Who sits behind Rogers next season

SoJetsy

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

If Douglas and Rodgers get their way it’ll be Wilson.

If Saleh and the coaching staff get their way it’ll be Tannehill or Brissett. 

Tannehill is ideal for me. Experienced starter who is familiar with the coaching staff. If he has to start a couple games or more, I don't think our season gets derailed.

Wilson at 2 is just a bad decision. If they still believe in him, let him be QB3. It’ll be an expensive QB room though.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Tannehill is ideal for me. Experienced starter who is familiar with the coaching staff. If he has to start a couple games or more, I don't think our season gets derailed.

Wilson at 2 is just a bad decision. If they still believe in him, let him be QB3. It’ll be an expensive QB room though.

Just wonder if it’s something he’s even interested in. If he is I would think he’ll be first on the list 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, football guy said:

If Douglas and Rodgers get their way it’ll be Wilson.

If Saleh and the coaching staff get their way it’ll be Tannehill or Brissett. 

How in the living F is Wilson even a consideration? Like how do you even sell that situation to the fan base? You’re gonna say, don’t worry, it’s gonna work this time? Lol. I’d quit if I was Saleh and that was considered. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

How in the living F is Wilson even a consideration? Like how do you even sell that situation to the fan base? You’re gonna say, don’t worry, it’s gonna work this time? Lol. I’d quit if I was Saleh and that was considered. 

Because you don’t go into the season expecting to lose your starting QB. And if JD/Rodgers got their way, they would argue that Zach performed just as you would expect a backup to perform given the circumstances, would have another year under his belt in the system, still growing as a player, etc. 

Money allocation is a real thing, and it’s very uncommon to roster expensive backups who are capable starting QBs behind expensive starters. Those players often sign with teams where there’s a chance at competing for a starting job or with teams who have cheap starting QBs. 

It’s likely moot point because I expect a mutual parting of the ways, but fans should be prepared to be underwhelmed whoever the backup winds up being… Brissett and Tannehill will have other options, so it wouldn’t shock me one bit if Rypein wound up the backup.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 4

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

Because you don’t go into the season expecting to lose your starting QB. And if JD/Rodgers got their way, they would argue that Zach performed just as you would expect a backup to perform given the circumstances, would have another year under his belt in the system, still growing as a player, etc. 

Money allocation is a real thing, and it’s very uncommon to roster expensive backups who are capable starting QBs behind expensive starters. Those players often sign with teams where there’s a chance at competing for a starting job or with teams who have cheap starting QBs. 

It’s likely moot point because I expect a mutual parting of the ways, but fans should be prepared to be underwhelmed whoever the backup winds up being… Brissett and Tannehill will have other options, so it wouldn’t shock me one bit if Rypein wound up the backup.

I would be shocked by that. Woody is going to be hounded about the backup on social media. That alone is enough to get it dobe.

The backup QB market isn't insane $ wise for the value they bring. They will have a quality backup next year.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I would be shocked by that. Woody is going to be hounded about the backup on social media. That alone is enough to get it dobe.

The backup QB market isn't insane $ wise for the value they bring. They will have a quality backup next year.

Who do you see as a capable backup wanting to sign here for 1 year, $5 million?

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

agreed. 

the entire NFL 3rd string QBs make around 1 million dollars. if Zach stays he makes 5 mil, if he gets cut its a 11 million dead cap hit. there is no way were adding another QB making 5-8 mil. 

It has always made sense to have a good backup QB and I have had endless arguments on here with others about it.   I'd always be in favor of paying some backup 8-10 million a year and people would not want to spend on a backup and often say 'oh if the starter goes down the season is over!'

This team in the past would be happy to give Ben Ijalana 8 million a year to be a backup swing tackle but would go cheap on the backup QB.

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think Douglas is the guy but no one is this dumb. They were out on Zach at Christmas time last year until Woody stepped in. 

So nobody is that dumb but Woody is.

That might be the truest thing I've read today

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Who do you see as a capable backup wanting to sign here for 1 year, $5 million?

I didn't say they would get someone for 5 million. But they have to get someone.

Brisset signed for like 8 million this year.

Tyrods Average value isn't crazy.

Douglas and Saleh have millions of dollars riding on next season. Playoffs and their life is good.

They might get fired but it won't be for making the same mistake they made this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, doitny said:

agreed. 

the entire NFL 3rd string QBs make around 1 million dollars. if Zach stays he makes 5 mil, if he gets cut its a 11 million dead cap hit. there is no way were adding another QB making 5-8 mil. 

He won’t be cut. He’ll have a trade market and my guess is he’d wind up with a team like DEN, PHI, SF, KC, MIN as their primary backup (or competing to start in DEN) but we’d be taking on a $5m hit. So as you’re alluding to, we would be paying a guy $5-8m plus taking on the dead cap hit. 

Ultimately I expect them to mutually make a decision to move on, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Rodgers tries to mend the fences and move forward with the original plan.

• Upvote 1