Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

Just now, choon328 said:

Caved based on what? Your expectations? Bc this has been the rumored deal for 6 weeks now except without Davis.  The 1st rd pick swap has been mentioned a ton. The 2nd this year and conditional 2nd next year has been the expectation by everyone in the media for weeks. Charlie Weis said that was the deal this morning before the news broke. 

If you're disappointed bc you had a ridiculous expectation that the Packers would just give away the QB who won 2 of the last 3 MVPs that your problem.  

Plus Rodgers new contract hasn't been announced yet.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Irish Jet said:

I mean Rodgers' word isn't exactly worth much. He's a pretty erratic guy and while it's a feel good story for him now a lot can change in 12 months. 

I doubt there's any chance he comes back in 2024 unless the Jets look like legit contenders this season. 

I mean, his hot girlfriend lives in Manhattan, Hackett is his bubby. They’ll probably bring in another buddy or two for him. It seemed like there was an effort in Green Bay to spite Rodgers the past few years. It was a running joke that Gutenkunst would dump the guys who Rodgers liked. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So much for "Jets had all the leverage, GB will take what we give them", because that comp is alot.

1. We move down in the first in 2023 from 13 to 15
2. We lose a 2023 2nd Rounder
3. We lose a 2023 6th Rounder
4. We lose a 2024 1st Rounder (lets be honest, unless he gets hurt early in the year, he easily plays 65% in 2023)

1. We gain Aaron Rodgers.
2. We gain a 2023 5th

So much for the "no first rounders" narrative, and "it should be cheap, because leverage" narrative, this is a pretty huge price to pay for a likely 1-year rental @ $50 million+ in salary per season for the next several seasons, cap space wise.

We now have 1 pick in the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th to work with, draft wise.

Man, we sure better hope all these risky moves pay off, or it's going to be one rough couple years from 2024 onwards. This reeks of desperation.  

Doesn’t matter as you have told us repeatedly JD sucks as a GM and at drafting.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

Just now, Larz said:

Oh no the cheaters are going to swoop in and we’re going to look like idiots. Nope. 

Oh no the 49ers are going to swoop in and we’re going to look like idiots. Nope. 

Oh no the titans are going to swoop in and we’re going to look like idiots. Nope. 

Oh no Rodgers is going to get tired of this and retire. Nope. 

Oh no this is going to go on all summer. Nope. 

Oh no I was was wrong in thinking that the Jets had the leverage and actually The packers did. Yup. 

The Jets caved.  Yep.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, his hot girlfriend lives in Manhattan, Hackett is his bubby. They’ll probably bring in another buddy or two for him. It seemed like there was an effort in Green Bay to spite Rodgers the past few years. It was a running joke that Gutenkunst would dump the guys who Rodgers liked. 

Cobb ?  He’s a bff

I thought it might be either a) a 1 this year (after a tradeback from 13) and a 2 next year or b) a pick swap in the first round this year, a 2nd and and a 2nd next year.

Kinda in the area of what I expected it to be except a little higher with more than likely a 1 next year.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The ultimate SOJ scenario would be for Rodgers to play 65% of the snaps, the Jets to somehow get the 1st overall pick (which would head to the Packers), and then AR retires after 1 season.

Dude, that’s just….wow.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Oh no the cheaters are going to swoop in and we’re going to look like idiots. Nope. 

Oh no the 49ers are going to swoop in and we’re going to look like idiots. Nope. 

Oh no the titans are going to swoop in and we’re going to look like idiots. Nope. 

Oh no Rodgers is going to get tired of this and retire. Nope. 

Oh no this is going to go on all summer. Nope. 

Oh no I was was wrong in thinking that the Jets had the leverage and actually The packers did. Yup. 

Not necessarily ... If JD took the majority of money off the contract, then the leverage wasn't as much as it may seem because Packers are basically paying for a better draft pick

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Massive overpay. We gave up a quality 2nd a swap of 1st rounders which equates to a 3rd rounder in value. And what will 99% be a 1st rounder in 2024. All with no protection if he retires after this next season.

So we traded a 2nd, 3rd, and a 2024 1st for a 39 year old for possibly only 1 year.

Awful deal. JD lost big time.

I think we lost this trade. But I am beyond excited we have a QB. Don’t get that confused. Also I just won over 9k. So I’m on a bit off a high

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I think we lost this trade. But I am beyond excited we have a QB. Don’t get that confused. Also I just won over 9k. So I’m on a bit off a high

Also, lets see what the new contract is before we deem winners and losers.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Skeptable said:

Also, lets see what the new contract is before we deem winners and losers.

Any way we slice it we have to pay him a ton and will have dead money. Likely we just have more cap this year than we thought. Allowing us to maybe make a couple more FA moves now that some vets might want to join.

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Who is the player teams are clamoring to trade up to pick 15 for? 

Someone always unexpectedly falls. Could be one of the QBs or the DT from Georgia.

All it has to be is a player a team really wants but doesn't think will make it to their pick.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, choon328 said:

conditional 2nd next year has been the expectation by everyone in the media for weeks.

yes but that was supposed to be a 1st if Rodgers got us to a AFCCG or SB not if Rodgers plays 65% of this year. so its like the article said 99% a 1st rd pick. and there is no protection on if he retires next year. no picks coming back if he does. and everyone has been reporting that for weeks.

so yes he caved in. 

• WTF? 1

Meh...I don't like it.

The deal would be more palatable if:

1) there's a significant reworking of the contract in the Jets favor; and

2) in his opening press conference, Rodgers comes out and says he is 100% going to play for another 2 years (and then actually sticks with it).

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The ultimate SOJ scenario would be for Rodgers to play 65% of the snaps, the Jets to somehow get the 1st overall pick (which would head to the Packers), and then AR retires after 1 season.

Oh no! Why did you have to go and put it out there???? Now, it will happen!!! Thanks 

• Haha 1