Joe Douglas Betting on Himself With Bryce Huff Compensation

Joe Douglas

If the rumors we’ve heard in recent days are true, it’s fair to say Jets GM Joe Douglas his betting on himself when it comes to the Jets contract situation with edge rusher Bryce Huff.  Two stories that broke this week put Douglas under the microscope.

First, a story from The Athletic claimed the Jets could be on the verge of losing Huff to the Philadelphia Eagles who are going to make a strong push to add the edge rusher.  That was followed by another story that claimed Joe Douglas had turned down multiple trade offers for Huff during the 2023 season.

On the surface, this would be a huge blunder by Douglas.  To have a player of Huff’s caliber walk out the door for nothing in return would be a very bad look.  But is Douglas betting on himself here?

If he believes he’ll be around beyond 2024, perhaps Douglas thinks the comp pick he could receive for Huff will be of greater value than the picks he was being offered this year.  For example, if the best offers he was getting were for a  fourth or fifth-round pick, Douglas may believe he’ll get a pick in round 3 in 2025.  If that’s the case, why give up a player for far less in return?

The tricky part now though, is getting that premium compensatory pick for Bryce Huff.  Should the Jets land a big fish or two in free agency, that may cancel out anything the Jets would have gotten for Huff and letting him leave for nothing in return could only be described as a huge failure.

The post Joe Douglas Betting on Himself With Bryce Huff Compensation appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

Douglas won’t be around to receive that compensatory pick. And it should be noted - a pick next year is worth less than a pick this year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Hence the title of the article.  He's betting he will be.

And a 5 or 6 is never more valuable than a 3 if that's what Douglas is hoping for.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Hence the title of the article.  He's betting he will be.

And a 5 or 6 is never more valuable than a 3 if that's what Douglas is hoping for.

Actually, using your article of a 4th, a 2024 4th is actually better than a round 3 2025 compensatory pick.

• Upvote 1

I thought the "betting on yourself" aspect would be that we just drafted WMD IV and we're confident we'll develop him.

For all the laughs we have at this team's expense, we do develop defensive talent under this regime - especially d-lineman.

I love Huff, but I'd gamble and let him test free agency. 

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I thought the "betting on yourself" aspect would be that we just drafted WMD IV and we're confident we'll develop him.

For all the laughs we have at this team's expense, we do develop defensive talent under this regime - especially d-lineman.

I love Huff, but I'd gamble and let him test free agency. 

The sad part is they developed Huff, an undrafted FA, and are now ready to let him leave. That bothers me.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The sad part is they developed Huff, an undrafted FA, and are now ready to let him leave. That bothers me.

Understand that, but if someone is willing to pay him 17-20 M per year, then I'd rather use that money on offensive lineman this offseason and have confidence that the same guys that developed Huff can develop McDonald. 

A lot of this depends on how Huff gets paid. If he gets 13 M a season from the Eagles, we'll all be pissed. If he gets 18 M a year from the Giants, I'm not gonna be that salty. 

• Upvote 1

Jets have a lot of good pass rushers, so probably Saleh wasn't counting on Huff to carry our Dline. In fact, Saleh may have been told to keep Huff a bit under wraps, hoping for a good but not great season. This would allow Joe Douglas to re-up Huff on a reasonable, team friendly deal. THEN, turn him loose in 2024 and beyond.

Prior to the 2023, Huff was very much a situational pass rusher. Huff was considered a liability in run support. The Jets knew Huff was much more than a situational pass rusher, but were determined to re-sign him b4 word got out.

But Huff's play in 2023 put an end to that strategy....Huff played very well, even against the run. The cats out of the bag, and Joe D knows it. 

Yes, we probably shoulda shipped him out at the trade deadline, and as far as we know Joe may have actually tried, but didn't receive any good offers (at that time). Huff's continued great play the remainder of the season more or less wrote his ticket outta here, and at this point there's nothing Joe Douglas can do about it, other than to fire Saleh for playing him so much...which is still possible. Joe may be looking for a fall guy pretty soon.

2 hours ago, JetsMetsRangers said:

Unfortunately you can't tell by their records either, in fact JD has a worse winning % with a better roster.......;)

I wonder if injuries and coaching have played a part in how the team has performed.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hawk said:

Actually, using your article of a 4th, a 2024 4th is actually better than a round 3 2025 compensatory pick.

Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy has said repeatedly that rounds 4-7 this year are particularly weak/thin because so few kids declared compared to previous season.  Could have played a role if the Jets scouting department feels the same way.

This doesn't mean some players won't be found in those rounds, but it may be slim pickings.

