Thoughts on Trubisky as a backup?

You have to wonder, if someone put Zach Wilson in a blender w/ Mitch Trubisky and consumed this intoxicating cocktail, would the person who drank this delicious combination of the tastiest of overdrafted predraft risers mega busts the league has ever seen, learn not to do it again?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zachs Burner said:

That's what every team should do unless they're already clearly headed to the playoffs or are already in the playoffs. You don't continue the season expecting to win the superbowl with a backup at QB. It is what it is you lose and get a better draft pick for the next szn. 

This is the exact opposite of how good franchises operate.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

If douglas thinks that when rodgers gets hurt, that trubisky is going to get the jets over the hump and save his job, then woody should contact korn ferry now. 

I don't want Trubisky, but you could honestly say this about 99% of backups.  Tannehill, Minshew, Taylor.  Regardless of who we get, if Rodgers goes down we are ****ed once again.  The hope would be whoever your backup is keeps you afloat until Rodgers gets back, if he is capable of getting back for the playoffs.  Otherwise if you're relying on your backup to win you a Super Bowl, Nick Foles is the exception - not the rule.  We're in serious trouble no matter what veteran we bring in.  

I think the best chance you have of having a guy step in who excels is if you drafted a young QB and catch lightning in a bottle.  Only way this happens though is if we take a kid late, like Travis or Rattler, and then our veteran #2 ends up playing like sh*t.  Bad enough to the point where we give the rookie a shot.  Talking about bringing in a veteran is all well and good but no matter who that guy is, we're in trouble if he has to play.

7 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I don't want Trubisky, but you could honestly say this about 99% of backups.  Tannehill, Minshew, Taylor.  Regardless of who we get, if Rodgers goes down we are ****ed once again.  The hope would be whoever your backup is keeps you afloat until Rodgers gets back, if he is capable of getting back for the playoffs.  Otherwise if you're relying on your backup to win you a Super Bowl, Nick Foles is the exception - not the rule.  We're in serious trouble no matter what veteran we bring in.  

I think the best chance you have of having a guy step in who excels is if you drafted a young QB and catch lightning in a bottle.  Only way this happens though is if we take a kid late, like Travis or Rattler, and then our veteran #2 ends up playing like sh*t.  Bad enough to the point where we give the rookie a shot.  Talking about bringing in a veteran is all well and good but no matter who that guy is, we're in trouble if he has to play.

It speaks to how tough it is to find even decent backups.  Draft your own. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Cleveland made the playoffs with joe flacco.

Teams were forced to play  guys like purdy or kurt warner or nick foles or trent difler and won.

This is Douglas attitude, QB gets hurt we quit.

Neither Douglas nor Saleh quit.  This is a Jets fan fallacy.  They took a calculated risk, and moved forward with the belief that their $9.5m dollar backup quarterback, working in a new system, gave them as good a shot as any other JAG quarterback they could hire off the street.  Hindsight is 20/20, but honestly it's a sound, reasonable decision in that moment given that Zach does have some raw physical talent and had spent the entire summer getting reps with the team in practice and preseason games.

Flacco took over a 7-5 team and threw 8 interceptions in 5 games.  He proceeded to get completely exposed in the wildcard round.  Cleveland was a playoff team in spite of Flacco.

I'm all for taking a mid round quarterback (hell, I'd love to take one in round 1 but there is zero chance of it happening with a win now, lame duck GM and HC) and hoping the Jets strike gold.  But I'm certainly not going to get excited about some JAG vet backup that isn't going to move the needle if Rodgers goes down.

Trubisky is a jouneyman, failure of a quarterback.  There is essentially zero chance that a team like the Jets, with a proven track record of failing to develop a single quarterback for the past 20 years, are going to magically get something out of a guy like Trubisky.

The Jets will be signing a backup quarterback.  Zach is as good as gone.  It's probably going to be someone like Trubisky.  Does it actually matter?  Not really.

45 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Neither Douglas nor Saleh quit.  This is a Jets fan fallacy.  They took a calculated risk, and moved forward with the belief that their $9.5m dollar backup quarterback, working in a new system, gave them as good a shot as any other JAG quarterback they could hire off the street.  Hindsight is 20/20, but honestly it's a sound, reasonable decision in that moment given that Zach does have some raw physical talent and had spent the entire summer getting reps with the team in practice and preseason games.

Flacco took over a 7-5 team and threw 8 interceptions in 5 games.  He proceeded to get completely exposed in the wildcard round.  Cleveland was a playoff team in spite of Flacco.

