god I miss rex

kmnj

I don’t want to go backwards so a hard no on Rex.  If you asked me to switch Rex with Saleh I’m not even sure I would say yes to that.  Rex may have been slightly better defensively than Saleh but it’s not enough to make any tangible difference.  

The problem is the offense.  We’ve had terrible offenses since the Rex Ryan era yet the offenses that Rex had are still much much better than the offenses we’ve had with Gase and Saleh.  

This is on the GM obviously which is why I’m firmly of the belief that Joe Douglas is one of the worst GMs this team has ever had.   Offensive coaching staff is terrible.  Personnel is terrible outside of Hall, Wilson and possibly Conklin.  The QBS on this team are on par with Luke Falk.   Douglas and Saleh should both go at the end of the season.    Hackett should’ve been fired yesterday.  

6 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Jets have never had a good GM. Mangini was the defecto gm when he was HC. He wanted to build strong OL, got MT to get some good players. He just couldn’t coach a D anywhere near Rex. Rex took mangini’s 20th ranked D and instantly made it number 1.  

The roster starting fading after those 2 years of back to back AFC championships because it was MT and Rex drafting/ building roster. This is similar to know, Joe D has no clue how to build a team, and his HC isn’t gm worthy either. 

This is note worthy.  People forget that Rex took “Mangini’s” defense from a mediocre 20th ranked to immediately #1 the year later.  Defense under Saleh has been good but hasn’t been great or elite like it was under Rex.   

I do miss Rex a lot because I was a big fan of him but I’m a realist to results matter.  He didn’t get it done the back half of his tenure so he had to go yet we are keeping on a staff and organization that has never gotten it done.   Mind boggling.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

HAHAHAHAHAHA.  Comparing Rex to Parcells is laughable.
Parcells is a hall of famer.  One of the greatest to ever do it.  Was 29-19 as hc of nyj.
Rex is a total buffoon.  Ran 2 organizations into the ground.  Was 46-50 as hc of nyj.

4 play off wins
2 AFCCG appearances

He was more successful than parcels with the Jets.

Period

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Dex - Cause it was a show about a serial killer

Hex - Cause it was weird math with lettesr and stuff

Lex - Cause it was a corny but cool sci fi show.

Mex - Cause who doesn't like tacos!

Rex -Cause he was a coach

Sex - Well duh

Tex - country music man

Vex - Cause ya'll piss me off

• Upvote 1

The problem with every "regime" since Woody's been the owner, is they always seem to gradually get worse, year after year, season after season. There never seems to be an upward trajectory on the line graph. On the other side of that, Woody World has never stayed consistent enough with his hired hands to see if they could have turned it around. He gave Herm and Bradway way too much time. Rex and Tanny... to Boles and Gase? Idzik? 

Ah, F it. I'm done with it. What a waste of time. 

• Upvote 1

What’s funny is that Tanny and Rex are the perfect plug n play GM/coach combo to finish the job with a hall of fame ex-Green Bay QB. They are the only option if you fire JD and Saleh that would work for a short window BEFORE any true rebuild.

We are at such a pathetic low point and facing a literal “all-in” year with a coach and GM that we all despise. I’d rather see Tanny and Rex get a crack at winning it all than JD and Salad. At least we could get behind them. JD and Salad are 100% the enemy at this point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

What’s funny is that Tanny and Rex are the perfect plug n play GM/coach combo to finish the job with a hall of fame ex-Green Bay QB. They are the only option if you fire JD and Saleh that would work for a short window BEFORE any true rebuild.

We are at such a pathetic low point and facing a literal “all-in” year with a coach and GM that we all despise. I’d rather see Tanny and Rex get a crack at winning it all than JD and Salad. At least we could get behind them. JD and Salad are 100% the enemy at this point. 

Yea, the only option, got it.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rex was fun for a bit.  The league figured him out.  Then he couldn’t even get an interview when the U of Miami HC job opened up a few years back.

Let it go.  

Yeah, turns out narcissism is often confused with leadership qualities, until it gets over-exposed and creates toxic mess. I still think the franchise is suffering from the dynamic created by Rex and Idzik. I think Rex’s betrayal made Woody an even worse owner.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1

Tbh, I don't miss Rex at all.  He did have 2 great playoff runs but he had multiple years after that (and then another year with Buffalo) and never came close again.  I think some of it was Tanny trading away draft picks every year to move up, leaving us with no depth (and that came back to bite us over time).  But the whole thing went stale.  I don't think it can be revived.  And how bad would it look if we went back to Rex and gave him another 2-3 years and it failed?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, funaz said:

Rex was more successful than Parcels with the Jets.

Rex was the best coach the jets have had in 50 years. You don’t have to like it but you have to accept it

Rex ran the clubhouse like a kindergarten.  Of course the players loved him.  He had a couple of good rosters for a while, had zero clue of offense (like Saleh).  If you think he was the best Jets coach, then fine.  I completely disagree. He ran it to the ground.  Or should I say he stood by and let the building burn down around him.  *That* is NOT a good HC.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yeah, turns out narcissism is often confused with leadership qualities, until it gets over-exposed and creates toxic mess. I still think the franchise is suffering from the dynamic created by Rex and Idzik. I think Rex’s betrayal made Woody an even worse owner.

