"Meaningless Wins"

14 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Maybe I had too much to drink but I was contemplating....we had that meaningless win back in 2020-21 that resulted in us moving down to #2 and getting the significantly worse QB, while Houston did the same thing this past year, and as a result they moved down to 2 and go the significantly BETTER QB?  

Life is funny eh?

If we would’ve had one more meaningless win. We don’t have the chance to draft ZW. Not to meaningless in hindsight 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Anthony Jet said:

If we would’ve had one more meaningless win. We don’t have the chance to draft ZW. Not to meaningless in hindsight 

I was in favor of giving Darnold one more year with some help around him(Jamarr Chase, although Sewell would have also been a big piece).  Looking back though, that 2022 draft was pretty godawful in terms of QBs, so perhaps they felt it was the time to move on in 2021.  I'm guessing we drop one more slot and we take Fields.  We'd be in better shape, but not much IMO.  I still think we're on the outside looking in with a guy like that, and most likely looking to draft a kid this year.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hex said:

I get the irony, but no QB in the 2021 draft class would have fixed this dumpster fire.

So you're one of those "if we drafted Mahomes he would have sucked" guys?  Also I don't buy this idea that QBs can be ruined.  Lawrence was terrible year one.  As was Peyton Manning.  If they're meant to figure it out, they will.  Also if you draft a QB like that, chances are they'll show you some flashes amongst the dumpster fire flames.  Darnold showed some.  Zach showed very little. 

Houston was a dumpster fire.  Now, a year later, they've moved on to the Divisonal Round.  Is it really just as simple as "good coach"?  BTW I don't know why I just thought of this, but remember after Stroud's first preseason game when people were calling him a bust?  Those were fun times.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, hawk said:

The last thing we want is to draft a QB early.  I hope we trade back from 10. 

High profile picks are force fed to the team, most likely due to the owner.

Trade back and move on if they suck.  Hit and get more draft capital.

I think I agree 

If we ever do find that coveted young franchise QB, it will be some mid round guy who sat behind a veteran for a couple of years and then balls when he gets his opportunity. 

It’s not going to be some top 5 draft pick/franchise savior 

too much pressure and this organization doesn’t know how to handle that 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

So you're one of those "if we drafted Mahomes he would have sucked" guys?  Also I don't buy this idea that QBs can be ruined.  Lawrence was terrible year one.  As was Peyton Manning.  If they're meant to figure it out, they will.  Also if you draft a QB like that, chances are they'll show you some flashes amongst the dumpster fire flames.  Darnold showed some.  Zach showed very little. 

Houston was a dumpster fire.  Now, a year later, they've moved on to the Divisonal Round.  Is it really just as simple as "good coach"?  BTW I don't know why I just thought of this, but remember after Stroud's first preseason game when people were calling him a bust?  Those were fun times.

I'm not one of those 'if we drafted Mahomes he would have sucked' guys. Lawrence is merely good. I believe Mahomes, or for that matter Stroud could have been a difference maker for the Jets, but Lawrence, while a good QB, is not good enough.

So I'm a more 'This team needs more than just a good QB to get over the hump' guy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

I'm not one of those 'if we drafted Mahomes he would have sucked' guys. Lawrence is merely good. I believe Mahomes, or for that matter Stroud could have been a difference maker for the Jets, but Lawrence, while a good QB, is not good enough.

So I'm a more 'This team needs more than just a good QB to get over the hump' guy.

Well I guess we'll never know until we finally....you know....find a good QB.  At least one who stays on the field.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I was in favor of giving Darnold one more year with some help around him(Jamarr Chase, although Sewell would have also been a big piece).  Looking back though, that 2022 draft was pretty godawful in terms of QBs, so perhaps they felt it was the time to move on in 2021.  I'm guessing we drop one more slot and we take Fields.  We'd be in better shape, but not much IMO.  I still think we're on the outside looking in with a guy like that, and most likely looking to draft a kid this year.  

