Jets sign Tyrod Taylor

6 minutes ago, Plen T said:

It’s good for this year but this guy is 35

next year they need to follow the Packer model and draft a QB early

Ok.  How does that equate to being a downgrade from Zach Wilson tho?

Is it your belief that keeping Zach would mean we don't have to draft a QB in our near future?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

$18 mil is a lot of scratch for Tyrod Taylor.

Well it's "up to" $18MM, meaning if he doesn't start (or doesn't start much) his base is surely less than that.

Otherwise? It's the Jets tax @Mogglez referenced yesterday. He's been a $5.5MM/year QB every year since 2019 across 3 different teams, and the injuries have only mounted up even more since then, with the lone exception being the year he wasn't used/needed (2022).

He's a clear QB2 upgrade over Zach (or really, everyone/anyone on last year's roster). The obvious issue is his injury history suggests he'd only be a very short-term upgrade. So, OK if we need him for 1-2 games (or to finish a partial game or step in for a series or two), but any appearances beyond even two starts and you'd have to almost expect he'll leave the game early. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well it's "up to" $18MM, meaning if he doesn't start (or doesn't start much) his base is surely less than that.

Otherwise? It's the Jets tax @Mogglez referenced yesterday. He's been a $5.5MM/year QB every year since 2019 across 3 different teams, and the injuries have only mounted up even more since then, with the lone exception being the year he wasn't used/needed (2022).

He's a clear QB2 upgrade over Zach (or really, everyone/anyone on last year's roster). The obvious issue is his injury history suggests he'd only be a very short-term upgrade. So, OK if we need him for 1-2 games (or to finish a partial game or step in for a series or two), but any appearances beyond even two starts and you'd have to almost expect he'll leave the game early. 

Agreed. If you seen my posts about this (other than the one quoted) I think we’re on the same page here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Not when you consider another season hinges upon a 40+ year old recovering from an Achilles tear. Denial speak about the realities of this said he’d be back last year, I said a 40yo isn’t going to set the new recovery standard on an injury that takes 1-2 years to fully recover from. I was right.

I think the Jets should 100% pay the price for a veteran than can step in, win some, and be the bridge to a young QB they draft this or next year.

I have very little confidence in us ever seeing HOF caliber play from Rodgers. I hope to be wrong.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Not when you consider another season hinges upon a 40+ year old recovering from an Achilles tear. Denial speak about the realities of this said he’d be back last year, I said a 40yo isn’t going to set the new recovery standard on an injury that takes 1-2 years to fully recover from. I was right.

I think the Jets should 100% pay the price for a veteran than can step in, win some, and be the bridge to a young QB they draft this or next year.

I have very little confidence in us ever seeing HOF caliber play from Rodgers. I hope to be wrong.

Based on recent history, Rodgers is an iron man compared to Taylor 😅

14 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Based on recent history, Rodgers is an iron man compared to Taylor 😅

Based on age and injury type, odds don’t favor AR is all I’m saying. I know Taylor has his own injury mess to be concerned about.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Am I wrong for having preferred Huff back on the tag than spending on Taylor and Kinlaw?

If you're not factoring in Zach Wilson being further away from ever taking a snap for the Jets again, no.  But it's fair to feel underwhelmed by both guys as day 1 signings.  Simpson I can dig but was there actually a market for either Taylor and Kinlaw?  idk 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JustInFudge said:

If you're not factoring in Zach Wilson being further away from ever taking a snap for the Jets again, no.  But it's fair to feel underwhelmed by both guys as day 1 signings.  Simpson I can dig but was there actually a market for either Taylor and Kinlaw?  idk 

We could have cut Mosely and kept Huff

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

He would rather start 45,000 threads grinding the axe about Zach being the backup in 2024 and then another couple complaining about signing the actual 2024 backup 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I wasn’t overly excited about spending on a backup to overcompensate for Zach being not NFL worthy. The Jets can never think rationally. Zach should have been cut last year and White brought back on the two year deal Miami gave him. Having a backup that wasn’t Zach was really all we need. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

He would rather start 45,000 threads grinding the axe about Zach being the backup in 2024 and then another couple complaining about signing the actual 2024 backup 

Zach should have been cut last year. He should be cut now. He remains on the roster. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I wasn’t overly excited about spending on a backup to overcompensate for Zach being not NFL worthy. The Jets can never think rationally. Zach should have been cut last year and White brought back on the two year deal Miami gave him. Having a backup that wasn’t Zach was really all we need. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Zach should have been cut last year. He should be cut now. He remains on the roster. 

1. Taylor > White

2. agreed

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I'd much rather have Taylor than White.

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Generally if you lose your first two QB's for the season, it's the end of the line. Doesn't matter who your 3rd string QB is.

That’s why you need a 3rd and 4th string set of backups in place.

Patrick Dangerfield Thinking GIF by geelongcats

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I would leave Zach on the roster until the week of game 1 just to break your balls.  
Your obsession with Zach Wilson is way over the top. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

8 hours ago, bicketybam said:

It's pretty much the market these days.

It’s UP TO $18 mil.  
He’d have to meet whatever thresholds are in his deal in each of 2 seasons.  
Thresholds that we don’t know are even reachable 

• Upvote 2

Great signing.  Let's cut through the bull.  Taylor is a fine backup.   Is he good if you need him for 10 starts?  Maybe not, but unless you are paying a Minshew type, who is?  We need the money for an OT.  If Tyrod gets 2 starts and finishes a game or two, he will be just fine.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hmhertz said:

I hate the often injured tiny stupid( 15 Wonderlic) bastard.

the guy those no good Fu*ks the Giants replaced him with is a better signing

You lose like 5 Wonderlic points on your first sentence. 
BTW, Dan Marino scored a 15 on his test.  Told a lot, right?

Tyrod Taylor was the best QB the Giants threw out there a year ago.  

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I would leave Zach on the roster until the week of game 1 just to break your balls.  
Your obsession with Zach Wilson is way over the top. 

Bro you couldn’t wait to run in here to tell us he was dating your cousins uncles twice removed roommate. Sit this out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Bro you couldn’t wait to run in here to tell us he was dating your cousins uncles twice removed roommate. Sit this out.

Other than I knew for months and months and then threw it out there as an aside to shut you up and your insistence that he wasn’t in NJ while I knew for a fact he was.  And even with that info I bring him up 1/10th of the time than you do.  
So you can sit this dance out.  

Tyrod Taylor is now a complete disaster.  If they do draft a rookie QB, the kid will be playing by week 2, way before he is ready.  Seeing ghosts by week 6.

Tyrod could get injured during a massage...