JetNation 2023 Mock Draft - Discussion

Dcat

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Exhibit A: Mayer at 12 overall

Ever listen to that podcast? He gives a half-hearted synopsis and immediately defers to Ben Solak, who tells him exactly what he should think about his synopsis. lol. It’s the embodiment of home-brew draft twitter. 

20 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

With the 45th overall pick in the JetsNation Mock Draft.  The 3 time, and current WORLD CHAMPION, Kansas City Chiefs select..............

Felix Unadike-Uzomah - EDGE - Kansas State

FELIX-ANUDIKE-GRID.webp.6567a144b1375b6aed68a22fb63664b4.webp

Kansas City brings one of it's own home!  

Overview
A hard-charging edge prospect, Anudike-Uzomah has good strength and a long frame that should continue to fill out. His run defense is unrefined and in need of better fundamentals, but he’s clearly gone to school on his pass-rush approach, adding several new wrinkles to his attack in 2022. His urgency leads to playmaking opportunities, but he will need to harness that energy and play with better control to become a more efficient defender. There is more polish needed, but Anudike-Uzomah’s NFL rush potential should eventually make him an NFL starter.
Strengths
  • Plays with a high level of intensity and urgency.
  • Creates pre-snap rush plan and executes it.
  • Possesses buffet of rush approaches that he can choose from.
  • Effective use of length as bull rusher.
  • Makes quick in-play transition from run defender to rusher when necessary.
  • Explodes into tackle’s pads with heavy hands.
  • Powerful hips allow him to torque run blocker off his base.
  • Able to find runner and make tackles from challenging angles.

@JTJet is up!  And @HawkeyeJet is in the hole.

This is a very good, deep Edge class. Nice job.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I did not like the Mayer pick, but apparently at least one guy - Kelly at the Ringer has him as the 2nd best pass catcher behind JSN and 12th overall.  I don't see it.

Anyone not presently stabbing themself in the eye, needs to watch Kincaid and I dare you to try and tell me he’s not the better receiver of the two (Mayer). I would say he’s got a better feel for the ball than many receivers - better hands than JSN even. 

• Upvote 3

@Dcat nice pick. Was listening to Sirius Friday morning and Charlie Weis was talking about Musgrave. LOVES him. Said that Parcells always told his coaches to find him guys that can catch and block. This guy can do both. Interesting, Charlie tried to recruit this kid’s dad when he was at So. Carolina I believe.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

@Lith come on in here, have a seat. 

D Washington?… you know him better than everyone else in this thing… 33rd pick overall? Did he even finish a season with 33 receptions?... combined?

Combined.  Yes.  Single season.  No.  But you don't draft players based strictly on college production without context.

Washington played in a run heavy scheme, with a passing game built around the other TE who possesses a very different skill set.  At worst, he is a blocking tight end who will be a solid red zone target.  I see his floor being a Marcedes Lewis type player.  With a much higher ceiling.  

I am the first to admit that he will not likely be able to gain much separation as a receiver in the NFL, very awkward in and out of breaks, but he is so unique that I don't think he has to.  He is very good at finding soft spots in zones, he can be effective going up the seam, and he knows how to use his big body and huge wingspan to box out defenders and win in contested spots.  And he is very underrated with the ball in his hands.  I think he will be more productive in the NFL than he was with us.  

Then you look at the Packers roster.  They may have the worst TE room in the NFL.  Josiah Deguara, who is more a H-back, is in last year of his contract, is the most experienced guy they have.  And he is not very good.  Tyler Davis is likely a career back up who has averaged about 10 offensive snaps a game in 2 seasons at GB.  And then they have a couple practice squad guys.  I came into this draft knowing I wanted to pick a TE with one of my first two picks.  The trade up for Washington was spur of the moment.  After passing on Kincaid in R1, I had an opportunity to move up and get a guy I liked.  And after trading back two spots in R1, I was able to use the pick I got there to make it happen.

