Jets sign Brett Rypien, release Boyle

Matt39

37 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yep - I made this point in another thread. The Jets coaches are always going on and on and on (and on) about their "system" - Saleh talks about the importance of experience in his system. Hackett talked at length about Boyle being experienced in his system right before the Miami game. He's been cut less than 2 weeks later. 

Bad coaches use their "'system" as a crutch to make decisions for them. 

It's a combination of laziness and arrogance. They don't want to make the effort to teach guys the system, or modify their systems so that the new guys can play in it.

47 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

The Jets love to sign QBs who "know the system" rather than QBs who have some talent and maybe untapped potential. That's why we get backups like Boyle, Siemian, Rypien and Falk instead of guys like Browning and Dobbs.

The NY Jets. The George Costanza of NFL football.

What a crock of sh*t.  Browning and Dobbs are just the kind of sh*t that you would be complaining about.  You like the aggressive Vikings going out and getting Dobbs?  Well, they cut Browning for Kellen ******* Mond.  Dobbs is 2-9 and has already been benched by two teams this season.  Can you imagine you jokers attitude if they had given up a pick for him and then benched him?  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

32 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Correct.  I heard on a podcast Zach has something like a dead cap hit of $20 million this year, so he was never going to be cut this year.  Next year is a cap hit of around $8 million.   he is gone after this year.

@Sperm Edwards  correct me if I'm wrong

Just using round #s without looking it up, but say ~$10MM of the cap hit was paid in advance from his original signing bonus (the amortized amount that's left of the orig $20MM; 1/4 of it comes off each yr on a 4 yr contract), so that had to hit the cap anyway.

The other ~$10MM was in guaranteed pay in 2023 and 2024.

So whether it was $20MM in 2023 and $0 in 2024, $10MM in each season, or $15MM and $5MM, it adds up to a $20MM total whether they kept him or cut him. The "when" on those hits is not terribly important, since the disparity ($10MM max) was an amount that can be shuffled around with other players hitting later instead of now. 

He was free, in that there was no payout to save on a fully guaranteed contract, other than the roster spot. The only ways that would've materially changed the cap hit it is if he (a) retired, (b) got suspended, or (c) found his way to a new team that was willing trade for him & eat the last 2 guaranteed seasons of his rookie contract.

Maybe they could've recouped a million or so if they cut him and then someone else signed him (and kept him all offseason) if there was offset language in his contract, but they cumulatively throw around a lot more than that on random scrub FAs they add and drop throughout the season so it'd be a non-factor.

• Upvote 3

Not sure what that means. Jets are in dire need of offense. EVERYWHERE. Rodgers would appreciate any pick on O. Are you insinuating Joe D will prove he is even a bigger complete moron and big another D player next first round too ?
He is saying that he wants them to go qb

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Woody Johnson. No one can fire him. The only people above him are - us the fans. Only the fans can push him out. It would take a drastic, complete effort by all. Not buying tickets, not going to stadium, until woody sells. 

Fans are above the owner? 😂😂😂😂 Are you for real? We’re at the bottom of the food chain.

Woody isn’t going anywhere, in fact he’s going to leave the team to his 16yo son who will out live you and everyone here. The boycott talk is so childish and stupid. 
Rather than complain about an owner you don’t like, who is making a fortune owning HIS team, why not go find another one with an owner you do like.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jetswin said:

I know people hate Zach but defending a rat? When would anyone on this board do that in another situation? Everyone hated MacCags because they thought him a leaker (amongst other qualifying hatable attributes lol).

I don't believe there is a rat. LOL. This is more subterfuge page 6 nonsense manufactured by the sh*theads in public relations. The same sh*theads who have Arodge answering the phones like this is some Jerry Lewis muscular dystrophy drive. 

This is beyond embarrassing. I gave up on this team yesterday, my God what is everyone waiting for? 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Most years the team is just awful and embarrassing. This year it's such a dumpster fire of drama that it's comically bad. 

I hope it is true that Boyle thought he could leak a comment from ZW to get him off the team to secure his own spot, but it blew up in his face and probably ended his tenuous grasp on an NFL career. That would be the funniest version of these events. 

Tim Boyle didn’t leak sh*t. That’s just a poster here who is trying to come off as an insider.

The only guy we know who’s leaked anything is Saleh in his texts to Benigno. Why didn’t the Jets fire/release him?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Fans are above the owner? 😂😂😂😂 Are you for real? We’re at the bottom of the food chain.

Woody isn’t going anywhere, in fact he’s going to leave the team to his 16yo son who will out live you and everyone here. The boycott talk is so childish and stupid. 
Rather than complain about an owner you don’t like, who is making a fortune owning HIS team, why not go find another one with an owner you do like.

Well there will always be those certain cockhold fans who will ALWAYS eat whatever scraps their piss poor owner feeds them. Those little weaklings keep woody safe from not being forced to sell. But it’s been done before 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

What a crock of sh*t.  Browning and Dobbs are just the kind of sh*t that you would be complaining about.  You like the aggressive Vikings going out and getting Dobbs?  Well, they cut Browning for Kellen ******* Mond.  Dobbs is 2-9 and has already been benched by two teams this season.  Can you imagine you jokers attitude if they had given up a pick for him and then benched him?  

Browning looks like a player.  The Bengals might have something with that guy.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Well there will always be those certain cockhold fans who will ALWAYS eat whatever scraps their piss poor owner feeds them. Those little weaklings keep woody safe from not being forced to sell. But it’s been done before 

Good luck with your boycott

(see you here on Sunday)

35 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Why is it weird to cut the starting QB that been with the team the whole season 2 days after he was named starter for a game?? 

Tim Boyle came into the Buffalo game and was named the starter for the Miami and Atlanta games. His QBR was 12. To explain to you, how bad that is, Zach Wilson’s QBR was 30. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Other than whining on the internet, what makes you different?

I complain more than most, and buy less (apart from Sunday Ticket) than many, but I'm under no silly fantasy that that effect Woody in any meaningful way.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Other than whining on the internet, what makes you different?

I complain more than most, and buy less (apart from Sunday Ticket) than many, but I'm under no silly fantasy that that effect Woody in any meaningful way.

I don’t know why some many are butthurt what I said. All I said was fans can definitely make an owner miserable enough to sell. Instead of always booing the players who are doing their best, boo who really is the problem.  

Commanders, A’s, just within last yr have made it well known their displeasure. It’s getting to that point. Luckily Aaron saves woody at least another from fan backlash. But it’s certainly brewing. 

30 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I don’t know why some many are butthurt what I said. All I said was fans can definitely make an owner miserable enough to sell.

20+ years of loathing, a near total abandonment of their beloved franchise, and it did literally nothing to help get rid of Dan Snyder. 

It took a variety of lawbreaking and league rule-breaking (and fraud) to make that happen.  Fans can't get rid of NFL owners, only those owners themselves can.

Instead of always booing the players who are doing their best, boo who really is the problem.

Some players best deserves boos, albeit I'm not personally boo-my-team kinda guy. 

Commanders

As noted, Fans had very little to do with Dan's departure.

A’s

He wasn't forced out, he got what he wanted, relocated to a new city with a (soon to be) shiny new paid-for stadium.

It’s getting to that point. Luckily Aaron saves woody at least another from fan backlash. But it’s certainly brewing. 

Enjoy that daydream if it makes you happy.  The front office, coaches and Zacg may be on their way out the next 12-24 months, but Woody isn;t going anywhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1