Official Hire Ben Johnson Thread - *After the season

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38508867/the-rise-detroit-lions-oc-ben-johnson?platform=amp

He is one of the best offensive minds AND coaches in the league. We need to offer him whatever he wants. No more defensive coordinators. No coaches who were recently fired. We need an up and coming offensive coach and who better than him right now? Goff is not playing at this level without him. And maybe he’ll bring over some of that offensive line success. 

If we had to choose between Rodgers and Saleh/Hackett or Rodgers retires/requests trade if we hire a new staff then I’m taking Ben Johnson over Rodgers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I agree with the offensive mind stuff but this just gives me Gase/McDaniels/Staley vibes.  Young OCs who are clueless in managing a team.

Give me some experience if possible please.

Every year multiple successful first year coaches are hired

• Upvote 2

Yeah it's not gonna happen.  Even if the team is fine with peacing out Saleh after the year, anyone who is in high demand(like Johnson will probably be) will want to bring in their own staff.  With the Jets invested in Rodgers, there is a 0% chance they will move on from Hackett, who is basically a package deal with AR at this point.  There's just no way in hell this happens.  

Also, like @pointman said, we just won.  The timing on these "_____ needs to be fired" threads always melts my brain a bit.  First after the Bills win, now after the Broncos win.  Can we chill out a bit?  I get the whole "NY fans are ruthless" bit or whatever, but **** sake.  

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Unless Rodgers retires, Saleh is here next year.  Less than 0% chance Ben Johnson is the jets coach next year.

yea I don't get why there seems to be a lot of people thinking we're getting a new coach next season. I wouldn't say less than 0 but highly unlikely our owner Aaron Rodgers allows this.

5 minutes ago, fullblast said:

CJ Stroud looks pretty good with a defensive HC. Sometimes it really is just the QB.

We are flawed. Giving up points early. Not scoring early. Running zone only (until recently), no contain, inconsistent pass blocking, plethora of stupid penalties. Its not just the QB.

• Post of the Week 1

Timing is odd for this thread but I'm game.

Yeah, this is the guy that I would want to replace Saleh, but barring a total collapse I think Saleh's return is almost certain.

You can't say he hasn't done a good job so far this year. I think a lot of teams would crumble completely after Rodgers went down....on MNF....on the first drive like that.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

39 minutes ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38508867/the-rise-detroit-lions-oc-ben-johnson?platform=amp

He is one of the best offensive minds AND coaches in the league. We need to offer him whatever he wants. No more defensive coordinators. No coaches who were recently fired. We need an up and coming offensive coach and who better than him right now? Goff is not playing at this level without him. And maybe he’ll bring over some of that offensive line success. 

If we had to choose between Rodgers and Saleh/Hackett or Rodgers retires/requests trade if we hire a new staff then I’m taking Ben Johnson over Rodgers. 

The Lions are one of the few teams who have a very strong OL.  They invested heavily in the draft for OL and it's paying off now.

15 minutes ago, pointman said:

We are flawed. Giving up points early. Not scoring early. Running zone only (until recently), no contain, inconsistent pass blocking, plethora of stupid penalties. Its not just the QB.

Right. But speaking strictly on the QB, I don't have much faith that an offensive HC would be the fix, necessarily.

1 minute ago, fullblast said:

Right. But speaking strictly on the QB, I don't have much faith that an offensive HC would be the fix, necessarily.

Fair, but I will say.. look at Zach with a little time watching AARon and working with Hack. I think we underestimate how much a new eye could help him.

47 minutes ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

Not now. Obviously for the offseason. 

We’re 5 games into the season, 12 games to go.  With what was supposed to be our backup, who all said needed a reset and we’re complaining about the OC

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We’re 5 games into the season, 12 games to go.  With what was supposed to be our backup, who all said needed a reset and we’re complaining about the OC

We're complaining about the HC. Nice guy, but as a coach, he's trash.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

We're complaining about the HC. Nice guy, but as a coach, he's trash.

Based on what?  Which games did Saleh lose and was trash? 
And no, I replied in a thread complaining about the OC calling for Ben Johnson to be hired for that position.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Based on what?  Which games did Saleh lose and was trash? 
And no, I replied in a thread complaining about the OC calling for Ben Johnson to be hired for that position.  

Did you miss the abysmal clock management yesterday? Taking a 13 men on the field penalty instead using a timeout? The annoyingly slow start (again)?

I could go on, but I don't have time.

We won because Denver sucks. We out-talented them. Saleh did nothing to win that game. Nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

No way, then we are stuck with Zach Wilson 🙈. Nobody worth a dam is going to want to come coach jets if he is qb anyway. He would be a career killer. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

we have been in every game and if Zach played better vs NE we win that game, if he doesnt fumble vs KC we win that game too.

going into yesterday we were the 2nd least penalized team in the league. this team plays for Saleh.

no we are not perfect but nobody is.

and as far as hiring a OC for a HC is not guarantied success. Daboll who was spoken of just like your speaking of Johnson now has the Giants and they suck. and the offense cant score for there life. 

there were threads about Sean Payton this winter. just give him what he wants.....Woody give him part ownership...just get him here.... how is that looking now? 

Saleh is going to win maybe 8-9 games with a backup QB. he isnt going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Did you miss the abysmal clock management yesterday? Taking a 13 men on the field penalty instead using a timeout? The annoyingly slow start (again)?

I could go on, but I don't have time.

We won because Denver sucks. We out-talented them. Saleh did nothing to win that game. Nothing.

What part of Zach not clocking the ball fast enough was on the HC?  
Defensive players getting caught for too many on the field is on the DC though Saleh should have called timeout. 
The Jets adjusted in the 2nd half,  as Saleh said they changed things up and forced Russ to play QB.  

• Upvote 1