I'm all for taking a mid round quarterback (hell, I'd love to take one in round 1 but there is zero chance of it happening with a win now, lame duck GM and HC) and hoping the Jets strike gold.  But I'm certainly not going to get excited about some JAG vet backup that isn't going to move the needle if Rodgers goes down.

Trubisky is a jouneyman, failure of a quarterback.  There is essentially zero chance that a team like the Jets, with a proven track record of failing to develop a single quarterback for the past 20 years, are going to magically get something out of a guy like Trubisky.

The Jets will be signing a backup quarterback.  Zach is as good as gone.  It's probably going to be someone like Trubisky.  Does it actually matter?  Not really.

As soon as Rodgers went down you look at the QB room and we had Wilson who was benched the year before for a reason and Tim freaking boyle.

And that is how it stayed for several weeks, while teams around us were going in guys that could play a bit we had wilson and boyle.

With the season still there and not lost Douglas did nothing for weeks and then got couch potato siemian.

4 plays into the year douglas and salehs jobs were safe and douglas did almost nothing to try and save the season.

Having been badly burned - and made to look both stupid and inept last season - I'm sure the Jets will aim high for a backup QB this year.  Guys like Brissett, Minshew and Tannehill will be the preferred targets. The big question is, will any of them actually want to come here?

These guys will have options, and they will get nice contract offers from a number of teams. The Jets might offer the most money, but they probably won't be offering the best opportunity.

At the end of the day, we might be lucky to get a guy like Trubisky.  He's not the backup that I want, but he is a lot better than what we had last year - and a guy like Trubisky might end up being the best the Jets can get this year. I hope not, but I could see it happening.

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Having been badly burned - and made to look both stupid and inept last season - I'm sure the Jets will aim high for a backup QB this year.  Guys like Brissett, Minshew and Tannehill will be the preferred targets. The big question is, will any of them actually want to come here?

These guys will have options, and they will get nice contract offers from a number of teams. The Jets might offer the most money, but they probably won't be offering the best opportunity.

At the end of the day, we might be lucky to get a guy like Trubisky.  He's not the backup that I want, but he is a lot better than what we had last year - and a guy like Trubisky might end up being the best the Jets can get this year. I hope not, but I could see it happening.

I agree.  After a season where there were so many qb injuries, quality backups are going to be in demand.  And everyone knows the jets are in win this year or the whole thing blows up again, so likely any deal isn’t going to be favorable for multiple years.  I hope this leads to them looking at qbs on day 2. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I agree.  After a season where there were so many qb injuries, quality backups are going to be in demand.  And everyone knows the jets are in win this year or the whole thing blows up again, so likely any deal isn’t going to be favorable for multiple years.  I hope this leads to them looking at qbs on day 2. 

Yup - if the Jets strike out on a quality backup in free agency, they might find their hand is forced into looking at a backup/QB of the future earlier than expected.

If they can get a Penix or a Pratt or a Rattler on Day 2, they could then fill the 3rd spot with a lesser veteran type - maybe even Siemian - to round out the QB room.

9 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

You have to wonder, if someone put Zach Wilson in a blender w/ Mitch Trubisky and consumed this intoxicating cocktail, would the person who drank this delicious combination of the tastiest of overdrafted predraft risers mega busts the league has ever seen, learn not to do it again?

You're missing a dash of Josh Rosen

10 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is the exact opposite of how good franchises operate.

No that's how middling teams stay average. The Texans this year are a great example of this. Traded away their star QB at the time in Deshaun Watson to gain picks. Tanked the next season and ended up with a Stroud who gives them potential to make a superbowl run as long as he is around. The Bengals just tried to win with a backup qb and stay alive after Burrow went down and all it did was cause them to have a worse draft pick. 

There's one overlooked footnote to this article ... Steelers also released the guy who started at RT for them to open the year. He lost his job to Jones after a falling out with Mike Tomlinson (not due to poor on field performance).

Experienced starting RT hits the open market ... can I get a "sign this beast"?

In addition to Trubisky, the Steelers released offensive lineman Chukwuma Okorafor (Steelers 2018 third-round draft pick; 59 career starts) and punter Pressley Harvin III (Steelers 2021 seventh-round pick). The moves will save roughly $13 million in salary cap space.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
10 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:
Both are better than Zach North Korea

So Joe Flacco would be ok with you? Let's get him for QB2. He's better than Zach.

In complete and honest hindsight knowing that Wilson has been an abject failure and disaster for the franchise, after signing Flacco in 2020 they should have just traded #2 overall and rolled with Flacco/Darnold for a couple of years. It would have been exponentially better than what we've watched the past 3 years. 

