Davante Adams Cost

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Not sure about everyone else… but it seems very realistic we trade for Adams this offseason. LV doesn’t have a QB and Adams’ contract doesn’t make sense for them if they’re rebuilding or even further… not contenders.

We also heard we tried to make a trade for him at trade deadline and LV didn’t want to. But seems we clearly have interest.

Unlike some of Rodgers other “buddies”… this guy actually is completely worth it and a difference maker. Still a top 5-10 WR in the league. GE and Adams for me would be the best WR duo in the league.

What do we think realistically it’ll cost to make him a Jet?

My guess is a 4th this year and a 2nd next year.

And once Adams is here… he restructures and makes his deal more team friendly. 

Im not going to say its very realistic more so its possible. The hackett / rodgers / adams connection is there but what is the cost? Can this team pay for a WR they must assume has maybe 2 seasons left in his prime? I was initially thinking a tag and trade with huff and a 2025 2nd or 3rd would do the trick, but the raider fan here seems to think that trading for a DE is the least of the teams worries. The jets cant trade the 10th overall. Only way I see it happening is if the jets trade down from 10, pick up an additional first in 2025 or a high 2024 second and flip that to the raiders but is that enough. Maybe the raiders invest in a QB this year and they want the stud WR on the roster to help him develop?

I'd say if we can't get a deal done with some players involved, its going to be hard considering adams just went to bat for pierce to be the teams HC. If this were any other team, i'd say to be aggressive in free agency and try to get a higgins or an evans, but I just cant wrap my head around a scenario where a top end FA WR would willingly want to sign here. WRers want stats, they want the opportunities and history says you don't get that here. 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Garrett Wilson can be a 1,400 + yard receiver. They really don't need to mortgage more of the future for Adams. They need an 800 yard guy who can be a # 2 and make sure Lazard lives up to his deal with 600 yards or so. Get a # 2 and a legit Tight End receiving target, to complement Garrett and Breece and they are in good shape.

Agreed. 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Garrett Wilson can be a 1,400 + yard receiver. They really don't need to mortgage more of the future for Adams. They need an 800 yard guy who can be a # 2 and make sure Lazard lives up to his deal with 600 yards or so. Get a # 2 and a legit Tight End receiving target, to complement Garrett and Breece and they are in good shape.

Everyone is hoping for adams, evans, pittman, or higgins but I'd like to see the team make a run at tyler boyd. Hes putting up 800ish yards as the 3rd WR. Playing behind higgins and chase has made him an under rated player. Instead of trying to get those big names at 20+ mill a year, i'd be completely fine going after him at a much better price. If I'm JD, i make a run at him immediately while everyone else is trying to get the bigger names.

I think there might be a better chance that we do a deadline deal for a guy like this.  If things are breaking right and Rodgers is playing well, we can mortgage a bit of future for a guy like this.  If the Raiders are not winning they will be happy to get out from the contract.  They went 5-4 under Pierce and beat everybody in their division after the bye, including the Chiefs who are in the AFC title game.  They are probably very rosy right now.  FWIW, I think trading for a part time pass rusher making $20M is low on everybody's list. 

• Upvote 2

Evans had a rough day Sunday with some early drops.

8 / 147 / 1TD on 12 targets was a "rough day"

I think he'd have been second on the Jets in 2023 with just that one game stat line.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

In two years he’ll be cohosting the #3 podcast on The Blaze Network with David Bakhtiari called “True Lies With Rod And Bakh”

While you are legitimately way funnier than Jimmy Kimmel, you also have to remember that he gets paid millions to promote these ideas (that he may or may not believe).

• Upvote 1

Getting the band back together is a gross strategy...
200.gif?cid=d9212ad9srpthrcugyior4ufurwo795tpg9kko4b4rzfrz3z&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200.gif&ct=g
Trading important capital for a 31 year old Adams with bloated contract is gross
Sign Evans to a  3 year with an easy out after 2 or Tee to a front loaded 4 year and lets roll.
How old is Evans ?... He's been around for a while.

