Vrabel Fired

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Did McKinsey write this:

Earlier today, I spoke with Mike Vrabel and told him about my decision to make a change at head coach. As I told Coach Vrabel, this decision was as difficult as any I’ve made as Controlling Owner. I appreciate Mike’s contributions to the Tennessee Titans both on and off the field. Anyone who has ever met him knows how passionate and genuine he is, and he’s been a strong supporter of the Nashville community. We wish Mike, Jen, and the Vrabel family nothing but the best in the future.

As the NFL continues to innovate and evolve, I believe the teams best positioned for sustained success will be those who empower an aligned and collaborative team across all football functions. Last year, we began a shift in our approach to football leadership and made several changes to our personnel to advance that plan. As I continued to assess the state of our team, I arrived at the conclusion that the team would also benefit from the fresh approach and perspective of a new coaching staff.

The first paragraph was a nice, sincere message.

The second paragraph was consultant speak gooble-di-gook and indirectly is negative and condesensing to Vrable.  I think they will regret it when Vrabel beats them.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think changing from ZW to AR gives Saleh a pretty good shot at bucking the trend.

but what does this have to do with the Titans firing Vrabel?

Even if AR does get him a winning record, it’s either an AFC Championship appearance or kick him to the curb. Getting to PO not enough with AR.

12 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Naive silliness. I see you're at it again, JetNation...

I get you're butthurt because I didn't think much of your Harbaugh-but-no-because-Woody thread, but "Prove me wrong" is an expression of doubt over the proposed outcome, not one of faith.  No naive silliness here.  

I am sure I'll post something actual stupid soon enough you can get forum-revenge for, have no fear.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I get you're butthurt because I didn't think much of your Harbaugh-but-no-because-Woody thread, but "Prove me wrong" is an expression of doubt over the proposed outcome, not one of faith.  No naive silliness here.  

I am sure I'll post something actual stupid soon enough you can get forum-revenge for, have no fear.

Oh, we're there, you just don't realize it. If you had actually read any of the original or subsequent posts, this might have made a little bit of sense. But carry on.

this guy just won a mealiness december game and cost his team draft position. and he played Derrick Henry too. we dont need stupid guys like that.

btw this is sarcasm for all those who werent on this board at 4pm Sunday.

20 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Oh, we're there, you just don't realize it. If you had actually read any of the original or subsequent posts, this might have made a little bit of sense. But carry on.

If you say so. Guess the butthurt is going linger a while.  /shrug.

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

The second paragraph was consultant speak gooble-di-gook and indirectly is negative and condesensing to Vrable.  I think they will regret it when Vrabel beats them.  

If your nepo baby owner is using the word empower,  run for the hills. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Vrabel got fired because he's missing a vowel, or the letters are arranged wrong.

We never would've approved your username if you tried to make it vrajet

@Maxman is very strict about these things.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If you say so. Guess the butthurt is going linger a while.  /shrug.

No butthurt here, bud. I'm actually pretty amused with this. I stopped taking you seriously early today when you were exhibiting all of the signature things that rise up when you're in one of your moods. We've all seen it before... logic, comprehension, self-awareness eschewed in favor of straw men and hypocrisy all in the name of some kind of angry guy cause you seem to enjoy. Doesn't mean I don't still love you.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

No butthurt here, bud. I'm actually pretty amused with this. I stopped taking you seriously early today when you were exhibiting all of the signature things that rise up when you're in one of your moods. We've all seen it before... logic, comprehension, self-awareness eschewed in favor of straw men and hypocrisy all in the name of some kind of angry guy cause you seem to enjoy. Doesn't mean I don't still love you.

And I love you too bro, you know that, which is why I'm still asking, what response were you seeking from the OP?  Seriously, inform me, help an old slow pal, what were you hoping people would say?  No judgement, I really want to know.  We all have some expectation when we write OP's, I really want to know what you thought the universal reply would/might be.  

