 as a rookie.  He has guard flexibility and he'll move to left guard where there's a hole and Schmitz will come in and be the starter at center. This will fortify the offensive line for one of the leagues bright young QB's

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

JMS was staring you in the face as a plug and play Center with a gaping hole at Center on the Jets offensive line. That's a HUGE missed opportunity. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

JMS was staring you in the face as a plug and play Center with a gaping hole at Center on the Jets offensive line. That's a HUGE missed opportunity. 

Let’s have the Draft play out and we can see where things stand at the end. I know the areas of need on the Jets. Don’t lock into a player, but a group of positional players and rank them

It will be interesting to see where these players come off the board next month

Edited by 32EBoozer

10 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Nice pick for the Jets no matter who the starting QB is. 

I like the player. That said, I have a hard time with the idea of using our first pick on arguably the deepest position of the draft class.

1st round? Take a more premium position that has a bigger drop-off in talent outside the top 5 at the position.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I like the player. That said, I have a hard time with the idea of using our first pick on arguably the deepest position of the draft class.

1st round? Take a more premium position that has a bigger drop-off in talent outside the top 5 at the position.

I hear you on this, but OT had already dropped off and other premium position groups we are deep at as a team…. CB, WR

Edge and LB was a consideration but there are similar players to be had in 2nd.

I was eyeing the DT from Clemson at #16 but I chose to take pick 85 & move back 5 spots.

Center is also deep this draft as is DT. 
Whom would you have taken at #21? Curious

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I hear you on this, but OT had already dropped off and other premium position groups we are deep at as a team…. CB, WR

Edge and LB was a consideration but there are similar players to be had in 2nd.

I was eyeing the DT from Clemson at #16 but I chose to take pick 85 & move back 5 spots.

Center is also deep this draft as is DT. 
Whom would you have taken at #21? Curious

Without looking at who was available, based on mock drafting I’ve liked taking Lukas Van Ness around there. I don’t believe in ever having enough in the front 7.

Im not criticizing. You clearly have a philosophy/ strategy in mind - which is awesome. I’m one of those positional value guys. I think Edge, tackle, DL, corner, wr are my preferred 1st round gets. Mayer might transcend TE though, and be brilliant. Who knows?

• Upvote 1