Becton has a message

Bronx

Just now, Mogglez said:

He’s our LT.

Becton talked the talk and walked the walk.  He’ll probably be tagged, but I would try and get him long-term for a good price and draft another T in the first this year.

I think right now there is one single player on the Jets that must be extended and thats Bryce Huff he also needs more snaps.

And I'm happy to say I'm seeing Pass Rush improvement from a player I've been  critical of Jermaine Johnson.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He’s our LT.

Becton talked the talk and walked the walk.  He’ll probably be tagged, but I would try and get him long-term for a good price and draft another T in the first this year.

Good plan.  Might want to think about first round QB depending how Zach and the season play out.

Is the front office preparing an in season offer for Huff?

Can't they extend him with contract language requiring him to attend regular workouts during the offseason and not exceed his playing weight? That way he can't balloon up to 400 and crash diet right before training camp? That way he stays in shape all year and not right before he has to start playing

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He’s our LT.

There's still most of the season remaining, but I've got to admit, this is very true. 

The least likely thing 99% of the board was expecting this year was Mekhi Becton starting 17 games this year, with 15 of them coming at left tackle, and - though imperfect, yes - doing a respectable job of it despite missing the prior 2 seasons.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

20 Games played. Year 4. Dude needs to read the room.

Lol yeah dude, he's been injured and had REALLY bad luck so far. Not a reason to sh*t on him. 

Dude pointed to his thigh pad, made a money sign and now he's a greedy a$$hole who wants an undeserved contract? You're just making sh*t up now. 

As I said, pathological hatred makes people say stupid things. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Lol yeah dude, he's been injured and had REALLY bad luck so far. Not a reason to sh*t on him. 

Dude pointed to his KNEE, made a money sign and now he's a greedy a$$hole who wants an undeserved contract? You're just making sh*t up now. 

OK. ANd all he needs to do to get PAID is, you know, finish the ******* season.

That's not "hate", that's reality. 

Oh, and fixed yer post for ya!

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There's still most of the season remaining, but I've got to admit, this is very true. 

The least likely thing 99% of the board was expecting this year was Mekhi Becton starting 17 games this year, with 15 of them coming at left tackle, and - though imperfect, yes - doing a respectable job of it despite missing the prior 2 seasons.

Isn't Brown back after the Bye? Will the Jets put Becton back at RT or keep him at left, with Brown never playing RT.

What a mess.

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

51 Jets team members coming off the field after a huge win: "Yeah! Jets win!! Jets win baby!!

Becton: "My knee is finally healthy after getting paid to rehab and unavailable for 2 entire seasons, so I'm starting my contract demands immediately".

He's an idiot.

He is such a child. He might be a bit of a narcissist too.  I'd rather they sign Huff and tag Becton.  Make him earn it anohter year.  He's a high risk AFAIC.  Huff is way more of a sure bet.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Fabian80 said:

When he’s on the field Becton is one of the NFL’s best Left Tackles

He's a middle of the road over all LT and I can deal with that if he can stay healthy. If he plays like he's playing now and stops getting nic'd up or outright injured . Yes there are times when we see him manhandling some players but that's not what its all about its all about consistency at the LT  position

16 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Dude pointed to his thigh pad, made a money sign and now he's a greedy a$$hole who wants an undeserved contract? You're just making sh*t up now. 

He's been talking a big game since his rookie year. The "Big Bust" shirt, Big Ticket necklace, "I'm a LT" when he was clearly going to be asked to be RT. He makes a lot of comments that you'd wish he'd keep to himself.

I'm feel far more comfortable tagging Becton than giving him a deal. I don't trust him to stay in shape once paid.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He is such a child. He might be a bit of a narcissist too.  I'd rather they sign Huff and tag Becton.  Make him earn it anohter year.  He's a high risk AFAIC.  Huff is way more of a sure bet.

Rest assured the Jets are not giving Becton another contract unless it’s a 1 year prove it deal. And that’s contingent on him playing this season. 

