1 hour ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Anyone find it unusual that the KC/MIA game is being touted as one of the coldest in NFL history. But in Buffalo, where the temps won't get as dangerously cold as KC, they're moving the game to Monday. I guess if Peacock is paying the big bucks, they want it in the timeslot they pushed for - damn the fans.

I think they have shutdown or are going to shutdown travel in the state. So people would not be able to drive to the stadium anyway

On 1/9/2024 at 2:01 PM, David Harris said:

NFL is a whore. I'll be boycotting this. 

Fans Rightfully Crush NFL and NBC for Putting AFC Playoff Game Exclusively on Peacock (msn.com)

The NFL playoffs start this coming weekend and there’s one thing fans of all teams can agree on—it stinks that the NFL and NBC will be airing an AFC playoff game exclusively on Peacock. 

That’s right, if you want to watch the Kansas City Chiefs play either the Pittsburgh Steelers or Miami Dolphins, you’ll have to subscribe to Peacock to see the game. 

The NFL has been getting into the streaming business the past few years, but this is the first time fans will have to pay extra to see a playoff game. And there’s a reason for that—money. 

I would only do it if the Jets were playing in the game.  I wouldn't do it for this game, or any other NFL game.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

These costs add up charging for services in past always included or for free. It's part of the business culture getting every possible penny you can out of customers. And while you're at it push them to gamble on line. 

Corporations are the pumping machine.

Genersl population is the teet.

We’re hooked up and milked like ninja turtles, but bros love to cheer for capitalism and all.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Corporations are the pumping machine.

Genersl population is the teet.

We’re hooked up and milked like ninja turtles, but bros love to cheer for capitalism and all.

Price gouging isn't true capitalism. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh, and to be clear, price gouging is an extension of supply and demand which is definitively part of the free market.

So, you’re wrong at the micro and macro level. 

It's like with insulin. Supply and demand and return says $35 a month. But if you control a market and it's a necessary product you can charge 10x that and get it. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Rangers9 said:

It's like with insulin. Supply and demand and return says $35 a month. But if you control a market and it's a necessary product you can charge 10x that and get it. 

1.) You are comparing apples and oranges.

The NFL not charging us more for their product. The supply and demand for the NFL product is unchanged. 

The free market and advancing technology has created a new industry for myriad content carriers, as a result of the price gouging of cable carriers. Capitalism is exactly why there is a Peacock, Paramount, etc. Now, most of these carriers pay for exclusive rights licensing to carry content on their platform. 

We, as consumers, wanted an alternative to cable, got it, and it’s very predictably led to high costs + sprawl of choices.

2.) If you want cost control, which I fully understand, then what regulating institution would you expect to mediate that?

Problem is with multiple suppliers peacock, Amazon, NFL Network, YouTube, restricting playoff game access to one retailer feels like collusion and gouging. The consumer is getting raped repeatedly.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

You're probably right not an accurate comparison. But price gouging is for real and a major reason for inflation. And charging for services that were complimentary making up venues like NFL+ etc is indirectly price gouging because consumers are paying more for the same service they used to get cheaper. 

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

You know you want it. They are even going to tease you with the pregame on NBC.

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

ashamed puppy GIF

Yup, I'm ashamed.  I just signed up too.

Me too… I feel dirty. Worked all day, with the lady now and take out, WTF????  It’s only $6.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

You're probably right not an accurate comparison. But price gouging is for real and a major reason for inflation. And charging for services that were complimentary making up venues like NFL+ etc is indirectly price gouging because consumers are paying more for the same service they used to get cheaper. 

I know I am right. It’s just basic economics.

Price gouging is what we’ve all experienced the past several months, with milk and eggs. Companies ride the wave of perceived “inflation” to artificial gouging on items that will affect low income folks. Eggs, milk, soda, and fast food have been nuts with gouging. However, this is not what’s happening with the NFL.

The NFL was never complimentary. The licensing with cable was different, but make no mistake that blackouts and the Heidi game happened because of the contract the NFL had with cable companies, and nothing is free or complimentary. You just paid for it differently.

The issue is that the NFL has diversified their licensing contracts with all the new carriers, when they used to have 1.

We wanted an alternative to cable, we busted up that monopoly where they were guilty of price gouging, but now you have to pay for different providers (or choose which ones you’ll miss out on). 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I know I am right. It’s just basic economics.

Price gouging is what we’ve all experienced the past several months, with milk and eggs. Companies ride the wave of perceived “inflation” to artificial gouging on items that will affect low income folks. Eggs, milk, soda, and fast food have been nuts with gouging. However, this is not what’s happening with the NFL.

The NFL was never complimentary. The licensing with cable was different, but make no mistake that blackouts and the Heidi game happened because of the contract the NFL had with cable companies, and nothing is free or complimentary. You just paid for it differently.

The issue is that the NFL has diversified their licensing contracts with all the new carriers, when they used to have 1.

We wanted an alternative to cable, we busted up that monopoly where they were guilty of price gouging, but now you have to pay for different providers (or choose which ones you’ll miss out on). 

IMG_0399.jpeg

Just goes to show the power the NFL has though.

I used to watch a bunch of Yankee games.  Work from home a ton, and baseball is perfect as background noise and something you only have to occasionally direct your attention to.

YES Network was dropped from YouTubeTV, instead of subscribing to the YES app...  I didn't watch any Yankee game (or any MLB game) this year.

One damn NFL playoff game goes to Peacock, and I cave in.

NFL = crack 

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

One damn NFL playoff game goes to Peacock, and I cave in.

NFL = crack 

And this is exactly why an outlet like Peacock is willing to shell out big bucks for exclusive access to one game.  NFL rules the airwaves.  They know that a bunch of people will sign up for the free trial, but they are counting on a percentage of those folks to either forget to cancel access, or just deciding to keep it after a week.

• Upvote 1

How was the action on The Cock today? Good game on the cock this afternoon. The cock looked nice on my big screen. I don't normally play the cock on the big screen, today though it just felt right.

7 minutes ago, freestater said:

I'm hoping for an embarrassing blowout. Sign up now and watch crap football! 

I was about to say as long as it is the Phins getting blown out, but then I saw another one of those ubiquitous Mahomes/Reid State Farm commercials and thought that a Chiefs blowout loss could be fun too.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

And this is exactly why an outlet like Peacock is willing to shell out big bucks for exclusive access to one game.  NFL rules the airwaves.  They know that a bunch of people will sign up for the free trial, but they are counting on a percentage of those folks to either forget to cancel access, or just deciding to keep it after a week.

Yup.  I'll cancel immediately.

Any movies or shows myself/family/friends want to see are taken care of by other means.

No need for these services for anything other than NFL.