A sure-thing trade for a mid-round pick seems a lot more certain and helpful in the short-term than hoping for a comp pick that, in order to get, requires we don't sign good FA's for the GM/Coach's lame duck season.

yufF91UPVSMCtbb%2B4w=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

4D chess my ass, this guy as shown to be pretty much a slight upgrade on MacCoffee.

Yeah completely revitalizing the roster, fixing all that is the front office yeah really crap job. People like you mistify me. No concept of what a good GM is just ridiculous takesoke Joe is a slight upgrade over Mac.

Joe literally got us Aaron freaking Rodgers on top of that master ful draft, literally turning trash into gold

• Upvote 2

I'm out on everything Jets other than I hope they win. The incompetence from owner down is glaring. I'm not excited about free agency, the draft, much less Rodgers coming back. The Jets oooze loser mentality and stunningly wear it very well and proud. 

Hopeful  woody will sell very soon! 

• Post of the Week 2

It is such a mistake by Douglas. If there is no intent to keep him, why not trade him at the deadline? The franchise had to know that they would be aggressive in free agency, and that could negate any potential compensatory pick they could get. It was a needless and stupid risk.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

It is such a mistake by Douglas. If there is no intent to keep him, why not trade him at the deadline? The franchise had to know that they would be aggressive in free agency, and that could negate any potential compensatory pick they could get. It was a needless and stupid risk.

JD should have known that 2023 was shot at the deadline and Huff should have been traded.  Even Becton is someone would pay.  

• Upvote 3

Why is the jets front office having thoughts on a 25 comp pick if the urgency is to win now with Rodgers. If it's not, than why not entertain a promising QB prospect like McCarthy at ten. 

I swear to God I hate the discombobulated cognitive dissonance of this front office. 

Its almost like there's no overarching philosophy. Jesus Christ 

You got Rodgers, go all in. If not, then take McCarthy

Do something that makes sense

You don't just let Huff go and throw your arms up. I'm getting pissed off typing this. Nobody just lets young ascending pass rushers go

8 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Understand that, but if someone is willing to pay him 17-20 M per year, then I'd rather use that money on offensive lineman this offseason and have confidence that the same guys that developed Huff can develop McDonald. 

A lot of this depends on how Huff gets paid. If he gets 13 M a season from the Eagles, we'll all be pissed. If he gets 18 M a year from the Giants, I'm not gonna be that salty. 

Why wouldn't you trade him then. It makes absolutely no sense. Once Rodgers got hurt, it should've obviously been on the table. It had to logically, unless Douglas wasn't thinking ahead which is looking more and more like what happened. 

Foresight is a massive part of being a gm, really any manager honestly. Anticipation of problems or an opportunity on the horizon seen through the fog of change

I'm concerned 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Why wouldn't you trade him then. It makes absolutely no sense. Once Rodgers got hurt, it should've obviously been on the table. It had to logically, unless Douglas wasn't thinking ahead which is looking more and more like what happened. 

Foresight is a massive part of being a gm, really any manager honestly. Anticipation of problems or an opportunity on the horizon seen through the fog of change

I'm concerned 

If teams are trying g to rip you off and give you a day 3 pick when you can get a top 100 pick, you don't trade him.

If you go out and sign a FA that immediately negates Huff then it was a dumb move.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

If teams are trying g to rip you off and give you a day 3 pick when you can get a top 100 pick, you don't trade him.

If you go out and sign a FA that immediately negates Huff then it was a dumb move.

i mean but we obviously have to sign some free agents. and based on our needs they should be the type that would negate losing huff, as far as comp picks go anyway. douglas is a damn fool if the comp pick is what he was hoping for from losing huff. 

48 minutes ago, JetsMetsRangers said:

Sure but come on this is going into year 6 and sorry 27-56 is awful no matter what........You get paid to win i thought.......

The GM can only put the roster together.  He can't prevent injuries or coach 'em up.

If fans want to obsess over the record which was bound to suck for the first few seasons and ignore the fact that they had top 10 Super Bowl odds before the injuries hit then that's up to them.

I'm just glad ownership recognized what kind of roster was assembled before everyone got hurt.

55 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

i mean but we obviously have to sign some free agents. and based on our needs they should be the type that would negate losing huff, as far as comp picks go anyway. douglas is a damn fool if the comp pick is what he was hoping for from losing huff. 

Maybe there's a world in which a day 3 pick is better than a day 1 or 2 pick.  I just don't live in that world.

Now if Huff walks and another FA cancels him out and they lost a draft pick then it is a big blunder by Joe.

If his OL additions can finally stay healthy along with AR and they win 10+ games then he's back again for 2025.