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

He's been talking a big game since his rookie year. The "Big Bust" shirt, Big Ticket necklace, "I'm a LT" when he was clearly going to be asked to be RT. He makes a lot of comments that you'd wish he'd keep to himself.

I'm feel far more comfortable tagging Becton than giving him a deal. I don't trust him to stay in shape once paid.

Oh absolutely agreed. He's the ideal tag candidate. He needs to prove he can stay healthy and upright for 2 straight seasons. 

That said, Becton was right. He is an LT. Duane Brown looked like absolute sh*t and Becton took his job back. 

I get the frustration that fans have with him but some of the criticism is unfair. He is far and away the Jets' best lineman in 2023. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Fat

The privileged:

Fat men's club

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fat men's clubs were a type of social club that peaked in popularity from the late 19th to early 20th centuries, primarily in the United States. Membership was typically limited to men weighing over 200 lb (91 kg), and members were generally quite wealthy as well. Fat men's clubs declined in the 20th century as male obesity transitioned to being perceived as a primarily negative trait.

Description[edit]

Fat men's clubs typically required prospective members to weigh in at over 200 pounds in addition to demanding a small membership fee. Club members were typically wealthy, and the clubs often arranged busy social calendars for their membership that included balls, sports events and banquets, which often doubled as networking events.[1]

Fat men's club events often opened with a public weigh-in of the membership, with prizes for the heaviest men. Competition at these public weigh-ins was heated enough to inspire widespread cheating, with participants loading down their pockets with weights in order to appear heavier.[2] Many clubs ran eating contests before the official weighing.[3]

220px-Fat_men.jpg Engraving from an August 1884 issue of Frank Leslie Illustrated Newspaper showing a meeting of the Fat Men's Association in Connecticut.

History[edit]

Fat men's clubs were most prominent during a time when societal attitudes towards male obesity were largely positive: being overweight was seen as a sign of economic success, and was also thought to correspond with kindness and good humor.[2] The first fat men's club was founded in New York City in 1869.[4]

Some fat women's clubs existed as well, but these were much less common, as fat was seen as less desirable in women. Fat women's clubs in the style of fat men's clubs were outnumbered by women's weight loss clubs even at the fad's height.[2]

Fat men's clubs were popular throughout the United States, and were particularly common in the state of Texas.[2] Fat men's clubs were started in FranceSerbia, and the UK as well.[1]

In the early 20th century, the popularity of fat men's clubs waned as obesity became increasingly associated with bad health. The New England Fat Men's Club, which at one point had 10,000 members, disbanded in 1924 with only 38 members, none of whom actually met the 200 lb. standard prerequisite for membership.[2] The advent of the bathroom scale also contributed to the decline of fat men's clubs, as weight measurement transitioned from being a public spectacle to an exercise that was carried out in the privacy of one's home.[2]

fatmensclub_wide-2c7169b6ca234c1234f44f0edf4d86e389a22cf9-s1400-c100.jpg

References[edit]

1. ^ Jump up to:a b Basu, Tanya (10 March 2016). "The Forgotten History Of Fat Men's Clubs". NPR.org. Archived from the original on 2020-03-21. Retrieved 2020-03-21.
  2. ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f Doan, Laura (2017-11-23). "Baseball, BBQ, and Dead Ponies—A History of Fat Men's Clubs in Texas". Texas Monthly. Archived from the original on 2020-03-21. Retrieved 2020-03-21.
  3. ^ Johnson, Adrienne Rose (2016-08-01). "The Art of Competitive Eating". Gastronomica. 16 (3): 111–114. doi:10.1525/gfc.2016.16.3.111. ISSN 1529-3262. Archived from the original on 2021-04-14. Retrieved 2021-01-11.
  4. ^ Cave, James (2016-04-01). "Yes, Fat Men's Clubs Actually Existed". HuffPost. Archived from the original on 2020-10-31. Retrieved 2020-03-21.

37 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Good plan.  Might want to think about first round QB depending how Zach and the season play out.

Is the front office preparing an in season offer for Huff?