Granted, the Gase Error is impossible to ignore but Flacco looked FINE running LaFleur's Offense and flipping that 2021 #2 would have been very helpful.

But, here we are. Flacco, Josh Johnson, and Mike White were sacrificed in the defense of Zakopono, the future was tied to the hope that A Rod could single handedly fix everything... got hurt... and now we're back to Square 1.

Yay.

Foles is the exception, not the rule, but it is not as unprecedented as you make it seem.  Brady won his first super bowl in a season started by Bledsoe.  Simms went down and the Giants won with Hostetler.  Plunkett wasn't opening day starter on either of the Raiders teams he won the super bowl with.  Doug Williams won super bowl MVP in relief of Jay Schroeder, but only had two starts in the regular season and both were losses.  Vermeil started the Greatest Show on Turf because Trent Green got hurt in preseason, so Arena League vet Kurt Warner has to start and go 13-3.  The Ravens won their first with Trent Dilfer, but Tony Banks started the opener.   People here love the time that Fat **** was running the Jets, but before Vinny, they started Glenn Foley in the opener until he got hurt.  They even went back to him when he recovered.  In 2015 Peyton Manning won going full Pennington, but Osweiler started seven games.  

Much of this is ancient history and many of you guys were not even born for a ton of these games, but let's not act like it never happened and start waving the white flag the moment we lose a starter, especially if we are supposed to have a staff that believes in the defense.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2024 at 8:49 AM, bonkertons said:

Otherwise if you're relying on your backup to win you a Super Bowl, Nick Foles is the exception - not the rule.  We're in serious trouble no matter what veteran we bring in.  

Of course it's the exception, but it does happen.

Foles, of course.

Kurt Warner (was originally Trent Green's backup in 1999).

Tom Brady (was Bledsoe's backup in 2001).

Earl Morrall (was Unitas backup in 1968, and was  Griese's backup in perfect 1972).

Jim Plunkett (was Dan Pastorini's backup in 1980).

Roger Staubach (was Craig Morton's backup in 1971).

Doug Williams (was Jay Schroeder's backup in 1987).

Jeff Hostetler (was Phil Simms backup in 1990).

Trent Dilfer (was Tony Banks backup in 2000).

Long story short, a smart team that thinks it's a SB contender behind it's now twice-injured 41 year old QB.....would be wise to have a backup QB who can step in, especially when it's obvious the GM and Coaches are in a "win or don't get extended" season as they will be in 2024.

• Sympathy 1

On 2/12/2024 at 11:35 PM, Green Ghost said:

You guys are amazing.

Other than the 3-4 snaps we got from Rodgers, Mitch Trubisky would be the best QB this team has had under center since Fitzpatrick in 2017.

Yeah.  A straight up "no" to Trubisky shouldn't be happening in this thread.  Beggars can't be choosers.  He's certainly not my top choice for QB2, maybe not even top 5 (after all, 3 franchises have dumped him in the last 4 years) but he performed at a passable level as recently as '22 (7.0 YPA, 81.1 QB Rating, 14.1 % Bad Throw % over 7 games/5 starts). 

I'd absolutely include him among the options.

On 2/14/2024 at 12:14 PM, JustInFudge said:

It’s wierd that Trubisky is considered a monumental bust yet he’s still a significantly better player than Zach Wilson and Justin Fields

4 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s wierd that Trubisky is considered a monumental bust yet he’s still a significantly better player than Zach Wilson and Justin Fields

Nah, nothing weird about it at all.  Trubisky and Wilson were top 3 picks, predraft risers who were overdrafted and never had a chance to succeed because they sucked and always would stuck.  Fields wasnt even a top 10 pick, and that's despite the fact he Superstar and probably going to start in Pittsburgh and win a SB next season.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Nah, nothing weird about it at all.  Trubisky and Wilson were top 3 picks, predraft risers who were overdrafted and never had a chance to succeed because they sucked and always would stuck.  Fields wasnt even a top 10 pick, and that's despite the fact he Superstar and probably going to start in Pittsburgh and win a SB next season.

D52A254C-8902-4F34-B918-DB1E0C30EA37.thumb.jpeg.b3f5708be87f66b9435253ea29f1b240.jpeg

On 2/14/2024 at 4:20 PM, playtowinthegame said:

I'd rather have Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston, but I don't think Jameis wants to leave Nawlins for New York. 

Mariota stinks we can do way better.  Agree about Jameis he’s perfectly happy hanging out at Bourbon Street 6 nights a week while getting a paycheck to hold a clipboard