Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

Think about this in 2 parts. 

Would you rather have:

13th, 42nd and 207th picks

Or

Rodgers,  15th and 170th pick.

I don't think that's a close decision

2nd Part

Obviously if Rodgers retires you'd rather have next year's 1st but if he doesn't would you still rather have that 1st rd pick between 24-32 or another year of Rodgers in 2024?

I'm not sure that's a particularly close decision either. If Rodgers returns for 2024 this is a slam dunk for the Jets. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Think about this in 2 parts. 

Would you rather have:

13th, 42nd and 207th picks

Or

Rodgers,  15th and 170th pick.

I don't think that's a close decision

2nd Part

Obviously if Rodgers retires you'd rather have next year's 1st but if he doesn't would you still rather have that 1st rd pick between 24-32 or another year of Rodgers in 2024?

I'm not sure that's a particularly close decision either. If Rodgers returns for 2024 this is a slam dunk for the Jets. 

Individuals can be smart but together, people are dumb. 

45 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

So let's call it what it is.  The Jets caved.

There was talk about switching #13 for 15 or giving up the #42 pick.  We gave both.  There was talk that a 2024 second rounder that was conditional to become a #1 but that we would get back a third rounder if Rodgers didn't play in 2024.  Again, the condition is he plays 65% of the snaps!  Not that we make the playoffs!!!!!  And no compensation if he walks after 1 year and destroys 2 years cap!!!!

It will be great to have a true quality quarterback but if we were prepared to overpay this much, the deal should have been done long ago.  They are celebrating in cheese-land.

Rodgers reworking his contract with GB for GB to absorb the contract... GB is taking on more money to get better draft picks... that is what people are failing to see.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

NE picks at #14 one spot ahead of Jets now

we’ll see what happens

Hopefully doesn’t come back to haunt us

Could easily see them drafting JSN or an OT

Because Belicheck is the king of good 1st round draft picks

41 minutes ago, Lith said:

It is possible to be excited about seeing Rodgers play for us, and at the same time think we gave up too much.  Unless there is a big financial piece where GB is taking on some of the $58M guarantee, then I agree, it is an overpay.

But once the season rolls around, I am going to be really excited to see a Jets team with a legit QB.  Since our last playoff appearance, we have watched games started by Wilson, Darnold, Falk, Siemian, Smith, White, Flacco, Fitz, McCown, Sanchez, McElroy, Petty, Tebow & Vick  its going to be refreshing watching Rodgers play for this team.

I think the Packers are taking on a sizable portion of the guarantee

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

I'm not sure what he means but it sounds like he's saying they're going to eat the $58.3 million bonus. Am i reading into that correctly?

Yes they are eating all of the 58 Million.... which is what I thought.... Hence why they gave up so much

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

I'm not sure what he means but it sounds like he's saying they're going to eat the $58.3 million bonus. Am i reading into that correctly?

Not the way I am reading this.  I think it means that they are eating whatever cap hit they have in 2023 since they did not wait until after June 1 to make the trade.  Hopefully some of the bonus payment will be paid by GB, but I can't imagine it would be the entire $58M.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, hawk said:

For what it's worth...Reports are coming in stating that Rodgers will signed a revised contract with packers to facilitate the trade.  

If they take on a large portion of his contract, it is a better deal.  Still overpaid, but better.

If they got rid of the guaranteed 2024 bonus, I will say it ain't so bad.  2 firsts for Rodgers is still too much, but does put us in contention immediately.

2 first? 

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not the way I am reading this.  I think it means that they are eating whatever cap hit they have in 2023 since they did not wait until after June 1 to make the trade.  Hopefully some of the bonus payment will be paid by GB, but I can't imagine it would be the entire $58M.

No He is saying they are reworking his contract so that GB eats the cap hit for 2023 which is about 14+ Million more then if he they didn't rework the contract.

5 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

No He is saying they are reworking his contract so that GB eats the cap hit for 2023 which is about 14+ Million more then if he they didn't rework the contract.

So why is he referring to June 1st? That's the only detail he gives. Nothing about reworking contact or $14mm. Where are you coming up with that?

Original tweet is from March 27

• Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Did someone print trillions of draft picks? Bastards!

I hope you realize how foolish this is. There's no inflation in NFL trade value. JD just got worked.

It was a joke dude.

But that was 15 years ago.  We paid what we did.  Brett Favre wasn't making $58 million.  And if the contract is being eaten, then that costs something as well.

Is it not worth having Aaron Rodgers for a year for basically a 2nd and a 1st?  I mean, I like the idea of having him for two years.  But yeah, maybe I'm wrong. 

• Upvote 1