Oh right he's gonna be 31 by September too.

• Haha 1

There are plenty of solid WRs on the UFA market.  Even aside from the big names like Evans, Higgins, and Pittman.  You could go for the next tier like Curtis Samuel, Hollywood Brown, Gabe Davis, or Tyler Boyd.  Van Jefferson is a guy I like a lot who will be pretty cheap.  Whoever you sign, you add in a prospect from the 3rd or 4th and you should be alright(as long as you don't **** up the pick).  Whether or not we end up with a true "number 2", as long as you add two solid targets to the equation it should open up a lot for this offense.  Guys like Nacua, Reed, Downs, and Dell proved this year that you can find solid contributors outside of the first 2 rounds.  

Sign a B-tier UFA.  Draft a kid in the 3rd or 4th(assuming you go OT in the 1st).  You should be fine.  Obviously I'd prefer a Garrett-Evans duo, but if we're being realistic....I don't think this would be the worst route to take.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Not sure about everyone else… but it seems very realistic we trade for Adams this offseason. LV doesn’t have a QB and Adams’ contract doesn’t make sense for them if they’re rebuilding or even further… not contenders.

We also heard we tried to make a trade for him at trade deadline and LV didn’t want to. But seems we clearly have interest.

Unlike some of Rodgers other “buddies”… this guy actually is completely worth it and a difference maker. Still a top 5-10 WR in the league. GE and Adams for me would be the best WR duo in the league.

No-god-please-no GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

How old is Evans ?... He's been around for a while.

Oh right he's gonna be 31 by September too.

Yeah... you're not making the point you think you are making.... Devante will be 32 in December of this year  Evans 31 in September of this year ...making Evans almost a full year younger. I'm essentially advocating for the slightly younger reciever who has never had below 1000 yards in a season in his career on a much more palatable contract.

If you want a receiver who will be 32 in season next year who will require premium draft capital to aquire  and has cap hits of 25 million in 2024, 44 million in 2025 and 44 million in 2026 you may have to take a look in the mirror.

bl73Ts(1).gif.bd8573a15e9399636d9027754dd9b3e4.gif

• Upvote 2

Yeah... you're not making the point you think you are making.... Devante will be 32 in December of this year  Evans 31 in September of this year ...making Evans almost a full year younger. I'm essentially advocating for the slightly younger reciever who has never had below 1000 yards in a season in his career on a much more palatable contract.
If you want a receiver who will be 32 in season next year who will require premium draft capital to aquire  and has cap hits of 25 million in 2024, 44 million in 2025 and 44 million in 2026 you may have to take a look in the mirror.
http://content.invisioncic.com/y326398/monthly_2024_01/bl73Ts(1).gif.bd8573a15e9399636d9027754dd9b3e4.gif

My point was simple ... They are very close in age ... Both over 30.

Adams is clearly the better player... Evans is the way cheaper option but still performs reliably and admirably.

• Upvote 1

Evans options will be long and honestly much better situations than we can offer.  I think you can start with the two most important thing for veterans ($ and ring).

I'd start with KC, Houston, Ravens as teams were we are significantly behind either in terms of chance to win (KC and Ravens) and tax/hometown (Houston).  Cant see him paying the NY/NJ premium to compete against those teams.

33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He will definitely break the bank. He just went from Brady to Mayfield and his numbers shot up. 

It's anyone's guess if his last WR1-type year will be this still-current season or 2-3 years from now. There's a longer list than most realize of non-Jerryrice receivers still performing high through age 33-34 and even a bit beyond.

• T.O.
  • Harrison
  • Fitz
  • Wayne
  • Galloway
  • McCardell
  • Driver
  • T.Brown
  • C.Carter
  • Rod Smith
  • Steve Smith

Evans is in or close enough to this group of WR, as it wouldn't be shocking for him to be top 10 all-time in both receiving yards and TDs when he finally calls it quits (though a lot of that depends on where he next ends up, too, and how long he wants to keep playing even through eventual 500-800 yard seasons).