There's no way the Jets should be thinking about taking a QB in the 1st round.  To begin with, they'll likely be drafting in the bottom half if not bottom third of the round if they keep improving.  Second, that would be akin to the Packers drafting Love when Rodgers was still there rather than drafting a player that could help them win.  Third, and most importantly, the OL isn't anywhere near fixed.  AVT needs to stay at RG, and hopefully, he can stay healthy there.  Mitchell is still a big question mark as is Carter Warren and Becton could opt to sign with another team or want crazy money.  He could also get injured again.  The pick in the 1st round has to be either an OT, a WR, a DT, or if there's a stud S available.  There should be no thoughts of taking a QB.

Rodgers will be the starter next season and if Zach doesn't continue to improve, they can bring in a quality backup for Rodgers, and then draft a developmental QB in a lower round.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

There's no way the Jets should be thinking about taking a QB in the 1st round.  To begin with, they'll likely be drafting in the bottom half if not bottom third of the round if they keep improving.  Second, that would be akin to the Packers drafting Love when Rodgers was still there rather than drafting a player that could help them win.  Third, and most importantly, the OL isn't anywhere near fixed.  AVT needs to stay at RG, and hopefully, he can stay healthy there.  Mitchell is still a big question mark as is Carter Warren and Becton could opt to sign with another team or want crazy money.  He could also get injured again.  The pick in the 1st round has to be either an OT, a WR, a DT, or if there's a stud S available.  There should be no thoughts of taking a QB.

Rodgers will be the starter next season and if Zach doesn't continue to improve, they can bring in a quality backup for Rodgers, and then draft a developmental QB in a lower round.

This is absolutely correct.  They should not draft another QB until they have a better OL, and the plan has to be that Rodgers is playing in 2024 and will need blockers and catchers.  

• Upvote 1

• The practical reality is that when Rodgers hangs up his cleats, likely after 2024, the Jets get hit with a giant cap hit and will not have a QB on the roster unless its Zach Wilson on the 5th year option. 
  • The Jets will need Becton to block for AR8/ZW next year.  After that the roster is a mess, and Becton is not going to last long in the NFL.  It makes the most sense to tag in some way Becton next year.
  • There is now way the Jets can give Becton a long, guaranteed contract.  I would consider guaranteeing 1.5x the Transition Tag.  

50 minutes ago, billo83 said:

Can't they extend him with contract language requiring him to attend regular workouts during the offseason and not exceed his playing weight? That way he can't balloon up to 400 and crash diet right before training camp? That way he stays in shape all year and not right before he has to start playing

Yes. some form of stipulation that the Cardinals' midget QB had: 

6 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

If Zach falls flat or doesn't improve enough, then you have an option taking a QB round 1 and sitting him for a year or 2 behind Rodgers.  Cannot assume a first rounder will be ready to start season 1.

In the meantime, you re-sign or franchise Becton depending on his progress and team him up with Tippmann and AVT moving forward.  Hopefully, there are quality Right Tackles and either a Center or Guard in free agency.  Depth will remain critical given AVT and Becton's injury histories so agree we need to continue fixing the line.

I personally believe all options should be on the table.  While I was a supporter of trading for Rodgers, I have not been happy about the players he brought with him.  At the end of the day, the Jets need to do what is best for 2024 and moving forward.  Has to be the message to Rodgers after this year and a retrospective look at the suspect 'Rodgers' signings such as Cook, Cobb, and others. 

I don't like to say never.  QB should always be on the table until we get it right.  I wanted a capable back-up this year (jury is still out on Zach) and for them to draft a mid rounder.  They chose not to go that route and we'll see what happens next.  But if Zach proves not to be the guy, then we need to continue that search for a franchise QB ... and in doing so, nothing should be off the table.  

34 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

.5 Sack Baby Huey Williams agrees. 

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.2lh3wn1CA-rB3c6GBQYlBgHaK2%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=60e6eee4cba2b03b917cf26ce7a87f12928a566014e9f5dcdcb3c42f2285c234&ipo=images