Why do most on this board not believe in Aaron Rodgers?

37 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Brett Favre gave us the best 11 game run this team has had in decades.  

Strongly disagree.  Beating a bunch of 2-14 teams and then a Titans team, that IMO was a paper tiger.  During this alleged glory period they managed to lose the Patriots in Matt Cassel's first start, were completely dismantled by a mediocre Chargers team and lost to the crappy Raiders who had just fired Kiffin. 

They beat the Dolphins in Pennington's first game, crushed the Cardinals (who had the same cross-country excuse the Jets used for SD), the Bengals (4-11-1), the Chiefs (2-14), the Trent Edwards led Bills (7-9), the Rams (2-14) and then squeaked Matt Cassel in OT in the rematch.  That is your great run.  A regular murderer's row.  All hail the conquering hero.  

Don't even get me started on the sh*tty teams we lost to when the Iron Man had his "arm injury."  

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

I think there are two things going on:

1) Most of us were extremely excited and/or optimistic for last season. The positive energy was palpable. And what did we get for being so uncharacteristically pumped? 4 offensive plays before having our season blow up in our faces. So, some of the pessimism is a natural reaction to being let down so hard just 5 months ago. 

2) Rodgers is old, coming off a serious injury, and looked old before he got hurt. Folks are worried that Rodgers is washed up. 

Plus Jordan Love got the Packers to the 2nd round of the playoffs.  It made it seem that the Packers sold us a classic car that had been in a head on collussion and kept it off car fax.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Strongly disagree.  Beating a bunch of 2-14 teams and then a Titans team, that IMO was a paper tiger.  During this alleged glory period they managed to lose the Patriots in Matt Cassel's first start, were completely dismantled by a mediocre Chargers team and lost to the crappy Raiders who had just fired Kiffin. 

They beat the Dolphins in Pennington's first game, crushed the Cardinals (who had the same cross-country excuse the Jets used for SD), the Bengals (4-11-1), the Chiefs (2-14), the Trent Edwards led Bills (7-9), the Rams (2-14) and then squeaked Matt Cassel in OT in the rematch.  That is your great run.  A regular murderer's row.  All hail the conquering hero.  

Don't even get me started on the sh*tty teams we lost to when the Iron Man had his "arm injury."  

We beat NE in NE in OT on Thursday night football the week before we beat the undefeated Titans in TN for our 5th win in a row.  The buzz coming out of TN was we might be the best team in the league and controlled our own destiny for the division and a bye.

• Upvote 1

The answer is pretty obvious.

It's a combination of age, major injury, showing signs of decline prior to joining the Jets, and a lack of sample size.  Jets fans have seen Rodgers for a total of two preseason drives and four regular season snaps.

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:
He hit a wall two years ago.  It was obvious watching him play.  Now two years older, coming off a very bad injury.
Put a fork in him!

Hell hath no fury like a Wilson fan scorned!

I am sorry to say it.  But Zach Wilson being bad isn't going to make 41 year old Aaron Rodgers good.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, MostlyHarmless said:

Reading through the board it appears a lot of fans are down on Rodgers and the Jets decision to acquire him. I don’t really understand this and think many of you don’t realize how good of a career Rodgers has had. 

Aaron Rodgers is on almost every top 10 list for greatest QB ever. Hes undoubtedly one of the greatest players ever to play the position. Is he old? Yes, is he past his prime? Sure. Still, I will not ever fault the Jets for acquiring this player. We are talking about a living, breathing, legend who very well may be the most physically gifted QB of all time. 

My advice to fellow Jets fans? Try to enjoy Aaron Rodgers this year. Chances are you will never see a more accomplished player wear a Jets uniform in your lifetime. 

Well, let's look at what has transpired so far.  The Jets paid for a 2nd round pick last year, plus moving down 2 spots in the first round, will pay a 2nd round pick for this year, and paid Aaron Rodgers  last year $37.5 Million Dollars, which amounts to over $9M per snap.

Rodgers pushed the Jets to sign Lazard, who has done nothing thus far, an over the hill wide receiver, and an offensive lineman who was a liability on the field.  

That is what he has done for the Jets thus far.  He will be turning 41 years old this year.  Why would any Jets fan be negative about Aaron Rodgers?  Shame on us!!!

15 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We beat NE in NE in OT on Thursday night football the week before we beat the undefeated Titans in TN for our 5th win in a row.  The buzz coming out of TN was we might be the best team in the league and controlled our own destiny for the division and a bye.

Because we played a bunch of tomato cans.  If you think that was better than 2010 you must really hate Rex.  I think their strength of schedule was was easier than the 2013 team that got Rex the extra year.  **** Brett Favre with the horse Bill Parcells rode in on. 