Regardless, while the expectation is a falloff before then (like the much longer list of those who did), Evans is going to still get fully guaranteed a minimum of 2 years like a top 5 WR if he hits FA this offseason.

Do the Jets need Evans over a more complementary WR to GWilson? Probably not, but I'd rather the Jets throw an extra $8MM/year his way instead of finding their next Dalvin Cook and CJ Uzomah to receive it instead (never mind not paying Mosley another full $17MM). Higgins + Uzomah vs. Evans seems an easy decision.

A name I'm also keeping an eye on is Calvin Ridley.

He's a UFA. And will cost some money. He's 29 and likely looking for a pay day. I very well could see JAX resigning him. But I would welcome him here.

If I remember correctly too... didn't we have a trade in place for him with ATL and ATL did us a solid and told us that he was being investigated by the NFL for gambling? So we opted to retract our trade agreement after that?

35 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

There are plenty of solid WRs on the UFA market.  Even aside from the big names like Evans, Higgins, and Pittman.  You could go for the next tier like Curtis Samuel, Hollywood Brown, Gabe Davis, or Tyler Boyd.  Van Jefferson is a guy I like a lot who will be pretty cheap.  Whoever you sign, you add in a prospect from the 3rd or 4th and you should be alright(as long as you don't **** up the pick).  Whether or not we end up with a true "number 2", as long as you add two solid targets to the equation it should open up a lot for this offense.  Guys like Nacua, Reed, Downs, and Dell proved this year that you can find solid contributors outside of the first 2 rounds.  

DSign a B-tier UFA.  Draft a kid in the 3rd or 4th(assuming you go OT in the 1st).  You should be fine.  Obviously I'd prefer a Garrett-Evans duo, but if we're being realistic....I don't think this would be the worst route to take.

I get the point, but Reed actually went in the mid-2nd.  Downs and Dell in the 3rd.  Of the top 10 rookie receivers, I think only Nacua came from outside the first three rounds, though Dontayvion Wicks and Demario Douglas also had over 500 yards.  I think Trey Palmer was the only other guy outside the top 3 rounds that got over 300 yards.  Those other guys may eventually be very good, but if you want instant production (like hey, I have a 40 year old QB!) you are probably picking one early.

17 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I would file this only in jets fan dreams trade. I'm not sure why raiders would trade him away. Especially after this season he just had. He was a big part of of they are building.

Are we sure he won't break the bank (or at least try to)?  Why leave a comfortable situation in Tampa for the Jets unless he's getting paid extra to do so.
Plus there's a huge tax advantage to playing in Florida vs NJ. That's another reason why the Jets would have to pay a premium.
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'd like this route more too. Don't have to give up draft assets to get Evans.

I just question him coming here.

He's a guy that's played for TB his whole career, a team that just made it to the divisional round in the playoffs and no state taxes in FL.

We'd have to offer him quite a bit more for his take home money to be the same as it would be in TB.

Also if I remember those joint practices with TB didn't go very well. Didn't the practices have to get cut short bc there was just fighting going on? So if anything... those joint practices might have hurt us.

Valid points. I don't think much of the fighting was particularly involving Evans. But what the week gave him is an opportunity to get a feel for the facility and the environment, which are usually the hard sells to players who have never been here. 

As far as money: I think the Jets have lost out to several players over the past couple years due to line drawing. They usually have outbid the other team but they have drawn a line in the sand where they would be willing to go. This is the appropriate practice. However, I feel they may get a little reckless this year to lock in their guys out of desperation. So if Mike Evans wants 3-years, $84 million, I think they will give it to him. 

To me, Mike Evans will be a Buc or a Jet. There will be other options to explore but if the Jets zero in on him the way I expect them to and the Bucs have a hard time meeting Evans' requests, he's ultimately going to have to decide whether to re-sign for less or go elsewhere (like NY) for more. 