I think we all generally agree Woody sucks in terms of his decision making.  Results speak louder than all our words.  I think most of us think JD/Saleh deserve to be fired.  I think most of us would sign on with Harbaugh as HC at least. 

But since Woody has clearly said we're running it back and no firings.....and we all (well, most, or many) disagree with Woody, and it clearly doesn't change him at all.....do you really think the Fans can change it, despite the case here in DC where it totally didn't despite a much worse owner?  Help me understand.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And I love you too bro, you know that, which is why I'm still asking, what response were you seeking from the OP?  Seriously, inform me, help an old slow pal, what were you hoping people would say?  No judgement, I really want to know.  We all have some expectation when we write OP's, I really want to know what you thought the universal reply would/might be.  

I think we all generally agree Woody sucks in terms of his decision making.  Results speak louder than all our words.  I think most of us think JD/Saleh deserve to be fired.  I think most of us would sign on with Harbaugh as HC at least. 

But since Woody has clearly said we're running it back and no firings.....and we all (well, most, or many) disagree with Woody, and it clearly doesn't change him at all.....do you really think the Fans can change it, despite the case here in DC where it totally didn't despite a much worse owner?  Help me understand.

Sometimes (actually, most times probably, especially on the rare occasion I start a topic), it's to vent. I clearly acknowledged from minute one that Harbaugh is not on the table (if you had read it). I was pointing out, as I will every single time it happens, a failure of Woody's as it is topical. Harbaugh is topical for several reasons, the day after he wins the NCAA championship and is now likely to transition back to the NFL. It's one example of an obvious choice to make that won't be made. I figured I'd highlight that, especially for the benefit of those here who continue to insist that he is a good owner (because he spends to the salary cap?), despite his miserable track record of failure as an owner and a human being. Seemed to me a smart guy like you would get that obviously (again, if you had read it). It's not me pining for it to happen. I clearly see it won't. The point is, it should. As McCarthy should have. As Peyton should have. As other future decisions will. I'm highlighting a pertinent bullet point on his resume and planting a stake in the ground, because it's something to think about BEFORE Harbaugh moves on and succeeds elsewhere instead of AFTER. That's all.

3 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Sometimes (actually, most times probably, especially on the rare occasion I start a topic), it's to vent. I clearly acknowledged from minute one that Harbaugh is not on the table (if you had read it).

I did read it after our first exchange, for what it's worth.  

Rather than do my usual line by line thing, I'll just say I agree, Woody sucks.  And drop out.  Sorry bro, honestly.  

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I did read it after our first exchange, for what it's worth.  

Rather than do my usual line by line thing, I'll just say I agree, Woody sucks.  And drop out.  Sorry bro, honestly.  

I knew that too. Could tell you did once I called you on it.

No need to be sorry, but you know me. Let me finish a thought before you jump into dismissal mode.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Vrabel is a damn good coach.

Puzzling decision unless it is a personality clash…

This kind of smells like someone got caught cheating....Vrabel was definitely getting in touch with Kraft gauging the situation there and probably would have forced the Titans to trade him or release him outright.

Tennessee caught wind and said you looking elsewhere? pack your sh*t and go.

If that's how it played out it is smart on the Titans part so they don't fall behind the coaching search.

4 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Vrabel is a good coach, but ULTRA conservative and picked awful offensive coordinators. 

Ran Carthon drafted Levis, likely gonna pair him with an upcoming OC to grow him(Johnson from Detroit?)

3 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

TEN is betting big on Levis as the future of the team. Vrabel couldn't rehab Mariota. Then he took Tannehill from the top of his career to absolute mush. Nothing happened with Willis. The last two seasons weren't good. TEN isn't wrong to want to shop for a new head coach who can develop Levis and take the team in a different direction,

I'm not saying Vrabel is a bad coach. The internal problems aside, he just doesn't look like the right fit for that team going forward.