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

- the hiring of the worst oc in the whole league who would have not gotten an nfl oc job from any other team

I read this on here and it is patently false.  I know Hackett is a joke around here and I am not much of a fan.  I didn't like the hire at the time and I like it even less now.  Still, Hackett got a head coaching job based on his resume as an OC.  He has been an OC or higher since 2013 with the only exception being 2015 when he was QB coach in Jacksonville with Marrone Assistant HC.  I don't think he was a smart choice, but I don't think we should act like that means he'd be unemployed. 

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

Well, let's look at what has transpired so far.  The Jets paid for a 2nd round pick last year, plus moving down 2 spots in the first round, will pay a 2nd round pick for this year, and paid Aaron Rodgers  last year $37.5 Million Dollars, which amounts to over $9M per snap.

Rodgers pushed the Jets to sign Lazard, who has done nothing thus far, an over the hill wide receiver, and an offensive lineman who was a liability on the field.  

That is what he has done for the Jets thus far.  He will be turning 41 years old this year.  Why would any Jets fan be negative about Aaron Rodgers?  Shame on us!!!

Not only this, but there was no plan B for qb, we still have wilson, no 2nd rounder and major competition for backup qbs in the market.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Because we played a bunch of tomato cans.  If you think that was better than 2010 you must really hate Rex.  I think their strength of schedule was was easier than the 2013 team that got Rex the extra year.  **** Brett Favre with the horse Bill Parcells rode in on. 

I said the best 11 game stretch.  Sorry that went over your head.  I loved the 2009 and 2010 teams.  They were loaded.  I never really thought they were winning a SB with Sanchez at the helm.   I also wasn't impressed by how flat the 2010 team came out against the Steelers a team we had a legit shot to beat to get to the SB.  Rex was severly out prepared and outcoached in that game.  

That 2010 team got their ass handed to them by the Pats in the regular season.  The playoff win in NE while great appeared to be the Jets SB.  It wasn't and that's a lot on Rex. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I am a fan of having Rodgers on the team and being the QB next year...

That said, my thoughts on the situation changed after the year we had where we saw the front office and coaching staff are not up to the task.

I would feel a lot better going into the year with a new coach and front office.  If that new front office told the coach you have a year to go for it with rodgers, but take a qb early to sit behind him for the year to prep for the future.  I would be all aboard.

Instead, we have the same staff and front office, who aren't looking to the future because they are working for their jobs this year.  They likely wont take a developmental QB to sit behind Rodgers because they likely wont see him play, and even if they did, the new staff coming in will likely end up dumping him because they didn't pick him.

So going into this year with Rodgers, Saleh, and JD has me on the downside of the situation, only because we are delaying the inevitable and not preparing for the likely outcome. Instead, Woody is closing his eyes and throwing a dart and hoping for a bullseye.  When we know the likely outcome is a house cleaning and a new coach picking a young qb...whom we may have to TRADE UP to get because Rodgers is going to be good enough to keep us competitive but likely can't get over the hump.

The hope for August and September of 2024 is being overshadowed by the fear of September of 2025 and the lack of a coherent plan that doesn't lead us down a positive path.

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I said the best 11 game stretch.  Sorry that went over your head.  I loved the 2009 and 2010 teams.  They were loaded.  I never really thought they were winning a SB with Sanchez at the helm.   I also wasn't impressed by how flat the 2010 team came out against the Steelers a team we had a legit shot to beat to get to the SB.  Rex was severly out prepared and outcoached in that game.  

That 2010 team got their ass handed to them by the Pats in the regular season.  The playoff win in NE while great appeared to be the Jets SB.  It wasn't and that's a lot on Rex. 

An 11 game stretch beating sh*tty teams is borderline meaningless to me.  That SOS in 2008 was insane.  I like how you trumpet that drug addled dick pic senders mid-season run, but ignore what Rex did in 2010.  Coming off a shocking run in the 2009 playoffs they got to 9-2.  Yeah, they got hammered by the Pats in the next game.  You want to say the Pats playoff game was their super bowl?  Fair enough.  At least it was post season.  The 2008 teams "super bowl" was a mid-season game in Tennessee.  They sh*t the bed after that and nobody is even sure when Favre hurt his arm.  That story sort of molded to the narrative.  Sometimes he actually seems to say it happened before the Titans game. 

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

An 11 game stretch beating sh*tty teams is borderline meaningless to me.  That SOS in 2008 was insane.  I like how you trumpet that drug addled dick pic senders mid-season run, but ignore what Rex did in 2010.  Coming off a shocking run in the 2009 playoffs they got to 9-2.  Yeah, they got hammered by the Pats in the next game.  You want to say the Pats playoff game was their super bowl?  Fair enough.  At least it was post season.  The 2008 teams "super bowl" was a mid-season game in Tennessee.  They sh*t the bed after that and nobody is even sure when Favre hurt his arm.  That story sort of molded to the narrative.  Sometimes he actually seems to say it happened before the Titans game. 