• Upvote 1

I think Puka went to the same HS as Zippy. He went to BYU.  That is a tight-knit community.  

The Rams, who know how to draft and scout, found him in the fifth round.

You kind of wonder why Zippy could not convince JD to draft Puka.  

1 minute ago, football guy said:

Valid points. I don't think much of the fighting was particularly involving Evans. But what the week gave him is an opportunity to get a feel for the facility and the environment, which are usually the hard sells to players who have never been here. 

As far as money: I think the Jets have lost out to several players over the past couple years due to line drawing. They usually have outbid the other team but they have drawn a line in the sand where they would be willing to go. This is the appropriate practice. However, I feel they may get a little reckless this year to lock in their guys out of desperation. So if Mike Evans wants 3-years, $84 million, I think they will give it to him. 

To me, Mike Evans will be a Buc or a Jet. There will be other options to explore but if the Jets zero in on him the way I expect them to and the Bucs have a hard time meeting Evans' requests, he's ultimately going to have to decide whether to re-sign for less or go elsewhere (like NY) for more. 

I think in many cases FAs go to the team that is willing to overpay them, although many have turned down better money from the Jets.

The Jets could be the team that overpays for Evans.  I don’t know where they are finding the money.  I can see the 2025 team being entirely UDFA.  

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

While you are legitimately way funnier than Jimmy Kimmel, you also have to remember that he gets paid millions to promote these ideas (that he may or may not believe).

The greatness of a man is not how much wealth he acquires, but in his ability to affect those around him positively.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get the point, but Reed actually went in the mid-2nd.  Downs and Dell in the 3rd.  Of the top 10 rookie receivers, I think only Nacua came from outside the first three rounds, though Dontayvion Wicks and Demario Douglas also had over 500 yards.  I think Trey Palmer was the only other guy outside the top 3 rounds that got over 300 yards.  Those other guys may eventually be very good, but if you want instant production (like hey, I have a 40 year old QB!) you are probably picking one early.

Yeah I forgot Reed went that early.  I remember him being mocked in the 4th for the most part so my brain went to that.  But yeah, obviously you have a better shot at getting a big contributor if you go WR early, but I guess the point is that even a 300 yard WR would be an asset to us next year as long as you bring in a solid veteran UFA who can man that #2 spot.  Ideally you hit on your 3rd rounder and he forces his way into that role, like Dell or Downs.  If not, you should still be getting enough production from your top-3 that you can live with 200-300 from your #4.  

Other than that though you're either paying Evans/Higgins/Pittman big money or you're crossing your fingers that Odunze or Bowers fall to 10.  It's certainly possible either of those things happen, but I wouldn't plan on it - especially the draft pick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

He's a UFA. And will cost some money. He's 29 and likely looking for a pay day. I very well could see JAX resigning him. But I would welcome him here.

If I remember correctly too... didn't we have a trade in place for him with ATL and ATL did us a solid and told us that he was being investigated by the NFL for gambling? So we opted to retract our trade agreement after that?

It was something like that. Jacksonville took a shot, and after going this far with him - including trading a pick away now for a player who was suspended until a season later - I'd be surprised if they then didn't lock him up for the next few years.

Truth is there's no FA they should be thumbing the team's collective nose at signing. If they go overboard with an elite WR they didn't "need" I'll just have to console myself that Douglas won't find someplace to immediately spend money that burns a hole in his pocket.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He will definitely break the bank. He just went from Brady to Mayfield and his numbers shot up. 

It's anyone's guess if his last WR1-type year will be this still-current season or 2-3 years from now. There's a longer list than most realize of non-Jerryrice receivers still performing high through age 33-34 and even a bit beyond.

