Would you take Darnold back?

Would you take Darnold back?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. If Wilson is traded, would you take Darnold back as a backup?

• Yes, I like misery
    • No, I like misery

Didnt want him the first time, def dont want him now. Despite what many of you have convinced yourselves he does NOT want to come back here, he has had the chance to experience what it is like to play for other teams in lesser media markets where he is not the center of negativitiy for an entire city 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Nah kid, go enjoy your career playing elsewhere, this ship has sailed. 

He is not going to come back here although the setup here would be perfect for him - sit behind an all-time great who may be gone in a year or two, no other QB on the roster that is the heir apparent. 

I suspect he stays in SF or goes to team like the Giants/Raiders/Broncos/Titans/Falcons where he can compete for the starting job and who are out of range for the top 3 first round prospects.

• Post of the Week 1

It really depends on what our other options are for a backup. Do we have to overpay for an aging Tannenhill? Is our only other cheap option back to back INT, stone legs Flacco? Are we forced to massively overpay for Brissett or Minshew, who probably want a chance to start somewhere? Then yes, I would prefer Darnold at a reasonable price.

OR do we have a chance to sign Tyrod Taylor on the cheap? That would be my #1 choice for backup to AR8 - taking cost, veteran leadership/professionalism and ability all into account. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Mindscew has now won 2 playoff games as a starter in this league.  

So as many as Lamar Jackson and half as many as Mark Sanchez.

Means nothing.

Darnold / Minshew - flip a coin - it's coming up meh regardless.

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

So as many as Lamar Jackson and half as many as Mark Sanchez.

Means nothing.

Darnold / Minshew - flip a coin - it's coming up meh regardless.

Minshew has a career TD:INT ratio of 59:24 while Darnold’s is 63:56.  18:17 since leaving the Jets if you want to ignore his Jets stats.  

But sure, same guy.  

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

What is wrong with you people? Can we raise the bar?? The worst part of disappointing seasons is reading this garbage.

Well it was Darnold vs Breece Hall and Max Mitchell. Choice was easy. This year is Darnold vs Simien, Flacco, Zach, or any other cast off. Darnold at backup isn’t really lowering the bar. To be fair, that will be our ceiling if AR was to miss again. 

Sam grew up in California surfing and now he’s with Shanahan and the 9ers and I’m sure got to meet Joe Montana last week. 

im sure he’s hoping to come back to the team that dumped him after setting him up to fail with no talent around him 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/6/2024 at 6:19 PM, Jetpain said:

Sam will have better options than coming back to Florham Park and listening to the fans and reporters 7 days a week asking questions about 3-5 years ago when he was here

Will he?  Why?  What has he done since the mediocrity he showed here, Carolina and in SF? 
The usual backup offers will come in

On 2/7/2024 at 10:27 PM, Larz said:

Sam grew up in California surfing and now he’s with Shanahan and the 9ers and I’m sure got to meet Joe Montana last week. 

im sure he’s hoping to come back to the team that dumped him after setting him up to fail with no talent around him 

He seems to be well liked in the 49ers locker room and by the CS and played decent when Purdy got injured.  He’s cheap.  He’s not leaving 

• Sympathy 1

I always liked Sam and in theory I think he's a pretty good backup. But I think there's too much baggage there.

With Hackett I'm not sure it matters who the backup is but just get a veteran who has actually stepped in and won games at some point in the last five years. All you can ask for.

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Will he?  Why?  What has he done since the mediocrity he showed here, Carolina and in SF? 
The usual backup offers will come in

As i said, he will have better offers.  If you were Sam, where would you rank the Jets as places for him to sign as a backup?  I think the Jets could be one of his worst options.  Lame duck year for the coaching staff, highest taxes, losing,  NY media, drama/history from the past being brought up regularly.  Just my opinion.  

1 hour ago, Jetpain said:

As i said, he will have better offers.  If you were Sam, where would you rank the Jets as places for him to sign as a backup?  I think the Jets could be one of his worst options.  Lame duck year for the coaching staff, highest taxes, losing,  NY media, drama/history from the past being brought up regularly.  Just my opinion.  

Along side anyone who is willing to pay.  If the Jets offered him the best deal he’d take it.  That’s pretty much how all FAs pick their next team.  Jets were very vocal in saying while they were moving in a different direction they weren’t blaming him, wished him luck and had respect.  No one cares about the NY media or the supposed lame duck coaching.  
What if all the excitement and contender predictions from last offseason come true with Rodgers starting this season?  Anyone getting fired?

On 2/9/2024 at 3:04 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

I always liked Sam and in theory I think he's a pretty good backup. But I think there's too much baggage there.

With Hackett I'm not sure it matters who the backup is but just get a veteran who has actually stepped in and won games at some point in the last five years. All you can ask for.

Sam is a west coast kid with a great gig holding a clipboard on a team with a great roster.  What we did to him was beyond a botch job he would rather retire than come back here

On 2/6/2024 at 5:17 PM, bicketybam said:
On 2/6/2024 at 5:14 PM, Jet2020 said:
Wilson will be traded or released this year per reports. We don’t have a backup QB behind AR. And Darnold will be in the market, again. As bad as he was, he was still better than the GILF hunter. 

Sure if he brings the Niners coaching staff with him.

Bingo.  WIth this coaching staff, Darnold, like so many of the other quaterbacks we've had will be awful. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2024 at 7:50 AM, Larz said:

He’s with the best franchise in the league.  He’s motivated to stay there I’m guessing 

Why would he want to come back?

The GM who traded him is still here.  He goes from a top coaching staff to possibly the worst offensive coaching in the league.  Unless this was his only option, why would he come back?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1