Hindsight is 20/20. But the move was definitely not a qb that year. It’s an interesting question though, if ZW is off the board do they go QB? Qb 1,2&3 has that ever happen before?

28 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Hindsight is 20/20. But the move was definitely not a qb that year. It’s an interesting question though, if ZW is off the board do they go QB? Qb 1,2&3 has that ever happen before?

It's curious to think about what they would have done had they not taken a QB in 2021.  I don't think you take one in 2022 looking back at that class, so do you sign someone(just looked back at that UFA list:  Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, Mariota, Dalton....eek) or run it back with Darnold for a 5th year?  Maybe going that route means we look to draft a kid in 2023 instead.  Right now that looks like it wouldn't have been the worst strategy, since all those kids except Young look pretty promising right now.  Still, I can see why - at the time - they thought 2021 was their shot.  

11 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Well I guess we'll never know until we finally....you know....find a good QB.  At least one who stays on the field.

The problem is no QB is staying on the field with our OL. It’s not a question of if they will get hurt, it’s only a question of when they will get the hurt. Will it be in the 1st game after 4 plays or will it happen sometime later in the season.

If we ever can field a solid OL and a half way decent QB we may actually get to be in a playoff game again one day . . . instead of compiling meaningless wins at the end of every season.

12 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Trev was obvious QB1 2 years ago.

Last year, it always felt borderline quixotic for CAR to be pursuing a 5’10” 180lbs QB at #1 overall given the obviously pivot to CJ Stroud.

I didn't know much about Stroud but I was definitely against the idea of drafting a tiny QB like Bryce Young.  Glad the Jets didn't go down that road.

13 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Maybe I had too much to drink but I was contemplating....we had that meaningless win back in 2020-21 that resulted in us moving down to #2 and getting the significantly worse QB, while Houston did the same thing this past year, and as a result they moved down to 2 and go the significantly BETTER QB?  

Life is funny eh?

Isn't it ironic, don't ya think...

• Haha 1

JD missed the chalk pick in his first two drafts.  He went for Becton over Whirfs and Zach over FIelds.  You may not like Fields but he's way better than Zach and actually has a lot of trade value.   

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Siemian didn’t get hit/sacked at even close the same rate as Zach did.  Weird how that works.  

The question is would Siemian make it through an entire season without our OL getting him injured?

He might, but until I see any Jets QB make it through a season I remain skeptical of our OL.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

The question is would Siemian make it through an entire season without our OL getting him injured?

He might, but until I see any Jets QB make it through a season I remain skeptical of our OL.

I’m not saying the OL is really any good I’m just saying they were hamstrung quite a bit by a QB who was incapable of getting the ball out quickly.  

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Life is funny eh?

This is my Roman Empire. Think about it all the time.

The Jets would legit need luck like that to get out of their own way. Stroud is doing things a rookie just shouldn't be able to do. So impressive, beyond impressive.

In thinking about meaningless regular season wins I’m still stuck on this year and Jets wins against the Commanders and Patriots. But at the end of the day think about this….

2023-24 Playoff Victories

Cowboys - 0

Eagles - 0

Dolphins - 0

Jets - 0

• Upvote 2

On 1/14/2024 at 8:33 PM, bonkertons said:

Life is funny eh?

Yes and don’t forget Mac had a shot at Lamar and Allen but took the sunshine boy.

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m not saying the OL is really any good I’m just saying they were hamstrung quite a bit by a QB who was incapable of getting the ball out quickly.  

I agree 100%. Our recurring dream of ever getting a decent QB seems like the impossible dream at this point in my 55 yrs of being a Jets fan.

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2024 at 9:08 PM, bonkertons said:

We'll never know until this year - we do have a really good QB that is only a couple years removed from MVP and he'll be playing, so it won't be long before the team is turned around - for a couple of years anyhow. We just need someone to groom for two years.

• Upvote 1