• T.O.
  • Harrison
  • Fitz
  • Wayne
  • Galloway
  • McCardell
  • Driver
  • T.Brown
  • C.Carter
  • Rod Smith
  • Steve Smith

Evans is in or close enough to this group of WR, as it wouldn't be shocking for him to be top 10 all-time in both receiving yards and TDs when he finally calls it quits (though a lot of that depends on where he next ends up, too, and how long he wants to keep playing even through eventual 500-800 yard seasons).

Regardless, while the expectation is a falloff before then (like the much longer list of those who did), Evans is going to still get fully guaranteed a minimum of 2 years like a top 5 WR if he hits FA this offseason.

Do the Jets need Evans over a more complementary WR to GWilson? Probably not, but I'd rather the Jets throw an extra $8MM/year his way instead of finding their next Dalvin Cook and CJ Uzomah to receive it instead (never mind not paying Mosley another full $17MM). Higgins + Uzomah vs. Evans seems an easy decision.

Steve Smith Sr was one of the most physical mean and tough smaller receiver  I’ve ever seen. Dude went after the ball like it called his momma a bad name and owed  him money! Love watching that dude play. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, football guy said:

I'm surprised you think it's that high.  Evans, when healthy, is very much a top-10 talent but at age 31 (next September), with 3 minor hamstring injuries in the last 3 years, I don't see him getting Davante money ($28M/Y).  Diggs, Deebo, and DK are all around $24M/Y which feels more rational to me, but of course rational rarely has much to do with these things. 

I guess a lot depends on what TB is willing/able to do as you said, but 3 years of Mike Evans sounds really good to me.  Dude is probably the most consistent guy in the league.  The only concern is the 7 drops last season.  Hopefully not a trend.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm surprised you think it's that high.  Evans, when healthy, is very much a top-10 talent but at age 31 (next September), with 3 minor hamstring injuries in the last 3 years, I don't see him getting Davante money ($28M/Y).  Diggs, Deebo, and DK are all around $24M/Y which feels more rational to me, but of course rational rarely has much to do with these things. 

I guess a lot depends on what TB is willing/able to do as you said, but 3 years of Mike Evans sounds really good to me.  Dude is probably the most consistent guy in the league.  The only concern is the 7 drops last season.  Hopefully not a trend.

To be fair, Davante doesn't get Davante money either. Neither does Hill. Those contract averages are inflated by final nonsense/bloat years these players will never see. Adams isn't getting $36MM/yr in '25 and '26, and Miami's not paying Hill $45MM in 2025.

The real amounts are 3 yrs $75MM ($25MM per) for Hill and for Davante it's 3 years ~$67MM ($22.5MM per).

3/$84MM - a real $28MM/year - sounds way, way high to me, too, since it'd blow everyone else's contract out of the water on a per-year basis. That is, unless there are 2 years guaranteed at $24MM per and y3 is a non-guaranteed $36MM he 100% won't see.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I want no part of Ridley but beggars can;t be chosers.  Very inconsistent player imo

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I want no part of Ridley but beggars can;t be chosers.  Very inconsistent player imo

This offseason they offered up $18MM for Lazard ($11MM), Hardman ($4MM), and Cobb ($3MM). $34MM if you throw Lawson ($9MM) + Cook ($7MM) into that group.

$34MM for that new offseason spending, and not one of them contributed worth a damn.

That doesn't even count past errors they elected to keep even though the $ wasn't guaranteed (Mosley $17MM, D.Brown $9MM), nor past errors they locked into the prior year (Tomlinson $13MM, Uzomah $8MM). So even without Zach, those four add another $47MM. What's the tally up to so far, $81MM for this group of 9 players they could easily do without?

Ridley may not be all that, and yeah he may get badly overpaid an amount he never lives up to, but it's still good to keep spending on a true starter-hole in perspective. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Really surprised no one has suggested trading 10 overall for Jaxson Smith Njigba????

His value is at 15 not 10.

The real WR the jets need to pursue to solve their issues ,and I hear Rodgers likes him, is VAN JEFFERSON

• Haha 1