I love trumpets.  Second only to rabbits.  

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

People keep missing the point with Rodgers completely.

If the Jets had signed an old vet with a great past resume and took a chance, like they did with Favre you shrug your shoulders and say well we tried to swing for the fences and it has not worked out so far.

The Favre move was at this point 1,000 times better.

He cost a 4th round pick to obtain.

He came by himself with no one else 'to make him comfortable'

His contract was easy to get away from when it did not work out.

The team was 8-3 and truly a serious contd until he got hurt and Mangini and Sutton spit the bit on defense.

Rodgers aside from himself cost.

- multiple high draft picks

- a cap killing contract that will haunt the jets in another year or two

- a legion of awful awful hanger on jag players brought in just to make him happy

- the hiring of the worst oc in the whole league who would have not gotten an nfl oc job from any other team

- the continuous drama of Aaron Rodgers

Dislike the one player and the fact he got hurt?   Not so much.   All the other stuff that comes with him has to this point made that move an epic failure.

Favre had one of his top 5 seasons the year after we got rid of him and went to the NFC finals.  Had we kept him the 2009 team might have had won the SB.  It was a real good team with a really bad QB.  If Rodgers can actually play as well as Favre did the 2nd year after we got him the Jets might actually have a chance to do some damage.

Of course the 2009 team was better than this Jets team on both sides of the ball with much better coaching. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I read this on here and it is patently false.  I know Hackett is a joke around here and I am not much of a fan.  I didn't like the hire at the time and I like it even less now.  Still, Hackett got a head coaching job based on his resume as an OC.  He has been an OC or higher since 2013 with the only exception being 2015 when he was QB coach in Jacksonville with Marrone Assistant HC.  I don't think he was a smart choice, but I don't think we should act like that means he'd be unemployed. 

I could care less what he did in jax 5 years ago.

He was totally dreadful in denver, that was a huge mistake on their part and they hired him for the same reason the jets hired him, they were after rodgers.  They could not get rid of him fast enough.

His numbers are awful and the eyeball test was awful, the jets had a historically bad offense last year and we hear him say brilliant stuff 3/4 though the year like 'gee i did not know breece hall was a good receiver.'

He is quite easily the worst oc in the league.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I believe the vast majority of people here understand he has a high ceiling. Unfortunately there are a lot of factors weighing on him for 2024. Coaching, poor OL, lack of serviceable receivers, his age, two years of injuries, etc. Most think we'll get a good year of performance out of him but it's fair to look at the totality of circumstances and not feel completely enthused by what the Jets paid to get 1-2 years of good QB play. 

You also have to keep in mind that there was a lot of excitement coming into the 2023 season. That died four plays into the season and resulted in another painful ZW season. Meanwhile, the guy was on ESPN every week adding to the circus. The team is going to have to build fan optimism over the offseason and it's not unreasonable for fans to defer rushing into optimism.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I could care less what he did in jax 5 years ago.

He was totally dreadful in denver, that was a huge mistake on their part and they hired him for the same reason the jets hired him, they were after rodgers.  They could not get rid of him fast enough.

His numbers are awful and the eyeball test was awful, the jets had a historically bad offense last year and we hear him say brilliant stuff 3/4 though the year like 'gee i did not know breece hall was a good receiver.'

He is quite easily the worst oc in the league.

Look, the guy sucked, but how historic is it really?  I mean they were 29th in points and 31 in yards.  That really sucks, but it isn't worst in either category.  Is that "historic?"  I don't agree that he is necessarily the worst OC in the league either.  You are basing that on stupid quotes?  I agree he seems like an idiot and I wouldn't have hired him, but I think there are plenty of idiots being hired every day in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Look, the guy sucked, but how historic is it really?  I mean they were 29th in points and 31 in yards.  That really sucks, but it isn't worst in either category.  Is that "historic?" 

Around November the Jets had the worst 3rd down conversion rate and red zone td rate in history 

By the end of the season they may have gotten that number up like worst in 10 years (I am too lazy to look these numbers up) but considering all the rule changes every year to promote scoring, yeah, it's pretty damn bad 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

This fanbase has been burned so many times that even if we had Mahomes 75% of posters here would be bitching and saying there’s no shot 

The best cure for negativity, pragmatism, cynicism and doubt is winning and on-field success.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

I'm not worried at all. I think the jets are going to challenge buffalo in a major way for the division. Rodgers with this defense, improved oline and weapons is simply going to be very difficult to beat. 

The jets have had the worst QB play in NFL history through the past three years. 

Pretty sure we can get to 11-12 wins if we draft well and fill a few holes. If we get lucky I can see 13 wins.

Ppl really forget how frickin awesome Rodgers is

My dream is The Jets vs Bills in the AFC championship. I want to see that game for me and my father.