The real reason Zach hasn’t panned out?

After the 2021 draft I came to this here board with a question, which in reality was more of a concern. The question was: what makes anyone think the Jets will be able to properly develop another QB prospect? After countless draft picks and a carousel of coaches over 10+ years what is different about Saleh etc that will be able to make ZW successful?

The most consistent answer by a large margin at the time was the hiring of Gregg Knapp. A super valid answer in my opinion. We all know what happened after that (RIP). It’s not really ever talked about either. I really wonder how things would’ve turned out. Knapp was the only veteran coach they had and he was supposed to be a QB whisperer. ZW then got left with 2 rookie coaches and he supposedly was incredibly tight with Knapp.

Crazy to think about and really kind of eerie when thought about in terms of a Jets curse. Also I don’t think this is the only reason for ZW’s struggles, but it is interesting to consider.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, wediditjoe said:

After the 2021 draft I came to this here board with a question, which in reality was more of a concern. The question was: what makes anyone think the Jets will be able to properly develop another QB prospect? After countless draft picks and a carousel of coaches over 10+ years what is different about Saleh etc that will be able to make ZW successful?

The most consistent answer by a large margin at the time was the hiring of Gregg Knapp. A super valid answer in my opinion. We all know what happened after that (RIP). It’s not really ever talked about either. I really wonder how things would’ve turned out. Knapp was the only veteran coach they had and he was supposed to be a QB whisperer. ZW then got left with 2 rookie coaches and he supposedly was incredibly tight with Knapp.

Crazy to think about and really kind of eerie when thought about in terms of a Jets curse. Also I don’t think this is the only reason for ZW’s struggles, but it is interesting to consider.

Naw.  He should have ditched the headband sooner.  Too little too late.

• Haha 1

Hahaha no one is capable of having a normal conversation when it comes to Zach.

Obviously he sucks, that wasn’t the question. The question was why does he suck and the original question was what makes anyone think the Jets are capable of developing any QB, not just Zach. There’s no doubt Zach would be decent if the 9ers drafted him that year.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wediditjoe said:

Also he was going to have talented players around him as well. I wish Zach was good.

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The niners literally drafted a qb that year trey Lance that they couldn't develop 

They did 3 things the Jets couldn't... Draft another one for competition, admit they made a bad pick, and move on 

They did not pass on Purdy to protect trey 

This is what smart franchises do

but this clown show just keeps trotting out the worst qb in the nfl every week and tell us he’s doing great. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

At some point you have to come to terms with what you have. There is enough talent on the team for a QB to be successful if they can pass the ball and read a defense. Zach has shown to be lacking in both areas. I don't  think even Andy Reid can get Zach to look like an NFL QB. Watching Zach during pregame warm ups told me a lot as I look back on it now. He looked like he didn't  have a care in the world, smiling while doing stretching and agility drills. This was literally minutes before the game. Where is the intensity,  where is the game face. This is not how a guy who has  not thrown a TD in his last few games should look. 

Agree with the first part, the warm-up assessment game face part is iffier. 

At some point you have to come to terms with what you have. There is enough talent on the team for a QB to be successful if they can pass the ball and read a defense. Zach has shown to be lacking in both areas. I don't  think even Andy Reid can get Zach to look like an NFL QB. Watching Zach during pregame warm ups told me a lot as I look back on it now. He looked like he didn't  have a care in the world, smiling while doing stretching and agility drills. This was literally minutes before the game. Where is the intensity,  where is the game face. This is not how a guy who has  not thrown a TD in his last few games should look. 
This is an excellent observation... And one of the most annoying things about this entire fiasco.

Imagine being a complete failure at your job for a few months and then show up to work as Mr HappyGoLucky .... I'd be serious as **** trying to stay ultra focused.

Zach has more money than all of us combined .. wtf do we know ... Totally depressed now .. thanks bell.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

It's a couple of things. 

Yes, the Jets can not develop QBs. Partly, this is down to coaching. The Jets seem averse to appointing anything other than meat-headed, risk averse defensive head coaches. It's like we are still stuck in the 1970s. The one time we did appoint an offensive guy, was Adam Gaze who was a borderline sociopath. 

The other issue is we struggle at evaluating rookie QBs in the first place. The guys we do take generally fail elsewhere after their initial stint with the Jets. 

So we don't know what we are looking at before we draft a QB and we don't know what to do with them, when we do. 

We now have to wait at least another 14 months before we clean house, and try again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

It's never Zachs fault 

It's always someone else's fault 

Poor Zach Wilson who got everything he ever wanted in life and never earned any of it 

He's like a side character in Charlie and the chocolate factory. One of the kids that falls in the river or something 

It can’t just be that Zach was an insanely overrated prospect 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:
It can’t just be that Zach was an insanely overrated prospect 

It's certainly very possible...even likely... Unfortunately we will never know

Edited by Dunnie

Yeah it’s not like the last 3 years happened 
Oh .. they definitely happened... It's just this fing team has so many failures at so many levels... Hard to know exactly why it didn't work ... What the Offensive side of the ball is doing now is a disgrace..

I think its a combination of many things and a QB that doesn't have any idea how to lead.

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Oh .. they definitely happened... It's just this fing team has so many failures at so many levels... Hard to know exactly why it didn't work ... What the Offensive side of the ball is doing now is a disgrace..

I think its a combination of many things and a QB that doesn't have any idea how to lead.

Just like how we will never know about Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell

• Haha 1

Just like how we will never know about Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell
I don't think it's the same thing at all in the Chargers case ... Raiders ... That's as dysfunctional as the Jets. Whatever the case ... I don't see any light .. even if Zach gets banished.

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

They did not pass on Purdy to protect trey 

7th round literal last pick in the draft. I don’t care what your QB situation is, you take a QB late regardless just for a pipeline, backup and trade bait. The Jets, whose desperately needed a QB, are too smart for this. I refuse to give JD slack and blame Woody. JD is responsible for the roster. He’s done a miserable job on offense, the area that was supposed to be his focus. This is the worst Jets offense of the last 12 year period of inept offense. 

• Upvote 2