Yep.  Also the hubris that came along with it.  You could see offenses figuring Rex’s scheme out - like opponents picking up overload blitzes with ease - and he stubbornly refused to adapt.  I.E. like in Buffalo when he had an elite DL dropping back into coverage (thus they fell from a top 5 unit, statistically, under Jim Schwartz, to being outside the top 20 under Rex).  

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, kmnj said:

the rex era was so much fun-the stadium was rocking and was LOUD-no stupid gimmicks just loud crazy fans cheering their asses off -revis island was in full force and we were in the playoffs-in my best Jim Mora voice yes playoffs. 

Even at its worst moments the Rex "circus" was ten million times better than the Saleh trash which is not even remotely entertaining or competitive-I took receipts and bob they don't look good.

that is all.....

I don't even think Rex would hire Saleh as his DC at this point. 

12 hours ago, kmnj said:

the rex era was so much fun-the stadium was rocking and was LOUD-no stupid gimmicks just loud crazy fans cheering their asses off -revis island was in full force and we were in the playoffs-in my best Jim Mora voice yes playoffs. 

Even at its worst moments the Rex "circus" was ten million times better than the Saleh trash which is not even remotely entertaining or competitive-I took receipts and bob they don't look good.

that is all.....

My fave Jets coach in the last 50 plus years

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, kmnj said:

that is all.....

Rex started great but he became a worse and worse head coach over time which is sort of bizarre if you think about it. Don't miss him at all.

51 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Rex started great but he became a worse and worse head coach over time which is sort of bizarre if you think about it. Don't miss him at all.

That’s because after what’s his name left (his dc) can’t remember his name.. Mike pettine?  The defense began to crumble and undisciplined stupid play (a ny jets trademark) ensued under Rex’s great tutelage. Greatest coach ever to some jets fans. How sad.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

13 hours ago, funaz said:

Rex was more successful than Parcels with the Jets.

Rex was the best coach the jets have had in 50 years. You don’t have to like it but you have to accept it

Rex was a glorified defensive coordinator but he is by every metric our most successful head coach last 30 years and that even includes Parcells.  Parcells obviously better but Rex is easily the second best head coach since Carroll for a still unknown reason got fired after one season 

6 minutes ago, BP said:

If only Rex was here and we had another chance to lose back to back AFC championship games.. if only lol some jets fans standards are very very low. That’s sad too

We haven’t even appeared in a playoff game in 15 years.  Rex’s “bad years” two of them he went 8-8. Yes, Rex is looking good compared to our last half dozen head coaches 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We haven’t even appeared in a playoff game in 15 years.  Rex’s “bad years” two of them he went 8-8. Yes, Rex is looking good compared to our last half dozen head coaches 

That’s what’s sad. And woody vehemently stands by his record.

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Woody is the unofficial GM.  Our last several head coaches since Rex all were bad but Woody is the real culprit 

You left out young Christopher picking Gase. That can’t be ignored. He was trained by woody. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, the only option, got it.

As in the organization is at a low point, no one wants to come here and Woody throws his hand up in the air hopeless. I’d rather do the right thing and find the right combo that’s here for the long term and not have to deal with Rodgers at all. While AR and the circus is here, you would need to either run it back with a JD and Salad (who both deserve to be shot into the sun) or find some kind of half measure to get over the hump.

All I'm saying is Rex and Tanny are perfect for the short term inorganic sh*t show that we are in. That’s how big of a mess this team is currently in. I’m looking for any realistic solution possible to just get away from the current front office and don’t see Woody making a change unless it’s something simple like this that wouldn’t involve a search or much thought on his part since we know thinking isn’t Woody’s strength. Thats why I say plug n play. Name me an easier plug n play option than Tanny and Rex.

16 hours ago, THE BARON said:

ME TOOOO.... I love Rex and miss him as Jets HC.  Always a fun time and he was the only one with the pure football brans to outmatch Belichick. 

Rex was and can still be a great HC so long as you don't let him take over the roster decisions.  He's an emotional reactionary and you should never let such a personality be in charge of shopping for the groceries.  They make great leader types but they are not objective enough to make the personnel decisions. 

Rex's reign was the beginning of this demise.  He was and is over rated.  Baltimore, where he was DC, wouldn't hire him. They still have the same HC, a SB, winning records etc.  Be honest with yourself, I see you neg repped others over Rex, why wouldn't Baltimore hire him and they went to a defensive backs coach.  Why?  They jniew, they had seen his antics, his Defenses were not complex. Heavy pash rush, good safety and CB coverage.  He never hired a good OC, didn't go to Off meetings. His Buffalo teams defense got worse after he arrived, better after he left. But yes, let's pretend because of 2 years, he is the saviour.

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Also the hubris that came along with it.  You could see offenses figuring Rex’s scheme out - like opponents picking up overload blitzes with ease - and he stubbornly refused to adapt.  I.E. like in Buffalo when he had an elite DL dropping back into coverage (thus they fell from a top 5 unit, statistically, under Jim Schwartz, to being outside the top 20 under Rex).  

Why can't all these morons who love Rex comprehend what you just wrote. It is so fukkin obvious. I remember Harbaugh bringing in Kapernick in 2012 I believe, running a wildcat and embarrassing REX.  Rex had no answer. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1