JetNation 2023 Mock Draft - Discussion

Dcat

From PFF:

1. MICHAEL MAYER, NOTRE DAME (JUNIOR | 6-4, 265)

• 2022 Grade: 92.5
  • Play Style: Inline Chain Mover
  • Initial Round Projection: 1

If you’re drafting Mayer thinking you’ll get a Kyle Pitts or Travis Kelce or George Kittle, I’d temper expectations. The 6-foot-4, 265-pound Mayer is stylistically much closer to a Jason Witten than any of the tight ends listed above. Mayer, like Witten, lacks the long speed to be a consistent downfield separator. Despite Witten’s athletic limitations, though, he still had a six-year stretch where he averaged 92 catches and 1,018 yards a season. It’s very easy to see Mayer slotting into such a role because he was precisely that at Notre Dame. He went over 800 yards in each of the past two seasons with 138 catches and 16 scores over that span. Even without blazing speed, Mayer still led the draft class with 20 receptions on targets 10-plus yards downfield.

Unsurprisingly, Mayer is also one of the best blocking tight ends in the draft. His 82.1 run-blocking grade ranked fourth among the position in the FBS. That’s rare to see from only a third-year player. There aren’t many safer picks in the draft than Mayer. 

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

From PFF:

If you’re drafting Mayer thinking you’ll get a Kyle Pitts or Travis Kelce or George Kittle, I’d temper expectations. The 6-foot-4, 265-pound Mayer is stylistically much closer to a Jason Witten than any of the tight ends listed above. Mayer, like Witten, lacks the long speed to be a consistent downfield separator. Despite Witten’s athletic limitations, though, he still had a six-year stretch where he averaged 92 catches and 1,018 yards a season. It’s very easy to see Mayer slotting into such a role because he was precisely that at Notre Dame. He went over 800 yards in each of the past two seasons with 138 catches and 16 scores over that span. Even without blazing speed, Mayer still led the draft class with 20 receptions on targets 10-plus yards downfield.

Unsurprisingly, Mayer is also one of the best blocking tight ends in the draft. His 82.1 run-blocking grade ranked fourth among the position in the FBS. That’s rare to see from only a third-year player. There aren’t many safer picks in the draft than Mayer. 

Like I said, I like the player. All I was saying is that I (as in me, personally) would struggle going TE there. I just don’t view TE as a premium position. I’m mostly talking philosophy about positional value. That’s all. 

It’s not a bad pick. Kid is a baller.

I will admit that had one of the top 3 TE's been available I would've went TE for the Jags. They have no depth at TE and Engram is on a 1 yr deal and history suggests he'll get injured at some point. 

I just couldn't pass up closing the last hole on the offensive line. If there is one thing that will derail a young QB it's a bad offensive line. 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

From PFF:

With all the Jets needs , this is just a dumb pick .

• Haha 1

Sorry to disagree @32EBoozer.  Elijah Moore is gone.  Corey Davis is likely gone.  Mims sucks.  No way do I take a TE over Flowers right there or OL.  For me the pick there was Flowers who, along with smith-Njigba, is arguably the best or 2d best WR in the draft.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

For me the pick there was Flowers who, along with smith-Njigba, is arguably the best or 2d best WR in the draft.

This wasn’t a very strong WR Draft class. I went BAP. I understand the arguments but none of the options suggested thrilled me either. Again, let’s see where I end up at conclusion of Mock ?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Sorry to disagree @32EBoozer.  Elijah Moore is gone.  Corey Davis is likely gone.  Mims sucks.  No way do I take a TE over Flowers right there or OL.  For me the pick there was Flowers who, along with smith-Njigba, is arguably the best or 2d best WR in the draft.

NO. The pick has to be a T or a center. The OL must be secure and right now is totally a mess. We need talent, stability and depth.  You take a tackle and center to fortify the OL. We will be fine at WR. Once Rodgers is traded, OBJ is signed 10 minutes after. We have Mims, Garret, Hardman, OBJ and I can see that kid from the practice squad Irvin Charles on the roster. Rodgers doesn’t need a rookie WR to train running routes. He’s got 1/2 years tops left to play. OBJ is what he wants and OBJ is what he will get. They may even look at Cobb or Thielen. Both those guys are accomplished vets. 