I am happy with the pick, even though it may have been a little bit of a reach,

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

Anyone not presently stabbing themself in the eye, needs to watch Kincaid and I dare you to try and tell me he’s not the better receiver of the two (Mayer). I would say he’s got a better feel for the ball than many receivers - better hands than JSN even. 

Mayer & Kincaid, two totally different players. Mayer is the better in-line blocker and chain moving TE. Kincaid is a less talented as a blocker but more nimble on his feet in and out of breaks.

Several analysts compared Mayer to Jason Witten.

Kincaid to Dallas Godhert.

Both very good players but with different skill sets. I drafted him for Rodgers & the Jets to be Rodgers safety net, similar to Mercedes Lewis 

34 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mayer & Kincaid, two totally different players. Mayer is the better in-line blocker and chain moving TE. Kincaid is a less talented as a blocker but more nimble on his feet in and out of breaks.

Several analysts compared Mayer to Jason Witten.

Kincaid to Dallas Godhert.

Both very good players but with different skill sets. I drafted him for Rodgers & the Jets to be Rodgers safety net, similar to Mercedes Lewis 

If those 2, I take Witten. Maybe just not top-25.

A lot of “move” TE prospects in this draft, from what I’ve read.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If those 2, I take Witten. Maybe just not top-25.

A lot of “move” TE prospects in this draft, from what I’ve read.

I understand…. But where I was on the board gave the “value” option of DB, over-drafting an IOL or OT or taking the most complete TE  in the draft at 21. 

OL & Edge addressed in 2nd and I gained 2- 3rd round picks and moved up in the4th.

Remember, it’s all an experiment.

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

I understand…. But where I was on the board gave the “value” option of DB, over-drafting an IOL or OT or taking the most complete TE  in the draft at 21. 

OL & Edge addressed in 2nd and I gained 2- 3rd round picks and moved up in the4th.

Yep, I get it. It’s your draft to run. Just saying what I’d do. Philosophically, TE positional value is low + this is a deep draft class = you can get a good one later. 

It’s just conversation, not criticism.

24 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think you're doing great; you didn't reach for the OT in the first round and got a good one in the second round. Almost all the players picked after Mayer probably don't go as high in the real draft. Mayer is definitely a first round pick. We'll find out soon enough.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Sucks when we have a couple of west coasters on the clock and on deck on a Sunday morning, but that is the luck of the draw this AM with @NYJetsVets91 followed by @Paradis.

About 30 minutes left on the clock for Seahawks.

Sorry everyone, definitely happy with the Tippman pick though. He was the top player left on my board, and was the biggest need left for the Seahawks. He was the pick for me if I hadn't missed it.

• Upvote 1

The Texans wanted a quality TE prospect and they had two on their list of wants coming up to their early 3rd round pick.  Once Musgrave went off the board they felt it prudent to trade up to get the guy they wanted rather than risk him being taken before the 3rd round.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

Yes.  There was a discussion about him a month ago somebodysuggested him as a need.  I don't know too much about him and knew less then.  I think TE is generally a poor choice because they have Ruckert and two guys with contracts that will keep them here for 2023.  Whoever it was countered with how good Kincaid is.  I get selecting the best receiver/weapon so if thatvis Kincaid, okay.  Still generally TE is a poor choice for 2023 IMO.  That is what makes the Mayer pick so puzzling.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes.  There was a discussion about him a month ago somebodysuggested him as a need.  I don't know too much about him and knew less then.  I think TE is generally a poor choice because they have Ruckert and two guys with contracts that will keep them here for 2023.  Whoever it was countered with how good Kincaid is.  I get selecting the best receiver/weapon but generally TE is a poor choice for 2023 IMO.  That is what makes the Mayer pick so puzzling.

Folks keep pointing this out but never give a response when I ask whom they would select at #13 (Commanders) or #16 (Chargers) and finally 21 ( after obtaining #85; #97 & #118)?

Here’s your chance.

I’m always looking to see where I made a mistake. That’s why I love the PFN Draft Simulator. I wish I had options I liked at #13 & # 16 that met a need.

image.png