Exactly.

Vrabel is a good coach (much better than the boobs in charge of the Jets) but ultimately, he's a conservative, defence-minded, ground and pound coach who rode a potential hall of famer to four winning seasons.

Titans decided that Vrabel wasn't the right man to take them to the promised land, and they're in a division where it seems that C.J. Stroud is set to dominate for the next 10 years. Perhaps they'll regret firing Vrabel if Stroud runs roughshod over the division, but Vrabel went 6-18 in his last 24 games (by comparison, Saleh went 8-16 in his last 24 games) and had a seven game losing streak in 2022 that saw them miss the playoffs.

There would be an initial euphoric reaction to Vrabel being hired as the head coach of the Jets (should Woody reverse course, fire Saleh and hire Vrabel) but we'd be bemoaning his conservative approach to game management pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Easily the favorite for the Patriots if they move on from BB. Fakkk

It's amazing how things are working out for the Pats.  2 decades (maybe closer to 3) of rousing successes.  The one year they fall off, an excellent coach, who is also young and also played for the Pats, is suddenly available.  And they have the #3 overall pick and there's still an excellent chance one of the top 2 QBs will fall to them.  Even if they take the #3 (assuming Jayden Daniels doesn't surpass Drake Maye), that's still a heck of a prospect.  Things are set up very well for them.

Meanwhile the Jets the longest streak of missing the post-season in the 4 major sports yet we're still a disaster.

5 hours ago, varjet said:

The word on the street was that Mayo was getting the job.  Let’s see if the Patriots can pivot to Vrabel, or if they would prefer Harbaugh.  

Let's hope that they promised Mayo the job and that they keep their promise.  At least he's an unknown.  Vrabel is a known commodity and a very solid HC.  If I were Woody, I'd fired Saleh on the spot and do everything possible to get Vrabel in here.  I'd kick JD to the curb too if that's what it took to get Vrabel here.

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

The idea that a Patriots ring of honor member would ever coach the Jets is silly. I’d take Vrabel tonight but he would never ever coach the Jets

Probably true but that doesn't mean Woody shouldn't try to convince him.  

Btw, how stupid are these teams?  Does Tennessee really think it's likely that they'll find a better HC than Vrabel?!  There aren't very many HCs of his caliber in the NFL.  Plus he's young enough that he could've been there for a LONG time.

1 hour ago, Aussie Jet said:

Exactly.

Vrabel is a good coach (much better than the boobs in charge of the Jets) but ultimately, he's a conservative, defence-minded, ground and pound coach who rode a potential hall of famer to four winning seasons.

Titans decided that Vrabel wasn't the right man to take them to the promised land, and they're in a division where it seems that C.J. Stroud is set to dominate for the next 10 years. Perhaps they'll regret firing Vrabel if Stroud runs roughshod over the division, but Vrabel went 6-18 in his last 24 games (by comparison, Saleh went 8-16 in his last 24 games) and had a seven game losing streak in 2022 that saw them miss the playoffs.

There would be an initial euphoric reaction to Vrabel being hired as the head coach of the Jets (should Woody reverse course, fire Saleh and hire Vrabel) but we'd be bemoaning his conservative approach to game management pretty quickly.

Or maybe that's what his personnel dictated?

1 hour ago, Ron Rico said:

Vrabel > Saleh.

Not ever close.

How GMs and HCs look at players with the mind of "always looking to upgrade and if players get traded or cut it's what's best for the team..." is the exact kind of mentality owners should have about GMs and HCs.

There are clear and proven upgrades out there: Harbaugh / Vrabel / potentially Belichick (yes I know he would never come here) / Gruden

Look to upgrad

7 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Vrabel has 4 straight winning seasons but can't win with a bag of quarterbacks that are arguably in the same vicinity as Zach Wilson?

Okay, yeah, fire the guy. lol

Personally, I think I would have taken him here in a second.