16 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

NO. The pick has to be a T or a center. The OL must be secure and right now is totally a mess. We need talent, stability and depth.  You take a tackle and center to fortify the OL. We will be fine at WR. Once Rodgers is traded, OBJ is signed 10 minutes after. We have Mims, Garret, Hardman, OBJ and I can see that kid from the practice squad Irvin Charles on the roster. Rodgers doesn’t need a rookie WR to train running routes. He’s got 1/2 years tops left to play. OBJ is what he wants and OBJ is what he will get. They may even look at Cobb or Thielen. Both those guys are accomplished vets. 

There is no guaranty of Jets getting OBJ. Maybe, maybe not.  As of now, it is not.  If we lose all of Moore, Davis and Mims, WR shoots up the list of needs.  No way is a G Wilson/ Lazard team enough. 

TE and C don't get picked this high.  Get them later.  Got to give Rodgers an additional weapon in the WR room.

22 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

. Once Rodgers is traded, OBJ is signed 10 minutes after. 

You have no idea if this is true or not. You are merely speculating here. 

If JD picks a center in round 1 I will personally bury him in a ditch of pretzel bits. Would be a stupid pick in rd 1. Get your C later. Plus there is no center in the draft worthy of a mid rd 1 pick, IMO

11 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

49ers are interested in moving Trey Lance if anyone wants to pick up the phone.

No trades of players in these mocks.  It just gets too complicated with contracts, cap space and other considerations.  I have been in one or two mocks in the past that allowed trades of players and it always became a clusterf**k of epic proportions.  Sorry.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

49ers are interested in moving Trey Lance if anyone wants to pick up the phone.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

No trades of players in these mocks.  It just gets too complicated with contracts, cap space and other considerations.  I have been in one or two mocks in the past that allowed trades of players and it always became a clusterf**k of epic proportions.  Sorry.

I'll accept the trade. 

Patriots get

Trey Lance

49ers Get

Mac Fancy Pants Jones and a massage from Robert Kraft. 

@Lith No adjustments of draft capital needed lol. 

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Kind of a weird rule but ok

there are lots of mocks out there that use full salary cap restrictions and the spreadsheets posts the contract terms of each team's existing players.  Crazy detailed.  Otherwise you get stupid, unrealistic trades that would violate salary caps, etc.   A separate thread is just for each GM to keep his team's depth chart up to date.  2022 Total Control Draft board

17 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Kind of a weird rule but ok

It is very very tough to gauge player value versus draft pick capital value.   Player trades would be cool but I suspect for every good logical trade you would have one in which most the participants would howl at.

7 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

I hear ya, still don't think Houston is trading down 2 spots just to help them out. 

I didn't need an OT and the run was on ots, 

I had two players I was going to be happy with come the jets pick. 

I got a couple of picks out of it and still got one of the guys I wanted.

There is a real connection between the Houston GM and the Pats.  (Casserio is a long time pat)

The two teams had talked about the trade before the draft but I made it clear to the Pats gm that I would only make the deal when I was on the clock and saw who was available.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It is very very tough to gauge player value versus draft pick capital value.   Player trades would be cool but I suspect for every good logical trade you would have one in which most the participants would howl at.

Here's one that just happened on one of those more elaborate boards.... I think it fits both teams salary cap parameters and it seems like it makes sense:

Bears - Chargers Trade.

Chargers get 2.53 and RB Khalil Herbert.

Bears get RB Austin Ekeler.

^Smart trade for both teams (assuming Chargers have no intentions of paying him what he wants). 

This mock starts Monday and I am Jets GM.  Houston already asked what I want for Mims.  I asked for Pitre or a 3rd rd.  I was told (correctly) that I-am-crazy.  Of course Pitre is a stud and Mims aint worth more than a mid day 3, if that.  So the GMs there aren't stupid.  

Green Bay and I have already agreed to a Rodgers trade but we won't do it until early in rd 2 on the off chance something actually gets announced for real before then.  They get Davis and #43 and whatever conditional for next yr or  beyond.  We get Rodgers.  That means I'm down to one 2d round pick.  But at least it's more realistic.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Dcat said:

there are lots of mocks out there that use full salary cap restrictions and the spreadsheets posts the contract terms of each team's existing players.  Crazy detailed.  Otherwise you get stupid, unrealistic trades that would violate salary caps, etc.   A separate thread is just for each GM to keep his team's depth chart up to date.  2022 Total Control Draft board

Ok but it's a mock draft so